Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3d paint tool

Currently the 3d paint tool is very laggy and can't handle very big textures. its save and update are very slow
    it needs some love and attention to become more efficient badly.
    also having a paint normal map would be good to have in there.
    it is a very powerful part of the old maya features set, fast and easy to use for beginners in 3d ( esp the extend seam colour to counter mip mapping in game engines)
    I find this tool for texturing to be fantastic for mobile game characters and wip up simple scenes and tileable textures…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Assign Existing Material could have a Small Thumbnail image

RMB-Click on Object

Assign Existing Material

Assign Existing Material could have a Small Thumbnail image next to it to identify it by colour instead of just by name. Thanks

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PTex bumpmap textures consistently produce seam on import to Maya 2014, 2015

PTex bumpmap textures consistently produce seam on import to Maya 2014, 2015 from Mudbox. I can reproduce the problem freely. I usually work around by adding bump textures in Maya, separately.

I haven't found too much in terms of similar issues so this may be an issue specific to this hardware.

I'm using Viewport 2.0:
    Version : 5.3.1.800. Feature Level 5.
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    Vendor ID: 4318. Device ID : 4689
    Driver : nvwgf2umx.dll:9.18.13.3165.
    API : DirectX V.11. Max texture size : 16384 * 16384.
    Max tex coords : 32
    Shader versions supported (Vertex: 5, Geometry: 5,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. allow dx11/cg shaders to be pluged into shader group so viewport see's a nice shader and mentalray/vray renders a corresponding material

it would be nice for previs/ animation to see a beautiful dx11/cg shader while working to get a better feel.
    when its handed of to rendering, they can work straight away rendering, knowing that correct render materials are assigned to the objects.

maybe there could be an option in the shadergroup to plug a different material into a viewport slot, or viceversa, a vray/mentalray material into a dx11 shader slot.
    currently previz and animators work with just black objects or force default shaders onto everything. this is very bad, particularly when animating/previzing glossy/reflective surfaces in the automotive industry

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Improve Unfold3d for hard surface objects

Unfold 3d is good at doing character uv's however when using it on hard surface objects it smooths too much the uvs especially when trying to keep straigt lines in the uv object, the old legacy unfold does a better job but sometimes this crumples the uv's too much, it would be nice to have 2 modes for the new Unfold 3d algoritm, one for characters and one for hard surface or the ability to control the smoothing( relaxing).

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. visually indicate the status of "Show Color Managed Pots" next to color swatches

Just watched the ColorManagement feature video of Maya 2015 Ext1 and without having laid hands on it i can already see something that could be improved: As soon as the "Show Color Managed Pots" is active, there is no way to instantly identify whether the swatches are being color managed or not, without checking the AE menu. Since this can be very irritating for users, could you please hightlight all the RGB color swatches by for example colorizing their label while the option is activated?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow polyface extraction of faces selected from the shader where there is per-face assignment.

Not only is it a pain that per-face shading assignment causes so many problems in Maya (broken render layers in particular), Maya doesn't offer any easy means of changing the per-face assignment to per-object. In particular, it's often necessary to extract faces from a mesh so that a per-object assignment can be made. One would have thought that using "Select objects with material" from the Hypershade would select all faces with a particular shader assigned, and then simply using "Extract" would perform the separation. However, for some reason although faces appear to be selected when using this workflow, Extraction does…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. (hypershade) opening hypershade the material tabs are stretched. Covering materials workspace windows

Hypershade should stay in last configuration.
    so I don't have to reset it every time I open it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ShaderFX: float2 can't be exposed as material input

float and float3 works just fine. float2 is excluded for some buggy reason. It's pretty odd to find this bug because the AE template for the cgfx shader has this option already implemented.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Change default value of the Nudge UVs tool to 1.0

The default value of the new Nudge UVs Tool is currently set to 0.1
    However i can't think of any situation where i need to move UV shells by an absolute value, except when I'm moving them entirely to another tile, which is why i have to change the value to 1 everytime!
    For minor nudging the regular translate tool and the new tweak UVs tool are way more useful and sufficient, so i recommend setting the default value to 1.0

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Instances are slow in becuase of Material Connections

Instances are an important factor in many workflows. However there seem to be two bottlenecks all deriving from the same issue in Maya regarding instances. One is the Attribute Editor. If you select a transform that has an instanced shape node (that is instanced 1000+ times) Maya stalls for a good 30 seconds if the AE is open. The second issue is if you delete all by history, Maya can stall for 15+ minutes if there is like 15k instances. This is all because each instance can have a different shader assigned to it's instObjGroup array. The delete all by…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please implement the free-form transform manipulator from max in the uv editor.

There is a tool in max in the uv editor that is a 4 point lattice on your selected uv's pretty much the same thing as in photoshop when you hit ctrl t and then you can constrain scale your selection using a specific edge as the anchor. It is called free-form transform manipulator, please implement this in Maya as a new tool or as part of the lattice tool.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pivot point of transform component tool in uv editor will not snap to uv's.

When using the transform component tool on uv's in the uv editor you cannot snap it's gizmo to a specific uv. This makes it impossible for example to scale your uv's a precise value of +2 along a specific axis.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Spline interpolation in ramp node

The interpolation modes for color inputs in the ramp node are great but I think it would be awesome to have one more, a spline mode.

You can find an example of that interpolation mode when making gradients in any fluid node, there you have linear, smooth and spline modes. The spline is not perfect but it works almost as spected.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Duplicating a material (with texture maps) results in black swatch.

On OSX here (10.6.8), there's a persistent issue where if I duplicate a material (that uses texture maps), the resulting swatch (and material in the viewport) is solid black. I have to break the connection between the image node and the material and then manually reconnect to get the material and swatch to display properly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. UV Sets needs to be fixed - deletes and does not update UV sets properly.

Working with multiple UV sets in Maya is really buggy and has been so in the last version...

1. First of all, the UV sets are not properly updated. When creating new UV sets with the same name, it does not delete the previous entry, and a duplicate UV-set shows up in the "Relationship Editor".
    I've been trying to delete history, change UV-sets, close and open windows hoping it to update properly without luck (see attached image)

2. When renaming a UV-set it suddenly deletes it instead.
    Very annoying! (I've usually made a habit of saving every time I change…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Swatch for procederal textures - have a button to switch to "display alpha sample "

Have a button in Attribute Editor to switch swatch from displaying out.colour to displaying out.alpha.
    Rather than hooking up a temporary connection to ambient or incandescence which is what i do to preview alpha out

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve Maya's Paint Effects Canvas to be more like Photoshop or texture editor in 3DS Max

Improve Maya's Canvas to be more like Photoshop or texture editor in 3DS Max

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Applying UV mapping should not take ages to calculate. Make it fast, like other 3D apps.

Why does the simple task of applying Automatic or Planar UV mapping cause Maya to freeze up for minutes calculating?

In the same time it takes Maya to apply Automatic or Planar mapping to a long line of beveled text, I suspect I could install Cinema 4D, authorize it, then create the same beveled text and UV map it. And Maya still wouldn't be done.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Mac port or is present across all versions, but it sure would be awesome if you folks fixed it.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base