Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. UV Layer Editor

uv layer editor is like maya or photoshop default layer editor but its only for uv so you can organize your uv in layers without click on every object in view port to show uv it can be handy if you have big scene with alot of object

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve 3dPaint like mudbox

Improve 3dPaint like mudbox

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. copy and paste textures in attribute editor

there should be robust copy and pasting in attribute editor for materials in all levels of the hierarchy

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. ramp gradient color pick

pick a range of colors from anywhere with continuous click and drag

it would be amazing, if Maya could sample any color in a user specified distance on for example a picture to populate ramp texture with color entries;

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Straighten UV Brush Tool for UV Editor

Hi,

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion better than a hundred of words.

Maya feedback program already has a bunch of requests for new UV Editing tools in Maya, with one of them being a Straighten UV functionality, as can be seen in this topics:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/5868505-straighten-uv-tool-like-the-one-in-roadkill

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/7246950-better-uv-tools

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/6438509-straighten-wavy-edges-tool-in-uv-editor

Straighten UV is a very handy and demanded feature that allows artists to improve their UVs for hard-surface objects, ultimately leading to less pixel aliasing on textures, easier texture painting and overall better texturing results. The task of straightening UVs can be found in another 3D…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Turtle

We need Turtle to care about the tangent space in he object (right Handed and Left Handed). The default Transfer maps baker considers that brilliantly when baking , but Turtle doesn't. If I have to bake a normal map for Direct X engine and not for Open GL I'm stuck, as Turtle can only flip the green channel. This flipping operation is a simple trouble causing one. Flipping cause artifacts on the seams, while baking with Left handed binormals, makes the normal seamless. Please consider this. We are having big problems in production now, that we work ina direct X…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Matrial Editor... HyperShade...

Change The hyperShade Workflow,Look and feel
    The way Hypershade Works, Change That Workflow

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. A modern Viewport 2.0 multi-purpose shader for pre-visualization.

I don't think DX11 shading is enough unfortunately. As a Maya user that works on OS X it is obviously not an option at all for me.

I believe it would be perfectly possible to create a dedicated and modern shader specifically for Viewport 2.0 to create quick but excellent looking approximations of a modern physically based shader used by many popular renderers today.

-Diffuse Color Input, Diffuse Amount
    -Reflection Color Input, Reflection Amount
    -Reflection Glossiness/Roughness
    -Reflection/Environment map (for doing fake real-time reflections, any image could be used or even procedurals like ramps, etc.)
    -Transparency (I would imagine real-time refraction…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make texture nodes savable as standalone files with texture files imbedded. Easy to use and share.

Stand alone texture nodes files,with any bump or image files imbedded. This would make it easy to exchange with other artist, and make it easy to purchase from websites such as turbosquid.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Curves like 3dsmax.

Falloff curves like 3dsmax. They are so beautiful and simple and intuitive and POWERFUL and fast to set up. #grantwarwick #control #whatgives?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Mentalray MILA material with normalmap workflow

how can MILA material not supporting normal map?
    its a workaround process by adding bump2d node to the bump slot
    please make it more efficient.
    thanks.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Pause Material Viewer rendering

The new material viewer in the Maya 2016 hypershade is great, but I don't want it updating all the time. I would like a pause/resume button to prevent CPU overhead when I don't need to see constant updates. I can close the panel and add it back in, but that's more of a pain.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make texture interactive placement tool work with polygons

Is it so dificult to make the interactive placement tool located in every place2d node work with polygons?.

Right now it just work with NURBS ONLY. I can spend many minutes trying to place my cropped texture in the right place. so this is important.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add a Material Shelf like in Mudbox for Maya 2016

Add a Material Shelf like in Mudbox for Maya 2016
    (since you already recently integrated the sculpting tools from mudbox as a shelf... what about those awesome material tools... as another separate shelf)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. bring back asset for hypershade

When creating asset for complex or simple shader and for some reason you decide to remove the asset, you end up with only the shader, all nodes like simpleInfo, multiplyDivide, etc.. are removed, even the files textures!
    So please bring back asset for hypershade!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Planetary Atmospheric Scattering (accurate)...

A shader solution for accurate planetary atmospheric scattering implemented by Sean O'Neil's in nVidia's GPU gems 2 chapter 16. For years I have tried every possible solution to do this without faking it which is not really acceptable for accuracy. I have converted shader after shader from glsl to cgfx only after finding the technique or some other function is not supported - the frustration that atmospheric scattering for planetary purposes can mostly only be found in game engines is daunting. I have even tried to implement atmospheric scattering in shaderfx and once again all functions required are not supported.…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Shader Assets which work how they should

Shader Assets, working how one might expect. By which I mean...

Can hide their internal nodes from Hypershade browsers
    Have a swatch
    Render in the Material Viewer
    Do not appear in the Outliner
    Can be assigned from the Hypershade like any other material
    Can be duplicated without errors
    Can be edited in the Node Editor
    Can be materials or textures
    Can be added to the global 'create node' list

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. multi -sub objects materials for face assignment

The 3dsmax multi-sub object shading system allows per face shading assignments in an organized way that wouldn't break renderlayers. Groups of faces on a single mesh get an ID. Then you have a master shader that specifies which sub-shader is applied to each of the IDs. This allows for safe use of face selections and the ability to reuse entire lookdev (for a whole car for example) just by defining the IDs on the new mesh.
    so powerful.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add UV tile support to the 3D paint tool

The 3D paint tool can only paint in u1 v1 and shells outside that region cannot be painted.
    Also, the smear and blur tools create artefact at shell borders, which is a nuisance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ramp Shader cripples most any scene file.

Trying to use a ramp shader on a shattered object in viewport 2.0 brings computer its knees. "Viewport 2.0 Processing" for probably 5 minutes before I can work.. then intermittently locks the scene up over and over again. Got rid of ramp shader all together and it worked smooth as silk. So, yeah that could probably be optimized or just deleted out of the create menu til it actually functions.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base