Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Auto Name File Nodes

Why do I have to rename a file node after setting the fileTexurePath. It should automatically take the basename of the file path. Also anywhere where I'm making a new file node via the UI. It should prompt for a file path 1st. Currently it's a 2 step process.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    13 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As Amorano said, this could potentially break some systems.

So why do you need this?
    How about show node name as well as texture name for file node?
    So you can identify texture nodes in Hypershade or Node Editor.

2. Improve Unfold3d for hard surface objects

Unfold 3d is good at doing character uv's however when using it on hard surface objects it smooths too much the uvs especially when trying to keep straigt lines in the uv object, the old legacy unfold does a better job but sometimes this crumples the uv's too much, it would be nice to have 2 modes for the new Unfold 3d algoritm, one for characters and one for hard surface or the ability to control the smoothing( relaxing).

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hypershade, be able to select a texture and automatically highlight all materials associated.

Hypershade: When you have the textures tab at the bottom and select a texture, all associated materials should also highlight. This would be similar to how Multilister use to work.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Instances are slow in becuase of Material Connections

Instances are an important factor in many workflows. However there seem to be two bottlenecks all deriving from the same issue in Maya regarding instances. One is the Attribute Editor. If you select a transform that has an instanced shape node (that is instanced 1000+ times) Maya stalls for a good 30 seconds if the AE is open. The second issue is if you delete all by history, Maya can stall for 15+ minutes if there is like 15k instances. This is all because each instance can have a different shader assigned to it's instObjGroup array. The delete all by…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ability to make icons in hypershade node editor always large (or small)

Right now in Maya 2016 you can "toggle the icon swatch size of selected nodes to large/small)" with a button in the hypershade node editor. Any new nodes or nodes that aren't opened in the node editor will remain small. I would like to have the option to make all graphed nodes (including newly created nodes) have the large swatch size automatically without having to manually use the swatch size button.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. copy paste textures

right click attribute editor I can break connections to a texture in my shader but it would be incredibly useful to also have copy and paste textures so i dont have to open hypershade to simply copy a checker texture from diffuse to transparency.

this would make maya way way faster

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Node Editor: Always save node layout, option to add dots, backdrop, straight lines.

I like the Node Editor it's my first choice when I do shading, but it serious needs some tools to make it more friendly. When you get more than 20-30 connected nodes for some shader setup it start to get difficult to get a grasp of the node network. And Maya has a lot to learn from Nuke in this regard. Give us tools that makes it easier to understand the node flow.

1. Give us Dots which can serve as a hub for several incoming and outgoing connections. Reducing the clutter.
    2. Option to view the connection-lines straight rather…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Selecting a single edge is now impossible in UV Editor.

It will ALSO selects the edge related to the edge I've just selected.

I do NOT want this behaviour, I used to be able to select entire edge-loops this way and still only have it selecting from the shell that I clicked on. I would really like this behaviour back. Maya 2016 has added 20% nightmare to my workflow purely by doing this.

Maya should not make such assumptions about what my current task is. I am doing art that by design MUST have awkward UVs, For such a task, I need full control of my UVs, like I have…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Falloff ( Curve ) Node like in 3ds Max

It would be great to add a new node called "Falloff" just like 3ds Max which could be tweaked with beziersmooth curves in RGB ( at the same time ! ) or Mono.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Layered Texture. auto-connect file texture´s alpha channel to the layer Alpha parameter.

When adding a new File texture as a layer to the Layered Texture, if the image loaded has an alpha, connect it to the layer Alpha automatically, so you´re not forced to open the node editor (or similar) to drag the File.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Forgets Values after Piping in and out something in Node Editor

How ot works right now:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0 automaticly

How it should be:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0.4 as it was set previosly

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. File node's Default Color set to Black as default.

When working with a Layered Texture, you have to manually set the Default Color of each layer's File node to Black to be able to correctly see the underlying layers outside of the UV Projection that image is using.
    If the Default Color was already set to Black by Default when connected to a Layered Texture, it would be a GREAT time saver!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please make sure "glossy samples" does not lock up when you connect a texture to the glossiness attribute of the mia materials.

It is very annoying to have to disconnect the texture, change the samples value, and then reconnect the texture for every test render you do. This happens for both reflection glossiness and refraction glossiness.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Hypershade Create Bar defaults to half the width of the Hypershade

It's only been happening in recent versions of Maya but it's annoying to have to resize the create bar ever time the Hypershade is opened.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Image sequence "Loop" checkbox.

Please add a Loop check box next to "use image sequence"
    A simple solution to a time wasting annoyance of using expressions all the time.
    People who use hybrid animation cycles in Maya will appreciate.

many thanks.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improve Maya's Paint Effects Canvas to be more like Photoshop or texture editor in 3DS Max

Improve Maya's Canvas to be more like Photoshop or texture editor in 3DS Max

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 3d paint tool

Currently the 3d paint tool is very laggy and can't handle very big textures. its save and update are very slow
    it needs some love and attention to become more efficient badly.
    also having a paint normal map would be good to have in there.
    it is a very powerful part of the old maya features set, fast and easy to use for beginners in 3d ( esp the extend seam colour to counter mip mapping in game engines)
    I find this tool for texturing to be fantastic for mobile game characters and wip up simple scenes and tileable textures…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please implement the free-form transform manipulator from max in the uv editor.

There is a tool in max in the uv editor that is a 4 point lattice on your selected uv's pretty much the same thing as in photoshop when you hit ctrl t and then you can constrain scale your selection using a specific edge as the anchor. It is called free-form transform manipulator, please implement this in Maya as a new tool or as part of the lattice tool.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base