Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change the default Camera Near and Far Clip Planes to a larger range

The default range for near and far clipping planes for the perspective camera is too small. It should either be much larger, or clipping planes should be disabled by for these types of cameras.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. crash and better save

Man, Maya need urgent a better way to handle crashes and saves. I lost overtime my last moments just because this is not write correctly. Look to apple products, they don't need me to save, they save automatically. and if a crash occurs (and i can say occur a lot, LOT #$%#$%), they came back with all save. With Maya, even knowing i have auto save, incremental save each 10 minutes, i already lost more than that time. It's annoying. And fix this dam crashes! All! Make it stable. This is the most important thing, more important then keep putting…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save Up axis in the scene

When saving a scene it should remember the Up axis (whatever it is Y or Z).

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Set Project location is remembered when a file is re-opened

Currently the scope of the set project function is only within the current working session. Every time a file is opened - regardless of which location was chosen previously as it's working project - it is set to whatever was in use by the previous maya scene that was open in that session. Aside from rendering the function essentially useless, it creates a mess when rendering using scene tokens. unless you set the path explicitly the render will always into the project that was set when the file was saved... even if it hadn't been set in that working session.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. default ortho camera positions are too close

Ortho cameras are defaulted to only 200 units away from the origin. This is problematic when modeling scenes at 1:1 scale. Any geometry more than (positive) two meters from the origin will not be seen by the camera. New users are really confused by this, and experienced users find it an annoying waste of time to correct. Default camera position should be 5000 if the default Far Clip is 10000.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Default grey Lambert shader that is being auto applied to new objects. It would be nice to be able to set a different default material.

It looks really ugly and rough, it would be nice to have an option to apply a different shader as a default.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. World units vs Display Units

I would like to be able to scale my scenes to a desired unit output at any point in the project. In other words, maya should be able to convert 1 unit = 1 cm to 1 unit = 1 in, ft, m... etc without scaling the destination units. This would save me a lot of trouble in building a workflow when I use maya but my coworker uses max. Also, some tools break when I do not work in inches (intersect curves).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Options for the .mayaSwtaches folder

Would it be possible to have some sort of options for what to do with the .mayaSwatches folder? Maybe just have a default directory where they all get saved, instead of creating a new one in nearly every folder that gets used for a project. Or have the option to not create the folder at all.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Think twice before neabling a new feature as default

I think of a feature introduced in the move tool, that when moving a joint, il allowed to orient it's parent joint.
    Caused a nice mess!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Camera far and near clip to all cameras at once

I would like to have the ability to change the near and far clip of all cameras at once. Maybe you guys can add a checkbox applying to all cameras. It is anoying once you have to do several times a day and sometimes a week changing the near and far clip of all cameras over and over again.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Working Units "Time" always defaults to 24fps no matter whats selected int the preferences editor.

Since I'm doing animations in PAL (25fps), I want to have this framerate as a default setting. While you can set it in the preferences editor (Settings/Working Units/Time), the selection gets lost after you restart maya again. So I manually have to edit the userPrefs.mel to get the 25fps permanent.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stop asking me for the product key. You know what it is already.

Why do you keep asking me for the product key when I'm trying to install the software? Shouldn't the installer know what product I'm trying to install? Its just one more annoying step in Autodesk installation. Maybe you could just make our life a little easier and change 'Welcome to the Maya 2013 installer' to 'Welcome to the Maya 2013 (657E1) installer"

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. max tex.resolution

the default texture resolution is set far to low for most texturing tasks.
    also the 8k limit is outdated

hope to get this changed

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make it possible to unload the stereoCamera plugin from an existing scene so that we can save the file in ASCII format

I't is currently not possible to do this because Maya needs to create a new clean scene to unload the plugin. If the old scene is loaded, referenced or imported after the plugin has been unloaded, the plugin will automatically be loaded again since the plugin is stored as a dependency in the old scene file. Having the plugin loaded makes it impossible to save the scene in ASCII format if it was previously saved as a Binary file.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Sequence in shortcuts

In each new version of Maya appear new tools with their respective menus and submenus, so many that you can no longer assign simple shortcuts
    My solution ... make shortcuts possible in sequence, something like has implemented sublimetext
    for example
    Ctrl + K, K delete from cursor to end of line

Or zbrush to select brushes

B, I, N inflate brush
    B, P, L planar brush

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make acwebbrowser.exe go away!

RAM gets filled with 6 copies of acwebbrowser.exe becoming a resource hog, eating CPU and RAM uselessly. Make acwebbrowser.exe go away! or at least so we can __completely switch it off__ in Preferences.

"c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\CLM\V3\MSVC11\cliccore\acwebbrowser.exe" And its pals.. in CLM\V4

Verse1:
    Tell us how to inactivate acwebbrowser.exe,
    Because we want it Go Away..

Chorus:
    acwebbrowser.exe, Go Away, Go Away,
    So we can never see you again..

Verse2:
    Tell us how to inactivate acwebbrowser.exe,
    So we can have an undisturbed workflow..

Chorus:
    acwebbrowser.exe, Go Away, Go Away,
    So we can never see you again..

Sing it together..

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Set project Should remain in tact along with last file even when Maya crashes.

Set project Should remain in tact along with last file even when Maya crashes. Currently if you set all this and Maya crashes you loose all of this information.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fix cameras when changing from Y-up to Z-up

When switching between files created in a Y-up (default) to a Z-up (Game engines) coordinate system, the default cameras and zooming/framing behaviors get all screwed up. The current fix or workaround is to create a new scene and import the entire old scene, so you're using the new scene's default cameras. Maybe coordinate system settings should be saved within the .mb as well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Remember "curve divisions" and "shaded divisions" for Nurbs from prefs.

Working with nurbs we like to have quality feedback in the viewport so we set the "curve divisions" and "shaded divisions" higher than 10-15 sometimes which gives very nice smooth looking nurbs in the viewport.

pressing 1,2 or 3 on the keyboard for different levels of quality the nurb surface defaults back to the ugly low value for the shaded divisions.

Please set it so the 1,2,3 key shaded divisions values related to the values set in preferences....instead of having to go into the attribute editor for the nurb surface and manually set the "crv precision shaded" value" to get…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. when creating things like cylinders, axis isn't exposed in the channel box

create a cylinder, sphere, torus, etc. In the creation node in the channel box you can set things like the radius and number of subdivisions, but if I want to change the axis it's built on, I have to switch to the attribute editor. Would seem like a minor fix to include the axis in the channel box

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base