Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. objects hidden should not affect scene performance

MASH objects can sometimes slow down the scene to a crawl, if I hide it, the scene should respond faster, but I feel like it's still calculating things not seen.
    I guess the same would go for complex rigs

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. XSI-like cog control

in XSI if you selected several objects, the transform handle could be set to COG, which would let you rotate all selected objects from the center of what was selected.

right now in maya, if i wanted to do that, I have to make a group, which doesn't work if i'm animating stuff inside a rig.

please add more object controls like XSI had.
    the current maya 2017 move setting is a good start, add the congruent move in there for multi objects

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Maya 2017 Workspace: Docked editors don't keep their size when re-opened

When I reduce an editor (like Channelbox) and than reopen it, its size is different from before.
    Here is a screenshot.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make it possible for a node not to inherit its parent's visibility

It is often frustrating to have a node inherit it's parent's visibility. For instance, during the rigging process I often want to hide the joints of a character's arm without hiding his finger joints. A checkbox in Settings & Preferences for 'Inherit Visibility' would be great. There is no workaround to this problem, as far as I know.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Maya 2017 Update 3 - Multi-cut problems and ideas.

Multi-cut is a very effective tool. But lately, I've been facing some problems with it, and missing out useful stuff.

I will post one problem I am having:
    If you have a kinda dense mesh object, Multi-Cut will not perform a loop split, even if the loop line is displayed when hitting Ctrl. If you complete the action, It will make a near edge cut display only. This gets even more complicated with symmetry.
    If you try the Insert Edge Loop Tool workaround after that (with symmetry turned on), Maya will crash with a fatal error.

Now, the idea:
    This…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Maya 2017 Update 3 - UV editing is still a great buggy mess.

There are a lots of improvements over the new UV editor, but old problems are still kicking around.

UVs are still jumping to previous positions when hitting 1 or 3 for meshsmooth preview.
    Explaining: You have an object with a messy UV projection that you want to edit. You do edit it. After you finish it, you want to hit 1 or 3 for smooth preview purposes, and when this happens, the UVs change to the first messy state exactly like it was before you edit.
    In Maya 2016 there were a workaround - you could pin the UVs and…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Why is there a limit on the zoom-in within the Graph Editor?

In Maya 2017 a limit has been set on the amount you can zoom in within the Graph Editor. The limit is roughly set on about 1 frame, so the width of the area you're looking at is a minimal of 1 frame wide.

I don't understand why this has been added in the first place, but I find it incredibly annoying, as keys can sometimes be displaced by other keys, and so are not on, say, frame 1038, but frame 1038.004.. This means that currently one can't zoom in to see what's going on and remove the keys we…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2017 - the modern Graph Editor.

(I've not posted this at the Ideas forum, as these are all small tweaks as opposed to new ideas)

The modern Graph Editor looks really nice and has a lot of potential, but there are some things that made me switch back to the classic Graph immediately. Of course I can just go back to the classic graph anyway, but there will be a release of Maya where you ditch the classic graph option, hence this post.

1: The key shapes. The tiny dots of the classic were perfect for selecting and having visual precision, where the new ones overlap…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Tim!

Thanks so much for submitting this, this is all incredibly useful feedback. We are working hard to ensure that we fine-tune the modern graph editor so that everything feels just right! So these suggestions will definitely help us towards that.

Thanks again and will keep you posted about any updates!

Best regards,

Stefania Medryk

10. Stop Expression Editor from clearing half-written expressions

Never understood why the Expression Editor will erase whatever you have written in there every time you click out of the Expression window. What is the advantage of this behavior? I frequently want to cut and paste long attribute names as I'm writing an expression, but to do this I have to use the Script Editor, as even clicking back into the attribute list of the SAME NODE I am working on will flush the Expression window.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. game exporter = too many clicks

Truly a small annoying thing but constantly having to press to close the 'Game Exporter Export Successful' dialogue AND also clicking to close the game exporter window (because it doesn't stay in front of the main Maya window when maximising) is really annoying.
    I would like an option to disable the 'export successful' dialogue and take it one step further and have an option to ignore the 'replace file' dialogue too. All of these changes will help speed up the iteration process.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 2017 The toolbox on the left only has options for 3 layouts now instead of 6. All that empty space!

I make a lot of layouts depending on what I'm doing.
    I found that 6 wasn't enough, but now with 2017 upgrade, there are only 3 in the left hand side tool box.
    Why reduce functionality?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When using "Save Scene As" Maya remembers the last folder used instead of the save folder

One of the recent updates caused an issue with saving locations. If you perform any operation that requires locating assets in a folder (importing, locating a bitmap etc), Maya remembers this folder and when you "Save Scene As", this folder is suggested instead of the project Save folder.

If the user doesn't realise this at this point, the scene file is saved into a wrong location.

When you're working intensely it's very easy to make that mistake. This has happened to me several times already and it's a heart stopping moment when you notice that the latest scenes are not…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The new UV Editor's buttons for Move "ABSolute" in U and V are labelled U for V, and V for U!

The new UV Editor's buttons for Move "ABSolute" in U and V are labelled U for V, and V for U!

This is infuriating, although the tool tip for each button is correct.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 2017 Save folder

My maya2017 keeps saving my scene files to my sourceimages directory, even though i have my project set to the main directory.

Im on 2017 update 3

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Returning to Maya(2017) after minimizing a layout that uses 2 monitors has issues

Maya's editor windows are not how I left them when minimizing and maximizing Maya. I have the main Maya window on monitor 1 and another window with a collection of editors on monitor2 (Hypergraph, UVeditor, Hypershade, Attribute Editor, Tool Settings). Everytime I come back into Maya my windows have moved from the second monitor to a random position across both monitors. :S

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can't double click an item name in the outliner and then edit it.

You used to be able to double click an time name in the outliner, then click again to edit it. Now if you double click it becomes editable, but clicking again makes it uneditable. The subtle quirk is that you used to be able to use that third click to select somewhere inside the name and then edit there (to, say, fix a typo or edit a number off the end of the name). Now the third click toggles it back to uneditable so if I want to edit the name now I have to double click, then use an…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base