Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Render-layers

The way the render-layers are rendering out the frames can be a problem if needed to start a broken batch/sequence render.

As the system is rendering out the whole render-layer sequence (the first one) before moving to the next frame.

An option to change this so all render-layers will be render out on each frame before moving to the next frame.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto Key rotation is buggy in LT2017.

II have created a Quick Rig Character, and have encountered problems when keying rotation values with Auto Key On. Rotations are not being properly interpolated with previous or following keys. The animation curves look fine in the editor, but the playback is moving from one pose to another in a single frame with no interpolation visible. The solution is to 1. Restart Maya or 2. Delete the Autokeyed Key and turn off AutoKeying function. 3 Manually set the key.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow automatic underscoring of spaces in the Rename box.

When renaming items in the outliner Maya automatically puts underscores where there are spaces. Can Autodesk please make this happen in the "Rename Selected Objects" box in the top shelf of the UI?

There's been thousands of times when I've forgotten to underscrore the space in the names of my objects and I just get the following error:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/statusLine.mel line 1978: "Example name" is not a valid name. Enter a name that begins with a letter or underscore and is followed by letters, digits or underscores.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. problem with timeline in maya 2015

everytime I touch the timeline maya deselect everything i've selected before and it's very annoing when I need to animate something...how can i solve this bug? it appears only in some scene but i can't find the problem...i've optimized the scene and solved all the script editor error...i'm going crazy

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Shift + RMB marking menu for curves and surfaces could finally use some updating

The context sensitive shift + rmb marking menu basically doesn't do anything for curves and surfaces. It should be very simple for the UX team to improve on this. Its such a no brainer on the fingertips of every Maya user and it gets shamefully ignored since forever and leaves gaping holes in the UX. Its high time to follow through with the UX concept in all areas, please

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Combine/Separate/Extract/Duplicate destroy Material assignments in 2017

If you have a mesh with multiple material assignments (very common in games industry...almost every model in our case) and use the combine/separate/extract/duplicate operations then all the material assignments get completely broken. This renders 2017 pretty much unusable for us as those tools are used quite frequently....even if they are only used once it means all the materials have to be re-assigned. This is ridiculous. These tools worked completely fine in previous versions and are now essentally model destroyers

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Marking Menus persist after releasing RMB click.

I would like to make them appear after a single RMB click (+- other modifying keys).
    I don't like the current way to hold the RMB because it's not ergonomic to keep pressing or accidentally release on the wrong command.
    I basically just want to release the mouse and still have the menu, which doesn't disappear until I click again either on a command or outside, that's it.
    Would be very helpful to make it an option at least for the RMB marking menus, thanks.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Maya 2017 : Attribute Editor doesn't be shown up over the other multiple piled windows in Maya 2017.

Symptom :

"Attribute Editor" window is used to be shown up/displayed over the other multiple piled windows even after by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute Editor".

However, from Maya 2017, I can't bring up/display the "Attribute Editor" window over the other mpltiple piled windows.

When I work on Maya2017 with other displayed windows(Hypergraph, hypershade, graph editor and so on.) over "Attribute Editor", and trying to call "Attribute Editor" by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Arnold - Needs to play nice with Map based opacity/ incandescence

Arnold seems to care very little for the maps we use in our shaders.
    I'd like to see it A. CONSISTENTLY work, B. ACKNOWLEDGE all the map based attributes, and C. not have ridiculous redundancies such as marking a an object opaque, when I've already placed a map driving transparency in it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Highlight What's New green text to support highlighting more than 1 prior version of maya

Right now the "Highlight what's new" option only highlights commands that are new in the latest version of maya in comparison to the previous version. For people that skip over a couple versions of maya, it would be handy to have a slider in the preferences to choose how far back the highlighted green text should go.

So if you are coming from maya 2015 and going to 2017, you can see all the new updated tools that were included in 2016 and 2016ext2.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. FWN "face weighted normals" still not 100% perfect

Maya use now fwn but still not 100%
    as you see in the picture:
    the left one Maya and you can see still a little curve and not 100% straight so I hope you guys fix it.
    the right one using the script

thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Arnold transparent material should also be transparent in the View port.

Arnold transparent materials are opaque in the Viewport 2.0.
    Better if it was translated in to the Viewport to a transparent visualization too.
    Would be good if all material is represented as close to the Soft Ware render as possible. Arnold SSS to Viewport 2.0 SSS for example.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Keep corners when converting Polygon to Subdiv options

Converting polygon models to Nurbs is a royal pain because there is no option to keep hard corners when going to Subdiv as a necessary step to Nurbs. The only way to work around is to manually insert edges close to those areas that will otherwise be rounded / interpolated by the process and to the nature of things it will never be perfect as well. Please add the option box for this its very annoying to have to do this manually
    For example a rectangular poly plane (with no divisions) converted to Subdiv will be a circle. A few…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tools for surface modelling are in an embarrassingly bad shape (buggy, crashing not reliable)

Nurbs suface modeling is in terrible shape right now. Simple operations like blend, trim, extend etc are horribly outdated, not working half of the time or instantly crashing maya. Seriously, that stuff is so basic and yet not working reliably if its working at all. What is going on? How is that that so many features can't even reliably make operations that were possible 30 years ago? Why? Please dont point me to Fusion 360 as no IT in any company will ever instal it anywhere. I'm not asking for much, just the most basic functionality to just work.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make editors and dialog boxes pop to the top of the stack when they are called

Make editors and dialog boxes pop to the top of the stack when they are called

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multi cut tool - tweekable planar manipulators have been removed

The mutli cut tool
    Can we have the manipulator back for planar face selection cuts please.
    - The Maya 2016 Multi cut doesnt allow the ability to tweek the manipulator when planar cutting "a selection of faces". Such a shame as this was a powerful function. In our studio it was very useful to snap the manipulator to verts within the scene etc rotate etc from a specific component, before finally cutting the array of faces.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Arnold Opacity maya 2017

Can the need for setting opacity on both geometry and shader be removed? Its really frustrating
    If not, at least can the arnold opacity flag on the shape node be made visible in the attribute spread sheet so it can be set en mass?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base