How can we improve Maya?

Maya software update of version 2019

Dear Autodesk co,
Hello, I am a long - term Maya teaching university teacher, and also a loyal user of the software. I would like to talk about my views on the future direction of Maya software.
First, as far as the operation is concerned, the annual update has become a habit since the acquisition of Maya. Every time the content is much more, the more important thing is that the way of operation has changed. In particular, after the 2014 version, compared with the current version 2018, it feels like two completely different software. In my view, software architecture must be user oriented, and the more concise the operation is, the better. It can be said that simplicity is the original intention of software design. But until now, Maya has developed dozens of kinds of hot box operations, which makes it difficult for users to get used to it. I don't know whether the future version will continue to be complicated in the operation. Secondly, as far as module integration is concerned, the current modules of Maya are already many, 5. It can be said that each module can be a single software. In the 2017 version, not only do not delete some of the original tools, but also add a number of new tools. I think the idea of this design will only make Maya the most complex and huge software in the world, not the best. I hope you can have a look at the update of PS. Its update has been consistent until the CS6 version is consistent with the original version, allowing users to quickly accept it, and Maya adds a lot of content every year, which has been unable to adapt to the old users, let alone new users. Thirdly, for node control and Mel aspect, for example, the setting of skeletal controller, just setting up a controller requires set driven key, connection editor, hypergraph connection and many other operation panels, which is very complicated. The various panels of the panel operate in different ways, and I do not know whether the future updates will be more complex on the basis of the original. In terms of Mel language, this function is useless for users who don't know Mel, but now Python is added, making Maya more complex in user programming. Finally, as far as the software volume is concerned. From 2016 to 2017 to 2018, the volume is 3.82G, 2.61G, and 2.64G.the largest of which 2016. I think the size of the software capacity can respond to one problem, that is, the degree of software optimization. I don't know whether the 2019 version will be more space.
Summary measure of whether a software standard of excellence is not it more complex operation more difficult to adapt to the more complex, but whether it can be easy to understand and master, whether at a faster way to achieve the desired effect. I hope that when you design software in the future, you will be able to adopt the idea of Jobs's iPhone design, that is, make it easy.

Yours faithfully
A user
2018/1/25

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
yinxin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • 7Cf3tefv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if you want to magically click one button and do what you want, go to sleep and dream. Otherwise in real life, if you were able to do that, you would have very limited possibilities of doing something. Just like in iphone. beautiful interface and very limited, easy but sh*t

• 7Cf3tefv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

easy means less control and less control means useless. just like an iphone :)

• mezze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using maya since 2004, and in Alias training center we adopted ILM's custom hotbox, and learn how to set more tools.

Basic usage is to press biggest key on keyboard and pick the tool.
    So in every iteration of maya, I spend an hour to adjust it and to make my life less difficult, and to search for new options.

It is not that hard

• PqJNgf18 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Down Vote for me too.
    i am using maya since version 4.5 and i have to say they are not changing maya at all and that is why the created the subscription system both adobe and autodesk will regret this soon, giving the same old feature to people and expect us to pay while other softwares like nuke-blender- houdini are working hard giving people the best technology , its almost 3 years that i stoped recommending maya to my students and friends. all they do is changing the location of buttons and shelves and releasing a new version. if you want a non-complex software you can work with microsoft 3d-paint , but for me i want Maya to be as advance and complete as Houdini.

• Tyros_uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Arda...

I do use Maya since version 5 and for me....still the same........
    just because they changed where should I press few buttons, does not mean that Maya is a completely different software. Are just buttons!
    All upgrades are valid and amazing updates!!
    Autodesk just has to take care during updates and new implementations to not have bad side effects. That is makes something that had always worked stop work.
    Looking forward for future releases,..... new implementations!! Maybe some distributed simulation(farm simulation) like Houdini and Realflow. Maya is behind in that aspect!

• Arda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish there was a way to downvote an idea. I pay a Maya maintenance fee every year for improvements to existing features as well as new, more advanced features. Although I don't like Autodesk for their greedy approach and I am slowly replacing Maya with other tools because of that, as far as features go, they have been doing a great job adding new features to Maya. Just because improvements to existing features and the introduction of new features make it difficult for you to teach Maya, it doesn't make any sense to limit product features or to split it into 5 different products. Just don't teach the more advanced features if it's difficult for you. Don't user Python if you don't want to (I don't; I prefer the MEL and C++ APIs, but that doesn't give me the right to ask Autodesk to remove Python support, as there are lots of other users who prefer it). If you want a simple/basic toy 3D package, maybe Maya is not the right tool for you. I would happily use 3 votes to downvote this idea if it were possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base