Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When using "Save Scene As" Maya remembers the last folder used instead of the save folder

One of the recent updates caused an issue with saving locations. If you perform any operation that requires locating assets in a folder (importing, locating a bitmap etc), Maya remembers this folder and when you "Save Scene As", this folder is suggested instead of the project Save folder.

If the user doesn't realise this at this point, the scene file is saved into a wrong location.

When you're working intensely it's very easy to make that mistake. This has happened to me several times already and it's a heart stopping moment when you notice that the latest scenes are not…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Xray mode in Viewport 2.0 not working with arnold shaders

I really wonder, why Arnold shaders are not displayed correctly when I activate Xray in viewport 2.0? (Maya 2017 SP3)
    Example: maya lambert shows up xrayed in viewport, but not the Arnold aiStandard shader.
    Hope you will fix this, thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Display an error indicator when the command line is hidden

When the command line is hidden (like with several workspace layouts) the user gets no notification about errors.

There should be another error indicator (like a red dot/button) that would also open the Script Editor.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Returning to Maya(2017) after minimizing a layout that uses 2 monitors has issues

Maya's editor windows are not how I left them when minimizing and maximizing Maya. I have the main Maya window on monitor 1 and another window with a collection of editors on monitor2 (Hypergraph, UVeditor, Hypershade, Attribute Editor, Tool Settings). Everytime I come back into Maya my windows have moved from the second monitor to a random position across both monitors. :S

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Shortcut Hotkeys for Center Pivot and Freeze Transformations.

Very useful shortcuts for them could be key combinations that can quickly be used after the Delete History command (Alt+Shift+D), like:

Alt+Shift+(a letter key)

The letter key can either be one close to the D key, or one that can intuitively be associated with the respective command, like C or P and F or T.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bend Deformer needs update to be as accurate as the one in Max

Bend Deformer needs to be like the one in Max. Right now its almost useless for accurate modelling. The feature set and ux of the Max version would be enough. Please integrate into Maya!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Color and icon style of constraints is confusing

The color and look of constraint icons is so similar to joints that it sometimes become nearly impossible not to miss one or the other. As a rigger if I just want to select joints Its hard to pick and choose in a cluster of icons which look the same.
    PS: I understand I can do select by type in the outliner but fixing this would really help me and many new riggers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. components mode shortcuts moved to F1 F2 F3 F4 and F5

Please move the shortcuts for switching to components, to F1, F2. F3, F4 and F5. Switch the Menu Presets shortcuts with Components Selection. We need the component shortcuts closer to the left hand. While modeling , the left hand is mostly hovering in the Alt, W, E, R area , that is the Left side of the keyboard. Having to go to the right side of the keyboard so to switch to components mode is not practical. I know i can change the shortcuts myself , which i already did, but i think is more intuitive to have it like…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. depth map shadows are broken on Nhair.

using a multiple spotlight setup with Nhair. It looks like only 1 lights depth map shadow will get used, so the hair will be mostly in shadow and will not recieve any light/shadows from the other lights.
    also ambient light no longer work on Nhair (2016 and 2017)
    (non photorealistic rendering with maya software renderer)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Insert Separator to Shelf Editor

In Maya 2017, there are new "separator" items in the default shelves (Curves / Surfaces, Polygons, Sculpting, Rigging, etc.). Turns out, in the MEL files of the shelves, the snippet of code is quite small. However - this is quite annoying to edit the MEL file for the shelf in order to get separators to appear.

It would be ideal to create a new button in the Shelf Editor, next to "New Item", and call it "New Separator".

Icing on the cake would be to then reveal the parameters that the separator contains:
    - width
    - height
    - horizontal

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. RMB marking menu freezes Maya 2017

Trying to switch to components via RMB marking menu freezes Maya randomly or once in a while . This never happened before in the other versions of Maya. I have updated to latest Nvidia driver and still the same problem. This is a major blocking . Please address this very annoying Viewport 2/ RMB marking menu bug.Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve Snap Together Tool

The Snap Together Tool could benefit from a "reverse first normal option". This would allow the first object to be snapped to the second object by using a reversed normal not the regular alignment. This will make the tool behave like a point to point snap tool with the addition of keeping normals parallel. This can be done by having the user hold Shift or another key while clicking one or both of the objects to register the normal as reversed.
    On a more general note, if you'd like to have the ability to query key presses when creating your…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Incorrect Icons.

NOTE: Re-Submitted due to changes.

- In the Create Menu: the Construction Plane, Free Image Plane and Locator menu items have incorrect or missing icons. The proper ones can be seen in the Outliner, when each item is created.

- On the Default Polygons shelf, the Merge command has incorrect icon. The proper one can be found in the Modeling Menu Set > Edit Mesh > Merge. (I personally think the one on the shelf looks a bit like the Target Weld Tool's icon, and does not seem as intuitive as the Menu one, so I really hope it will…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 51 52
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base