Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. File browser inside Maya, Thumbnail generation

When you choose an image-file, e.g. for a file-node to use it for lighting, or for an imageplane.
    You click the file and depending on size it takes a while for the preview in the file-browser to show up.
    If you don't need this preview and you know it is _this_ file you want, and immediately click/doubleclick on this file, to choose it, this doubleclick won't "pass" (and do what it should) unless it already has a thumbnail.

So my point is: doubleclick on a file should, with or without a thumbnail, choose this file, not activate the thumbnail-generation-process, like…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Keep corners when converting Polygon to Subdiv options

Converting polygon models to Nurbs is a royal pain because there is no option to keep hard corners when going to Subdiv as a necessary step to Nurbs. The only way to work around is to manually insert edges close to those areas that will otherwise be rounded / interpolated by the process and to the nature of things it will never be perfect as well. Please add the option box for this its very annoying to have to do this manually
    For example a rectangular poly plane (with no divisions) converted to Subdiv will be a circle. A few…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I would like the reference editor have an option to ignore duplicate nested references

It's common in my work to use a couple of base reference files throughout a project, so it is VERY common to accidentally create nested duplicate references of these base files when creating references.

Simply ignoring nested duplicate references should be the default behavior I think i.e. when you import/create a newly referenced file, and it already contains within it references that already exist in the file you are currently working in they should be disregarded.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Export - Unity 5

I hate to set my every new scene in meters - why it can't just remember that simple thing?!

I have to work in meters, and only workable solution with FBX, is to set "file units converted to: Centimeters", it's only way to see yout fbx and mesh in same size and the size you need.
    So I have to change everytime to meters, work with meters, export in centimeters. It's pretty lame, I tell you.

If I want to export OBJ, I have to scale everything down to 0.01...
    Lame, again.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. SVG import and paste on Maya Ext2 SP1 is not working anymore. (from Illustrator)

SVG import and paste on Maya Ext2 SP1 is not working anymore. (from Illustrator)
    That implementation was grate, but is not working. It returns unexpected number of points. :(

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Import only selected objects from another scene

When I import a scene there are some options, but what I'd really like is an outliner to pick and choose what items I want to import from the given scene. 3dsMax does this really well and even offers to parent the selected object the same as an option.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Duplicate Reference (with all changes done to original reference)

When you create reference, move/rotate/scale it (or whatever you do to it) and then duplicate it , its more like you just did another "create reference" its all reseted and not actually duplicated (this applies to any reference edit you make).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. export selected

export selected should export selected, not the whole scene. This has never worked for as long as I can remember using Maya (v4). I think it is about time someone made this work, it doesn't seem like a particularly difficult thing to achieve. (in particular obj and fbx)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Ability to save reference edits directly in its own reference file as I am editing a file

Currently when I have a reference in maya, I can make edits to it, but the refEdits are saved in the master scene.
    I can then save the edits to a file for a later import, but it doesn't always work, and I don't have a clean scene ready when I am done working.

Here is a scenario : It would be great to be able to have a reference loaded, like a rig. And start to sculpt blendShapes and author facial rigging, for instance, and have those shapes and edits go directly into their own reference scene, as I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. moving refEdits to referenced scene

It would be great to be able to move refEdits to a reference scene that is loaded. Then maya would offer to save the reference scene as a different file, and have the reference point to it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Alembic exporter doesn't properly "Write Face Sets"

If I create a cube primitive and assign a phong shader, the shader engine of the Phong will be named phong1SG, ans should contain the shader assignments of the cube primitve.

If I export this as an alembic with the Write Face Sets ON and import it in a new scene the cube comes in with only the initialShadingGroup assigned to the cube, which is not the correct behaviour.

If I go back to the scene where I created the cube primitive and make new primitive f.ex a sphere. I select all the faces of the sphere primitive and assign…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow referencing of alembic GPU caches

Direct referencing of Alembic files is a really useful new feature but it would be really good to allow referencing of GPU Alembic caches because this would allow more flexible swapping of full caches to GPU caches.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Save maya file 2016 to lower version

please refer to pic ! We upgraded to 2016 but we still have some clients prefer the source file return in Maya 2014.

Autodesk should consider this when pushing customer to upgrade or purchase latest version.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback.
    In Maya 2014 preference/Files/Projects, you could toggle on Ingore Version. You can use Maya2014 load Maya 2016 scene files. The unsupported nodes will be ignored.

Does it solve your problem?

16. Can not export *.vrml format in Maya 2016 mac

I cannot find vrml-export plug-in in maya 2016 mac. But in official document it does support this format export both in windows and mac. So I wander to know how I can find this document.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Don't sprinkle "FBXASC032" everywhere in imports

Maya's FBX importer replaces characters that aren't allowed in node names with "FBXASC###". On every FBX import I've ever done, this happens to every single node, since most other programs use spaces in node names. This makes everyone have to do a bunch of search/replace after every import. This even happens when using "Send to..." directly between AutoDesk products.

Add a special case for common characters: turn spaces into underscores, and just remove # which is common in materials ("Map #1"). This creating naming conflicts seems uncommon (if your file has both "Bone_Arm" and "Bone Arm", you're asking for trouble),…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Remove the need to load references to remove them

It's currently necessary to LOAD a reference in order to REMOVE it. When dealing with multiple heavy references, this can add up to a huge amount of totally wasted time.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Pointcloud-Loader-Plugin

David Dustin posted this on laserscanningforum.com: "We have released version 1.2 of our Clouds2Max plugin.
    Some of the best features include slightly blurring the rgb values of the pointcloud to yield a very nice look to the scans and also draping..
    Draping is a process where the vertices of a mesh are projected down onto a point cloud which allows the use of quads and creates excellent surfaces for simulations etc.

We can also capture the RGB values from the pointcloud and create a nice texture for the surface."

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOMETHING SIMILAR IN MAYA!!!
    hope this will…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Import Layers from Autocad, illustrator, FBX etc

On Maya 2012 when you import an ACAD file, all the layers are imported as well. since 2013 the layers are imported, but all the objects are NOT linked to them.

Layers should be considered for .AI, .FBX, and any other format that supports layers. Right now they aren't

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base