What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Don't prompt to save an empty scene

If I open Maya and then go to file:open, Maya prompts me to save the empty scene it created when it opened.
It also autosaves blank scenes if I leave it open for a while.

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
JenLMae shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mat Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've come to this thread to post exactly this request. I see that Autodesk listed this request "Under Review" in 2013.

That's 4 years and counting... Even though the user is inconvenienced for 2 seconds each time, if you used Maya each day and encountered this very small, yet annoying problem 5 times a day, you would have now wasted over half an hour simply telling Maya you don't want to save a completely empty scene just in the time it's taken Autodesk to review this problem.

• Ziethriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my experience this happens if you move the camera in the empty scene. The thing that has changed is the camera attributes. I think that moving the camera and doing nothing else should only matter if the camera has keys or something.

Frequently I go from file to file, looking for one where I haven't committed a change or something and every time I go to the file, move the camera to check the piece, then go to open another, it asks to save.

So annoying......

• JenLMae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I may note have noticed before but it's really annoying now: If Maya is closed and I double click on a mb file to open in Maya, Maya then gives me the same prompt before I can even load the one I clicked on. To add to this, the prompt appears in the background, so I'll be waiting ages for my file to open only to realize it's been waiting for me to click the "Don't Save" button before it can load.

Feedback and Knowledge Base