What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Give us back the use of the CMND-key to navigate on Maya OSX.

In versions prior to 2015, Mac users could use the Command key (CMND) with any of the 3 mouse buttons to navigate (tumble, track and dolly) within a viewport. With the release of Maya 2015 you took that option away from us without so much as providing a preference setting for it.
In the place that can be considered to be the most prime location for a hotkey on a Mac keyboard, we now essentially have a key that is a dud. In fact, it's worse than that, as pressing CMND still allows for 'tumbles' and 'tracks', but no longer for 'dollies'. So two thirds of the time you're pressing the CMND key to navigate and you think you're golden, but then you want to dolly and you realise that you're pressing the "wrong" key again and instead you get thrown into an unwanted Marking Menu, or worse, into one of the component modes should you do this whilst hovering over a mesh. Not only is this is extremely frustrating and a huge stumbling block in terms of fast workflow, the inconsistent behaviour we have now hardly helps us unlearn our tried and trusted finger memory from years of using the CMND key to navigate.

Please revert it back or give us a preference option.

157 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
DutchDimension shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • kyleyoungblom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bumping this as I'd really love to use my Macbook for Maya work, but this problem keeps me from making the switch. This is a really confusing decision from Autodesk; the command key is one of the most important keys on the MacOS keyboard, and currently does the same thing as the alt key. Modifiying key bindings system-wide is not a solution, even with a profiling app like Karabiner. It's not reasonable to expect users to manually switch key bindings every time they want to switch applications.

• agrisdale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this is so annoying. Why can't there be a preference for this? You know what makes it worse, is that you're kind of forced to tuck your thumb in more than is natural and so it increases risk of RSI. Please change this back. I dont want RSI just because autodesk wants to keep the keys consistent across mac, linux and pc. I basically stopped using maya at home because of this issue.

• EZSmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the option to revert this back to how it was in 2014. This is a serious speed bump to workflow, not only for the issues cited in the original post but later versions of OSX hide the previous window when you use Alt+left click in another window. This makes multi-tasking between Maya and another program an annoyance where there was no issue before.

• keez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change it back. I don't want to expedite the onset of carpal tunnel.

• gavlew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a terrible decision from Autodesk. I'm sticking with my previous version of Maya because of this - the hand position is just too uncomfortable. Remapping the keys does not sound like a good idea as it would mess up any of the keyboard shortcuts that already use the cmd key i.e. copy paste etc

• jordanjs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just stumbled upon this "glitch" myself. Very annoying, indeed! We should have the option to go back to the old ctrl/cmd behavior in the Preferences menu.

• frenchie1980 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Autodesk, this is a serious usability issue. Why is it in not under review when it is the 4th most "popular" bug report, and you are now on SP5

The biggest issue is in fact the inconsistency of when the cmd key is used to perform ctrl fundtions. This makes impossible to remedy, even with third party key remapping utilies such as Karabiner.

• sketchaholic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Autodesk, help save all of our left thumbs from falling off. Give us the option to use the cmd key.

• TheCGCy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's still no solution? Did any one in Autodesk are aware that mac's modifier key are located differently than PCs? It's like forcing PC user to use windows key for navigation, and also right click awkwardly change to Cmd key. The changes between Ctrl and Cmd are way too huge to just be minor tweak.

Previous navigation keys are very natural switching between platforms. I cant believe Autodesk choose to unify user manual to a single version over software usability. You can't just change the key's because it's popular, It has to be make sense between platforms.

• yann22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And Ctrl + RMB does not bring up marking menus on a mac. Need to use the command key instead. What a mess.

• VCCGeek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE do this. I find myself, for the first time since Maya 3 (yes, Maya THREE), having to THINK about how to control the camera. I switch back and forth between Mac and PC all the time and having to stop and think every time I want to change the camera view . . . well, it sucks. Doubly bad that sometimes I have to use a PC keyboard with a Mac. As yann22 commented, it should have been based on key location. We're not thinking "the Option key equals the Alt key", we're thinking somethink like "that key straight down from the Rotate key" (or next to the space bar - I always think in terms of the transform hotkeys, though).

• yann22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be consistent on all platforms the choice should be made on key position. Switching from pc to mac I can no longer intuitively control the camera. This is not a small annoying thing, my shortcuts and custom marking menus are all based on the camera control key being the left one next to the space bar.

• pixelscrubber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution I use is to remap "tumble" to the "option/alt" key on both systems, and use the "control+option/alt" on both systems to dolly, and the space bar on both systems to track (like Adobe products.) It's a pain to remap everything I know, but once it is done, everything is much more logical. Perhaps Autodesk should change the defaults to match this.

• kale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switching the Alt with the CMD key is ridiculous for something you use day-in day-out! Using the keys on the keyboard is about the position of the keys not the written function on it.

Give us at least an option to choose!

• dflipb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EVERYONE I have found a solution!!!!!!!

Go here https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/ Get this Free key remapping program (Donate if it works for you!)

Follow the instructions for install

Find Karabiner in your apps folder and open it.

Then find the "Change Key" tab and make sure you have that selected

Scroll down and select "Change command_L key"

scroll down and check the box "Command_L to Option_L"

That will fix your problem.

********Now you need a way to get back to the default OS X

Find the "Menu Bar" tab and click on that.

You will see a "Default" KEEP THAT. Hit the Plus sign at the bottom

Rename the New Preference Cmd2Alt (or what ever floats your boat)

And close this window out.

At the Top of your monitor you will see a black square outline. Click on that and you should be able to see your new preference for remapping the keyboard. When you are in Maya click on it to change, and when you are done, just switch back to default!

Karabiner FTW! Autodesk, not so much.

Happy Creating.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base