Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to Disable 'Change Workspace' Hotkeys

Certain hotkeys, default or custom, will at times trigger the workspaces to change, usually when the mouse has clicked somewhere particular. In my case, it's often B, where I've mapped the play button. However this tends to change the Workspace to the Bifrost setup, which disrupts everything. I'd like to be able to lock the workspace so it can't be changed with a keystroke, or an option to outright remove those hotkey shortcuts so I don't keep changing when I have just so happened to click the wrong segment of the window

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hide ortho camera in the outliner and any default stuff in any view

Like the four cameras (prep,top..),lambert1...,defaultobjectset,intialstuff
    Also if show dag objects disabled, basically any object start with default

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Sequence in shortcuts

In each new version of Maya appear new tools with their respective menus and submenus, so many that you can no longer assign simple shortcuts
    My solution ... make shortcuts possible in sequence, something like has implemented sublimetext
    for example
    Ctrl + K, K delete from cursor to end of line

Or zbrush to select brushes

B, I, N inflate brush
    B, P, L planar brush

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 2017 Save folder

My maya2017 keeps saving my scene files to my sourceimages directory, even though i have my project set to the main directory.

Im on 2017 update 3

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Give warning when a Time Warp is active

Animator A creates a time warp for some reason, saves the scene and goes off for holidays.
    Animator B keeps working on the scene and finds something is not working well. Takes long hours to find out the reason and it could be avoided if he had a warning message when opening the scene that a time warp is active.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. decimal precision

when very far from the origin, there are artifacts from decimal precision in the viewport, and likely other areas. (Things start to jitter like crazy) I suggest making a control to extend decimal precision with the warning and disclaimer that it would have an adverse impact on RAM and file size. It can save your project sometimes!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Camera far and near clip to all cameras at once

I would like to have the ability to change the near and far clip of all cameras at once. Maybe you guys can add a checkbox applying to all cameras. It is anoying once you have to do several times a day and sometimes a week changing the near and far clip of all cameras over and over again.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Shortcut Hotkeys for Center Pivot and Freeze Transformations.

Very useful shortcuts for them could be key combinations that can quickly be used after the Delete History command (Alt+Shift+D), like:

Alt+Shift+(a letter key)

The letter key can either be one close to the D key, or one that can intuitively be associated with the respective command, like C or P and F or T.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Remove the "Active stereo does not work with Aero enabled. Active stereo has been disabled"

Just error when someone tries to switch to a stereo view. The average user doesn't need this functionality and doesn't need a warning every time Maya is started.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. maya custom standard browse

In settigns we should be able to change what browser to use. Right now my Maya 2017 uses IE regardless of what my standard browser is on the system.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make acwebbrowser.exe go away!

RAM gets filled with 6 copies of acwebbrowser.exe becoming a resource hog, eating CPU and RAM uselessly. Make acwebbrowser.exe go away! or at least so we can __completely switch it off__ in Preferences.

"c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\CLM\V3\MSVC11\cliccore\acwebbrowser.exe" And its pals.. in CLM\V4

Verse1:
    Tell us how to inactivate acwebbrowser.exe,
    Because we want it Go Away..

Chorus:
    acwebbrowser.exe, Go Away, Go Away,
    So we can never see you again..

Verse2:
    Tell us how to inactivate acwebbrowser.exe,
    So we can have an undisturbed workflow..

Chorus:
    acwebbrowser.exe, Go Away, Go Away,
    So we can never see you again..

Sing it together..

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. crash and better save

Man, Maya need urgent a better way to handle crashes and saves. I lost overtime my last moments just because this is not write correctly. Look to apple products, they don't need me to save, they save automatically. and if a crash occurs (and i can say occur a lot, LOT #$%#$%), they came back with all save. With Maya, even knowing i have auto save, incremental save each 10 minutes, i already lost more than that time. It's annoying. And fix this dam crashes! All! Make it stable. This is the most important thing, more important then keep putting…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Set Project location is remembered when a file is re-opened

Currently the scope of the set project function is only within the current working session. Every time a file is opened - regardless of which location was chosen previously as it's working project - it is set to whatever was in use by the previous maya scene that was open in that session. Aside from rendering the function essentially useless, it creates a mess when rendering using scene tokens. unless you set the path explicitly the render will always into the project that was set when the file was saved... even if it hadn't been set in that working session.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Display border edges by default

Display border edges by default on all polygon object by default, and with width of 3 which is more clear to view.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Prevent pivot orientation from changing on curves

My curves pivot orientation keep on changing when I change the pivot orientation on my other curves. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I'm having a hard time tying to set up rig controls. Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Options for the .mayaSwtaches folder

Would it be possible to have some sort of options for what to do with the .mayaSwatches folder? Maybe just have a default directory where they all get saved, instead of creating a new one in nearly every folder that gets used for a project. Or have the option to not create the folder at all.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Protect history

Provide us any way to protect the history of some nodes when we use Edit>Delete all by type>History.

Specially when we have some kind of compex system, not only with deformers (I menction it for Edit>Delete all by type>Non-Deformer History option).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Default grey Lambert shader that is being auto applied to new objects. It would be nice to be able to set a different default material.

It looks really ugly and rough, it would be nice to have an option to apply a different shader as a default.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix cameras when changing from Y-up to Z-up

When switching between files created in a Y-up (default) to a Z-up (Game engines) coordinate system, the default cameras and zooming/framing behaviors get all screwed up. The current fix or workaround is to create a new scene and import the entire old scene, so you're using the new scene's default cameras. Maybe coordinate system settings should be saved within the .mb as well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. some animation friendly shortcuts to add

put a keyboard shortcuts to (for the graph editor /channel box)
    -add keyframe to selected channel, (K)
    -to toggle lock/mute on channel(s) (L/M)

(for the timeline)
    -Delete keyframes ( so as not to need to right click every time)

Less clicking-->better life

This is so as to not have to right click on the channel box a million times and look for a menu entry.
    Currently it's not easy to add that stuff if you are not a mel wizard.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base