What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Make a preset the default setting for any given node type

How many times have you typed '.454' three times in a row? Or clicked the preset dropdown and selected the desired preset, even though you wish to use the same exact preset every time you create a new node? What if you want your default ramp node to be "Black to White" instead of "Blue Green Red"? Or assign the same initial preset to every material or ncloth node you create?

Presets are great, but setting a default preset for each node would give the user more control and save several precious clicks for every node created. Naturally there should also be the option to Reset Preset Default in case the user wants to revert to the system default.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
everythinghasfresneleverythinghasfresnel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rvdbragtrvdbragt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea, but would like to add the request to have the ability to "reset" a node to it's factory defaults too. So, if I set it to blue, and later decide, that was a bad idea, I can just reset to factory defaults.

To further push this, it would be GREAT, if you could set certain attibutes in the AE and channelbox to a certain preset/dafault too. Houdini allows you to reset values for example, which is great when you are experimenting with nodes. You could just highlight certain channels (channelbox) and reset to default values/factory default values.

• ChAoS_OChAoS_O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be great if you could just flag a preset as default in the "edit presets" window

• NarannNarann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing idea!

If I can have a suggestion, default values should be defined "by user". :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base