Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Box sliders instead of Horizontal bars sliders | they make panels too wide

while they are a nice visual elements in such complex interfaces like Maya they are redundant and take too much real estate in an UI which is already crowded.

Simple box value with sliders like Max will basically cut by half the width of the panels and will allow several panels side with plenty of viewport space.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Camera far and near clip to all cameras at once

I would like to have the ability to change the near and far clip of all cameras at once. Maybe you guys can add a checkbox applying to all cameras. It is anoying once you have to do several times a day and sometimes a week changing the near and far clip of all cameras over and over again.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. It doesn't highlight UV-borders in 3Dviewport in MAYA 2017 SP3!

it doesn't highlight UV-shell-borders in 3D-viewport like all the previous versions of MAYA!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the report. We changed the way in which this feature works in Maya, in the Update 3 release, in order to extend the Texture Border Display feature a bit further.

In previous versions, yes, if you enabled texture border display in the UV Editor, the 3D viewport display would also reflect that change – texture borders would be enabled everywhere.

In Update 3, I wanted to enable texture border display by default in the UV Editor view (without doing so in the 3D viewport), plus give users control over the color and thickness of texture borders – all exclusively within the UV Editor (without affecting the texture border display setting in the 3D viewport). So that’s essentially why when you enable texture borders in the UV Editor, the 3D viewport doesn’t get affected – they’re now unique settings for each viewport (and to clarify further, the UV Editor…

4. The position change in Marking menus is really annoying!

almost all the UV tools in its marking menu changed, and it's really annoying when you used to use marking menu for many years!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Debug Shading Dropdown too short in Arnold Render View

In the Arnold Render View, make the Debug-Shading-dropdown (the one you can optionally enable to be displayed in the View-menu) long enough to incorporate all options. For me, the dropdown is just long enough so that the last option, Isolate Selected, isn't visible anymore and I have to scroll each time to select it, and scroll up again to go back to Shading.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Xray mode in Viewport 2.0 not working with arnold shaders

I really wonder, why Arnold shaders are not displayed correctly when I activate Xray in viewport 2.0? (Maya 2017 SP3)
    Example: maya lambert shows up xrayed in viewport, but not the Arnold aiStandard shader.
    Hope you will fix this, thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Display an error indicator when the command line is hidden

When the command line is hidden (like with several workspace layouts) the user gets no notification about errors.

There should be another error indicator (like a red dot/button) that would also open the Script Editor.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Maya 2017: Can't type in decimal numbers in Attribute Editor

We have three guys at our studio that have all started using Maya 2017 and none of us can enter decimal numbers in the Attribute Editor.
    I've deleted the Maya preference file, but it did not help.
    Please fix it.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Retain the set Color Space of File nodes when reloading or repathing textures

It's getting really annoying to be needing to set the color space every time a texture is updated, by either reloading or setting a new path for a file.

When using normal maps I need the Color Space to be set to Raw, I set this when I create the node but every time I update the file nodes it gets set back to sRGB (which can be regularly when tweaking stuff in ZBrush then transferring the files to Maya).

Can this be fixed asap please?

Thanks

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Shortcut Hotkeys for Center Pivot and Freeze Transformations.

Very useful shortcuts for them could be key combinations that can quickly be used after the Delete History command (Alt+Shift+D), like:

Alt+Shift+(a letter key)

The letter key can either be one close to the D key, or one that can intuitively be associated with the respective command, like C or P and F or T.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. File browser inside Maya, Thumbnail generation

When you choose an image-file, e.g. for a file-node to use it for lighting, or for an imageplane.
    You click the file and depending on size it takes a while for the preview in the file-browser to show up.
    If you don't need this preview and you know it is _this_ file you want, and immediately click/doubleclick on this file, to choose it, this doubleclick won't "pass" (and do what it should) unless it already has a thumbnail.

So my point is: doubleclick on a file should, with or without a thumbnail, choose this file, not activate the thumbnail-generation-process, like…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hypershade - Consistency with Property / attribute editors

Hypershade - So many things..Work area and consistency with attribute / property editors

Have nodes in the work area have consistent labeling with the property and attribute editors. Make other input/outputs clearer.

Add the buttons to crawl inputs/ outputs from the attribute editor to the hypershade based property editor (see image). I shouldn't have to click around in the work area graph or use the attribute editor in the main window to crawl through nodes.

Have a button to make ALL (nor just the selected node's thumbnail) enlarge by default in the work area.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bend Deformer needs update to be as accurate as the one in Max

Bend Deformer needs to be like the one in Max. Right now its almost useless for accurate modelling. The feature set and ux of the Max version would be enough. Please integrate into Maya!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Color and icon style of constraints is confusing

The color and look of constraint icons is so similar to joints that it sometimes become nearly impossible not to miss one or the other. As a rigger if I just want to select joints Its hard to pick and choose in a cluster of icons which look the same.
    PS: I understand I can do select by type in the outliner but fixing this would really help me and many new riggers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make all nodes visible in Hypershade

There is no good reason I can see for not letting us see all nodes in the Hypershade. I frequently attach shading nodes to rig controls etc and it is really confusing when they don't show up. There isn't even a switch to allow this. There is a switch in the Node editor to view shading nodes, but I really don't see why it isn't on by default. Since when did id make things easier when stuff is hidden from view?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. depth map shadows are broken on Nhair.

using a multiple spotlight setup with Nhair. It looks like only 1 lights depth map shadow will get used, so the hair will be mostly in shadow and will not recieve any light/shadows from the other lights.
    also ambient light no longer work on Nhair (2016 and 2017)
    (non photorealistic rendering with maya software renderer)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Insert Separator to Shelf Editor

In Maya 2017, there are new "separator" items in the default shelves (Curves / Surfaces, Polygons, Sculpting, Rigging, etc.). Turns out, in the MEL files of the shelves, the snippet of code is quite small. However - this is quite annoying to edit the MEL file for the shelf in order to get separators to appear.

It would be ideal to create a new button in the Shelf Editor, next to "New Item", and call it "New Separator".

Icing on the cake would be to then reveal the parameters that the separator contains:
    - width
    - height
    - horizontal

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base