Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I want more control over what caches write out

I want to only writing out the data that needs to be written out.
    There needs to be the flexibility to be smart about what I need written out on a case by case bases, and also when it’s written out – ie. can we do most of it at render time.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Want to run geometry cache on multiple cores

Currently, the geometry caching process has to go through the frame range once for each character – why can’t this happen in parallel on multiple cores?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow users to apply nucleus to selected vertices (components) rather than the whole model

The wish I could select a some vertices and apply nucleus to those specific verts.

For example, I have a character which and I want to simulate skin giggle. I currently have to apply nCloth physics to the entire mesh and then paint out what I dont want to be dynamic.

Im not saying remove the ability from applying nCloth to whole objects but often times (at least as a user) I feel that a) I don't have to waste time excluding what I don't want to be dynamic and b) I kind feel like it will run faster if…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. A button to change language

I want to use English version, and I don't want to change my system location and env variable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. the maya ascii(.ma) file needs more structure

Ascii files are not ordering in a straight forward way, making automation harder. What if I only want to grab part of the code I need to link a set to a light. I only want to open a file if I have to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. thumbnails in the timeline, trax and sequencer

I want more visual representation of what's going on - you should do a screen grab and display it as a thumbnail in these editors to help me adjust timing

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. A button to lock node so it cannot be removed when deleting history

You can use MEL to lock some nodes so after you delete history, they remain.

It would be useful to be able to do this through Maya's UI instead of only through writing a MEL script.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. make the selection tools a flyout to save screen real estate

Maya has the select tool, the lasso and paint select all shown - why not make it a flyout menu like photoshop?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. nameSpaces should be applied simply by renaming a node IF nameshape has already been created

Currently, to assign a namespace to a node you have to either use scripting or use the nameSpace editor (which makes it a lot easier to use). However, if I've already created a nameSpace (myNameSpace:)... if I select a node and rename it (myNameSpace:myNode) instead of defaulting to "myNode" it should simply check if "myNameSpace:" exists and then allows it to be added to my node resulting in myNameSpace:myNode.

I would say that if the nameSpace DOES not exist then the name will will not automatically accept the nameSpace...

I think this would really help users keep their scenes organized…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. HIK active character should update based on selection in scene

It would be cool if Maya's HIK character controls would automatically update what the active character is when you select an element of that character in the scene.

This would prevent users from changing reach TR settings on character B when they are posing character A in the scene.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Namespace changes in Namespace editor should reflect in hypershade

This is annoying... lets say you make a name space change using the nameSpace editor and this namespace is associated to a node which is in the hypershade. Everything appears great in most places like the AE but not in the hypershade. Its as if the hypeshade hasn't refreshed the name of the node's name space. Note the change does take effect once you reload the scene.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. A simple way to deal with round edge effect

A simple way to deal with round edge effect (this is a very cool system but it's a pain to use). You should consider the way Vray has deal with it. It's a simple shader attribute you can enable:http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/shading_engine_extr_attrib.htm#RoundEdge

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. multi thread the Autosave feature

So that it can save in the background.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Let us still use the minimize, maximize icons when turning off Title bar

When turning off the title bar, there is no way to minimize the software anymore. In production as artists many times we need the vertical space too. The title bar it's a total waste of space. Being able to get rid of the title bar it's cool, but once you've done that maya it's stuck on the monitor with no way to minimize it anymore, as windows refuse to do it without the bar. Please let the minimize , maximize icons still survive in the upper corner without the title bar on, something like Photoshop does it. Thanks

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Append

This tool has issues doing multiple appends

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Universal manipulator needs to work on custom axis

Universal manipulator needs to work on custom axis

0 votes
    Vote