Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSAO in viewport 2.0 does not respect alpha channel transparency.

Please don't render ssao on top of the areas of a model that has an alpha channel transparency applied to it. This technique is the default setting in all game rendering engines, otherwise you will see an outline of the geometry even though the alpha channel is trying to make it transparent.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Isolation mode needs to auto-include things created afterwards

When entering isolation mode in a complex scene I often want to create or add another detail or draw a curve without an obstructed view. Sadly isolation mode keeps the newly created assets invisible which defeats the purpose in this specific case. It would be much more useful if the feature would automatically include newly created objects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add "X-ray" option in Drawing Overrides section

This would be useful for creating more elegant and less disturbing Nurbs curves as animation controllers, as they can reside within the mesh but still be visible.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create new object at same xyz as selected object

If you have something selected, and you create a new object like a locator, nave option to put it at same coords as the selected object.

Wonder if that can already be done?
    Thanks

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ViewCube disappears in Viewport 2.0 in Maya

ViewCube disappears in Viewport 2.0 in Maya

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make it possible for a node not to inherit its parent's visibility

It is often frustrating to have a node inherit it's parent's visibility. For instance, during the rigging process I often want to hide the joints of a character's arm without hiding his finger joints. A checkbox in Settings & Preferences for 'Inherit Visibility' would be great. There is no workaround to this problem, as far as I know.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Normal Maps not showing correct in Viewport 2.0

Why doesn´t Maya show normals correctly in Viewport 2.0 since Maya 2016?

I´ve found a workaround but this isn´t the way it should work.

I have to type "ogs -reset" in the command line every time i start maya AND i have to set the normal map to "raw" instead of "sRGB".

This wasn´t the case in 2015 and all Versions i used before. But since 2016 i have to repeat this steps every single time i restart maya.

Could you please test things before you release them to us developers? We are paying too much money for this and…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Enable Wireframe On Shaded alpha outside of Sculpt Tool

Having a subtle wireframe turned on while animating, particularly the face, is incredibly helpful for seeing the masses deform properly. Pixar's Presto software displays wireframe this way (see attached screenshot).

Is it possible to have the Extension 2 Sculpt Tool's "Wireframe Display Alpha" as a default option in the viewport? Maya's default wireframe is much to thick and obtrusive for areas like the eyes and mouth.

Thanks
    Chris

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Isolate select in 2017 is nearly invisible. Ths old green color makes sense to the selected geometry.

You loose time looking for that tiny isolate icon... I ussualy click the multisample antia aliasing instead. The color is the problem!!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Viewport exposure should not affect manipulators or wireframes

We are using PBR shaders together with the Viewport 2 colour management and exposure settings - for a bright sunlit environment exposure typically needs to be about -6.5, but this also affects all manipulators and wireframes in the viewport, turning them black.

Please prevent colour management and exposure controls from affecting the colour of manipulators and wireframes.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add Primary Visibility to ImagePlanes

Instead of having to hack in a plane or turn the whole thing off, it would be better to have a Primary Visibility flag on ImagePlanes.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve Camera Projections

Please improve the camera projections in maya, they are outdated and do not work well with transparency. The camera project on the backside too, which causes us unsolvable problems.

The transparency in VP2 of the camera projections perform really bad (even in depth peeling) as they are dependant of the center of the bounding box of the objects, which cause many problems too.

Finally, things get too heavy when matte paintings are projected on many objects (projection shader assigned to multiple objects), way more intense for gpu than a regular shader.

My hopes aren't very high on fixing maya things…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Paint effects stroke disappears in any maya2015 viewport mode

Paint Effects stroke should not disappear after drawing

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fix `display render tesselation` in Viewport 2.0 for NURBS surfaces

The feature simply does not work in viewport 2.0. It would be nicer if it responded just as it does in the legacy viewport

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Problems With graphicCards

Please in maya 2016 the viewport having big problems... Such as if you are having Nvidia graphicCard you won't be able to select the objects in the viewport on OpenGL feature. and if you are having AMD GraphicCard some of them you won't be able to use either OpenGL Or Direct X Feature you will be stuck with OpenGL Core Profiler which you can't switch the viewport 2.0 to the standert maybe..

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Improve viewport navigation when using Artisan/ Paint mode

Would be nice to make it like in mudbox:
    when you are in paint mode, point the mouse pointer to the area, you want to focus, hit the "f" key (for "frame selection"). Now you can tumble the camera around the area you focused

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Anti-aliasing in "View Port Presets" going to default after Maya relunching

I made a new preset for enabling "Multisampling Anti-aliasing" in View Port 2.0.

I assigned that to a custom Workspace and made that workspace a default so every time when I run Maya it's my default workspace.

But when I exit Maya and rerun it again the Anti-aliasing is not enabled! it's going to default "disable" again so I have to select another Workspace and after that go back again and choice my workspace to make it enable again.

Plz fix this small issue. Thanks

And please make the Presets are visible outside so you don't have to click there…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Save viewport exposure and colour management settings with scene

We are using the Viewport 2 colour management and exposure settings with all all of our scenes - please allow these to be saved with the scene as it is pretty annoying to have to manually fix these settings every time a scene is reloaded.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Defective Tumble on Object operation when Camera Based Selection in Component mode

The problem is:
    Orbiting don't happen around the nearest vertex as it should when "Tumble on object" option is activated in the Tumble Tool.

The problem happens when:
    - in component mode
    - Camera Base Selection is active (Modeling Toolkit: On mode, or the option in any of the transform tools).

Function works ok, when in Modeling Toolkit's new "Auto" mode, though.

Thanks for listening!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add the option for 2 or 3 rows on shelves space

Instead of scrolling it would be nice to have a customizable height in the shelt editor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base