Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Playblasting needs updating.

Playblasting needs an overhaul. It hasn't changed significantly since Maya's inception. It doesn't always update the display when running, meaning you can't watch its progress for errors or other monitoring tasks. It doesn't remember the output path you give it. On Windows, it annoyingly demands that you give an output file name in the browse dialog box before you can save the path, even you've already put one into the "movie file" field in the playblast dialog itself. The "movie file" field will save the name of the file when it was opened, but will not update if the file…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show keyframes on locked objects in the timeslider

Show keyframes on locked objects

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Duplicate Object > duplicates animation layers, but layers don't display in editor

Create an object, with animation, and 2 animation layers, "BaseAnimation" and "Pulse"
    Edit > Duplicate Special (duplicate input graph)
    Object is duplicated with duplicated animation curves, and duplicated animation layers. All duplicated nodes are renamed.
    The duplicated animation layers do not display in the Animation Layer Editor, and cannot be managed.

Please fix the new duplicated layers so they behave normally and can be manipulated in the editor.

It would also be handy if there was an option to duplicate the animation curves, but NOT duplicate the animation layers, rather keeping the duplicated object's curves in the same animation layers…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Curve edits on time editor overrides not updating with the Evaluation Manager

Viewport does not update with edits on override cruves in Parallel evaluation mode. Viewport starts updating when switched to DG evaluation mode. And it continues working when switched back to parallel mode somehow?
    Thanks for the otherwise awesome time editor :)

https://youtu.be/9IITwghvuOg

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. One Animation Key not moving

when you select one key on the timeline and drag it, the key doesn't actually move... that is until you select the previous frame as well, then the key will move.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 2017 - the modern Graph Editor.

(I've not posted this at the Ideas forum, as these are all small tweaks as opposed to new ideas)

The modern Graph Editor looks really nice and has a lot of potential, but there are some things that made me switch back to the classic Graph immediately. Of course I can just go back to the classic graph anyway, but there will be a release of Maya where you ditch the classic graph option, hence this post.

1: The key shapes. The tiny dots of the classic were perfect for selecting and having visual precision, where the new ones overlap…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Tim!

Thanks so much for submitting this, this is all incredibly useful feedback. We are working hard to ensure that we fine-tune the modern graph editor so that everything feels just right! So these suggestions will definitely help us towards that.

Thanks again and will keep you posted about any updates!

Best regards,

Stefania Medryk

7. Locally-Centric, scene specific, Auto Keyframe

Having Autokey as a global switch is super annoying. Auto keyframe would become a much better tool if it were applied to groups, objects, components, joins, etc. rather than a global switch. If I want to Autokey certain things in a scene, I should be able to select those things, then switch autokey on and have it turn off when deselecting those things. Making it locally-centric would remove the whole reason most people avoid using it all together - it stays on. It should turn off when you open a new scene at the very least. Please.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. quicktime playblast error

perhaps a solution to a bug.
    I have been getting the
    // Error: line 0: Unable to create video track. Check format.
    when trying to playblast quicktimes. I've been doing some looking and there is this:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42675636/maya-2017-playblast-file-problems
    which describes the problem and this that is a simpler solution that seems to have fixed for me
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maya_he3d/JVknnKUHlsQ
    ...... so kill the quicktimeShim.exe to solve.
    I'm still getting crashes from playblasting but thats seems to be one problem solve.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Cannot select all keys in Dope Sheet scene summary

For most animation curves you can easily select and manipulate all using the scene summary in the dope sheet editor. However, certain nodes, like a parentConstraint can have keys displayed in the scene summary, but it's unclear what keys it is and you cannot select them.

Notice in the video how after moving some keys, the keys seems to be left behind and cannot be selected or changed.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. animation playback for specific window

in XSI you could select which window to playback (or all windows) the animation when you scrubbed the timeline or graph editor timeline or press the play button

I'd like to lock a specific window to only playback that one window so maya is faster. even if i tear off a window, I'd like to lock that specific window to animate only that one, or all windows.

right now it's "which window is currently selected" but it doesn't even do that..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. XSI-like graph editor point drawing

in XSI there was the ability to draw points on a curve by just clicking while holding down "i"

not like the way it is now, where you insert a new key in maya, but you could actually just draw points randomly, I used it to add variance in my animation curves, like noise to make it less mechanical. it was a fast way to add things.

I want it back

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Auto Key rotation is buggy in LT2017.

II have created a Quick Rig Character, and have encountered problems when keying rotation values with Auto Key On. Rotations are not being properly interpolated with previous or following keys. The animation curves look fine in the editor, but the playback is moving from one pose to another in a single frame with no interpolation visible. The solution is to 1. Restart Maya or 2. Delete the Autokeyed Key and turn off AutoKeying function. 3 Manually set the key.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. problem with timeline in maya 2015

everytime I touch the timeline maya deselect everything i've selected before and it's very annoing when I need to animate something...how can i solve this bug? it appears only in some scene but i can't find the problem...i've optimized the scene and solved all the script editor error...i'm going crazy

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. MASH Bake instancer to object should keep group hierarchy

when distributed geometry is group object, Bake instancer object command dismembered all part of group.
    I want it to keep original group hierarchy after baking.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. MASH some small problem

Curve node:
    "Equal Spacing" attribute gray out when "Propotional Counts" is on.

ID node:
    "Fixed ID" result is affected by grayed out "ID Count" when "ID Type" is FIxed.

Replicator node:
    "Time Offset" on Time Machine section does not work?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base