What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Add a powerful renamer tool with useful options like prefix, suffix, etc.

This is such an important tool for scene organization. Everybody uses these, but Maya should come with a powerful one right out of the box.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
HiFiJonHiFiJon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • mickeal_alexmickeal_alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently discovered this script http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/compact-renamer
    I think there need to be some cleanup with this and remove the current rename, prefix, search and replace and create a single complete window that adresses everything like prefix, suffix, ability to apply a number ( # ) where you want and so on, not many broken parts in different areas of the program.

• gerardvokgerardvok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not worth spending autodesk time on considering all the other issues. cometRenamer is one of the best out there. a few python xyz.replace() lines and you can rename anything how you like it.

• BrianHoardBrianHoard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lostparanoia - You can do as you are asking. Try this to remove a string in your object names:
    1. Select your objects to rename.
    2. Open Modify > Search and Replace Names...
    3. In the dialog box, in the Search for: field, type pasted__ (or whatever string you want to remove).
    4. In the Replace with: field, type a single period, "." (without the quotes).
    5. Press the Replace button and your object names should be fixed.

• lostparanoialostparanoia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we at least be allowed to remove strings entirely with the "search and replace names" tool?
    If I don't type anything in the "replace with" field, that means I want to replace it with nothing at all.

So, for example, if we paste 100 objects into the scene, you force "pasted__" in front of the names. So then we're either stuck with that naming, or we can replace it with something else that we don't want. It's impossible to just get rid of it entirely, unless we write our own script to fix it... or manually change it for all 100 objects.

Feedback and Knowledge Base