Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on this idea. It’s under review. (This does not mean that we are committing to this idea. Please read the FAQ for more detail.)

3. Maya 2017 Workspace: Docked editors don't keep their size when re-opened

When I reduce an editor (like Channelbox) and than reopen it, its size is different from before.
    Here is a screenshot.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Don't prompt to save an empty scene

If I open Maya and then go to file:open, Maya prompts me to save the empty scene it created when it opened.
    It also autosaves blank scenes if I leave it open for a while.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Shortcut/toggle for the "edge transform constraint"

The edge constraint can be very useful for fast and precise modeling. I use it quite often to align or tweak edges and vertices. But turning it on and off by clicking in the tool settings or modeling toolkit makes it quite annoying and slow. A shortcut or toggle (like Max has) would be very useful.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop re-grouping my geometries every time i extract/separate and re-combine them

As a still relatively new user of Maya (though i've been in school for it over a year now), I find it increasingly difficult that every time i extract and recombine objects it creates a new group node. So if i have to split a model's head to create blend shapes, then recombine it with the body, i open my hypergraph to see my object under two (or three.... or four... or ten) group nodes. I don't know why this would seem desirable to anyone as this will only cause objects to be affected by double transformations upon scaling or…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Local Rotate/Scale on multiple components issue

In Maya 2016 there is no longer "Local" axis mode as it was in Maya 2014 which i was using extensively on multiple components selection when modeling.
    The obvious solution seems to be Edit Mesh - Transform, but unfortunately while indeed it works very similar, for local Scale and Rotate, it doesn't work properly, i.e., it doesn't work the same as "Local" in Maya 2014.

The problem is that (in Maya2016) using "Transform" on multiple component selections to rotate or scale them, it also doesn't retain the original shape of the selections as it was the case in Maya2014 when…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multi cut tool - tweekable planar manipulators have been removed

The mutli cut tool
    Can we have the manipulator back for planar face selection cuts please.
    - The Maya 2016 Multi cut doesnt allow the ability to tweek the manipulator when planar cutting "a selection of faces". Such a shame as this was a powerful function. In our studio it was very useful to snap the manipulator to verts within the scene etc rotate etc from a specific component, before finally cutting the array of faces.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update the Cut faces tool as well as others to support Snapping

well if you use the cutfaces to to slaice cleanly thru a model you cannot snap the starting point to a specific vertex, or edge, or anything for that matter. Simply asking for it to functions like it does in Softimage where when you start using the tool, hold down the snapping hot key as you make you first click and this will snap the start or pivot point if you will, to a specified vertex or edge depending on the hotkey that was held during the first click.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Reset "hidden" windows after monitor configuration change

Sometimes Maya windows can no longer be seen because they were saved in a position that no longer exists (because a monitor is off, or not attached). It would be helpful if Maya could automatically detect this and reset position/sizes of windows that were off-screen. Or if there were a menu option to bring all windows to the main screen.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Auto Name File Nodes

Why do I have to rename a file node after setting the fileTexurePath. It should automatically take the basename of the file path. Also anywhere where I'm making a new file node via the UI. It should prompt for a file path 1st. Currently it's a 2 step process.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As Amorano said, this could potentially break some systems.

So why do you need this?
    How about show node name as well as texture name for file node?
    So you can identify texture nodes in Hypershade or Node Editor.

12. No STL Export Option Maya 2017

Seriously, as far as I can tell they 100% got rid of Direct Connect for their new ATF system in Maya 2017, but right now only import is possible... Seriously.... There is absolutely no way inside of MAYA to export one of the most common file formats available?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Modeling Tool Kit in 2016 missing Critical Features from previous versions

Integration of the modeling toolkit / NEX tool in 2016 is missing some important functionality.

First, the slide functionality that was mapped to the Control + Shift MMB has been removed. This function was extremely important to an efficient modeling workflow. Surface constraint - Slide, and other workarounds are not good enough. Please add the Ctrl + Shift MMB back to the transform manipulators in component mode.

Secondly, Preselection Highlighting, which is now called Highlight Nearest Component does not make the component active this feature allowed for very fast mesh editing without having to select the component explicitly.

Move along…

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve Unfold3d for hard surface objects

Unfold 3d is good at doing character uv's however when using it on hard surface objects it smooths too much the uvs especially when trying to keep straigt lines in the uv object, the old legacy unfold does a better job but sometimes this crumples the uv's too much, it would be nice to have 2 modes for the new Unfold 3d algoritm, one for characters and one for hard surface or the ability to control the smoothing( relaxing).

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Keep code in the lower half of the Script Editor when it's executed, instead of flushing it

Unless I highlight code in the lower half of the Script Editor, it gets flushed away when I execute it.

As I develop a script it's common to execute the script several times to review modifications, but having to highlight everything just to prevent it from flushing is a pain.

Highlighting some parts of the script is a great way to achieve "selective" execution, so don't change this.

But if nothing is highlighted, execute everything and leave the code where it is.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Select lines of code and excute them (by ctrl+main enter or num enter)

Seletd lines are excuted and all lines remain in the lower half side.

As one user mentioned, the solution is not enough. Reopen it for further discussion.
    How about adding an option or shortcut for this?

16. Maya does not save changes to default workspaces window positions

Currently windows positions for a default workspace are not saved when quitting Maya.

It´s disheartening to come back to Maya and see the editors windows open at their default (inconvenient) positions/sizes).

Thanks for listening.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Shift+move to quick duplicate

Have been using Maya since 2006, and i still miss the shift+move duplicate function from 3ds max.

It should be implemented for ease of use :)

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring back Shift Extrude

2015,2014 has shift extrude. 2016 removed it. please bring it back.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Adjust values on multiple selected objects at once through the channel box/AE

When I have many objects selected, I want to be able to quickly adjust a shared attribute to the same value on all of them. The attribute spreadsheet is a pain as you have to dig around looking for what you want.

For example, if I have 30 rigid body objects, and I want to change all their masses to 2, I should be able to select them all and change the mass in the channel box to 2, and have them all change.

I could have sworn this used to work in Maya at some point.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix Maya 2016 so standard QT styles work properly again.

When Maya introduced its "dark" user interface, it also started using the QT interface library, which allowed users to easily customize the whole UI, and make it "light", amongst other things, by using the -style flag at Maya startup - you can add it to an alias in Windows, or make an "Automater" macro to start Maya with that flag in MacOS, and I have been using it fine to set it to "plastique".

But Maya 2016 broke the ability of Maya to support standard QT styles: the popup menus don't work properly, and many areas of panels ignore the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base