What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Student version popups!

Please limit the student version popups to one time per session.
It pops up every time I save, save-as, autosave, or even copy to clipboard (because it is actually saving the selection into the temporary file storage)
Having to click continue every time I want to copy-paste a selection is easily one of the most annoying things that I've dealt with in a piece of software.
Thank you in advance.

113 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
raimen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rl151339 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It sucks because I need to use the program as a student in a school in which there are deadlines...

• eriksan007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is so shitty. It pops up for every referenced scene too, so that can come up hundreds/dozens of popups just to save a scene using references from other scenes!

• Shrinks99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This popup makes it impossible to efficiently work with referenced files. Every time I save my main scene I need to click through 20 popups!

• Matze.Ahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Iam fully aware that it's not in top 20 of priorities to make the life of us freeloaders easier, but having a Ok / Cancel box pop up whenever onse saves (auto saves) or past copies is insane. Breaking every step of the workflow slowing one down massively. We know we are cheap peasents who didn't buy your thousands of dollar app (yet) but everyone is working hard to get to a level to be productive with your software.Why make it this innecessary hard to want to work with maya (since 3ds max doesn't do this). There must be a smarter way than giving you a nonsense binary choice just to force the user to realise that they are not using the real deal. How about a floaty text message every hour os, that is ontop of the 3d View and fades out by itself, doesn't destroy the workflow, doesn't kill saves and is still present enough to be noticed (since we seem to need a constant reminder of that).
    I applaud Autodesk for offering student software but this is garbage.

• MasterBetty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Punishing students and potential future Maya license buyers with this type of annoying popups is exactly the sort of thing that pushes people to instead use pirated versions.

• Mike_Rochefort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand this is an age old issue, but please. There needs to be a better way of handling this, the only way I can describe it is absurd. Some suggestions:

- Initiate a popup on the first save of a file (when it's actually created).
    - Never give a popup again when the file is used with a Student Licensed copy of Maya
    - If the file is ever read into a commercial copy, give a popup.

I wouldn't have any issues with the above. But as stated widely across the forums, and here, this system causes so many unnecessary headaches with referencing workflows and the autosave combo. Please take a look into this!

• billcousert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if it might be possible to create a program that would sit in the background and wait for these popups, and press enter for you. It could happen so fast that you might never know it was ever there.

• Quodpipax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like them actually. If I had a subscription version, I would want that option to confirm my saves.
    It saved me a lot, when I accidentally hit "save" and I didn't want it, or in the last second I changed my mind, so I can save it as I new scene.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It still crashes (up to date version) at least twice per hour (entering sculpting tool, tearing of a copy of the Panel, opening Hypershade, etc.). And because of referenced Scenes the student popup asks me 10 times for every save.

The most annoying thing ever built into a piece of software.

Could you finally target this problem or at least stop ignoring it?

• Italic_ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree with this. I use a student version myself, and whenever it pops up the window, it breaks whatever tool I'm in. Supposedly they fixed it in 2016 with this: http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160518-small-annoying-things-to-fix-in-maya-forum/suggestions/3274355-autosave-disconnects-the-move-tool-during-the-move but I haven't had autosave on for a number of years. I hate having to restart the program because not only does autosave interrupt, but the window instantly takes the key you're holding down.

Not only that, but if you don't intend to save and press cancel, it DELETES YOUR FILE! Then you have to quickly save as in order to keep maya from losing it. If the user presses cancel, just don't save the file! It's like a save confirmation dialogue.

Not only does it pop up for the file you're saving, it also pops up for every single file referenced that includes the student flag. I've seen my classmates pressing continue for five minutes straight because of the number of reference files.

I say give us a notice once per session or once every two hours. We're not idiots, guys, just giving money to your education partners.

If I'd have counted every single student popup since I started using maya, I'd probably be at over 10'000 by now!! And I'm only using it about 8 months now.

And it was first requested in 2012!!!

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160518-small-annoying-things-to-fix-in-maya-forum/suggestions/3271913-student-version-popup

Yet no comment by Autodedk even after reaching top 20 in small & annoying things..

Really disappointed up to the point of looking at Software by other companies (yes it is that much frustrating and somehow even insulting, telling us students we are too stupid to remember it is a student Version (over the time of 5min).

Im sure its something that can be done within one hour for a programmer, probably even less. You could provide this small fix here and include it in the next SP or whatever and everyone is happy.

Really don't get the problem why it takes almost 3 years for at least a comment that you look into it or you won't do it or whatever

Realy bad advert for your company. Providing Students Version for free is amazing, but then like I wrote before... It really turns around into a "actually we don't care about you stupid folks until you build up a company that will buy Software from us for at least 100k $".

• SubmarineMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no need for me to add additional comments other than to cast my vote in favor of either completely removing the popup or just one time at the initial save.

• dances_with_cows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it is not a good working expirience. if you have one or even several referenced files in you scene you have to click once for every scene. It is very off putting. Not to mention that complex calculations can cause maya to crash when the auto save student pop up comes up during that calculation. Please don't treat us like people who are doing illegal work with your product, please treat us as the life long futur clients that we will become.

• ttaywz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Michael after switching to 2015 and installing all the updates and patches Maya still crashes and now that I turn on autosave to prevent any loss in files its hard for me to work when every 7 minutes I got a window interrupt me, just let autosave do its thing in the background, trust me I know its a student version and so does anyone else that opens the file.

Maya 2015 Crashes really often.. Solution -> autosave.. oh wait.. click continue every 5min.. Even better: The Popup kills the preview in the multicut tool (and in other tools it's probably the same). So either waste time in redoing the things after a crash or redoing it because of the popup..

Quite annoying. And it's not like we forget after 5min that it is a students version.. Same with copy and paste.. We know it is a students version.. It is even named "Students Version" in the titlebar.. That's easily more annoying than every bug in Maya 2015 (and there are a lot of bugs in the 2015 Version).

Please reduce it to one popup per session.

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base