Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep code in the lower half of the Script Editor when it's executed, instead of flushing it

Unless I highlight code in the lower half of the Script Editor, it gets flushed away when I execute it.

As I develop a script it's common to execute the script several times to review modifications, but having to highlight everything just to prevent it from flushing is a pain.

Highlighting some parts of the script is a great way to achieve "selective" execution, so don't change this.

But if nothing is highlighted, execute everything and leave the code where it is.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Select lines of code and excute them (by ctrl+main enter or num enter)

Seletd lines are excuted and all lines remain in the lower half side.

As one user mentioned, the solution is not enough. Reopen it for further discussion.
    How about adding an option or shortcut for this?

2. There should be a way to "break" or stop an executed script in case of bad code.

Many times I have made a mistake in a for-loop or wherever and then there is no way for me to stop the script from calculating except by going to the Windows Task Manager and killing the Maya application.

For example, try this in a new scene:

for ($i = 20; $i > 1; $i -2 ) {
    print $i;
    }

There is no way out, that was a stupid mistake but give a guy a "break" please. Maybe a hotkey of sorts.

Thanks!

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Script Editor: Return function in maya python cmds (or pymel) instead of mel.

Currently the script editor returns functions in mel only.
    Seeing as most developers are moving over to python and new users start learning python skipping MEL all together, it might be nice to have an option to return all the functions in Maya Python cmds.
    Pymel currently offers a slightly hacky solution to get a similar result but it would be nice if atleast cmds would get properly supported.
    (the pymel solution can be found here:
    <maya install location>\Python\Lib\site-packages\pymel\tools\scriptEditor

Main advantages:
    1) Easier to learn python inside of maya ( just as most people learned mel :D )
    2) Prototyping…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Don't create an empty folder called "keyboard" when launching mayabatch

Whenever I launch a mayabatch process, an empty folder named "keyboard" is created in the current working directory. This does nothing but pollute my file-system and force me to clean them up.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Consistency in the flag names fullPath, fullPathName, dagPath, long

Wouldn't it be great to have one common flag to get back the full path for the returned objects? I know you can't realistically remove the other flags, but you can add another flag to these commands to give them one common flag.

ls and lsUI use "long"

listRelatives and filterExpand use "fullPath"

UI elements like optionMenu, and many attr* controls use "fullPathName"

namespaceInfo and referenceQuery use "dagPath" which may or may not be the full path. And to add to the confusion, referenceQuery uses "showDagPath" for reference edits and that is the full path.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. For scripting, I want more than one window at same time(not tab switching)

I am looking at some one's long script and modifying it. I am just feeling that it would be nice if Maya's script editor could take care of multiple window at same time. I know tab switching but sometimes I want to look at some scripts side by side.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. More Tutorials & Examples for Maya API on Mac OSX

I am learning Maya API to build/developing the (Open Source) Maya plugins for Maya. However, unfortunately only for Windows on the Maya API PDF manual, I couldn't find the tutorial for Mac OSX.

I tried to search around the web, but I couldn't find any good resource for the tutorial for building the plugins using either "X-Code" or "Make File". Of course, there is some text instruction in the "Open Source" Code. But, if Autodesk can offer more detailed tutorials/instruction, that would be awesome for Maya users on Mac OSX, I think.

Please take a really good consideration. Thanks!!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add two python pre-build numpy and scipy patch for Maya

they re very useful when calculating matrix in one command line. Matrix (in any size) is not a native strength of MEL

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Edit/Open/Save actual script files on disc with script editor.

Let the script editor open and edit an actual file on disc (Like in softimage).
    This saves from loosing data when maya crashes and keeps everything organized.
    (I hate debugging in a maya tab and copying and pasting code between a external
    file editor and the script editor.)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Undo support for multi attributes

When you want to add an index in a multi array you just do a getAttr on the node.attr[newIndex]. But then as it is only a get, when you undo, the multi attribute is not removed! We need to call explicitly the removeMultiInstance command. This is trouble some when working with custom attributes that are multi. A workaround is to use a custom command with a custom undo to add/remove elements... but this should be supported by default.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a string constructor for MObject and MPlug

I can't tell you how often I need to convert from a node name string to an MFnDependencyNode. Or from a plug name to an MPlug.

It would be really nice if we had a string constructor for these classes.
    It is super annoying to have to go through an MSelectionList all the time.

Ideally, I would ask for an MFnDependencyNode/MFnAttribute string constructor too, however they don't have an isNull() method, but MObject and MPlug do.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Execute pre-save callbacks BEFORE checking a file's writeable state

Currently pre-save callbacks get executed AFTER checking whether the file is writeable or not. This makes things like perforce integration difficult.

Please change maya so that pre-save callbacks (ie OpenMaya.MSceneMessage.kBeforeSaveCheck) get executed no matter what and THEN check to see if the file is writeable.

thanks.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I want a way to modify id of component

After you extrude or subdivide, the components are not continuous. So it is hard to select them via id.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. command completion in script field

would it be possible to add the command completion to the mel/python command line ?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Auto reload python scripts when importing them

We have custom menus here which automatically :
    import Script and launch functions

Somehow, when we replace scripts in the big scripts folder, we have to reload them manually or close/re-open Maya.

It would be cool that a reload() function launch automatically when you just use the import.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

@sebd_856: This has been moved to the Small Annoying Things to Fix forum, because it’s small enough scope.

Enjoy using your Ideas for Maya vote on something else, thanks.

17. Command to disable viewport redraw

We need a command to disable/re-enable the viewports updates. It is such a standard feature that all the other DCC have it. Reaflow even has it on shortcut by default.

This could prevent wasting so much time while "The Viewport 2.0 is processing"

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Can we get C++ callbacks for pre/post render?

I find it incredibly limiting that the only way to do something before or after a render is through MEL. Even the new prepareRender command isn't flexible enough since only one traversal set can be active at one time.

Even if you are careful and append your script to the preMel/postMel, there is no guarantee that all other plugins or tools (some of which can be external) will do the same. And the scripts do get cleared by certain operations like switching renderers or opening a file which had a different traversal set active at the time it was saved.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Actually copy script editor contents to the system clipboard, so if maya crashes or gets closed the copied contents are not lost.

Actually copy script editor contents to the system clipboard, so if Maya crashes or gets closed, the copied contents are not lost and can be temporarily pasted in a text editor for future retrieval.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support Custom Samplers in Quad Shaders (D3D11_SAMPLER_DESC)

Please add support for custom sampler descriptions in quad fx shaders.
    For example, the custom default behavior of D3D11_TEXTURE_ADDRESS_MODE -> D3D11_TEXTURE_ADDRESS_WRAP can't be changed to Clamp or Mirror.

It works already with dx11Shaders, so it should be an "easy" fix (hopefully)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base