Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. hexadecimal color picker

Just would be nice to have a hexadecimal color picker so it would be easy to copy and paste colours from photoshop etc... (rather than manually typing out RGB/HSV values individually)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hair Modeling Tool

How about a tool where you can create geometric volumes to procedurally groom hairstyles like Disney Animation's Tonic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RiyeoQboyI Watch at 1:10.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Operatable tools

It would be more of use if I could actually use all the features and not just limit myself to low modelling, just because the program requires high powered tool. its the same problem with the toy race- cars, high power consumption and then battery runs out in 10 minutes. and with this program I cant do any of the advance stuff such as; dynamics, hair and particle system. the program keeps freezing or crashing in the middle of the process. and even on the university's computers the ability's are very limited due to freezing up in the performance, and…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. AutoModeller imitator for Maya

There should be a tool for Maya similar to the AutoModeller Pro plugin for 3ds Max but with some differences. http://www.automodeller.com/
    1. Use of 2d patterns like a voronoi pattern
    2. Use of maps like density maps
    3. Use of boundary regions
    4. Use of flows.
    5. Parameters for generated meshes.
    Here are other references. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOfhcVSoJg Watch at 19:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCqtlS9FnBQ

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Integrate Crease Set Editor into Modeling Toolkit as roll out

Please integrate Crease Set Editor into Modeling Toolkit as roll out. That would save space on anyones screen and be a very conventient place in general. While you are at it overhaul the Crease system like in my other request. https://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/6572967-improve-crease-workflow-with-better-display-heatm

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Constant Crease Edge Tool Option & Smart Subdivision

It would be cool if it was possible to Crease Edges so that the round corner would be constant all the way instead of relative to the distance to the neighbouring edge. Please also invent an algorithm to turn Crease polygons into smart subdivided Polygons that only have as much subdivisions as necessary for full quality display. And allow for higher values than 4. The current crease system is ok but it feels old and needs some touching up.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add Subscription Sign-In support for Linux

Currently only Windows and macOS users have the ability to sign into their Autodesk account in order to activate their product. With the move to subscription and the end of distributing serials for activation this leaves freelance and home Linux users not using floating license servers in a bind. We can purchase a subscription, but have no way to activate our product without sign-in support!

Please add sign-in support for Linux, there is no reason a 'feature' as important as this should be left out of a distribution of a product.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve 3dPaint like mudbox

Improve 3dPaint like mudbox

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Standard modern physical shaders and lights

I have used Maya for since version 5 and im teaching Maya at college last 10 years.

For the long years, standard renderer changed 2 times(Maya software, mentalray, and now arnold), and many third party renderer can use on Maya nowadays.

mentalray was good integration, it works well on standard shader(phong, blinn) without any additional knowledge because it still rely on classical algorithm, except occasion using GI or physical shader.(mia, mil..etc)

now rendering algorithm get more developed and maya standard shader can not handle with it because those have not almost changed for 20 years.

So i think its time…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Constraint objects: View or select the object it's constraint to in the channel box.

Right now you have to go to the Node Editor to find out what an item is Constraint to. Even then, sometimes it's hard on the eyes to find what's it's connected to. In addition to the Node Editor, I would have the name of what the item is constraint to in the channel box. There's already attributes there under Shapes but it doesn't tell you what it's constraint to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Color Management: make it easier

It happens to me all the time that my final rendered sequences are different than my work renders (Arnold Render View) while working on the scene. And testing with abling/disabling the color management doesn't help.

There should be an easy way (a button, perhaps) to make sure that your final renders will have the exact same colors/contrast/saturation etc.than your work renders.

This is really frustrating, I'm losing days because of this. Maybe I'm just stupid, but i never had this sort of problems before color management was introduced into Maya. And still I was able to get my renders look…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Better wedge

Add more options like in the video.
    https://vimeo.com/219554324

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom icons for own popup menu

Hey,
    I think it would be great if you could add a system for adding custom icons to your own custom popup menu. You are currently using icon system in Maya menu so it would be great to have this option for your custom menu. I attached that in screen.

Thanks,
    Jakub

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cut/Copy/Paste components inside same object and between objects.

Right now Duplicate tool only duplicate faces to an entirely separate object, it's a long shot from a free modeling approach.
    There must be the ability to cut or copy faces, edges, or vertices while still inside a given object, or select another one and paste therein.
    What's so difficult here?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. please disable hot keys for workspace switching or fix lock button

Workspace will occasionally switch (I believe depending where you cursor is, I cannot pinpoint) to sculpting mode or animation mode when you hit S or A. Very annoying and destroys work productivity.

This is not definable in the hotkeys table.
    The lock button does not work.

Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Duplicate a shelf button

Please make a choice to be able to duplicate a shelf button with all the "Popup Menu Items" and "Double Click Command".

Check the attached picture. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hypershade - Faster Node Creation

The main problem with the Hypershade is that many of the things are very repedetive. Here are some suggestions to make it much faster to work with.

Tab Node creation:
    For example for creating a file node I would expect the behavior like this:

press[TAB]--> Type "fil"--> press[Enter] --> file node created

Right now the user has to push downArrow 3 times and couciously select a projection type, wich is very unintuitive. Better to put the mostly used type as autofill and leave the other two in the dropdown box below for manual selection.

Quick Insert:
    If you hit [TAB]…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Look at surface under mouse pointer

For various workflows it would be very helpful to have a hotkey that makes the camera look at the surface under the mouse pointer.

Example: I'm selecting faces on a polygon and need the camera to orbit around a specific small region to access some hidden components.

I made me a workaround to look at the component that has a pre-selection highlight (=is under the mouse pointer).

It works ok, but I'd like to have a more general possibility to query the surface point under the mouse.

{
    $sel = `ls -sl`;
    select -r `ls -preSelectHilite`;
    if (size(`ls -sl`)) { …

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 43 44
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base