Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Isolation mode needs to auto-include things created afterwards

When entering isolation mode in a complex scene I often want to create or add another detail or draw a curve without an obstructed view. Sadly isolation mode keeps the newly created assets invisible which defeats the purpose in this specific case. It would be much more useful if the feature would automatically include newly created objects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Well animating if you make a change then play the animation undoing can take up to 100+ undos to fix.

For example, if I delete some keys in the graph editor, then proceed to playback my animation to see if I like the changes or not. If I try to undo what I just did. I have to undo as many times as there were frames played it seems like, the more I watch my animation the more i have to undo.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. uvs appearance disappear in uv editor 2017 the uvs still exist but they cant be seen

the uvs still exist but they cant be seen unless maya is closed and opened again. in maya 2017

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Maya 2017 : No need for the multiple Outliner windows in Maya 2017.

Symptom :
    "Outliner" is used to be appeared/displayed, just "ONLY ONE Outliner" window, by pressing the "Outliner" button in "Window" on menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Outliner".

But, from Maya2017, "Outliner" is appeared/displayed over one "Outliner" after pressing the "Outliner" button in "Window" on menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Outliner".

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Arnold RenderView - persistent checkboxes in Window -> Toolbar Icons

Make the checkboxes persistent, and/or offer the option to do that.
    Saving it somewhere in the current workspace would be best, I guess.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Poly to Subdiv conversion utterly broken in 2017

How to replicate. 1 Create any polygon primitive. 2 Scale it a little and move it away from its original position. 3 Hit poly to subdiv and watch the craziness. I tested it on two totally different machines on two different OS. The more complex the model the weirder the result

Autodesk fix this and while you are at it: please, make it finally keep hard corners.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Maya 2016 E 2 extrude Thickness spikes issue

We still have the same annoying bug with spikes appearing while extruding and using Thickness. The algorithm is not perfect yet, it fails with more complex meshes . If i use the extrude manipulator though, the results are good, only tweaking the Thickness attribute gives bad results.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ubuntu/Debian support

More popular than redhat/centos.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better automatic camera-based selection

Automatic camera-based selection that turns on and off dependant on the component type, instead of just between x-ray views.

Currently working with geometry that has backfaces, (I.e Interiors)
    is a huge pain, because you can't select objects within that object unless the option is enabled, but then when it's enabled you can't select components that are occluded by the camera or some other object.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Maya 2017 : Attribute Editor doesn't be shown up over the other multiple piled windows in Maya 2017.

Symptom :

"Attribute Editor" window is used to be shown up/displayed over the other multiple piled windows even after by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute Editor".

However, from Maya 2017, I can't bring up/display the "Attribute Editor" window over the other mpltiple piled windows.

When I work on Maya2017 with other displayed windows(Hypergraph, hypershade, graph editor and so on.) over "Attribute Editor", and trying to call "Attribute Editor" by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Layout UV ignores pinned UVs

When I use the Layout UV command, it disregards the pinned state of any UVs and will move them around. It would be very useful if Layout UV respected the pinned state of the UVs and arranged the unpinned UVs in the remaining open areas of the UV map.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a filePath argument to ogsRender

ogsRender is a very cool command to have custom scripted playblast but you need to have a proper project setted as you can't explicitly set a file path to write rendered frame on.

Please add a filePath argument to ogsRender command to override the file path and let the developper manage where frames are stored:

maya.cmds.ogsRender(filePath="/path/to/file.001.png')

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Custom pivot turn off by user and not automatically after deselection

The custom pivot turns off after i deselect my vertex,edge,face. This should be a user that turns it off when he is done. I always need my custom pivot active for multi select. Right now i always have to turn it my on every time i select something new.

thanks have a good day

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Show custom workspace file rules in file dialog project panel

Custom file rules (added to a workspace.mel file or in the Project Window) do not show up in the "Current Project" panel in the lower left of the file dialog. Perhaps this intentional or is there some way I'm missing on how to make them show up? Our project structures are mostly custom, it would be great to have these file rules show up in the file dialog

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Making people vote for "small annyoing things" is a public relation strategy, and it pisses me off.

Bugs and "small annoying things" are things that should have been sorted out by your quality control.
    Making people vote for "small annyoing things" is a public relation strategy, and it pisses me off.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. hotbox 'show pane specific menus' bug

On Maya startup even though I have set a preference to hide all menus in the hotbox AND show pane specific menus - it always shows the animation menus PLUS the ones I'm interested in

so if I'm in the modelling menu set the hotbox should only show the modelling menus BUT it shows the animation entries as well

please see attached screengrab

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. a more stable UV Unfold is required

UV Unfold is very unstable! even the history is deleted.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Symmetry still doesn't work with all tools

"to edge ring and split" for example, doesn't work with symmetry.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Render-layers

The way the render-layers are rendering out the frames can be a problem if needed to start a broken batch/sequence render.

As the system is rendering out the whole render-layer sequence (the first one) before moving to the next frame.

An option to change this so all render-layers will be render out on each frame before moving to the next frame.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base