Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please, Modernize the old MESH CLEANUP

At this time, it will be convenient to have a more "visual" and more "user friendly" tool for dectecting and repairing topology and other non- manfiold troubles on our meshes. I think something like the "mesh checking" allowed by Maxon Cinema 4D will be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-Ya5HcLdE

Thanks.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the temperorary component selection bug!

The temporary component selection mode which one invokes with the RMB after selecting an object (e.g. vertex, edge, face...), stays ON permanently. You cannot get out of it as before: It used to be that I could also use RMB to do "Select All" and then just click on empty space and I am back in the "object selection mode".
    Now, you can invoke the temporary component selection mode with RMB as before, but once in, you cannot select "Select All" with RMB. It is not there any more. You are forced to go to the top of the interface…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Input Min and Max for polyColorMod node

Hi,

Mesh vertex colors sometimes exceed the range of zero to one per channel. E.g. Bifrost velocity channel stored in BIF or Alembic.

As far as I know, is currently not possible to scale the display of the vertex colors so that all channel values are shown on the viewport, with no clipping. Currently, almost all of the Bifrost velocity data is clipped from the vertex color display because velocity almost always exceeds a value of one.

The Color Set Editor offers a "Modify" button that adds a polyColorMod node. This node allows manipulation of the color set data... but…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Maya shouldn't pull window focus while loading

Loading Maya it will repeatedly pull window focus and interrupts you. This is even worse if you are loading a heavy scene or directly opening a file.

Maya will force focus away from whatever else you are doing. Blinking on the taskbar when ready would be much more reasonable.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Vertical/Horizontal arrangement of nodes - Node editor

Vertical arrangement of nodes allows for the Node editor to be placed side by side to the Attribute Editor. When the node editor is docked above the attribute Editor, the AE is hard to read as its not really designed to be used in this type of layout. So an option to arrange nodes vertical/horizontal would be a nice touch.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. One Animation Key not moving

when you select one key on the timeline and drag it, the key doesn't actually move... that is until you select the previous frame as well, then the key will move.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The ability to edit posts on these forums (and thread titles)

I suggest allowing us to edit our posts on these maya suggestions and bug report forums, and ideally the topic title too (perhaps with moderator confirmation if needed) as these forums' purpose is an ongoing longterm collaborative effort from both users and developers and often it would be great to be able to add information, fix wording or reformat a post/op for readability, update links, add further explanatory images, update bug report observations and reproduction steps, or add new relevant ideas to existing posts without cluttering with new posts or having to delete and repost.

There are many more reasons…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Paint Skin Weights "select" mode should only select vertices; shouldn't select bones, locators, etc over vertices

Currently, when using "select" mode in the paint skin weight tool, if you band box select vertices but a joint or locator is in the band box, it will switch to selecting that object and cause a cycle of "leave tool, select object, enter tool, switch mode" selection manner to reset it back to a point to pick vertices. Since vertices are the only selection valid in this mode, they should be the only thing selectable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to Disable 'Change Workspace' Hotkeys

Certain hotkeys, default or custom, will at times trigger the workspaces to change, usually when the mouse has clicked somewhere particular. In my case, it's often B, where I've mapped the play button. However this tends to change the Workspace to the Bifrost setup, which disrupts everything. I'd like to be able to lock the workspace so it can't be changed with a keystroke, or an option to outright remove those hotkey shortcuts so I don't keep changing when I have just so happened to click the wrong segment of the window

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. layered texture attribute editor is archaic & pitiful

layered texture attribute editor is archaic & pitiful. It has not changed since v1

The 'thumbnails' never show anything. The left/right layout is not intuitve. Text of layers is black over black and illegible half the time.

In the node editor or hypershade it does not display its input seperately. The al layer does I could just use that I suppose but really it should be better.

It is not fit for purpose. Please update it....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. baking custom pivot to object pivot for heavy meshes (40k+) takes forever

Please optimize the baking pivot command. It is very important and it should be integrated in the tool settings menu and marking menu for easy access. It take for ever to bake pivot on high poly meshes. Say you want to orient the pivot on a 40k+ poly mesh, to snap to a face. You want that pivot to be the inherited object pivot from now on so you need to bake it down. The baking command take minutes to process. That is not acceptable. Please optimize that command for heavy meshes. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Extrude_Improvement

Shift + Scale Extrude Face, + (Undo) Shift + Scale Extrude Face Created Bad Geometry

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. driven key doesn't display name of driver in the graph editor any more

In older versions of Maya, when you were editing a driven key in the graph editor, the axis were labeled so you knew what was driving the curve. In the current version of Maya, that seems to have gone away.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hypershade & Node Editor: Better display of huge big Nodes required, unreadable attribute names

Often it is impossible to read anything on big Nodes
    (please see attached screenshots with example node "FurDescription"!)
    or even to work with a huge Node Network.
    The Hypershade & Node Editor both need additional layout options for such big nodes and networks.
    Here are 4 suggestions, I think even realizing ALL four of them would appropriate:
    1. It could be a second magnifier window.
    2. It could be the same kind of layout like in the Attribute Editor, where collapsed items can expanded with a simple click.
    3. It should be an additional display mode available, that is not…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow custom names for tabs in the script editor - all tabs are currently "MEL" or "Python"

All tabs in the Script Editor are labeled either "MEL" or "Python".
    When I have 20 "MEL" tabs it becomes difficult to find the tab that I'm looking for.
    Please allow custom names.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hide Manipulator (Ctrl or shift) option is buggy

My workplace (50+ animators) is finding that when the "Hide Manipulator" preference is enabled, it can hide the current manipulator randomly and unpredictably.

The translate tool will seem to disappear, while toggling to rotate and scale, those manipulators display perfectly. Switching camera/viewport or bashing Ctrl/shift seems to correct it until the next occurance.

Such a small frustrating kink in an otherwise awesome option!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The user interface is going to give me a stroke!

There is no little thing to complain. the overall user interface is a nightmare. I do appreciate that over the past year it has been improving but honestly. What a nightmare compaired to Autocad, Cinema 4d, 3ds Max and even blender!

The is no logic to follow. There's not even a point to mention examples because is too many.

I would usually not post this, because I know is just me complaining and not constructive at all. I just hope there are many around complaining so you guys actually do something about the user interface. As a designer is hard…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. My studio is going back to maya 2016 - massive viewport and QT problems impeding work

Too many problems to describe. We have a room full of advanced Maya users each with 10-20 years of maya experience, and we are fed up with maya 2017. Its a product with great new features but its so broken on the interface and display / prefs side that it makes daily work really unenjoyable and inefficient.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I’m setting this entry to “Under Review” for a number of reasons:
    - The subject line and vote count of this entry warrants direct and immediate attention – and I assure you, you’ve got it
    - We’ve put a lot of resources on bug fixing lately and hopefully you’ll notice the improvements in upcoming major and minor (“Update”) releases
    - A number of items brought up here are right now being worked on (e.g. Mr. Noo’s complaint about components moving locally at different speeds for objects with different scales and Gerard’s complaint that you can’t snap to a local rotation axis)
    - We’re listening…

On that last point, we are looking everywhere for feedback on Maya’s latest releases and how we can improve its stability and robustness. Mr. Noo, you’re absolutely right – loads of features alone isn’t what encourages users to move to…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 53 54
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base