Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My studio is going back to maya 2016 - massive viewport and QT problems impeding work

Too many problems to describe. We have a room full of advanced Maya users each with 10-20 years of maya experience, and we are fed up with maya 2017. Its a product with great new features but its so broken on the interface and display / prefs side that it makes daily work really unenjoyable and inefficient.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    18 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I’m setting this entry to “Under Review” for a number of reasons:
    - The subject line and vote count of this entry warrants direct and immediate attention – and I assure you, you’ve got it
    - We’ve put a lot of resources on bug fixing lately and hopefully you’ll notice the improvements in upcoming major and minor (“Update”) releases
    - A number of items brought up here are right now being worked on (e.g. Mr. Noo’s complaint about components moving locally at different speeds for objects with different scales and Gerard’s complaint that you can’t snap to a local rotation axis)
    - We’re listening…

On that last point, we are looking everywhere for feedback on Maya’s latest releases and how we can improve its stability and robustness. Mr. Noo, you’re absolutely right – loads of features alone isn’t what encourages users to move to…

2. 48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on this idea. It’s under review. (This does not mean that we are committing to this idea. Please read the FAQ for more detail.)

3. Keep code in the lower half of the Script Editor when it's executed, instead of flushing it

Unless I highlight code in the lower half of the Script Editor, it gets flushed away when I execute it.

As I develop a script it's common to execute the script several times to review modifications, but having to highlight everything just to prevent it from flushing is a pain.

Highlighting some parts of the script is a great way to achieve "selective" execution, so don't change this.

But if nothing is highlighted, execute everything and leave the code where it is.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Select lines of code and excute them (by ctrl+main enter or num enter)

Seletd lines are excuted and all lines remain in the lower half side.

As one user mentioned, the solution is not enough. Reopen it for further discussion.
    How about adding an option or shortcut for this?

4. Incorrect Icons.

NOTE: Re-Submitted due to changes and Maya 2018 update.

- In the Shift+RMB (on empty space) menu, the following primitive icons are incorrect:
    > The Pyramid icon: It may look correct, but it actually has the Cone's icon instead of it own. The proper one can be seen in Create > Polygon Primitives > Pyramid.
    > The Prism icon: It has the Cylinder's icon instead.
    > The Pipe icon: It, too, has the Cylinder's icon.

- In the Create Menu: the Construction Plane, Free Image Plane and Locator menu items have incorrect or missing icons. The proper ones can be…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reset "hidden" windows after monitor configuration change

Sometimes Maya windows can no longer be seen because they were saved in a position that no longer exists (because a monitor is off, or not attached). It would be helpful if Maya could automatically detect this and reset position/sizes of windows that were off-screen. Or if there were a menu option to bring all windows to the main screen.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. RMB marking menu freezes Maya 2017

Trying to switch to components via RMB marking menu freezes Maya randomly or once in a while . This never happened before in the other versions of Maya. I have updated to latest Nvidia driver and still the same problem. This is a major blocking . Please address this very annoying Viewport 2/ RMB marking menu bug.Thanks.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE 1***
    Thanks to help from one of the voters, DavidDeacon, the culprit has been identified: Navigate Graph in Bonus Tools 2017. This is a bonus tool that activates itself by default on installing the set of bonus tools, and by removing it, this particular memory leak issue disappears. So the good news is that you can still use Bonus Tools 2017 – you should just disable “Navigate Graph” (buildTraversalMM) watch this video to find out how to do so: .https://youtu.be/z71NeX03lOY?t=294

We’re continuing to investigate this on our end, but I thought I’d share David’s discovery with the rest of you.

ORIGINAL REPLY***
    Thanks for bringing this up and for those who voted it up.

We’re seeing reports of this, but we still haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on our end. And so without being able to reproduce the issue, we can’t identify what’s wrong and more…

7. Return the plane cut tool

The plane cut tool was very handy on cutting polys from the ortho views.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Modeling Toolkit Custom Shelf Size Resets on Maya Restart

I have a custom shelf full of tools in the modeling toolkit panel, but when I reload Maya, this shelf is fully minimized (no tools visible). I must grab the shelf's top black line and drag it up to show the shortcuts. I would rather this was always opened to the last size it was set to instead of requiring me to resize it every time I load Maya.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Undoing geometery changes often loses past UV edits.

