Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Snap Together Tool

The Snap Together Tool could benefit from a "reverse first normal option". This would allow the first object to be snapped to the second object by using a reversed normal not the regular alignment. This will make the tool behave like a point to point snap tool with the addition of keeping normals parallel. This can be done by having the user hold Shift or another key while clicking one or both of the objects to register the normal as reversed.
    On a more general note, if you'd like to have the ability to query key presses when creating your…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Incorrect Icons.

NOTE: Re-Submitted due to changes.

- In the Create Menu: the Construction Plane, Free Image Plane and Locator menu items have incorrect or missing icons. The proper ones can be seen in the Outliner, when each item is created.

- On the Default Polygons shelf, the Merge command has incorrect icon. The proper one can be found in the Modeling Menu Set > Edit Mesh > Merge. (I personally think the one on the shelf looks a bit like the Target Weld Tool's icon, and does not seem as intuitive as the Menu one, so I really hope it will…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. polyColorMod is broken and now instantly "darkens" your colorSet when applied.

polyColorMod is broken and now instantly "darkens" your colorSet when applied.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hotkey mentions missing.

- The Frame All command lacks its hotkey mention (that's supposed to be written to the right of each menu item) in: the Viewport's, the Hypershade's, the UV Editor's and the Node Editor's View menus. It also doesn't appear anywhere on the Hotkey Editor (Windows > Settings/Preferences > Hotkey Editor) as a command, as if it doesn't exist.

- The Frame Selected command lacks its hotkey mention in the Hypershade's View menu.

- Same for the Show Manipulator Tool, in Modify > Transformation Tools > Show Manipulator Tool.

Hotkey mentions are also missing from several UI buttons, which would serve…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The Create Joints tool doesn't work as expected when Shift+LMB is used.

While Shift+LMB allows the creation of joints in a straight line, if I happen to delete a joint or remove the last one that was placed with Undo, the next joint created doesn't align properly. It gets "locked" on a wrong axis (instead of the obvious vertical or horizontal one, according to the previous joint's position and the mouse click).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Plane Handles don't snap properly.

If I create an object and I try to snap it to a grid point or a vertex, ONLY on two of each axis, using for example the X & Y Plane Handle, it snaps as if I've used the middle handle, moving the object on all three axis.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. MAYA 2017 shelf icons are being drawn at different sizes

This looks really unprofessional. Have a look at the attached screen grab and the tiny hypershade icon

Please can we have them displayed at consistent sizes

cheers!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Option to revert to old style colour icons

The new flat colour icons are a step back for usability.

You cannot quickly look at a row of icons and understand their function. I now have to label all my icons to understand what they do

The old colourful icons whilst not being on trend helped Maya workflow. The new ones hinder it.

Can we have the option to revert to old colourful icons please?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Auto save in Student Edition - Popup

When you're running the Student Edition and have autosave turned on, you get a dialog to confirm that this is a file created by the student-edition, to not use it commercially, etc.
    The problem is that this dialog seems to appear on the most recently used display (?); which means that if I have say a video running on screen 2 and Maya on screen 1, but I'm not watching screen 2, then said dialog blocks Maya and I have no idea why, until by chance I glance over to my 2nd monitor. I've spend several minutes, many times, thinking…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Crash at bevel in Component mode

Consider I have 4 boxes. In component mode I select all edges and apply bevel. It shows the option box and maya is stuck there. I can't do anything.

Maybe I am doing it wrong. Shouldn't do it in component mode rather do it in object mode. One at a time.
    Just wanted to note that this occurred to me.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Isolation mode needs to auto-include things created afterwards

When entering isolation mode in a complex scene I often want to create or add another detail or draw a curve without an obstructed view. Sadly isolation mode keeps the newly created assets invisible which defeats the purpose in this specific case. It would be much more useful if the feature would automatically include newly created objects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Well animating if you make a change then play the animation undoing can take up to 100+ undos to fix.

For example, if I delete some keys in the graph editor, then proceed to playback my animation to see if I like the changes or not. If I try to undo what I just did. I have to undo as many times as there were frames played it seems like, the more I watch my animation the more i have to undo.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. uvs appearance disappear in uv editor 2017 the uvs still exist but they cant be seen

the uvs still exist but they cant be seen unless maya is closed and opened again. in maya 2017

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Arnold RenderView - persistent checkboxes in Window -> Toolbar Icons

Make the checkboxes persistent, and/or offer the option to do that.
    Saving it somewhere in the current workspace would be best, I guess.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Poly to Subdiv conversion utterly broken in 2017

How to replicate. 1 Create any polygon primitive. 2 Scale it a little and move it away from its original position. 3 Hit poly to subdiv and watch the craziness. I tested it on two totally different machines on two different OS. The more complex the model the weirder the result

Autodesk fix this and while you are at it: please, make it finally keep hard corners.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Maya 2016 E 2 extrude Thickness spikes issue

We still have the same annoying bug with spikes appearing while extruding and using Thickness. The algorithm is not perfect yet, it fails with more complex meshes . If i use the extrude manipulator though, the results are good, only tweaking the Thickness attribute gives bad results.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ubuntu/Debian support

More popular than redhat/centos.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Better automatic camera-based selection

Automatic camera-based selection that turns on and off dependant on the component type, instead of just between x-ray views.

Currently working with geometry that has backfaces, (I.e Interiors)
    is a huge pain, because you can't select objects within that object unless the option is enabled, but then when it's enabled you can't select components that are occluded by the camera or some other object.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Maya 2017 : Attribute Editor doesn't be shown up over the other multiple piled windows in Maya 2017.

Symptom :

"Attribute Editor" window is used to be shown up/displayed over the other multiple piled windows even after by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute Editor".

However, from Maya 2017, I can't bring up/display the "Attribute Editor" window over the other mpltiple piled windows.

When I work on Maya2017 with other displayed windows(Hypergraph, hypershade, graph editor and so on.) over "Attribute Editor", and trying to call "Attribute Editor" by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Layout UV ignores pinned UVs

When I use the Layout UV command, it disregards the pinned state of any UVs and will move them around. It would be very useful if Layout UV respected the pinned state of the UVs and arranged the unpinned UVs in the remaining open areas of the UV map.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base