What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Reset "hidden" windows after monitor configuration change

Sometimes Maya windows can no longer be seen because they were saved in a position that no longer exists (because a monitor is off, or not attached). It would be helpful if Maya could automatically detect this and reset position/sizes of windows that were off-screen. Or if there were a menu option to bring all windows to the main screen.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
juggernatejuggernate shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • bunbunexplosionsbunbunexplosions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open Maya.
    File>Any Window You Are Trying To Open
    Press ALT+Space
    Click Close Under The Restore Tab That Pops Up
    File>Any Window You Need

This is what works for my friends and I. It resets all the windows to appear on the main monitor. It's the fastest and easiest way I know.

• MilaVasMilaVas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

close Maya, go to C:\Users\Documents\maya\2016\prefs find windowPrefs.mel delete or rename it as windowPrefs.mel.bak. Should work, Maya will generate new file for you with new display/displays information.

• GunnerGurlGunnerGurl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I brought my work computer home for the weekend, and at work I use a 2nd monitor mounted above a cintiq. But at home I just have two monitors side by side. When I used it at home, many menus (such as the hypershade) were hidden off screen. I tried several of the tricks listed here, but none of them worked. Since I knew that these hidden menus were usually kept on the upper screen, I simply reoriented my monitors in the Display Settings as if they were my work set up: one on top of the other. Bam. The menus appeared. I moved the 'hidden' menus to my main monitor and reoriented the screens to side by side again. Problem solved!

• nickzuccnickzucc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please fix this! I used to use the windows trick but as of 2016 it doesn't seem to work anymore. Thanks to Sorb for the script...it worked like a charm!

• DavidBrandtDavidBrandt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised that this has been a problem since 2011, and hasn't been fixed yet. I guess because it has a viable work around?

utwoxxl's solution is what worked for me. alt+spacebar, and then close. Then when I open the window again it is within reach.

• GothicaGothica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make sure you have the windows focused (by re-opening and not clicking anywhere, if you can't focus the windows. Close it by using Sorb [Stefan] script a few comments below)
    Press the following combination in order

Alt+Space
    M-key
    Any arrow key

It will snap to your mouse while you can drag it around with ease. Just click for release.

• stephenwebb1980@gmail.comstephenwebb1980@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a dual monitor setup and have the "secondary" monitor in front of me and the primary to the left -- though I use maya's main window in the secondary monitor mostly. I noticed the other day after not having used maya for several months that when I went to save, saveas, export selected, or export all that the window wouldn't show up...only the window had, but was off to the right edge of the secondary monitor and could not be clicked, moved, or resized etc. I tried ALT + SPACE to open the dialog windows move / resize / close menu items but still couldn't use move to properly move the window into place.

Instead, I simply grabbed Maya's main window by the Top Title Bar after I closed the off screen dialog window (using the CLOSE menu item command from the ALT + SPACE shortcut combo) and dragged it off to the left so the maya main application window was no longer docked and maximized. I tried the save, saveas, export etc again and it once more appeared in the center area of the screen! Magic. Now I put the main window back into place, docked and maximized and we're all set. Simple fix.

• Sorb [Stefan]Sorb [Stefan] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok here is a script that closes the open windows and resets their position and sizes. Except for the Maya Window and Script Editor this time.

string $openWindows[] = `lsUI -windows`;

for ($i=0; $i < size ($openWindows);$i++)
    {
    if ($openWindows[$i] != "MayaWindow" && $openWindows[$i] != "scriptEditorPanel1Window")
    {
    deleteUI $openWindows[$i];
    windowPref -remove $openWindows[$i];
    }

}

• rvdbragtrvdbragt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is still not addressed. And as a freelancer, I must say this issue is too me more important than anything else, as it actually stops me working every time. I use at times 2 monitors, at times 2 monitors (but the left being the right one) and sometimes just 1 monitor. Maya is driving me absolutely crazy with these windows appearing off screen!!!

Please fix this in Maya 2016 (or sooner).

Thanks,
    Rob

• redace554redace554 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto on this idea!
    Just a hint for a workaround for now. If you want to move a window that is on a monitor that can no longer be seen.
    1) Open the window (i.e. window - > UV Texture editor)
    2) Notice you can not see the window (DO NOT CLICK anywhere else, otherwise you will lose the focus of the window)
    3) Hold the windows key on your keyboard and use the left right up and down arrows on your keyboard a few times and the window will pop back into a screen where you can move it.

• tom_seddontom_seddon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows has builtin functionality for this. Use the GetWindowPlacement and SetWindowPlacement Win32 APIs, and windows will never be restored somewhere invisible. Also handles maximized windows correctly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base