In Maya 2017 and 2016 Ext 2 once have laid out UVs, future geometery edits such as adding edge loops or cutting faces followed by an Undo will blow away or mess up your UVs.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The mauve icon for the locator should be the same green color that it is in the viewport

The mauve icon for the locator should be the same green color that it is in the viewport. It is confusing otherwise.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make MMB clickable area in combo box attributes broader.

Please make MMB clickable areas in combo box attributes broader, so it's easier for the user to use their toggle function (a great feature by the way!).

This would apply to all combo box style attributes in any editor.

See the attached image further explainig the proposal.

Thanks for listening!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Display attributes that are not at their default value in a different color in the attribute editor and channel box.

Add an preference to display attributes that are not at their default value in a different color in the attribute editor and channel box, similar to how keyed, connected, locked. etc attributes have a different color background. This would allow you to tell at a glance what values have been modified on a node.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. channelBox colors should fill field

pre 2016.5 the "colors" of the channel box were 100% filled.
    please bring that back, the new style is confusing , and certain channels like vis and enums are 100% filled as "unkeyable" but actually aren't unkeyable. also often artist use enum as channel box spacers.. this is no longer a valid workflow, as locked channels are not displayed across the field

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Stop re-grouping my geometries every time i extract/separate and re-combine them

As a still relatively new user of Maya (though i've been in school for it over a year now), I find it increasingly difficult that every time i extract and recombine objects it creates a new group node. So if i have to split a model's head to create blend shapes, then recombine it with the body, i open my hypergraph to see my object under two (or three.... or four... or ten) group nodes. I don't know why this would seem desirable to anyone as this will only cause objects to be affected by double transformations upon scaling or…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2017 - the modern Graph Editor.

(I've not posted this at the Ideas forum, as these are all small tweaks as opposed to new ideas)

The modern Graph Editor looks really nice and has a lot of potential, but there are some things that made me switch back to the classic Graph immediately. Of course I can just go back to the classic graph anyway, but there will be a release of Maya where you ditch the classic graph option, hence this post.

1: The key shapes. The tiny dots of the classic were perfect for selecting and having visual precision, where the new ones overlap…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Tim!

Thanks so much for submitting this, this is all incredibly useful feedback. We are working hard to ensure that we fine-tune the modern graph editor so that everything feels just right! So these suggestions will definitely help us towards that.

Thanks again and will keep you posted about any updates!

Best regards,

Stefania Medryk

16. Rotate from any pivot temporarily without changing the pivot or grouping. (This would be really handy for animationg objects)

Rotate from any pivot temporarily without changing the pivot or grouping. (This would be really handy for animationg objects)

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Why is there a limit on the zoom-in within the Graph Editor?

In Maya 2017 a limit has been set on the amount you can zoom in within the Graph Editor. The limit is roughly set on about 1 frame, so the width of the area you're looking at is a minimal of 1 frame wide.

I don't understand why this has been added in the first place, but I find it incredibly annoying, as keys can sometimes be displaced by other keys, and so are not on, say, frame 1038, but frame 1038.004.. This means that currently one can't zoom in to see what's going on and remove the keys we…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Auto Name File Nodes

Why do I have to rename a file node after setting the fileTexurePath. It should automatically take the basename of the file path. Also anywhere where I'm making a new file node via the UI. It should prompt for a file path 1st. Currently it's a 2 step process.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As Amorano said, this could potentially break some systems.

So why do you need this?
    How about show node name as well as texture name for file node?
    So you can identify texture nodes in Hypershade or Node Editor.

19. Enable Wireframe On Shaded alpha outside of Sculpt Tool

Having a subtle wireframe turned on while animating, particularly the face, is incredibly helpful for seeing the masses deform properly. Pixar's Presto software displays wireframe this way (see attached screenshot).

Is it possible to have the Extension 2 Sculpt Tool's "Wireframe Display Alpha" as a default option in the viewport? Maya's default wireframe is much to thick and obtrusive for areas like the eyes and mouth.

Thanks
    Chris

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't prompt to save an empty scene

If I open Maya and then go to file:open, Maya prompts me to save the empty scene it created when it opened.
    It also autosaves blank scenes if I leave it open for a while.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base