What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

Maya 2017 Workspace: Docked editors don't keep their size when re-opened

When I reduce an editor (like Channelbox) and than reopen it, its size is different from before.
Here is a screenshot.

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AnticomicoAnticomico shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • OvidiusTiberiusOvidiusTiberius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the editor's sizes are very unstable even after Update 3. I was undocking the Shelf editor and docked it on the vertical near the Tool box. Every time I show and hide the Attribute Editor by clicking on the vertical side tab, the docked Shelf editor expands it's size. It;s just ridiculous. I have to undock it and dock it again to come back to it's original size. All these docked tabs need to remember their sizes and stick to it. Also the sizes should be interactively adjustable even when they are docked. This has to be fixed please, or docking the editors is just unusable.

• asdasdasdasd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

okay boys, i dont want to jinx it or celebrate too early or anything, but, after the Update 3 i seem to be fully functional again !!! Just delete your windowstate preference files etc as they are probably still corrupted from earlier once you install update 3, but from there on it seems to be all good, even all the outliner problems of not remembering its settings and position is fixed. no more problems with docked/undocked channelbox and all the other windows.

it definitely took a while but i assume it was something super unexpected and really terrible, so thank you autodesk<3 love maya

• OrphydianOrphydian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this is very annoying. The panels could be more narrowed by default anyway. For example in atribute editor they have that width only to adjust the lenght those slider bars comands. Could you just reaplce those with value boxes instead and allow draging?

The update2 didnt seem to involve anything regarding trying to fix this issue :(
    Panel docking, per-panel visibility toggling and outliner settings are all still completely broken as none of them remember their sizing and settings and things like docked status line end up covering whole screen when simply toggled on/off and cant be resized after that anymore

i guess the new hotkeyed custom workspace system is not bad thing for more laid back approach or for people who only do specific and mostly repetitive tasks but for hardcore generalist work its a workflow speed killer, we need to be able to toggle visibility for each panel separately, docked or not and not rely on preset workspaces that reposition all windows and visibilities to a fixed preset state

• T. I. BurbageT. I. Burbage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is probably the most annoying small thing in the release to me. Each panel has a natural width with both Channel Box/Layers and Modeling Toolkit being relatively narrow. I really want them to stay narrow. I realize the Attribute Editor is the "problem", but it shouldn't drive the width of the others.

also an undocked outliner wont remember its size and settings (ex: show non dag objects, show attributes etc) if its closed and reopened

• Gen TGen T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is incredibly annoying. And the workspace switch workaround is only a temporary solution. Please fix this.

same problem, happens randomly with all docked elements when toggling ui visibilities via script:

when i have attribute editor undocked, mtk closed, everything else docked including channelbox (with inbuilt layer window and using old render layers) and make a hotkey script to hide all panels and menus so theres literally only the viewport in the maya window, that works fine and everything hides, but when i then use a different hotkey script that shows some of the panels again, they dont remember their sizes and docking positions and it becomes a mess where for example time slider suddenly takes up the whole window and i cant even see the viewport. its random

this is example of a line from the script for ui panel state setting/toggling (i use multiple lines for each panel and application/viewport text menus etc):
    (workspaceControl -e -visible (!`workspaceControl -q -visible StatusLine`) StatusLine;)

this is example of what happens:
    1 - all hidden: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/16/10/12/57fe9cc38d7b7.png
    2 - after running a script to show panels: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/16/10/12/57fe9ca5c95b5.png

i can elaborate on this further if it would help to reproduce and address the problem just let me know.

maya 2017 update 1, clean installation and preff files wiped, win 8.1 64bit, multiple monitors

Feedback and Knowledge Base