What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

2017 - the modern Graph Editor.

(I've not posted this at the Ideas forum, as these are all small tweaks as opposed to new ideas)

The modern Graph Editor looks really nice and has a lot of potential, but there are some things that made me switch back to the classic Graph immediately. Of course I can just go back to the classic graph anyway, but there will be a release of Maya where you ditch the classic graph option, hence this post.

1: The key shapes. The tiny dots of the classic were perfect for selecting and having visual precision, where the new ones overlap way too much to be practical. I understand that their shapes change depending on the tangent settings, but I see no need for that as the shape of the curve already tells you. Or that they become square when animating on layers, I don't think that the shapes of keys are the right place or way to show that. When viewing baked animation, even when reasonably zoomed in, you can't actually see the colours of any curves because of the sheer size of the keys. Perhaps we could have a key size option in prefs?

2: Zooming out. If you zoom out to see your whole curves, to maybe move stuff around, the keys went from being too big to invisible. This way we don't know what we're selecting. Could the keys maintain a minimal size?

3: Graph lines. Extra (vertical) graph lines on frames don't appear as you zoom in. They were very helpful in the classic graph, as you could then easily see what frame your keys were on, or how many frames are between different keys.
I understand that 1 line represents 1 second, which is nice, but couldn't more (darker coloured?) lines appear in between..>?

4: Zoom in limit. I covered this in a separate note, as it also affects the classic graph, but for the sake of completeness: You can't zoom in further beyond a minimum graph width of 1 frame. Very annoying when trying to get a closer look at double keys, to delete the ones at frame x+.004.

I want to note that the modern Graph isn't all bad, there are lots of really good visual improvements. But the above are deal breakers for me.

Thanks!

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Timvanhussen88Timvanhussen88 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  medryksAdminmedryks (Admin, Feedback for Autodesk Maya) responded  · 

Hey Tim!

Thanks so much for submitting this, this is all incredibly useful feedback. We are working hard to ensure that we fine-tune the modern graph editor so that everything feels just right! So these suggestions will definitely help us towards that.

Thanks again and will keep you posted about any updates!

Best regards,

Stefania Medryk

0 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base