Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Don't autosave if Maya has been idle since the last autosave.

If the scene has been modified since the last manual save Maya will keep autosaving even if the computer is unattended. This can generate tons of unnecessary data and network traffic overnight or over a weekend. And in an emergency it makes picking through old autosaves a huge chore.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Import only selected objects from another scene

When I import a scene there are some options, but what I'd really like is an outliner to pick and choose what items I want to import from the given scene. 3dsMax does this really well and even offers to parent the selected object the same as an option.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Import Vertex Color from the .OBJ file format.

For easily and fast prototyping rendering object made with ZBrush into Maya.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Don't autosave during operations!

Autosave should be deferred so that it only happens when maya idle. I've encountered several UI bugs because of this. The biggest believe is related it autosaving while the scrub tool is active, the UI no longer refreshes and maya must be restarted. I've encountered several other issues like it jumping out of tools I'm using or the selection tool stops working. Please use something like the evalDeferred() mel command for autosave.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Treat file sequences as one item in the file browser

Sequences of files should show as one item when browsing files in the file browser:

Example:

myfile.0001.jpg
    myfile.0002.jpg
    myfile.0003.jpg
    myfile.0004.jpg
    myfile.0005.jpg

Should read as:

myfile.[0001-0005].jpg

This should be an option you can turn on and off in the file browser.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. A simpler and less linear paint, scatter and align on geo or curve tool.

Instancing objects on other objects like houdini's 'copy' node is an absolute nightmare in maya. And most ways to do it are not live, which means objects would have to be deleted and recreated everytime a value needs to be changed.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove the need to load references to remove them

It's currently necessary to LOAD a reference in order to REMOVE it. When dealing with multiple heavy references, this can add up to a huge amount of totally wasted time.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Give the ability to import or inherently open .MLT files in Maya 2015

The ability to import MayaLT files seamlessly into Maya 2015 would be incredible for small time animators, LT users needing to upgrade and not lose their work. I was slightly blown back that it is currently not allowed.

Due to its limitations I understand it couldn't go the other way around but I was previously working in MayaLT this year as it was affordable and didn't have a need for its rendering engine, dynamics, other fun stuff. Now working on a short animation I need some of these abilities. My working file was started in MayaLT (modeling, UV, rigging) and…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. export selected

export selected should export selected, not the whole scene. This has never worked for as long as I can remember using Maya (v4). I think it is about time someone made this work, it doesn't seem like a particularly difficult thing to achieve. (in particular obj and fbx)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export selected with FBX should export only selected

Exporting 'Selected' to FBX exports more than just the selected nodes in the DAG graph.

This should work just like it does in Motionbuilder - where only the selected objects get exported.

Maya currently will export an entire hierarchy when only a subnode or subset of nodes is selected.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Pointcloud-Loader-Plugin

David Dustin posted this on laserscanningforum.com: "We have released version 1.2 of our Clouds2Max plugin.
    Some of the best features include slightly blurring the rgb values of the pointcloud to yield a very nice look to the scans and also draping..
    Draping is a process where the vertices of a mesh are projected down onto a point cloud which allows the use of quads and creates excellent surfaces for simulations etc.

We can also capture the RGB values from the pointcloud and create a nice texture for the surface."

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOMETHING SIMILAR IN MAYA!!!
    hope this will…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. save to temp file to prevent file corruption

When Maya crashes during saving, the scene file is corrupted and can't be read most of the time. I've lost a lot of work already because of that.

This could be easily prevented by saving to a temp file, and then deleting the old file/renaming the temp file when the save was successful

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Can't save due to Unknown Node MA/MB fix

When there is an unknown node in the Maya scene file, and you wish to change the file from an MB to an MA file type, Maya currently gives an error saying it cant change the file type due to the unknown node...

Instead of giving the error (which many newbies may not know how to go about fixing), can't Maya just show a pop up box to delete the unknown node and save as the desired file type, or save as current file type instead?

Just think it would be one of those things that could be useful and…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please include a method to collate a scene file into a single project directory

Although the archive option has been there for awhile it retains the absolute file structure a file has when copying the items into a zip file. A more practical and helpful option for handing off project directories would be something that:
    01 - detects all paths pointing outside the root of the workspace.
    02 - makes a copy of the files into the relative path starting in the same root.
    03 - Relinks the nodes in order for the scene to be fully self contained.

This allows for various modular workflows and detachable shot work without the need for extended…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Don't sprinkle "FBXASC032" everywhere in imports

Maya's FBX importer replaces characters that aren't allowed in node names with "FBXASC###". On every FBX import I've ever done, this happens to every single node, since most other programs use spaces in node names. This makes everyone have to do a bunch of search/replace after every import. This even happens when using "Send to..." directly between AutoDesk products.

Add a special case for common characters: turn spaces into underscores, and just remove # which is common in materials ("Map #1"). This creating naming conflicts seems uncommon (if your file has both "Bone_Arm" and "Bone Arm", you're asking for trouble),…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please create maya 2013 compatibility ... allowing us to open 2014 scenes in earlier versions please

I am running Maya 2014 on my MAC because i decided to buy it for Mac instead of windows and i have 2013 on my PC which my school uses and when i want to open the MAYA 2014 Scenes on Maya 2013 to render on more powerful PC's ... The scene does not open..

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Incremental Saves should be logged in "Recent Files"

When using incremental save, the files are not listed in the "recent files". When restarting maya I have to manually navigate to the last saved file.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

There are two kinds of incremental saves. One is Increment&Save, one is option in Save Scene. For the later one, you can find the rencent files in File/Recent Increments.

18. Game Exporter takes / options tied to an object

Often in game dev your Maya scene might have more than 1 objects that you want to export. Sometimes you have 100. Manually renaming the FBX export file in the Game Exporter can become very tedious.

If you have already exported this asset once and your iterating it, and your overwriting your file in your Unity project, manually typing the name and having it match up to successfully replace leaves a large margin for error.

At minimum we need a file browser dialogue on that to circumvent this. Bit ideally something cleverer that uses the mesh node name for the…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. making maya have export/import extension options that communicates well with traditional CAD software.

The idea is that Maya will have the ability to be a manufacturing tool as well for product design. In short, give maya some export options that allows our geometry to seamlessly import into something like Pro-E or Solidworks without messing up the geometry.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Check for more recent autosaves on file load

When restarting work after a crash its tedious to have to manually locate autosaves and work out whether they older or newer than the last manual save. Please automatically check for autosaves, and if the user chooses to load one, rename it so the next manual save will go back in the scenes folder with the original filename and with incremental saves incremented as if no interruption had happened.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base