Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My studio is going back to maya 2016 - massive viewport and QT problems impeding work

Too many problems to describe. We have a room full of advanced Maya users each with 10-20 years of maya experience, and we are fed up with maya 2017. Its a product with great new features but its so broken on the interface and display / prefs side that it makes daily work really unenjoyable and inefficient.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RMB marking menu freezes Maya 2017

Trying to switch to components via RMB marking menu freezes Maya randomly or once in a while . This never happened before in the other versions of Maya. I have updated to latest Nvidia driver and still the same problem. This is a major blocking . Please address this very annoying Viewport 2/ RMB marking menu bug.Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2017 The toolbox on the left only has options for 3 layouts now instead of 6. All that empty space!

I make a lot of layouts depending on what I'm doing.
    I found that 6 wasn't enough, but now with 2017 upgrade, there are only 3 in the left hand side tool box.
    Why reduce functionality?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Maya 2017 Workspace: Docked editors don't keep their size when re-opened

When I reduce an editor (like Channelbox) and than reopen it, its size is different from before.
    Here is a screenshot.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. The pattern where you ship a new product with a thousand bugs, fix half of them, then ship a new product with a thousand bugs...

Why don't you just have three years of bugfixing. Leave it to the marketing guys to make it sound sexy.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Box sliders instead of Horizontal bars sliders | they make panels too wide

while they are a nice visual elements in such complex interfaces like Maya they are redundant and take too much real estate in an UI which is already crowded.

Simple box value with sliders like Max will basically cut by half the width of the panels and will allow several panels side with plenty of viewport space.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. When using "Save Scene As" Maya remembers the last folder used instead of the save folder

One of the recent updates caused an issue with saving locations. If you perform any operation that requires locating assets in a folder (importing, locating a bitmap etc), Maya remembers this folder and when you "Save Scene As", this folder is suggested instead of the project Save folder.

If the user doesn't realise this at this point, the scene file is saved into a wrong location.

When you're working intensely it's very easy to make that mistake. This has happened to me several times already and it's a heart stopping moment when you notice that the latest scenes are not…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Debug Shading Dropdown too short in Arnold Render View

In the Arnold Render View, make the Debug-Shading-dropdown (the one you can optionally enable to be displayed in the View-menu) long enough to incorporate all options. For me, the dropdown is just long enough so that the last option, Isolate Selected, isn't visible anymore and I have to scroll each time to select it, and scroll up again to go back to Shading.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Xray mode in Viewport 2.0 not working with arnold shaders

I really wonder, why Arnold shaders are not displayed correctly when I activate Xray in viewport 2.0? (Maya 2017 SP3)
    Example: maya lambert shows up xrayed in viewport, but not the Arnold aiStandard shader.
    Hope you will fix this, thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. channelBox colors should fill field

pre 2016.5 the "colors" of the channel box were 100% filled.
    please bring that back, the new style is confusing , and certain channels like vis and enums are 100% filled as "unkeyable" but actually aren't unkeyable. also often artist use enum as channel box spacers.. this is no longer a valid workflow, as locked channels are not displayed across the field

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Display an error indicator when the command line is hidden

When the command line is hidden (like with several workspace layouts) the user gets no notification about errors.

There should be another error indicator (like a red dot/button) that would also open the Script Editor.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Maya 2017: Can't type in decimal numbers in Attribute Editor

We have three guys at our studio that have all started using Maya 2017 and none of us can enter decimal numbers in the Attribute Editor.
    I've deleted the Maya preference file, but it did not help.
    Please fix it.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Returning to Maya(2017) after minimizing a layout that uses 2 monitors has issues

Maya's editor windows are not how I left them when minimizing and maximizing Maya. I have the main Maya window on monitor 1 and another window with a collection of editors on monitor2 (Hypergraph, UVeditor, Hypershade, Attribute Editor, Tool Settings). Everytime I come back into Maya my windows have moved from the second monitor to a random position across both monitors. :S

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Shortcut Hotkeys for Center Pivot and Freeze Transformations.

Very useful shortcuts for them could be key combinations that can quickly be used after the Delete History command (Alt+Shift+D), like:

Alt+Shift+(a letter key)

The letter key can either be one close to the D key, or one that can intuitively be associated with the respective command, like C or P and F or T.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 51 52
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base