Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. glTF support is needed for VR/AR industry

Those of us in the VR/AR industry are rapidly embracing the glTF 2.0 file format.

Sites like Sketchfab are embracing this format and it is gaining momentum.

However, right now, creating glTF assets is very difficult-- there are a few ways of converting existing formats but most of them are extremely cumbersome, require other software (Blender, for example), and are generally not very robust yet.

I will speak on behalf of us in the VR/AR industry in saying that we really need the support of companies like Autodesk to help us.

https://www.khronos.org/gltf

Seeing as Autodesk is listed as one of…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Edge Constrain Functionality in Maya's UVToolkit like Unfold 3d has it

Although you guys added a lot of UV tools lately and revamped the UV Tollset completely, I still have to go to Unfold 3d to be able to fast and properly unfold hard surface meshes. What i like in Unfold3d is straight edges and the way the unfold keeps track on them while optimizing. I could not find anything similar so far in Maya. We need the unfold feature to work hand in hand with constrained edges like in Unfold3d. Pin UVs , Straighten UVs and Straighten Shell are inferior and painful to use tools far from delivering the results…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. edit soundtrack in trax

I would like to be able to edit the sound track in trax editor. Either as linked to an animation clip or unlinked..like it works in Premier pro for instance. Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please restore close button in maya attribute editor window

In maya 2016 and earlier attribute editor had a close button. This is removed from 2017-2018 versions. Please restore this button!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. CTRL+A to raise attribute editor over other windows

Hello,

Its been a huge annoyance in maya since a long time where if attributes editor is hidden below another window like hypershade, pressing hot key to raise it does not bring it over top of the window its currently under.

So a user has to move all his windows around to find where it exists.

It would be fantastic if this worked!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dynamic search fields in connection editor.

Right now the connection editor does not have a way of searching the attributes from out to in connections. Would be great to have that so users don't spend time scrolling through lists of hundreds of attributes.

Original thread is here:
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/dynamic-search-fields/m-p/7443862/highlight/false#M48103

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Easier object manipulation in orthographic views with scroll wheel

Being able to scroll with a mouse while holding down the center point with the move tool and having the object move closer or farther from the orthographic camera direction would be very useful and mean less jumping back and forth from ortho and perspective views.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide a Pose Manager for Maya's Control Rig Like "Studio Library"

Hi,

Maya's FK/IK characterization tool for the Biped Characters is incredible. It seems like we can import any 3d model, map the bones, characterize it in Maya and create animations using the control rig attached to a character.

So, it would be ultra cool, if Maya provided a Poses Manager similar to "Studio Library." That way, we can create preset poses and apply to any character's control rig. A poses manager library will drastically speed up our animation workflow, and we won't have to keep creating similar animations for different characters or copy paste them from other projects, etc.

Since…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. UV shell

Add option to preserve overlapped UVs shells together for auto packing tool.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Incorporate Quick Rig and HumanIK into 1 comprehensive tool

Retargeting Rigs:

Sorry but, Quick rig's only advantage is it's auto placement of joints from a model. How about using that as: Step 1, in Human IK? Step 2: Ability to manually move guides further, hand joints, and toe roll joint should be added to the Skeleton UI.

It would also be nice to have the ability to set the joint positions procedurally in a script ?

Step 3 & 4: Rig Generation with T-pose correction available, and the align joint axis mirrored behavior. Create Rig - Auto-definition.

Step 5: Controls - Mapping Custom Controllers and Customize Character Layout.

Skinning…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Arnold Shaders and Lights to the Rendering Shelf

On the default rendering shelf in Maya 2018 there are buttons to create and assign various shaders to the selected object(s). This is much easier and faster that the RMB menu.

Please add Arnold shaders and lights to that shelf.
    It would be gret if I could customize it to set the color of load a preset.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "Save As" Default Location

In 2016, when you click "Save As..." it would take you to your scene folder, and you could save your file. Now in 2017 when you click Save As this takes you to whatever folder you were last in. This is useless.

Please revert back to Save As location sending you directly to the scene folder you set in your project window.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add functionality to totem/Dial for animators in Maya

Dell and Microsoft have released interactive displays called the Dell Canvas and the Surface Studio with similar dial-shaped hardware called totems and Dials, respectively, for interacting with digital assets. As an animator, I'm looking to invest in a high quality display that does not cost what Cintiq is charging, therefore I am eyeing the Dell Canvas.

I imagine this tech will stick around in the industry for some time as both Dell and Microsoft, and potentially as other competing companies join the fold, target creatives. I would love to see Autodesk add functionality to the totems/Dials for Maya to allow…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Knitted Clothing

There should be a plug-in for creating knitted clothing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please add Modo's Rounded Edge Shader in Maya

For video games production we need in Maya, something similar to Modo's Rounded Edge Shader . This can make the hard surface modeling and baking so easy for us if implemented. Please check this video to understand what i mean:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZLITaAsS8
    Thank you!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please, please , please bring back Legacy and High quality viewports, not everyone used viewport 2.0, or like it!

Please, please , please bring back Legacy and High quality viewports, not everyone used viewport 2.0, or like it!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. shadow

It would be nice to be able to disable shadows in the viewfinder so I can more easily tell if I accidentally made bad geometry or if that's a shadow effect. An alternative would be to have the ability to change the color of the bad geometry.... like, red or blue for example... make it a user setting.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. copy and paste textures in attribute editor

there should be robust copy and pasting in attribute editor for materials in all levels of the hierarchy

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Procedural selection tool

A way of selecting polys or any other object or particle procedurally. for example like Max volume select or houdinis select by expression or by volume or like MASH falloff but for polys and particles

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. UV material notes

I am not sure if this has been posted and I am too drunk to see if it has already been proposed, but it would be cool if the UV editor had a note/comment system similar UE4's material editor. That way I can group things by material (as an example) and notate what material is to be assigned to each section. That way if I were to come back to a project later, or if I were to hand it off to someone else it would make it easier for them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 45 46
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base