Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. OpenMayaMPx support in Python API 2.0

We have to create Python-based plugins using API 1.0 instead of faster API 2.0. Please add a way to create native API 2.0 Python plugins

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Query preferences framerate (currentUnit enhancement or API direct access)

Add direct access to preferences framerate through the Maya API or return only a float through "currentUnit -query -time" for convenience (a new parameter -asFloat is welcome).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. timeControl make range editable

For the MEL and Python the `timeControl -range` flag should be editable and not only queryable.

Any scripts querying the timeControl range, and modifying keyframes based on it, cannot programmatically update the highlighted range to reflect the change the script made.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Upgrade Maya Python to 3.x

When will Maya be upgraded to Python 3.x?

Legacy Python 2.7 is starting to cause us issues in our pipeline. PySide2 is the most recent headache but many other distributions are also an issue. Additionally I would also petition Autodesk to compile Maya Python using the same MSC as the standalone Python distribution. This also causes many a headache by preventing version dependent Python modules from being used in Maya without having to recompile them.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Improve Attribute Editor XML Template

As far as I can understand - currently if you want to set default view for node in attribute editor you have to do it with MEL in AE<nodeTypeName>Template.mel file and if you want to add another view you can do it with XML file. Why not consolidate everything to only XML file? Add option to write <view name='Default'> or something like that to overwrite default node view in attribute editor. If mel file is not detected, then use information from XML one.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Transparent script editor

to see what happens in scene when you're coding

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Query keypress in Mel/Python

The ability to query the current pressed keys beyond what the getModifiers command does would help a lot in creating more interactive tools with mel.
    Example:
    Create a polygon reduction tool that merges Target Weld, Delete Edge Loop and Collapse Edge Ring in one single tool. The switch would be done with modifier keys that can be queried when the click command is activated.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Improve scriptCtx MEL command with more mouse button clicks or modifiers keys

Improve scriptCtx or add a new mel command that allows usage of all mouse buttons and modifier keys to run multiple commands from the same tool.
    Example:
    Create a polygon reduction tool that merges Target Weld, Delete Edge Loop and Collapse Edge Ring in one single tool. The switch would be done with modifier keys that can be queried when the click command is activated.
    At the moment the tool is based on the selection context and I've tried using getModifier to run more commands in the same tool but I'm practically limited to SHIFT and CTRL+SHIFT since CTRL+Click will…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Is quaternion product wrong in Maya nodes?

Quaternion 1.4+0.03i+1.7j+0.45k multiplied by 2.1+0.31i+2.8j+1.15k is -2.347 + 1.192i + 7.595j + 2.112k (Wolfram and Wikipedia), but Maya nodes returns -2.347 - 0.198i + 7.385j + 2.998k.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Rendering expressions

Why Maya doesn't render expressions correctly? Like gears or tires of a car animated by expressions that always needed to be baked before get rendered.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Array types in MArgDatabase/MArgList

MArgDatabase is extremely limited in the argument types that can be parsed in a plug-in command. For example, it does not allow doubleArray, stringArray, matrix, etc.

MArgList enables custom parsing (as shown in the "skinClusterWeights" example in the devkit.) However, the flags will not work if the command is called from python.

Please allow us to parse array argument types in a way that is consistent between MEL and python calls - Either enable MArgDatabase to parse the same argument types as MArgList, or enable MArgList to work with python!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Give us a mel/python command that allows us to query the connections when we select the link/line that connects nodes in every node editor

Right now we can move those spaghetti links around, select them and delete them, but we can't query them through a command when selected?!

It would useful if one could select the links in a node editor or Hypergraph, query their connections and then run a script that will insert a node in between them automatically. It would be something reminiscent to the way nuke inserts a node when you hovering it over a link that is connecting two different nodes.

Right now to do this we have to list the nodes in question, query the attributes to see if…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Run installer insted of RPM

I understand that Developers for linux feel lost when users from different distributions ask for support!
    I have the solution. Instead of build a Red Hat Package, build a .run, it works for any Linux distribution, and another companies such as The Foundry, Nvidia had used this alternative, and please support Kernel 4, it will be the standart, even if kernel keeps evolving, it is the most stable in the recent years. You have QT, there is no limits now.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. maya deb packages for debian/ubuntu

the idea is to create installer , deb packages, for debian/ubuntu users.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Include numpy

Include the numpy library with Maya. It's a universal, standard library for Maya.

It's painful to write Python-only plugins in Maya that need to do nontrivial math. There's no other Python code to be found to do many things, since everyone just points to numpy. It contains native code, so it would make a mess of things if individual plugins included it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Create a node based script editor for visual scripting in Maya

It would be nice if Maya had some sort of visual scripting for artists. Something like blueprint in UE4 or XPresso in Cinema 4D.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. MRampAttribute array

Its still not possible to create ramp attributes as array attributes. So, please change that. So many people tried to find a way around that and in the end, its all just bad hacks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Integrate an updated script editor such as http://zurbrigg.com/charcoal-editor. Please!

Maya's editor is nice but has many limitations that can be "nuisance" like in production. Integrating a better suited script editor would help tremendously.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Save script in scene file

Taken from Houdini, the ability to save a script in the scene file.

My suggestion would be, to create a window similar to The Expression Editor, where you can define a name, for instance 'charSelect' and choose a language (or just Python).

The you can write code.

To run this, in Houdini you'd simply type hou.session.charSelect() in the command line.

I think a similar function would be awesome.
    Basically, saving a script within the scene file, in a similar fashion as expressions are currently, and being able to run that session code from the command line.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Slow mesh/component selection in viewport but fast selection in Outliner?

When polygon count is going high and i try to select something in the viewport, component or a mesh/object, it requires few seconds and more to react. Right mouse click to "call" marking menu becomes practically useless so i have shortcuts for component selections.

Now, i would understand if it's because my PC is a bit slower and on 1M+ everything is starting to slow down but then why when selecting objects in Outliner selection is almost instant!

On CGTalk forum there was some short discussion about it and some guys said:
    - "...think maya has to do a hit…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base