Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix playblast timeline feedback

The timeline time marker frequently doesn't update properly when playblasting scenes. This makes it impossible to see the progress of the playblast and/or tell if Maya has frozen. When playblasting dozens of times a day (a regular occurence), this is a huge problem.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Human IK so that generated controller objects are properly zeroed out.

Currently the Human IK tool generates controller objects that do not have zero values. This is a huge no-no from an animation perspective, and really, really undermines the otherwise great value of this tool. Please fix so that controllers are zeroed out.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. XSI-like easy to tear off channel box for exposing channels for multiple objects

in XSI it used to be that I could select an object, press alt enter, and get access to that objects transforms in a floating window,
    then I could do that for other object and copy paste from one torn off channel (or attribute) window to another. I can't figure out how to do it in maya, I've had to use a notepad, which i had to copy and paste from

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. fix graph editor on 4k monitors

the graph editor region tool does not work properly on a 4k monitor. it works fine on 1080p monitors

I cannot select a number of curve points, reigion select a box of points, and then scale easily, it takes a few tries before I can select a proper handle

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. animation playback for specific window

in XSI you could select which window to playback (or all windows) the animation when you scrubbed the timeline or graph editor timeline or press the play button

I'd like to lock a specific window to only playback that one window so maya is faster. even if i tear off a window, I'd like to lock that specific window to animate only that one, or all windows.

right now it's "which window is currently selected" but it doesn't even do that..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. solo objects render solo

in XSI I could solo objects and render that window with only the selected objects. in maya if I solo objects (isolate select) it still renders the whole scene. I can work faster if I send fewer objects to the renderer.

my render engine is redshift.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. allow multiple navigational keys (alternate alt key)

in XSI the nav key was "s" which made sense because all the other manipulation keys were around it.

in houdini, it's spacebar which makes even more sense, because nav is the most used tool in a 3D program, and spacebar is the most accessible button on a keyboard

in maya the nav key is alt, which makes me force my hand into non-natural poses for long periods of time. I just want to be able to bind another keyboard button to do exactly what alt does in the hotkey menu so I don't get arthritis or carpal tunnel or…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. XSI-like graph editor keys with weighted handles that are free length

I want a new curve type that was similar to XSI or even After effects curves, where the curve handles are connected by default, but have free tangent lengths. I have to keep locking and unlocking keys which takes more time than needed

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. XSI-like graph editor point drawing

in XSI there was the ability to draw points on a curve by just clicking while holding down "i"

not like the way it is now, where you insert a new key in maya, but you could actually just draw points randomly, I used it to add variance in my animation curves, like noise to make it less mechanical. it was a fast way to add things.

I want it back

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. XSI-like cog control

in XSI if you selected several objects, the transform handle could be set to COG, which would let you rotate all selected objects from the center of what was selected.

right now in maya, if i wanted to do that, I have to make a group, which doesn't work if i'm animating stuff inside a rig.

please add more object controls like XSI had.
    the current maya 2017 move setting is a good start, add the congruent move in there for multi objects

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make it possible for a node not to inherit its parent's visibility

It is often frustrating to have a node inherit it's parent's visibility. For instance, during the rigging process I often want to hide the joints of a character's arm without hiding his finger joints. A checkbox in Settings & Preferences for 'Inherit Visibility' would be great. There is no workaround to this problem, as far as I know.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Maya 2017 Update 3 - Multi-cut problems and ideas.

Multi-cut is a very effective tool. But lately, I've been facing some problems with it, and missing out useful stuff.

I will post one problem I am having:
    If you have a kinda dense mesh object, Multi-Cut will not perform a loop split, even if the loop line is displayed when hitting Ctrl. If you complete the action, It will make a near edge cut display only. This gets even more complicated with symmetry.
    If you try the Insert Edge Loop Tool workaround after that (with symmetry turned on), Maya will crash with a fatal error.

Now, the idea:
    This…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Why is there a limit on the zoom-in within the Graph Editor?

In Maya 2017 a limit has been set on the amount you can zoom in within the Graph Editor. The limit is roughly set on about 1 frame, so the width of the area you're looking at is a minimal of 1 frame wide.

I don't understand why this has been added in the first place, but I find it incredibly annoying, as keys can sometimes be displaced by other keys, and so are not on, say, frame 1038, but frame 1038.004.. This means that currently one can't zoom in to see what's going on and remove the keys we…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop Expression Editor from clearing half-written expressions

Never understood why the Expression Editor will erase whatever you have written in there every time you click out of the Expression window. What is the advantage of this behavior? I frequently want to cut and paste long attribute names as I'm writing an expression, but to do this I have to use the Script Editor, as even clicking back into the attribute list of the SAME NODE I am working on will flush the Expression window.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. game exporter = too many clicks

Truly a small annoying thing but constantly having to press to close the 'Game Exporter Export Successful' dialogue AND also clicking to close the game exporter window (because it doesn't stay in front of the main Maya window when maximising) is really annoying.
    I would like an option to disable the 'export successful' dialogue and take it one step further and have an option to ignore the 'replace file' dialogue too. All of these changes will help speed up the iteration process.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 2017 The toolbox on the left only has options for 3 layouts now instead of 6. All that empty space!

I make a lot of layouts depending on what I'm doing.
    I found that 6 wasn't enough, but now with 2017 upgrade, there are only 3 in the left hand side tool box.
    Why reduce functionality?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Box sliders instead of Horizontal bars sliders | they make panels too wide

while they are a nice visual elements in such complex interfaces like Maya they are redundant and take too much real estate in an UI which is already crowded.

Simple box value with sliders like Max will basically cut by half the width of the panels and will allow several panels side with plenty of viewport space.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Xray mode in Viewport 2.0 not working with arnold shaders

I really wonder, why Arnold shaders are not displayed correctly when I activate Xray in viewport 2.0? (Maya 2017 SP3)
    Example: maya lambert shows up xrayed in viewport, but not the Arnold aiStandard shader.
    Hope you will fix this, thanks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)