Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Render Setup - Collection - Sync Selections with Outliner - Render Setup needs configurable Settings

Adding and removingof collections in the rendersetup has broken selection Logic.

The problem is, that when selection objects in the outliner and clicking on "Add" , those items get added to the simpleSelector node (collection). But subsequently pressing on remove, doesn't remove those items, because the selection for removing items in queried from the simpleSelector StaticSelection box (where all the collection items are listed).

Yes, one can double click in the collection menu on an item to select it in the outler, but you can't select multiple items with that. There is also no button doing that. The Button 'select'…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modeling: Mesh > Combine (check "skin") should also combine dual quaternion weights where appropriate

If the input objects are any combination of "linear", "weight blended" and "dual quaternion", the result should be a "weight blended" skinned object.

The DQ-weights on that object should correspond to the weights of any input "weight-blended" objects, 100% for input "dual quaternion" objects and 0% for input "linear" objects.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make modelling toolkit side tab bigger

It would be great to make the tabs bigger for easier selecting.
    The channel box, Attribute editor and Modelling toolkit buttons are tiny. I find myself selecting the Main Maya window instead of the button as the buttons are so close to the edge and minute!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Layout UVs should keep the overlapped UVshells togheter when re-arranging them

The current UV Layout in Maya 2017 U4, does a great job overall. For games though, we use pretty often mirrored meshes with overlapping UVs for texture size reasons. The Layout options do not have any for keeping overlapped UV's together while calculating the arrangement.
    Please add an option for the UV shells that are perfectly overlapping to be calculated together, overlapped. The software is moving the overlapping shells separate, this way using more texture resolution for the same UVs. It's tricky to rematch all the mirrored uv's back after the layout, also time consuming. This should be done automatically…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make Asset Containers portable

I think the containers are a good idea but still need work. Firstly why not add the "create new asset" functionality inside the Node Editor? Also allow access to the asset manager through the Node Editor menu/window. Secondly why cant we make the assets exportable? Export them as unique file types that can be exported/imported and shared between scenes/artists. Currently they add little to no value and are hardly used at all.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Curve to tube mesh (bonus tools) Width property can't go below 0.1

Yeah, so the minimum width is 0.1 which is way too thick for small tubes. The workaround I'm doing is that I'm first scaling the curve up 100 times, freezing the transform and scaling it by 0.01 and then making it a tube. Pretty annoying.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ramp Textures do not display in Viewport

The first image is a screencap of my viewport, with a toon shaded object. The texturemap will not display in any iteration of viewport. The second image is a render, showing the same toon shaded object, with texture displaying correctly.

Is there a way to get textured ramp shader materials to display properly in the viewport? It would make look-development for toon shaded objects much easier.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Edit Attribute Window Bug Fix

Fix bug in Edit Attribute window.
    If you try to change the name of an custom attribute in the Edit Attribute window, it will seem to take the change, but when you close and open the file back up the change will have been lost. The only way to truly change the name of an attribute is to delete it and recreate it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Game exporter Upgrades

-Make game export window able to dock to the maya Layout and not
    always a separate window please

-it would be great if we could rearrange a clips up and down on the list

-Add option to create clips from Animation Layers

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sticky Maya

I've been taking a look at Maya 2018 demo, I work usually with 2012.

Maya has become "sticky", sticky in axis constraint, sticky in components selected (specially when we want to constrain some component, for example a vertex, along side the edge of other object and you activate edges in magnetized object). If that object had some edge selected the last time, then it will move both.

I propose some quick-reset movement, like double tapping for magnet keys (c,x,v). Something as "v-v" and then, magnetize selection.

The same way for axis constraint. Double tap to w and reset constraints.

If…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Every version is a bit of crap

Every another version of maya is a bit of crap, more and more crap. Maya crashes at moment which you even think about it. Slower and slower. This should be light software for carry lots, but is a heavy and cant carry light. For ex. memory managment... is awesome... open 2gigs project and maya catch 64 gigs of ram. Rendering... why is not another process. Shading, even you turn off every relodings, and dummys still hungs when you have for ex 100 shaders. Hey guys, why i cant remove reference when is not loaded? shit. Optimizing, deleting history, referencing this…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please, Modernize the old MESH CLEANUP

At this time, it will be convenient to have a more "visual" and more "user friendly" tool for dectecting and repairing topology and other non- manfiold troubles on our meshes. I think something like the "mesh checking" allowed by Maxon Cinema 4D will be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-Ya5HcLdE

Thanks.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please give the Attribute Editor a minimize button

No idea why this menu doesn't already have one. This is particularly annoying given the fact that the AE STILL doesn't come to the top of the stack when called with Ctrl + A, meaning it gets close more often than it would with a minimize button.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please graph entire shading networks

Please graph the ENTIRE shading network when using the graph materials button on when graphing a shader on selected. I'm pretty sure is how it used to work until the genius redesign. I'm tired of having to graph a material twice with different nodes selected to access things like displacement nodes. This is super stupid.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Uninstance or delete one object out of many instances

Lets suppose there are 100 instances of one object. Now if we want to delete one or 2 objects from it, its not possible. It deletes everything.
    If anyhow we can un-instance an object it would be GREAT!

Thanks in advance!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. You can buy DisplaceD for changing texture deformer. Texture deformer can't mix 2d and 3d textures.

You can buy DisplaceD for changing texture deformer. Texture deformer can't mix 2d and 3d textures.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please big minds to create preview render and ipr as separate process.

In big scenes i almost impossible to stop preview render or ipr without crash. So idea is to put render as separate process which i could kill everytime when i want stop render. Ok guys? great!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I'd like to be able to assign a shortcut key to Snap Together Tool

Simple problem. Was looking through the menus and noticed this I guess new command, it's certainly new to me, and after playing around with it, it seems useful. So I go to assign a shortcut key to it in our new handy dandy Hotkeys editor, and find it is not listed as a possible command.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Hidden Objects dont show UVs in UV editor

If an object is hidden and you select it in the outliner, the UVs don't show up in the UV editor. If this is the intended use. Please give us an option to "Display Hidden Objects" to show them

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please move Hypergraph back under main Windows menu

What was the rationale in moving the Hypergraph menus under the "General" category, but leaving the Outliner where it was? Who decided that the Hypergraph was less important and less used than the Outliner? Please move it back!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 56 57
  • Don't see your idea?

Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base