Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Top menus

A visual differentiation between the seven menus in the top menu and the menus from the specific module. The seven menus never change so it would be nice to always visually see them differentiated from the menus that appear according to the module your in. It would help to keep the eye focused on the specific menus rather have to scan all the menus from left to right without any visual cue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Isolate Selected while keeping Image Plane Reference Visible

Maya should allow Isolate Selected while keeping Image Plane Reference Visible. Sometimes You need to isolate part of an intricate model but you still need your background reference visible, without having to select it every time or removing it from your "reference" display layer.

Maya needs this UX improvement.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Curve flow should default to nParticles rather than legacy.

It's a simple change in the core .mel file. At this point it should be part of the default or make it an option on the tool.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Render Setup Layers: Being able to instance Collections / Use Sets that automatically adds their members when part of a Collection

When you have a lot of Render Setup Layers it becomes tricky to keep track of all Collections and overrides. Being able to setup a single "RenderGeo" which can be instanced and have its changes apply to all render setup layers would improve render setup a lot.

This can either be achieved by having instanced Collections. Or having Sets include all their members when within a Collection(so you would just edit the membership of that Set instead of the collection itself).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Time Editor: Add Additive & Override features to Clips themselves, and not only for layers.

After testing the Time Editor in maya 2018, what appears missing is the ability for the Clips themselves to have the Additive and Override functionalities. (Unfortunately, only Layers associated with the Clips can be set to additive and override.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. duplicated animation layers should be editable

Create an object, with animation, and 2 animation layers, "BaseAnimation" and "Pulse"
    Edit > Duplicate Special (duplicate input graph checked ON)
    Object is duplicated with duplicated animation curves, as desired.

Animation layers are also duplicated and renamed, which may not be desirable.
    The duplicated animation layers are visible in the Relationship Editor and Hypergraph

The problem is, duplicated animation layers do not display in the Animation Layer Editor, and cannot be managed. Perhaps this is a bug.

These duplicated layers should either not be generated at all, leaving animation in the original layers, or if created, should behave normally, allowing…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make duplicate with transform work with clone instance / smart duplicate move feature in Maya 2018 (BUGFIX)

Make duplicate with transform work with clone instance / smart duplicate move feature in Maya 2018 (BUGFIX)

The Smart duplicate option is great, especially if I want to quickly instance something while modeling, it would be nice if I could then quickly create a linear array of say 5 objects by having duplicate with transform context sensitive to either copy or instance state of the initial.

This is a small user experience fix that would more cohesively integrate Maya 2018's modeling improvements.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Pointing zoom like max would be pretty handy in maya if introduced

Just as we we can zoom area with just the pionter places and scroll insude Autodesk Max same can be pretty much handy and useful in maya..Thank you

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Auto-sync user settings for multiple computers

Option to auto-sync user settings instead of having to manually update it via example Dropbox when working on different computers. Workspaces, Hotkey sets, Settings etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Turn Edge Like Max

Max has an edge turn for the invisible edge in a poly. Maya would benefit from this for low poly modeling. Instead of having to break my edge flow by adding a triangle.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Xgen Interactive Grooming Splines Features

Hello there!

I'd like to chime in about some IGS features that I think are badly missing but exist in core Xgen, especially when it comes to guides:

-Ability to create IGS descriptions based on guides, not the other way around, where you create a bunch of hair first and then have to create guides. I find that 100% of the time I delete most of the guides IGS gives me (since it's way too many) and make my own anyway. It would improve efficiency and save hours.

-Make IGS guides individually selectable in viewport and individually rebuild-able (like core…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hide Namespaces on Nodes

Maya desperately needs the ability to hide the namespace prefix on nodes. Let the system use namespaces to keep the code clean or whatever, but give us the ability to hide them.

This is most needed in the Hypergraph, where I often can't even see the actually name of the shader because it has a 27 character prefix due to namespaces.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. arrange ruler tool

this tool well help you to arrange object in the scene (look at pictures)
    and it can also work as measure distance tool

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. UV Layer Editor

uv layer editor is like maya or photoshop default layer editor but its only for uv so you can organize your uv in layers without click on every object in view port to show uv it can be handy if you have big scene with alot of object

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expand on the available snaps

As a bare minimum I would love to see a on key-press "snap to face" added.

It's extremely handy when you are designing something around multiple meshes with create polygon (like in hardsurface cases with robots with multiple parts) --- and is a big time saver even when you're only working with a single mesh too. It speeds up your workflow by not having to check and uncheck make live on that object every single time you're fixing a mesh topology, designing a new mesh over top, or simply helping yourself to quickly plop a new object in place all…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. maya 2017 & 2018 Blendshapes still kind of broken

Sometimes I will directly sculpt a blendshape with the new 2017&18 sculpt editor, and it will become greatly disfigured and not at all what I sculpted. Even changing input order around will not "unexplode" the blendshape.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. add -dut flag for textScrollList (-deselectUniqueTagItem)

the new(ish) "Unique tag" property for textScrollList is really useful but there doesn't seem to be a way to deselect an item based on the unique Tag. it needs one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Maya for many

Maya needs to have a non student free version for Indie start-ups, otherwise a huge pool of talent will be unharnessed, not everyone world wide has education access but would love to create, Maya seriously start thinking outside the box on this one, long term it's an investment in future creative minds.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. glTF support is needed for VR/AR industry

Those of us in the VR/AR industry are rapidly embracing the glTF 2.0 file format.

Sites like Sketchfab are embracing this format and it is gaining momentum.

However, right now, creating glTF assets is very difficult-- there are a few ways of converting existing formats but most of them are extremely cumbersome, require other software (Blender, for example), and are generally not very robust yet.

I will speak on behalf of us in the VR/AR industry in saying that we really need the support of companies like Autodesk to help us.

https://www.khronos.org/gltf

Seeing as Autodesk is listed as one of…

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 46 47
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base