Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Prevent node overlapping Node Editor

Have an option to Allow/Not Allow node overlapping. Not so much for user control but to stop maya automatically overlapping nodes on creation. However nice option have have when dragging node around.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Address placement of new nodes - Node Editor

Sick and tired of searching for new nodes outside of the viewing area when inside Node Editor which are placed at the end of the network. Place newly created nodes bottom right hand corner of viewing space for example so they are easily accessed and name can be read. I find myself working at all parts of the node stream not just the end. This also includes nodes when auto-pin is on. Maya places them in the centre and overlapping - bad bad.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reduced "Wireframe on shaded" preference doesn't work in viewport 2

Reduced "Wireframe on shaded" preference doesn't work in viewport 2

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. More Intuitive UV Radial & Marking Menu

Some tools that are frequently used are missing from the marking menu that existed in earlier versions of Maya. Tools such as Unitize and Smooth for instance.

Some of the placement of the tools could be adjusted to more comfortable gestures. Frequently used tools should probably be set to horizontal and vertical movement rather than diagonal.

The Align and Straighten are so similar they're practically redundant to have in the radial marking menu.

Tools like the rotation already have dedicated keys and seem wasteful to take up a radial position in the marking menu.

Keeping gestures fluid where markers have…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Locally-Centric, scene specific, Auto Keyframe

Having Autokey as a global switch is super annoying. Auto keyframe would become a much better tool if it were applied to groups, objects, components, joins, etc. rather than a global switch. If I want to Autokey certain things in a scene, I should be able to select those things, then switch autokey on and have it turn off when deselecting those things. Making it locally-centric would remove the whole reason most people avoid using it all together - it stays on. It should turn off when you open a new scene at the very least. Please.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Auto save dialogue hijacks EVERYTHING on Linux (not sure about windows)

On linux I can be on a totally different desktop doing something unrelated to Maya and suddenly my desktop switches to maya with a dislogue asking me if I want to save my scene.

I use the autosave to secure my work, but I use the reminder option as I have had crashing on autosave on some of my shots. Basically the dialogue reminds me to do a maual save or increment regularly.

The problem is that the auto save dialogue should be visible when maya is actively used, not any time. It should not pull me out of other…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. MAYA PSD's great but full of big big bugs. (recommend better testing)

I've been using PSD's and the new transform based, and tangent space blendshapes on a few feature films recently. The rigs are complex, and perhaps this is the reason why I'm coming across these bugs, but they shouldnt exist regardless of rig complexity.

I can not log bugs behind our firewall. Could someone at AD please review this list and add to the bugbase?

Some of these issues are reproducible but I cant send files so the descriptions are all I can offer at the moment.

1) Mirroring PDS's have never worked for me. I get a number of different…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. quicktime playblast error

perhaps a solution to a bug.
    I have been getting the
    // Error: line 0: Unable to create video track. Check format.
    when trying to playblast quicktimes. I've been doing some looking and there is this:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42675636/maya-2017-playblast-file-problems
    which describes the problem and this that is a simpler solution that seems to have fixed for me
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maya_he3d/JVknnKUHlsQ
    ...... so kill the quicktimeShim.exe to solve.
    I'm still getting crashes from playblasting but thats seems to be one problem solve.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix new Crease Set Editor issues

While most of the old issues with creases being lost when doing certain operations have bee addressed in 2016 Update 2, there are new issues with the new system:
    1. The new Crease Set Editor has debug output that cannot be turned off which decreases the performance when working with creases. Please add the option to disable this debug output.
    2. Sometimes the logic that keeps the crease sets between operations will not work unless the Crease Set Editor is open! Which of course forces debug output in the Script Editor which reduces overall performance.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Give warning when a Time Warp is active

Animator A creates a time warp for some reason, saves the scene and goes off for holidays.
    Animator B keeps working on the scene and finds something is not working well. Takes long hours to find out the reason and it could be avoided if he had a warning message when opening the scene that a time warp is active.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. freeze brush - colour feedback doesnt display when mesh is display smoothed

our firewall blocks the bug reporting page so I have to add it here. Please pass along to QA. Thanks.
    on linux using a quadro M4000 bios version: 84.04.6c.00.01
    the blue colour feedback on a mesh when using the freeze brush (sculpting) doesnt display at all when in display smoothing mode (keyboard 3)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Blendshape edit crash on multiple undo.

maya 2017 (linux) possibly windows too..
    I can't log this via the report a problem feature due to our firewall so consider this a big annoying problem..

when I'm sculpting a blendshape for PSD's or otherwise, and I undo past the point of clicking the edit button (ie I pressed the edit button to sculpt the shape a bit more, then made some brush strokes, smoothing etc, and I have undone back to before the point of selecting the edit button) maya chokes for a while then dies..

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Maya shouldn't pull window focus while loading

Loading Maya it will repeatedly pull window focus and interrupts you. This is even worse if you are loading a heavy scene or directly opening a file.

Maya will force focus away from whatever else you are doing. Blinking on the taskbar when ready would be much more reasonable.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make it easier to reset a camera's image resolution:image size parameter no longer exists in attributes.

make it possible to quickly access and change camera image size: maya 2017 no longer offers image size setting within camera attributes. Reference in render window to "camera panel" makes no sense.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remember Caddies last settings

Every time modelling, the caddies dont remember the last settings, so for example, I'm doing bridge and I every time I have to reduce the number of edges to 1.
    I can use the shortcut G but I dont just do the same operation over and over, I would like them to remember last settings, and also have a reset settings buttons

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Update playblast options to remember path and output name

This seems like a no-brainer but has been how Maya has behaved forever. Please update the playblast output options to give the option for an output folder -- which Maya REMEMBERS -- and fix the browse option so that when you browse to a custom output folder it does not demand that you give an output file name, which has the effect of clearing whatever file name is already in the playblast options. I'd like to see playblast options updated in general, since with the improvements in hardware display in recent years I often find myself using playblasts for certain…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fix playblast timeline feedback

The timeline time marker frequently doesn't update properly when playblasting scenes. This makes it impossible to see the progress of the playblast and/or tell if Maya has frozen. When playblasting dozens of times a day (a regular occurence), this is a huge problem.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. allow multiple navigational keys (alternate alt key)

in XSI the nav key was "s" which made sense because all the other manipulation keys were around it.

in houdini, it's spacebar which makes even more sense, because nav is the most used tool in a 3D program, and spacebar is the most accessible button on a keyboard

in maya the nav key is alt, which makes me force my hand into non-natural poses for long periods of time. I just want to be able to bind another keyboard button to do exactly what alt does in the hotkey menu so I don't get arthritis or carpal tunnel or…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. inline math in numeric fields

in XSI in any numeric field I could put "35+6" and when I hit enter, it would resolve to 41

in maya you have to select a field that had 35 and press "+=6" that is extremely unintuitive, and doesn't work for all fields

say I'm animating and I want to go forward 24 frames, I should be able to just put "+24" to the current number in the current frame box and it should resolve correctly

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. objects hidden should not affect scene performance

MASH objects can sometimes slow down the scene to a crawl, if I hide it, the scene should respond faster, but I feel like it's still calculating things not seen.
    I guess the same would go for complex rigs

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 53 54
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base