Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please, Modernize the old MESH CLEANUP

At this time, it will be convenient to have a more "visual" and more "user friendly" tool for dectecting and repairing topology and other non- manfiold troubles on our meshes. I think something like the "mesh checking" allowed by Maxon Cinema 4D will be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-Ya5HcLdE

Thanks.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shift extrude scale does not uniformly extrude the face.

The new shift extrude is great, but when using it on the scale tool it produces unwanted results. See image attached, when extruding non-symmetrical faces such as a rectangle, the extruded face is not symmetrical so you have to go back to the old extrude method and use the offset slider to get the result you want. Please make the shift extrude tool always scale like the extrude offset tool does.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make polycount HUD display the actual number of verts like Unreal and Marmoset Toolbag.

The Maya polycount HUD does not display the actual number of verts your model will be once it's imported into a game engine or any other real time rendering solution. This can be quite misleading when you import your 900 vert mesh from Maya into Unreal and it becomes 1400 verts. The reason for this appears to be the fact Maya does not take into account UV splits and hard/soft edges. In game engines these all add extra verts, please add an option, or another print out in the existing HUD which tells you the total number of verts like…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Quad Draw has slower performance when the low mesh gets heavier than 4k polys

Retopology becomes a slower process in Maya when the mesh you are working with gets denser while you retopo. Whenever i go over 2-3 k polys the tool becomes visibly laggy. It's processing too many points on live mesh i guess. That live mesh algorithm might be too old and unoptimized and it's slowly killing Quad draw. I have Maya 2017 U4 and a powerfull machine. Yet, whenever i work on an object lower than 2 k polys the tool, works faster. In the same scene obj with more than 4k polys are slowing oen the Qdraw tool. We have…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Multi_Cut_Improvement

Multi_Cut (Delete Faces) Option DO NOT WORKING BY SYMMETRY

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. baking custom pivot to object pivot for heavy meshes (40k+) takes forever

Please optimize the baking pivot command. It is very important and it should be integrated in the tool settings menu and marking menu for easy access. It take for ever to bake pivot on high poly meshes. Say you want to orient the pivot on a 40k+ poly mesh, to snap to a face. You want that pivot to be the inherited object pivot from now on so you need to bake it down. The baking command take minutes to process. That is not acceptable. Please optimize that command for heavy meshes. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Extrude_Improvement

Shift + Scale Extrude Face, + (Undo) Shift + Scale Extrude Face Created Bad Geometry

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix new Crease Set Editor issues

While most of the old issues with creases being lost when doing certain operations have bee addressed in 2016 Update 2, there are new issues with the new system:
    1. The new Crease Set Editor has debug output that cannot be turned off which decreases the performance when working with creases. Please add the option to disable this debug output.
    2. Sometimes the logic that keeps the crease sets between operations will not work unless the Crease Set Editor is open! Which of course forces debug output in the Script Editor which reduces overall performance.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Undo smooth mesh destroys UV's

In Maya 2018 undoing a smooth mesh will destroy the uv's for that mesh. No amount of undo will return it back to normal.

Operation:
    Select object
    Mesh > Smooth
    Undo

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Merge vertices - specify resulting normals

When merging vertices it would be great if I could choose for the resulting vertex normals to be split or average.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. RMB marking menu freezes Maya 2017

Trying to switch to components via RMB marking menu freezes Maya randomly or once in a while . This never happened before in the other versions of Maya. I have updated to latest Nvidia driver and still the same problem. This is a major blocking . Please address this very annoying Viewport 2/ RMB marking menu bug.Thanks.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE 1***
    Thanks to help from one of the voters, DavidDeacon, the culprit has been identified: Navigate Graph in Bonus Tools 2017. This is a bonus tool that activates itself by default on installing the set of bonus tools, and by removing it, this particular memory leak issue disappears. So the good news is that you can still use Bonus Tools 2017 – you should just disable “Navigate Graph” (buildTraversalMM) watch this video to find out how to do so: .https://youtu.be/z71NeX03lOY?t=294

We’re continuing to investigate this on our end, but I thought I’d share David’s discovery with the rest of you.

ORIGINAL REPLY***
    Thanks for bringing this up and for those who voted it up.

We’re seeing reports of this, but we still haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on our end. And so without being able to reproduce the issue, we can’t identify what’s wrong and more…

13. Return the plane cut tool

The plane cut tool was very handy on cutting polys from the ortho views.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remember Caddies last settings

Every time modelling, the caddies dont remember the last settings, so for example, I'm doing bridge and I every time I have to reduce the number of edges to 1.
    I can use the shortcut G but I dont just do the same operation over and over, I would like them to remember last settings, and also have a reset settings buttons

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Maya 2017 Update 3 - Multi-cut problems and ideas.

Multi-cut is a very effective tool. But lately, I've been facing some problems with it, and missing out useful stuff.

I will post one problem I am having:
    If you have a kinda dense mesh object, Multi-Cut will not perform a loop split, even if the loop line is displayed when hitting Ctrl. If you complete the action, It will make a near edge cut display only. This gets even more complicated with symmetry.
    If you try the Insert Edge Loop Tool workaround after that (with symmetry turned on), Maya will crash with a fatal error.

Now, the idea:
    This…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. components mode shortcuts moved to F1 F2 F3 F4 and F5

Please move the shortcuts for switching to components, to F1, F2. F3, F4 and F5. Switch the Menu Presets shortcuts with Components Selection. We need the component shortcuts closer to the left hand. While modeling , the left hand is mostly hovering in the Alt, W, E, R area , that is the Left side of the keyboard. Having to go to the right side of the keyboard so to switch to components mode is not practical. I know i can change the shortcuts myself , which i already did, but i think is more intuitive to have it like…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The position change in Marking menus is really annoying!

almost all the UV tools in its marking menu changed, and it's really annoying when you used to use marking menu for many years!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bend Deformer needs update to be as accurate as the one in Max

Bend Deformer needs to be like the one in Max. Right now its almost useless for accurate modelling. The feature set and ux of the Max version would be enough. Please integrate into Maya!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve Snap Together Tool

The Snap Together Tool could benefit from a "reverse first normal option". This would allow the first object to be snapped to the second object by using a reversed normal not the regular alignment. This will make the tool behave like a point to point snap tool with the addition of keeping normals parallel. This can be done by having the user hold Shift or another key while clicking one or both of the objects to register the normal as reversed.
    On a more general note, if you'd like to have the ability to query key presses when creating your…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base