What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Bring back the toolbar icon style from Maya 2015.

The new single-color toolbar icons in Maya 2016 are hard to distinguish from one another, and slow down the user's workflow.

139 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Peter S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those who suffer from eye problems and hate colors should either look for work in a field where color does not matter, or simply close all those parts of Maya interface that bother them. At least that is not too hard.
    In 20 years since Maya was released I have NEVER heard or seen anyone complain about "too many colors" in Maya icons.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new icons are perfect example of the new philosophy of Maya development: form over function.
    Someone mentioned good old Alias Studio. That software has stayed largely the same, interface-wise and it still kicks Maya's ass, some 20 years later.
    Instead of introducing downgrades and trying to sell them as improvements, focus on NOT changing things that work, and improving those that are broken. How simple is that?

• g2mxagent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See the new interface of Houdini16? That is the right design.
    Windows8 /10 "big color block" is totally wrong.

• etacarinae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anti skeuomorphism is cancer and the interface is abhorrent since the switch in 2016 and carried on to 2017. Depth, colour, gradient. These are all important elements of distinguishing interface elements from one another. You have destroyed Maya.

• Jaro0307 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I love the new flat design and its color accents and I hope that soon, all of the icons will have the new look. Good design starts at the beginning and you can always build on that. I personally haven't come across anything that was ''indistinguishable'' and I must say that the flat grey areas help me better concentrate on stuff. I cannot understand how so many people want a program that looks like a flea market-like instead of one that takes a step back too make you better focus on creating your fancy stuff ( or flea markets)

• g2mxagent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all this poor design from the Microsoft's windows 10, Maya is just imitating its clumsy design!

• johnkeates2865 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice that 2017 update 1 now puts colour coding back into the outliner! It is odd though that locators are blue in the outliner but green in the viewport. Best to keep them green no?

• vfx_ranger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best UI i´ve seen was 1996 Power Animator 8.5. You could really see the icons, and understand what they meant.
    Maya´s icons have been small, but readable all this years. This new 2017 icons are sooo hard to read. I had to name all of them but ... surprise! the text covers 30% of the icon itself so its even a worse problem.

You want to remain competitive? SOLVE THIS ISSUE and lots of users will be very happy.

• kobataro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate to say this but, Maya 2016's "New Outliner Icon" and "New UI" makes our work efficiency "Extremely Slow"

Looks cool, but UX is horrible.

• doubleomark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All that time Autodesk wasted creating new icons for Maya 2016 so users now have to re-learn all the icons all over again. Totally annoying and pointless.

• arvmetal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like a toy interface, worse than Truespace had. Thanks for the Play-Doh experience!.

• OvidiusTiberius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shelf Buttons are the biggest pain. They all look the same when you add them to the shelf. They contain no colors whatsoever . The human eye is faster distinguishing colors then small tiny shapes ! Put some colors in those buttons please! Live the fanciness and embrace practicality !

• jspoto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to say, having used PowerAnimator, and Maya since version 1.0, this is the worst UI change in the history of the software. Why would a company like Autodesk allow a design firm to pass off student-level UI work as a legitimate UX improvement?

* The colors themselves: Are terrible, and meaningless with respect to the "historical" colors in the Maya UI, as well as any continuity with the default colors in the viewports
    * Color as a design tool: Shape, line and color are the tools one has to work with, in icon design. So what do they do? Take away all meaningful color variations intra-icon, and apply new colors with no variation per icon set.... thank you Maya! Thank you for telling me what I already know -- that I'm looking at the animation icons, with no other useful color info.
    * Colors as function: Blue meant surface. Red meant action. RGB together indicated axes. This was USEFUL INFORMATION that lead my eye and gave me literal-at-a-glance feedback. This is gone.

This isn't a rant about change being difficult -- it's about change for what I believe to be measurably for the worse. Change that likely cost valuable dev. resources that no customer asked for, and that has a negative net value.

Please rethink this initiative and view through the lens of what worked before, and my points listed above. And please hire someone else do to it (and NOT PIVOT DESIGN: http://www.pivotdesigngroup.com/project/maya/)

The other day, someone was asking me if it was worth upgrading to 2016. I had to say that it wasn't, just for this reason. If you are going to have colour coding, have it within categories, not between them. The categories overlap anyway (as the current menu scheme acknowledges). What's next... have the x,y and z axes the same colour because they are all axes?

At least the mirror weights icon (one of the few that I use) stayed the same (strangely).

Yep, we need colour coding in the outliner to quickly see what is going on. I can't easily tell if a render layer is on or off. It's a step back.

• henningko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, it looks cool and all but usability has suffered. I find myself second-guessing on the toolbox and in the outliner. You don't have to go all the way back, but please put a little color back in.

• gamnamno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Pixar animators work properly with this, I take my hat off. (I already do for many things but...)

• arvmetal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new look of Maya is horrible, the new icons are too identical, is incredibly hard to distinguish between them, is the worst experience I have had in any 3D software. IMHO the new aspect of Maya doesn't look good, looks too girly, even if some ones likes it, is preferable to have a useful, fast to read interface instead a "pretty" one.

• Rafael Segnini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is nonsense. The icon change made experience better. They're more readable and clean. Makes Maya looks awesome.
    Going against the new icons is going against natural evolution of the software and kinda disturbs new users. And, by the way, Maya suffers a lot from that - old users used too much in doing things old ways. That's why 3Ds Max lately got the upper hand in innovations.
    I do think that could have a preference setting to change the icons back to the old style. But definitely bringing back old icons instead of new ones is nonsense.

• heavensnearby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first thing the brain recognizes is the color, now with tiny, mono/ duo chromatic icons is near impossible to work. Any time I want to use some button I have to waste few seconds putting the cursor and wait for flags to tell me what is what. Dispose the Windows 8/ Cinema 4D like color scheme, is useless and awful.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base