Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Layout UV's should have option to not re-unfold the UV shells on arrangement

Currently, in Maya 2017 U4 Layout UVs is re-unfolding the shells on the Layout operation.This should not happen. I make the UV's in Unfold 3d due to many advantages Maya does not have for hard surface unfolding. I have mirrored overlapped Uvs and the layout is separating them then re-unfolding them separately. When i try to re-match them on top of eachother, they do not match anymore. Re-cutting and re-mirroring the mesh requires a lot of extra work done again. The Layout needs to be more intelligent with more options. Option 1- do not unfold UV's on UV Layout. Option…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Layout UVs should keep the overlapped UVshells togheter when re-arranging them

The current UV Layout in Maya 2017 U4, does a great job overall. For games though, we use pretty often mirrored meshes with overlapping UVs for texture size reasons. The Layout options do not have any for keeping overlapped UV's together while calculating the arrangement.
    Please add an option for the UV shells that are perfectly overlapping to be calculated together, overlapped. The software is moving the overlapping shells separate, this way using more texture resolution for the same UVs. It's tricky to rematch all the mirrored uv's back after the layout, also time consuming. This should be done automatically…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. a more stable UV Unfold is required

UV Unfold is very unstable! even the history is deleted.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Forgets Values after Piping in and out something in Node Editor

How ot works right now:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0 automaticly

How it should be:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0.4 as it was set previosly

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fix StingrayPBS Shader - Material Var - Vector2 (Disabled) due to Intel HD Graphics tested on Surface Pro series

Tested on Surface Pro 2, Pro 3, Pro 4:
    StingrayPBS -> Material Variable -> Vector2 (Disabled)

Tested on Aftershock laptop (NVIDIA GTX 980 card)and HP Workstation (Quadro card):
    StingrayPBS -> Material Variable -> Vector2 (Enabled)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Group Stacked UV Shells for layout

(I think my initial idea was lost due to log-in)

Group stacked UV shells so that they can be packed using 'layout' as one stack. This would be excellent of real time/game UV's. A further extension to this would be to offset the stacked shells to a separate UV tile ( -1, +1 etc) for baking purposes. An even bigger extension to this could be that the stacked UV shells (as long as they are exactly the same as the initial UV count) can be manipulated like an instance of the initial UV shell in the group. +1 on Arnold…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Set driven keys on layered textures alpha

It would be great to be able to add a set driven key to the alpha of a layered texture.
    It is possible to add it via a cube and break the connections of the set driven key and plug them into the alpha.

Currently when you attempt to add a set driven key to a layered texture alpha you get the error : // Error: line 0: No object matches name: ErykZwemlijfMAT1:DiffuseColor.alpha //

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Falloff ( Curve ) Node like in 3ds Max

It would be great to add a new node called "Falloff" just like 3ds Max which could be tweaked with beziersmooth curves in RGB ( at the same time ! ) or Mono.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Image sequence "Loop" checkbox.

Please add a Loop check box next to "use image sequence"
    A simple solution to a time wasting annoyance of using expressions all the time.
    People who use hybrid animation cycles in Maya will appreciate.

many thanks.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Limit Material Viewer CPU Usage

I like having the Material Viewer open, and the addition of the pause option is nice, but it would be great if you could specify a number of cores that can work on the material viewer, so you can work on other things while the preview works.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fix 2016.5 sp1 - Ramp Shader

Creation of a new ramp shader kill Maya instantly.
    If you create another shader, and connet ramp node to the color, you will see colors in viewport, but won't see any in Hypeshade (thumbnails - they are black) and baked textures will be black too.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Select UV set in place 2D texture node.

Have a dropdown selector in the place 2D texture node to select UV set for each texture. Current Relationship editor setup is cumbersome and seems to ignore textures connected to displacement.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Selecting a single edge is now impossible in UV Editor.

It will ALSO selects the edge related to the edge I've just selected.

I do NOT want this behaviour, I used to be able to select entire edge-loops this way and still only have it selecting from the shell that I clicked on. I would really like this behaviour back. Maya 2016 has added 20% nightmare to my workflow purely by doing this.

Maya should not make such assumptions about what my current task is. I am doing art that by design MUST have awkward UVs, For such a task, I need full control of my UVs, like I have…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add ability to make icons in hypershade node editor always large (or small)

Right now in Maya 2016 you can "toggle the icon swatch size of selected nodes to large/small)" with a button in the hypershade node editor. Any new nodes or nodes that aren't opened in the node editor will remain small. I would like to have the option to make all graphed nodes (including newly created nodes) have the large swatch size automatically without having to manually use the swatch size button.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Node editor - fix rearrangeGraph, Move

Node Editor still needs some work compared to the old Work Area:
    - Move: need to be able to MM move a selected node without being on top of it with the cursor (like everywhere else in Maya). Nodes often hidden behind others and rearrange tool does nothing so you're forced to manually untangle the mess till you find the node.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Node Editor: Always save node layout, option to add dots, backdrop, straight lines.

I like the Node Editor it's my first choice when I do shading, but it serious needs some tools to make it more friendly. When you get more than 20-30 connected nodes for some shader setup it start to get difficult to get a grasp of the node network. And Maya has a lot to learn from Nuke in this regard. Give us tools that makes it easier to understand the node flow.

1. Give us Dots which can serve as a hub for several incoming and outgoing connections. Reducing the clutter.
    2. Option to view the connection-lines straight rather…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Transfer Attribute Crash

There is a very annoying bug that does not allow me to transfer my UV sets to another object with the same topology. Every time I use the Transfer Attribute, it always crashes no matter what scene or object I use it with. It seems to be a mac problem because I don't see this problem in windows.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. tileable textures with directX 11 shader

Plugging in a repeatable image into the diffuse map slot or any other slot on the dx11 shader and it does not tile not matter how many times you bump up the repeat UV values on the place2dTextue node.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 3d paint tool

Currently the 3d paint tool is very laggy and can't handle very big textures. its save and update are very slow
    it needs some love and attention to become more efficient badly.
    also having a paint normal map would be good to have in there.
    it is a very powerful part of the old maya features set, fast and easy to use for beginners in 3d ( esp the extend seam colour to counter mip mapping in game engines)
    I find this tool for texturing to be fantastic for mobile game characters and wip up simple scenes and tileable textures…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base