Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please, Modernize the old MESH CLEANUP

At this time, it will be convenient to have a more "visual" and more "user friendly" tool for dectecting and repairing topology and other non- manfiold troubles on our meshes. I think something like the "mesh checking" allowed by Maxon Cinema 4D will be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-Ya5HcLdE

Thanks.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please graph entire shading networks

Please graph the ENTIRE shading network when using the graph materials button on when graphing a shader on selected. I'm pretty sure is how it used to work until the genius redesign. I'm tired of having to graph a material twice with different nodes selected to access things like displacement nodes. This is super stupid.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please move Hypergraph back under main Windows menu

What was the rationale in moving the Hypergraph menus under the "General" category, but leaving the Outliner where it was? Who decided that the Hypergraph was less important and less used than the Outliner? Please move it back!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Layout UVs should keep the overlapped UVshells togheter when re-arranging them

The current UV Layout in Maya 2017 U4, does a great job overall. For games though, we use pretty often mirrored meshes with overlapping UVs for texture size reasons. The Layout options do not have any for keeping overlapped UV's together while calculating the arrangement.
    Please add an option for the UV shells that are perfectly overlapping to be calculated together, overlapped. The software is moving the overlapping shells separate, this way using more texture resolution for the same UVs. It's tricky to rematch all the mirrored uv's back after the layout, also time consuming. This should be done automatically…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Maya Light Editor - Editing multiple lights

Editing multiple lights simultaneously in the light editor is no longer possible in Maya 2018. This was possible in Maya 2017 by selecting all the lights in a group and changing their color. Somehow that feature got removed during the UI redesign in Maya 2018. Actually, i found this to be the most useful feature of the Light Editor, and multi-editing should be possible in Maya. Attribute Spreadsheet and Channelbox are no option for lookdev light color editing + arnold IPR, as you have to enter the values numerically. Please bring that back.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Playblasting needs updating.

Playblasting needs an overhaul. It hasn't changed significantly since Maya's inception. It doesn't always update the display when running, meaning you can't watch its progress for errors or other monitoring tasks. It doesn't remember the output path you give it. On Windows, it annoyingly demands that you give an output file name in the browse dialog box before you can save the path, even you've already put one into the "movie file" field in the playblast dialog itself. The "movie file" field will save the name of the file when it was opened, but will not update if the file…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show keyframes on locked objects in the timeslider

Show keyframes on locked objects

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix the temperorary component selection bug!

The temporary component selection mode which one invokes with the RMB after selecting an object (e.g. vertex, edge, face...), stays ON permanently. You cannot get out of it as before: It used to be that I could also use RMB to do "Select All" and then just click on empty space and I am back in the "object selection mode".
    Now, you can invoke the temporary component selection mode with RMB as before, but once in, you cannot select "Select All" with RMB. It is not there any more. You are forced to go to the top of the interface…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Hide Manipulator (Ctrl or shift) option is buggy

My workplace (50+ animators) is finding that when the "Hide Manipulator" preference is enabled, it can hide the current manipulator randomly and unpredictably.

The translate tool will seem to disappear, while toggling to rotate and scale, those manipulators display perfectly. Switching camera/viewport or bashing Ctrl/shift seems to correct it until the next occurance.

Such a small frustrating kink in an otherwise awesome option!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Is there are a way to turn off the automatic drag scaling of numbers in the channel box?

I'm not sure whether this is a new feature that it annoying me, or there has been some change in the driver software, but I'm on the Mac, and I'm finding selecting and setting UI focus on channel numbers more problematic recently. To make sure I actually get the UI to focus on the number(s) I want to edit, I drag a little in the numerical entry area, and I am finding it all too often produces the unwanted result of scaling the size of the number entered, rather than simply selecting the number I want to edit. Who uses…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix the Panel Editor so the panels in Edit Layout Contents match the actual panel

An actual layout in maya using persp scriptEditor and toggledOutliner lists in the panel editor as Top Panel Time Editor and Model Panel.

Custom layouts using the Toggled Outline do not open correctly either. Can find outlinerPanel1.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Duplicate Object > duplicates animation layers, but layers don't display in editor

Create an object, with animation, and 2 animation layers, "BaseAnimation" and "Pulse"
    Edit > Duplicate Special (duplicate input graph)
    Object is duplicated with duplicated animation curves, and duplicated animation layers. All duplicated nodes are renamed.
    The duplicated animation layers do not display in the Animation Layer Editor, and cannot be managed.

Please fix the new duplicated layers so they behave normally and can be manipulated in the editor.

It would also be handy if there was an option to duplicate the animation curves, but NOT duplicate the animation layers, rather keeping the duplicated object's curves in the same animation layers…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. transfer vertex normals on selected vertices does not work

using the Transfer Attributes to transfer vertex normals on just some selected components does not work or does not behave as expected. We need to be able to copy vertex normals between meshes on neck seams for example. I need to copy the normals to be identical only on the seam vertices. Transfer Attributes vertex normals works only on entire meshes right now in Maya 2017 U3 and probably the same in 2018. Please make this work simple and great or make a new tool for copying vertex normals between selected components like this one: https://vimeo.com/126980056

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2018 toolbar scaling for preset options

hello! I'm recently going from maya 2016 to 2018
    and I noticed a small "bug" which is driving me BATTY

in the "toolbar" is a small grey line separating the preset layouts and the tools ...that line DOSEN'T move! and there is QUITE the gap between the "scale" button and the "last used tool" button where if this small grey line could move then people could access the "persp/graph editor" button...which as an animator I use ALOT so my small fix/tweak would be to PLEASE allow that little grey line to MOVE so we can access the graph editor on…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add NURBS curves when in isolate selected mode

You've added auto addition of newly created objects in isolate select (great) but this currently does not include NURBS curves. Please add NURBS curves to the list of objects that will auto load into isolate select. This is essential for some modeling tasks, such as rebuilding an existing element of an object that needs to be isolated in order to see it properly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Maya shouldn't pull window focus while loading

Loading Maya it will repeatedly pull window focus and interrupts you. This is even worse if you are loading a heavy scene or directly opening a file.

Maya will force focus away from whatever else you are doing. Blinking on the taskbar when ready would be much more reasonable.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. User Custom Brushes in PaintFX, like chain links that grow or effect from base

I look all over one for tutorial to do this. There is none. I think if it is not possible to make custom PFX brush then please say so. All do is want to make a chain grow up and down a curve like in Spawn or a grappling hook with chain.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Increase number of lights that'll show up in Viewport 2.0

At the moment, I can't have more than 6 lights in my scene and have them show up in the viewport.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Input Min and Max for polyColorMod node

Hi,

Mesh vertex colors sometimes exceed the range of zero to one per channel. E.g. Bifrost velocity channel stored in BIF or Alembic.

As far as I know, is currently not possible to scale the display of the vertex colors so that all channel values are shown on the viewport, with no clipping. Currently, almost all of the Bifrost velocity data is clipped from the vertex color display because velocity almost always exceeds a value of one.

The Color Set Editor offers a "Modify" button that adds a polyColorMod node. This node allows manipulation of the color set data... but…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 55 56
  • Don't see your idea?

Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base