Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide a Pose Manager for Maya's Control Rig Like "Studio Library"

Hi,

Maya's FK/IK characterization tool for the Biped Characters is incredible. It seems like we can import any 3d model, map the bones, characterize it in Maya and create animations using the control rig attached to a character.

So, it would be ultra cool, if Maya provided a Poses Manager similar to "Studio Library." That way, we can create preset poses and apply to any character's control rig. A poses manager library will drastically speed up our animation workflow, and we won't have to keep creating similar animations for different characters or copy paste them from other projects, etc.

Since…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Time Editor: Add Additive & Override features to Clips themselves, and not only for layers.

After testing the Time Editor in maya 2018, what appears missing is the ability for the Clips themselves to have the Additive and Override functionalities. (Unfortunately, only Layers associated with the Clips can be set to additive and override.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. duplicated animation layers should be editable

Create an object, with animation, and 2 animation layers, "BaseAnimation" and "Pulse"
    Edit > Duplicate Special (duplicate input graph checked ON)
    Object is duplicated with duplicated animation curves, as desired.

Animation layers are also duplicated and renamed, which may not be desirable.
    The duplicated animation layers are visible in the Relationship Editor and Hypergraph

The problem is, duplicated animation layers do not display in the Animation Layer Editor, and cannot be managed. Perhaps this is a bug.

These duplicated layers should either not be generated at all, leaving animation in the original layers, or if created, should behave normally, allowing…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. edit soundtrack in trax

I would like to be able to edit the sound track in trax editor. Either as linked to an animation clip or unlinked..like it works in Premier pro for instance. Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add functionality to totem/Dial for animators in Maya

Dell and Microsoft have released interactive displays called the Dell Canvas and the Surface Studio with similar dial-shaped hardware called totems and Dials, respectively, for interacting with digital assets. As an animator, I'm looking to invest in a high quality display that does not cost what Cintiq is charging, therefore I am eyeing the Dell Canvas.

I imagine this tech will stick around in the industry for some time as both Dell and Microsoft, and potentially as other competing companies join the fold, target creatives. I would love to see Autodesk add functionality to the totems/Dials for Maya to allow…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Constraint objects: View or select the object it's constraint to in the channel box.

Right now you have to go to the Node Editor to find out what an item is Constraint to. Even then, sometimes it's hard on the eyes to find what's it's connected to. In addition to the Node Editor, I would have the name of what the item is constraint to in the channel box. There's already attributes there under Shapes but it doesn't tell you what it's constraint to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. A.R.T. for Unreal Engine with MayaLT

A.R.T. is a animation and rigging toolset for Unreal Engine and Maya.
    I hope the engineers can enable ART exluslivly for MayaLT as I think that would be a huge timesaver for animators and gamedevelopers, so they dont have to send the files manually, everytime they have changed a animation in MayaLT.

A.R.T. is also very easy to use, so a gamedeveloper which have no experience with animation, A.R.T. could be very handy, if the developer dont have a animator on the team.

As A.R.T. is meant for use in gamedeveloping, I dont see why it shoulndt be enabled for…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Shape Editor should have a "New target from current values" (duplicate and merge)

It would be helpful if the blendshape node had a new option "New Target from current" which evaluated the current total output for the blendshape and made a new target with those values.

Why?

When creating face morphs it is useful to create a set of base shapes and apply them in various amounts for the mouth shapes. In order to "bake" these shapes a set of duplicate and merge operations must be made with the dumber of duplicates matching the number of targets you use. This take a long time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. animation layer editor layer grouping

It recently happened to me that my animation layer count increased. When there are more than some some layers, some type of organisation is necessary. I would suggest a functionality where layers which belong to the same logic group can be added together and hidden under some sort of animation layer group node. Moreover, its currently not possible to make animation layers of referenced files be a child of another layer. This should be fixed, too.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Prevent Stepped Preview from affecting Set Driven Keys

As an animator I was really excited when I first discovered the Stepped Preview function in Maya - it's basically one single button to toggle inbetweens on an animation, and it's non-destructive on already modified animation curves!

I instantly bound it to a hotkey and decided to try it out in my animation workflow, hoping to replace the slightly involved process of setting default out tangents to stepped, converting all curves to stepped, and then back again when finished blocking.

It was great! I would switch to stepped preview when I began blocking, then with the tap of a hotkey…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Separate crease weights for each Blend Shape Target

Having unique edge weights in Blend Shape Targets would allow for creases to appear, for example, only in specific facial expressions. Currently it appears all Blend Shape Targets share the same crease weights, limiting their usefulness.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. space switch

Right now maya lacks built-in tools for easy and intuitive space-switching. In max there is Link Constraint, but in Maya we have to correct transformations when we change parents in parent constraint. With scripting or manually.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Trax to Time Editor

As mentioned in the title, we would like to have a way to import all Trax data into the new Time Editor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Bring over the bounding box selection/editing from Motionbuilders Fcurve editor

The Fcurve editor in Motionbuilder has one advantage over Maya, Max and every other 3d app. When you select multiple keys on curves in Motionbuilders Fcurve editor, you are given you a bounding box around your key selection.

This "bounding box" gives you the ability to quickly and or precisely manipulate keys. You can both enter numeric values into the boxes "corners" to adjust the curves with precision, or you can drag the box handles to make quick adjustments.

This functionality is one of the key reasons I still persist on using Motionbuilder.

Here is a link explaining what I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Human IK copy paste and Mirror posture, animation.

Make Human Ik more easy and quick for animators by adding simple and easy options for copy paste and mirroring posture and animation.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Xgen to reference image sequences to drive parameters

There's an extremely awkward method of using an image sequence to drive xgen parameters (involving ptexBake and baking a ptex map per frame based on the image sequence). It would be nice if there's an automatic way of doing this without having to use hacks. Maya could potentially have more Cinema4D mograph features if this was enabled.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Time Slider

Allowing coloring each key separately in the Time Slider + Add Marker in Time Slider

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow editing keyframe time-domain tangents

Maya only allows editing keyframe tangents in the spacial domain, eg. adjusting the shape of the curve. This is limited, and doesn't work for quaternion curves.

Support editing tangents (with weighting) in the time domain. This leaves the shape of the curve alone, and adjusts how quickly you move along it. After Effects supports this.

This has a lot of uses:

- It works for quaternions. Today there is very limited control over "easing" quaternion rotations (only slerp, cubic and "tangent dependent"). This would allow changing the easing of quaternion keyframes, making them more generally usable.
    - You can adjust…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Mirror Pose

Mirror pose -- copy and paste mirror pose for accelerate process of animation, walk cycles, etc..

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base