Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PTex support for MR needs work

NVidia posted a fix that's supposed to fix MR crashing with displacements, but you still can't plug a PTEX look-up node into a bump node last I looked. The absolute path in the PTEX look-up node is bad too - couldn't MR just read a normal file node with PTEX?

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A 'Elapsed time' and a 'Estimated time' during rendering for mental ray

To support this idea.
    http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/2954428-render-view-overhaul

Too add even the most basic of things.. RENDER TIME 'during' rendering. A 'Elapsed time' and a 'Estimated time' and not just a percentage on the progressbar. (which gets hidden because you minimized a window on it, grrr.. )

Also, If you're batch rendering and Maya is open and you see this scrolling by..
    // Result: Percentage of rendering done: 0 X:/Project/Images/render.x.exr) //
    // Result: Percentage of rendering done: 50 (X:/Project/Images/render.x.exr) //
    // Result: Percentage of rendering done: 100 (X:/Project/Images/render.x.exr) //
    // Result: Rendering Completed. See mayaRenderLog.txt for information. //

Please add ONE LINE that…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Delete several layers at once

Deleting display/render layers has to be one by one, I should be able to delete all of them at once!

Small annoying thing!

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support more pass for mia_material

The pass system when used with the mia_material is totally broken in 2013. The following passes DO NOT work: Diffuse, Diffuse Without Shadows, Direct Irradiance, Direct Irradiance Without Shadows, Raw Shadow, Shadow. Please fix this as soon as possible. I'd send a test scene but it's pointless. All you have to do is make a sphere, plane, assign mia_material_x_passes, create passes and render. Watch those I listed come out black, or in the case of the beauty, totally bonkers. The pass system works fine for Blinns and Phongs. Only problem is no one uses those shaders any more in a…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Adding nodes in new Hypershader places them offscreen

When adding nodes using the buttons in the Create panel, new rendering nodes are positioned on the canvas outside of the current view. Expected behavior: place new nodes in center of view or whatever happened in the 2015 Hypershade. Zooming in and out to find new nodes really slows down the work in Hypershade when making render networks.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make mental ray for Maya Satellite more robust

I find mental ray Satellite incredibly useful for speeding up rendering, but I've stopped using it because the slightest problem with the network or a satellite node causes the entire rendering to halt, never to recover, sometimes not even by hitting ESC, etc. on the master node.

Please add a watchdog timer or some other failure check to detect node/network failures and stop using failed/down satellite nodes. This applies to both single frame rendering (i.e. while I'm interactively using Maya), and to batch rendering (I realize Satellite may not be ideal for the latter, but for those of us who…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. ramp shader /facing ratio combo

I think i'm really tired of setting up , or using presets from a library to create Fresnel ramps, direction based ramps or other kinds of ramps that read geometry or light direction.
    Please give to us, a solution out of the box.

Thanks!

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Hypershade: make shader nodes Node State=Has No Effect or Blocking act like a true disconnect

Currently shader nodes seem to ignore Node State.

Users would like to be able to flip Node State on a texture node and have Maya act as though the connection has been broken to the mapped attribute. This makes it easy to turn off a texture and then flip it back on later.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make 'Remove Select Objects' (Render Layers) work reliably

The command to remove selected objects from a render layer works about 20% of the time. Usually it's because the object isn't actually in the layer but a parent or grandparent is. This means we have to poke around in that drab membership editor to remove the parent and more often than not, re-add all of the subject node's siblings to achieve the desired result. A few extra lines of MEL could surely automate this.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. adding Ray tracing shadows to the viewport 2.0

I think the next step to improve viewports 2.0 is to add the rate tracing options to it. Features like Ray tracing shadows reflections and even refractions could be very useful. I know that in the upcoming version the new direct X 11 shaders and support supposed to give us better control with textures and maps. Now that Maya supports substance materials, and PText (needs better integration in all things including mental Ray and normal hardware render) we can get faster and easier and better looking scenes. So more control over the lights and shadows will be very useful specially…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Arnold transparent material should also be transparent in the View port.

Arnold transparent materials are opaque in the Viewport 2.0.
    Better if it was translated in to the Viewport to a transparent visualization too.
    Would be good if all material is represented as close to the Soft Ware render as possible. Arnold SSS to Viewport 2.0 SSS for example.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Multitreathed Transfer maps

Why can't I bake maps with all my CPU cores? I hate to wait for the diffuse map to bake out when tools like xnormal made the normals, ambient occulsion and many more maps in half of the time or less

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add some shaders like curvature or cavity and the possibility to bake them on multiple UVs.

Add some shaders like curvature or cavity; and the possibility to bake them on multiple UVs.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. mac

In Maya 2014 and 2015 for Mac there is an error where rendering in batch mode or from the command line. The render will just randomly stop processing frames. It gives no error messages but also doesn't say render complete. It's like it's just stuck between two frames. The number of frames that render is random and it's also random on which scenes it happens. Yesterday I rendered 86 frames on a scene before freezing. Today I re rendered the same scene and only got 6 frames. It's impossible to work like this... Please please please fix it!

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. displacement cracks at UV seems in mental ray

There's a whole series of forum posts about how to work around this issue. Seems Mental Ray already has a fix for it, but it's buried in registry edits and custom attributes and the like. Would be nice if we could set this up way more easily. It's part Mental Ray's fault but what features Mental Ray has isn't fully exposed.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. proper render of Camera Sequencer (with multiple cameras etc...)

Possibility of rendering edit made in camera sequencer with Mental Ray, VRay etc...

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

does he ubercam option help?

19. Retain the set Color Space of File nodes when reloading or repathing textures

It's getting really annoying to be needing to set the color space every time a texture is updated, by either reloading or setting a new path for a file.

When using normal maps I need the Color Space to be set to Raw, I set this when I create the node but every time I update the file nodes it gets set back to sRGB (which can be regularly when tweaking stuff in ZBrush then transferring the files to Maya).

Can this be fixed asap please?

Thanks

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. hair doesnt have the same render options as other objects

Almost all shade nodes have the same render options - cast shadows, receive shadow, primary visibility, etc under the Render Stats tab in the attribute editor. Hair only has three of these (Cast Shadows is available but is placed in the Shading section). It would be very helpful when constructing render passes if Hair had all the same render options as every other object. I usually have to oversample my entire layer because the lack of these options prevent me from separating hair into a separate layer in a way that would achieve the correct look.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base