Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Forgets Values after Piping in and out something in Node Editor

How ot works right now:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0 automaticly

How it should be:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0.4 as it was set previosly

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Code bug? 2017 mayaMixin dockable parent check appears broken

Line 289 in maya.app.general.mayaMixin (script for integration of Qt interfaces into Maya) has a check "self.parent() == omui.MQtUtil.mainWindow()" which fails because self.parent() gives a PySide2.QtWidgets.QMainWindow object and omui.MQtUtil.mainWindow() returns a pointer/"Swig Object of type 'QWidget *'", even if they refer to/wrap the same c++ Qt object.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Group Sets to clean the Outliner

When importing files with many sets there will be a loooong list of sets in the Outliner.
    There is no way to group these sets to the objects they belong.

Please provide a way to group the sets or an easier way to filter the outliner.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Viewport 2.0 Transparency is not working in "Object Sorting" when "diff" & "trans" channels for jpg seq are interactive cached . It's BLACK.

Viewport 2.0 Transparency is not working in "Object Sorting" when "diff" & "trans" channels for jpg seq are interactive cached . It's BLACK.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Merge faces to center" changes component selection to vertex

As described, the component selection changes from face to vertex, is this intended? I can't see a benefit from this, if i wanted to select another face and repeat last i would have to change the component type every time.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Graph Editor: View Menu Settings not saved in Prefs

The settings of the "View" menu in the Graph Editor are not saved in the prefs of Maya 2017.
    It would be great if settings like "Infinity" would stay the same between sessions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I have on single small tweak request

Please fire the guys responsible for this UI. For all your UI UX - if possible.
    You're finally too tired with Transfer maps getting closed when you open Smooth Options windowm with all you slot assignments lost.
    You try to use Help-Speak back-Report a problem - but their server is down.
    You're a licensed user, you have the main Autodesk ID, you start searching big read button "Fix this crap pls" but such buttons are beyound Autodesk's UI UX concept.
    Finally, you find a subpage of a subpage of some page you're even not sure if it's still the same…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. MAYA UI takes up too much screen,Hopefully the design can be smaller.Users can also customize the UI size. Thank you!

MAYA UI takes up too much screen,Hopefully the design can be smaller.Users can also customize the UI size.
    Thank you!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Maya does not save changes to default workspaces window positions

Currently windows positions for a default workspace are not saved when quitting Maya.

It´s disheartening to come back to Maya and see the editors windows open at their default (inconvenient) positions/sizes).

Thanks for listening.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Change symmetry in right-click menu back to list of Axis(+-)

The now standard options box after using ''mirror'' is very cluttered - addressing problems that should eliminate by proper setup anyway ( merging ) - and it is very unresponsive. Choosing from a list of Axes +- was a perfect and quick solution. The options are nice, but shouldn't be that high priority

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Normal Maps not showing correct in Viewport 2.0

Why doesn´t Maya show normals correctly in Viewport 2.0 since Maya 2016?

I´ve found a workaround but this isn´t the way it should work.

I have to type "ogs -reset" in the command line every time i start maya AND i have to set the normal map to "raw" instead of "sRGB".

This wasn´t the case in 2015 and all Versions i used before. But since 2016 i have to repeat this steps every single time i restart maya.

Could you please test things before you release them to us developers? We are paying too much money for this and…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Maya 2017: Cannot snap to Local Rotation Axes gizmo anymore

Point snapping objects to an LRA-gizmo (Local Rotation Axes) doesn't work anymore. Worked just fine in the previous Maya versions and for rigging this is quite essential so it would be nice to have it fixed. Thank you!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Create an searchable Error list for Backburner, with fixes, for the Autodesk Maya help website.

I use backburner on a weekly basis for rendering, as I'm sure most people know, it likes to kick up errors on a frequent basis. Not anywhere on the Autodesk website is a simple list of all the error codes with their relative fixes. Something like this would really help! Any chance it could be implemented?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Remove the "Active stereo does not work with Aero enabled. Active stereo has been disabled"

Just error when someone tries to switch to a stereo view. The average user doesn't need this functionality and doesn't need a warning every time Maya is started.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. bridge between sides with symmetry on

Bridging between two sides of a model with mirror symmetry doesn't work. If one face or edge, or edge loop of a hole is selected, Maya should know that you are bridging between sides.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bridge should work with un-equal edge number as well

The current bridge command has not enough options. Please add an option so we will be able to quickly bridge un-equal border edges. This could be fast and helpful for any modeller. The actual BonusTools>Modeling>Connect Border Edges is able to do that, but it's creating a new object and require extra steps to combine it and merge the vertices with the original object. Max is able to do that on the flow, Maya not. I attached 2 images as for example:

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fix StingrayPBS Shader - Material Var - Vector2 (Disabled) due to Intel HD Graphics tested on Surface Pro series

Tested on Surface Pro 2, Pro 3, Pro 4:
    StingrayPBS -> Material Variable -> Vector2 (Disabled)

Tested on Aftershock laptop (NVIDIA GTX 980 card)and HP Workstation (Quadro card):
    StingrayPBS -> Material Variable -> Vector2 (Enabled)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Maya 2017: Improvements to LOD creation and management

I've been using the LOD creation inside Maya 2016, now 2017 for some time now and I find I am constantly fighting against it. Here, in no particular order, are some suggestions to improve the user experience and workflow of the LOD tools.

- A tool to control/edit all LODs within a scene. This will enable us to tweak LOD distance across the scene or to turn all LOD# on/off rather than per asset for example.

- When we have multiple LODs within a LOD group and then use the Ungroup action, it renames the first LOD asset. Not particularly…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base