Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Modeling Tool Kit in 2016 missing Critical Features from previous versions

Integration of the modeling toolkit / NEX tool in 2016 is missing some important functionality.

First, the slide functionality that was mapped to the Control + Shift MMB has been removed. This function was extremely important to an efficient modeling workflow. Surface constraint - Slide, and other workarounds are not good enough. Please add the Ctrl + Shift MMB back to the transform manipulators in component mode.

Secondly, Preselection Highlighting, which is now called Highlight Nearest Component does not make the component active this feature allowed for very fast mesh editing without having to select the component explicitly.

Move along…

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Profile Sweep Tool

Maya needs a profile/sweep tool like in Max.

While it is possible to extrude along a path in Maya, it does not work on 90* edges or even wider angles.

I propose a tool in Maya, whether it is existing or new, to be able to select a path, a curve profile, or face, and make it conform exactly to the path on any angle.

It can be done and done well, a simple ruby script for SketchUp, ProfileBuilder, is a perfect example:

smustard.com/script/ProfileBuilder

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Insert Edge Loop World Unit Offset

Currently there is no option for a world fixed offset amount in the tool settings for "Insert Edge Loop" tool. However the polySplitRing command can accept offset values, but only a weighted value.

I would like for there to be an option for absolute offset distance in "Equal Distance From Edge" Mode.

This would be useful when adding control loops to a certain model and being able to remain consistent, without simply eyeballing.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bezier curves in Ramps

On Ramp Attributes in addition to:
    Linear
    Smooth
    Spline
    None

Please add:
    Bezier

It's really boring having to simulate beziers with lots of points...

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Transfer Attributes from one Object to multiple Objects in one step

An example for this would be a book, generate Uvs for one page and transfer them to all pages in one step, preferable without history and on the original underlying mesh.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

@arminmueller: We have a few questions for you to clarify what you’re asking for.

Is the issue that the current “transfer attributes” command only works on a single target object, and you’d like it to work on multiple target objects?

thanks.

6. "Fill Hole" and "Bridge" that automatically tries resolve quads in planar poly surfaces

When you have a hole in a poly surface with multiple loops on both directions, instead of using the Fill Hole tool to create a single face and connect the loops with multi-cut, it could automatically make quad draws if possible. This could be also added in "bridge".

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Update the Cut faces tool as well as others to support Snapping

well if you use the cutfaces to to slaice cleanly thru a model you cannot snap the starting point to a specific vertex, or edge, or anything for that matter. Simply asking for it to functions like it does in Softimage where when you start using the tool, hold down the snapping hot key as you make you first click and this will snap the start or pivot point if you will, to a specified vertex or edge depending on the hotkey that was held during the first click.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. polyBevel tool should add additional segments

Have the polyBevel tool add an additional segment on the inner and outer edges, flush with the flat faces, to maintain normal tagency. This will stop flat faces from appearing bulged out and triangulated.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Snap using two axis constraints (like in Max) rather than just one at a time.

Make it so you can for example - align a vert to another in two axis by holding the little square on the move tool that corresponds to the two axis you want to move the vert in, then move to the vert you want to align to holding the 'v' key. This works when moving in one axis at a time, so why not two? It's something I need a lot when building things like game environment collision mesh where edges need to be square for our context moves to work in game.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. please integrate esential tools from bonus tools menu in default maya

There are tools I use for a while now in the Bous Tools Menu, like:
    -Combine and Merge
    -select Every N-th Edge in Loop/Ring
    -Duplicate on object
    -Connect Border Edges and so on...

Please integrate all this important tools straight in maya so we don't have to install Bonus Tools every time we update. We also have custom marking menus that require this addiction to Bonus tools.
    Please add only new tools in Bonus Tools and integrate the old ones. Kill this addictive behavior and this segmented workflow. People in heavy production need the tools to be unified under few…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to change the colour of polygon border edge please.

The poly border edge thickness can be changed but not the colour, seriously come on now guys :)

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring back Shift Extrude

2015,2014 has shift extrude. 2016 removed it. please bring it back.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bridge should work with un-equal edge number as well

The current bridge command has not enough options. Please add an option so we will be able to quickly bridge un-equal border edges. This could be fast and helpful for any modeller. The actual BonusTools>Modeling>Connect Border Edges is able to do that, but it's creating a new object and require extra steps to combine it and merge the vertices with the original object. Max is able to do that on the flow, Maya not. I attached 2 images as for example:

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 2016 Ext2 Bevel Using Offset (World Units) Doesn't work as expected

When using bevel with "Offset as Fraction" turned off, Maya 2016 Ext2 gives wrong bevel widths. I have attached a comparison of Maya 2016 Ext2 and Maya 2015 (didn't check 2016). In the attached image, each cube is 100 units^3 and the same settings were used on each cube, one with fractional bevels of 0.5 and one with offset (world unit) bevels of 25. The actual bevel widths in Maya have never been perfect, but 24.997... is close enough to 25, but in Maya 2016 Ext2 the offset bevel is 35.351... which is obviously wrong. if we measure the bevels…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Better snapping to curve

When using snap to curve (holding c or by toggling it) you are able to snap your selection to a curve or an edge, BUT, if you want to snap, like for instance a selection of edges on a given axis I need to select that axis and middle mouse button on that point on the curve and I need to do this several times to get my vertex more or less where I want. What I want is to grab my selection using the axis that I want and snap on the point (imaginary point) in the curve/edge where…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Stop re-grouping my geometries every time i extract/separate and re-combine them

As a still relatively new user of Maya (though i've been in school for it over a year now), I find it increasingly difficult that every time i extract and recombine objects it creates a new group node. So if i have to split a model's head to create blend shapes, then recombine it with the body, i open my hypergraph to see my object under two (or three.... or four... or ten) group nodes. I don't know why this would seem desirable to anyone as this will only cause objects to be affected by double transformations upon scaling or…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. make the Pencil Curve Tool work with a polygonal live surface

make the Pencil Curve Tool work with a polygonal live surface. Currently it only works on nurbs surfaces.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Multi cut tool - tweekable planar manipulators have been removed

The mutli cut tool
    Can we have the manipulator back for planar face selection cuts please.
    - The Maya 2016 Multi cut doesnt allow the ability to tweek the manipulator when planar cutting "a selection of faces". Such a shame as this was a powerful function. In our studio it was very useful to snap the manipulator to verts within the scene etc rotate etc from a specific component, before finally cutting the array of faces.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Speed up instance handling when amount > around 1000

Instance handling is extremely slow when number of instances are high (~1000 and higher). I would say it's unusable as it is now. An easy example to test: Make thousand instances of an object. Make a mel-script that parent each individual to a group. Each loop is counted in seconds. In a game engine instances are used all the time and especially when the number of "clones" are high. A fix would be much appreciated.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. tool presets

tool presets...

alot ot times i like to usethe move tool with a polygon,

sometimes i want reflection ,

other times with tweak mode,

sometimes with soft selection....

.its soooo annoying have to turn of 6 different options temporarily then go turn them on again afterwards

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base