Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow the particle sampler to read any per-particle attribute.

Allow the particle sampler to read any per-particle attribute instead of limited userScalar and userVectors.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow users to apply nucleus to selected vertices (components) rather than the whole model

The wish I could select a some vertices and apply nucleus to those specific verts.

For example, I have a character which and I want to simulate skin giggle. I currently have to apply nCloth physics to the entire mesh and then paint out what I dont want to be dynamic.

Im not saying remove the ability from applying nCloth to whole objects but often times (at least as a user) I feel that a) I don't have to waste time excluding what I don't want to be dynamic and b) I kind feel like it will run faster if…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Particles/Fluid emit from objects supporting volume.

An option to emit particles or fluids from the volume of any arbitrary mesh would be nice.
    Can be used to dynamically fill objects with both particles or fluids and used to easily reshape fluids with meshes.
    If used as a negative emitter can kill entire volumes of fluids densities if required.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hair Collide Width ramps

I know nHair is pretty new. But I find myself wishing I could taper the Self Collide Width scale and the Collide Width Offset on them to help curls and long hair.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I want to be able to control the number of particles displayed(globally, as a percentage) in viewport 2.0

It would be great if the new viewport allowed me to globally set a percentage of the particles in my scene to draw - this would make it easier to preview and playback my simulations.

So for example if I set the value to 10%, all my particle nodes would only draw 10% of the actual number of particles.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. A good fracture system that can be baked.

Maya needs a good fracture system.
    DMM is no longer in 2013.5 and it also could not be baked.
    Maya really lacks a good clean simple setup fracture system.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I want more control over what caches write out

I want to only writing out the data that needs to be written out.
    There needs to be the flexibility to be smart about what I need written out on a case by case bases, and also when it’s written out – ie. can we do most of it at render time.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. A decent shatter and destruction tool set...

Would very much like to see Maya have a decent shatter and destruction capability that can pre-shatter objects with the option for jagged internal faces as well as the ability to dynamically shatter objects during simulation.

Having it work in tandem with Bullet would be the icing on the cake :)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Link nParticle scale to instance scale

Link nParticle scale to instance scale. It should be the default.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. nHair does not respect follicle override attributes like classic hair does

the 'Override Dynamics' attribute on the follicle node is useful for setting different dynamic properties to individual hairs.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Real Object (Mesh) Collisions of nParticle Geometrie Instances.

I would love to have real geometrie collisions like Bullet for Maya's nParticle Instancer. I think this would be a game changer. These Sphere and Cube Collisions are not suiteable for every shape. It simply sucks that i need to go to another 3D package to fill an Object with other objects so that they NOT intersect.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. BiFrost needs initial states and cache offset controls

BiFrost is lacking a way to create initial states from pre-rolled simulations. There needs to be a way to either set and initial state for the liquid container or offset the disk cache.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Link

Have more options available in dropdown menu for things like random scale, random rotation, random instance, in the particle instancing section. I am always have to assign the same scripts over and over and these are ready-made options in most other packages.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Bullet: Compounds consisting of primitives like sphere / box / etc. not possible

It is not possible to create compounds consisting of multiple primitives like sphere / box / etc.. This way it would be possible to optimize performance in simulation. Otherwise every part of the compound is a convex hull instead of e. g. a sphere...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bullet Bug - Dynamic bodies do not collide with a Kinematic bodies if both are set to mesh

Create two spheres. Make one Kinematic, and the other Dynamic. Place the Dynamic sphere above the Kinematic sphere so that when you press play, it falls onto the Kinematic sphere.

Notice it doesn't roll because the Collider Shape Types are set to box. Set the Dynamic sphere's collision type to mesh, and it still will collide, just not accurately. However, set the Kinematic sphere's collision to mesh also. This kills the simulation. The Dynamic sphere simply fails to collide.

A Dynamic mesh collider shape and a Kinematic mesh collider shape will not collide in any of the simple tests I've…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is that bullet doesn’t support it.
    Dynamic bodies should not be set to mesh collider shape type. This is allowed in Maya 2013 (but should not).

Could you give us the workflow why you do this?

17. Different Xgen primitive width for render and viewport.

When modelling hairstyles with Xgen I would like to set the primitive width in the viewport separately from the render width.
    I usually only display a 1/3 of the strands in the viewport so I want the strand width to be 3 times thicker to get a better representation in the viewport. As far as Im aware this is not possible right now so you have to change the values manually between viewport preview and rendering.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. nCloth inputMeshAttract stays on even when you set it to zero.

If you set inputMeshAttract above zero, and then set it again to zero, inputMeshAttract stays on.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please log this as a bug as well (link on the page).

A few questions…

Just the map values or the scale values or both?
    What is the sim doing that it shouldn’t be doing?

Note that very small values will have an effect, so if the 3 decimal place accuracy in the GUI isn’t showing a small but non-zero value this could still have an effect.

Or are you referring to the graying out of the UI, and how the values of the inputMeshAttract/inputAttractDamp/inputMotionDrag
    determine the state of the AttributeEditorUI?

Thanks.

19. Unify the vertex paint tools to have the same toolset for vertex painting weight painting, and NCloth painting

It seems that every "paint" operation in maya has its own interface,
    Why not unify them to all have the same features. for example why is there no way to export maps from ncloth vertex attribute paint, but you can export maps and weight files from standard vertex paint tools.. This could also be solved by just simply allowing the vertex paint tools to find all the Ncloth object vertex arrays so they show up as vertex color sets along with everything else.. this would also give us control over layering vertex color maps to make more complex vertex mapping…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Function to bake nParticle instances into objects, making standalone meshes per instance

For importing dynamics animations into Keyshot, which doesn't handle anything except object level animation, it was necessary to bake the instanced objects into separate keyframed meshes. I was able to find a 3rd party script that did it, but it looked grim for a while.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base