Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. CTRL+A to raise attribute editor over other windows

Hello,

Its been a huge annoyance in maya since a long time where if attributes editor is hidden below another window like hypershade, pressing hot key to raise it does not bring it over top of the window its currently under.

So a user has to move all his windows around to find where it exists.

It would be fantastic if this worked!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Top menus

A visual differentiation between the seven menus in the top menu and the menus from the specific module. The seven menus never change so it would be nice to always visually see them differentiated from the menus that appear according to the module your in. It would help to keep the eye focused on the specific menus rather have to scan all the menus from left to right without any visual cue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Subscription Sign-In support for Linux

Currently only Windows and macOS users have the ability to sign into their Autodesk account in order to activate their product. With the move to subscription and the end of distributing serials for activation this leaves freelance and home Linux users not using floating license servers in a bind. We can purchase a subscription, but have no way to activate our product without sign-in support!

Please add sign-in support for Linux, there is no reason a 'feature' as important as this should be left out of a distribution of a product.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pointing zoom like max would be pretty handy in maya if introduced

Just as we we can zoom area with just the pionter places and scroll insude Autodesk Max same can be pretty much handy and useful in maya..Thank you

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please Fix this UI Error

i have a multi monitor setup, maya is set on monitor nr 3 by default, but every time i open a new file, the open file panel and many other panels don't save the last position so i have to always find it in my first monitor :
    https://my.mixtape.moe/qgedlu.mp4 ; Please fix this, it is extremely annoying

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hide Namespaces on Nodes

Maya desperately needs the ability to hide the namespace prefix on nodes. Let the system use namespaces to keep the code clean or whatever, but give us the ability to hide them.

This is most needed in the Hypergraph, where I often can't even see the actually name of the shader because it has a 27 character prefix due to namespaces.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. arrange ruler tool

this tool well help you to arrange object in the scene (look at pictures)
    and it can also work as measure distance tool

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. hexadecimal color picker

Just would be nice to have a hexadecimal color picker so it would be easy to copy and paste colours from photoshop etc... (rather than manually typing out RGB/HSV values individually)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Please restore close button in maya attribute editor window

In maya 2016 and earlier attribute editor had a close button. This is removed from 2017-2018 versions. Please restore this button!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. UV material notes

I am not sure if this has been posted and I am too drunk to see if it has already been proposed, but it would be cool if the UV editor had a note/comment system similar UE4's material editor. That way I can group things by material (as an example) and notate what material is to be assigned to each section. That way if I were to come back to a project later, or if I were to hand it off to someone else it would make it easier for them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Highlight new group node automatically

When you group some objects, it would be nice if the name of the group was highlighted automatically so that you don't then have to double click on the group node in the Outliner to re-name it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Command box implementation

That would be great to implement your products (it would be awesome to find it in Maya too) by a floating interactive command line/context menu Blender or UE4 like, where you type a command or a tool name and it cames active. That would improve work speed a lot. And it would be universal, no matter for modeling, rigging, animation or else, you could find any tool or command just by strarting typing something

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Outliner v2.0

I think it's time for improving the Outliner.

Here is my ideas:

- Show/Hide object/objects (like Hide/Unhide).
    - Lock objects (Like reference).
    - New layer from selected objects.
    - Favorite: so you can then show only favorited objects (like Ctrl+1 in view port).
    - Sort by: Type, Name, Last created etc.
    - Colors the object/groups/etc in the outliner
    - Move object up/down in list.

Check the attached picture please.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. please disable hot keys for workspace switching or fix lock button

Workspace will occasionally switch (I believe depending where you cursor is, I cannot pinpoint) to sculpting mode or animation mode when you hit S or A. Very annoying and destroys work productivity.

This is not definable in the hotkeys table.
    The lock button does not work.

Thanks

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Hypershade - Faster Node Creation

The main problem with the Hypershade is that many of the things are very repedetive. Here are some suggestions to make it much faster to work with.

Tab Node creation:
    For example for creating a file node I would expect the behavior like this:

press[TAB]--> Type "fil"--> press[Enter] --> file node created

Right now the user has to push downArrow 3 times and couciously select a projection type, wich is very unintuitive. Better to put the mostly used type as autofill and leave the other two in the dropdown box below for manual selection.

Quick Insert:
    If you hit [TAB]…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. History List (Undo List)

It would be very useful to have a list of all the history steps (Undo's) so you can see visually what was your steps until now besides you can include camera history to the list as well.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Implement "grouping" in the Node Editor (like in Houdini, Softimage ICE, Fabric Engine Subgraphs)

Basically, we need a functionnlity similar to:
    - Houdini "Digital Assets"
    - Softimage ICE "Compounds"
    - Fabric Engine "SubGraphs"

We should be able to:
    - Group nodes by consolidating their inputs and outputs into one (implode)
    - Ungroup node (explode)
    - Register a group for future reuse (should be versionnable)
    - Change the used version for a registered group instance
    - Export/Import a registered group

This would greatly enhance the rigging/fx workflow and allow people to share their work on the internets.
    ex: https://vimeo.com/90308439

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Custom icons for own popup menu

Hey,
    I think it would be great if you could add a system for adding custom icons to your own custom popup menu. You are currently using icon system in Maya menu so it would be great to have this option for your custom menu. I attached that in screen.

Thanks,
    Jakub

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Duplicate a shelf button

Please make a choice to be able to duplicate a shelf button with all the "Popup Menu Items" and "Double Click Command".

Check the attached picture. Thanks

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Attribute Editor - clearer, smarter UI

Please overhaul Attribute Editor in similiar way as the new Hypershade.
    Good example: In the new Node graph of the Hypershade I can choose between
    - show me all available attributes
    - show me just connected attributes
    - show me only the most common used attributes
    This is something which the Attribute Editor is still missing.
    AND there are two more important things, that should be easy to see at a glance:
    - Where have been default values changed (display tab colored?)
    - Where are MEL expressions hidden? (and maybe I can get them displayed just by hoovering with the…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base