Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Maya 2017: Can't type in decimal numbers in Attribute Editor

We have three guys at our studio that have all started using Maya 2017 and none of us can enter decimal numbers in the Attribute Editor.
    I've deleted the Maya preference file, but it did not help.
    Please fix it.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    12 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Maya 2017 Workspace: Docked editors don't keep their size when re-opened

When I reduce an editor (like Channelbox) and than reopen it, its size is different from before.
    Here is a screenshot.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Poly to Subdiv conversion utterly broken in 2017

How to replicate. 1 Create any polygon primitive. 2 Scale it a little and move it away from its original position. 3 Hit poly to subdiv and watch the craziness. I tested it on two totally different machines on two different OS. The more complex the model the weirder the result

Autodesk fix this and while you are at it: please, make it finally keep hard corners.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Isolation mode needs to auto-include things created afterwards

When entering isolation mode in a complex scene I often want to create or add another detail or draw a curve without an obstructed view. Sadly isolation mode keeps the newly created assets invisible which defeats the purpose in this specific case. It would be much more useful if the feature would automatically include newly created objects.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Maya 2016 E 2 extrude Thickness spikes issue

We still have the same annoying bug with spikes appearing while extruding and using Thickness. The algorithm is not perfect yet, it fails with more complex meshes . If i use the extrude manipulator though, the results are good, only tweaking the Thickness attribute gives bad results.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. channelBox colors should fill field

pre 2016.5 the "colors" of the channel box were 100% filled.
    please bring that back, the new style is confusing , and certain channels like vis and enums are 100% filled as "unkeyable" but actually aren't unkeyable. also often artist use enum as channel box spacers.. this is no longer a valid workflow, as locked channels are not displayed across the field

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Symmetry still doesn't work with all tools

"to edge ring and split" for example, doesn't work with symmetry.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Making people vote for "small annyoing things" is a public relation strategy, and it pisses me off.

Bugs and "small annoying things" are things that should have been sorted out by your quality control.
    Making people vote for "small annyoing things" is a public relation strategy, and it pisses me off.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Shift + RMB marking menu for curves and surfaces could finally use some updating

The context sensitive shift + rmb marking menu basically doesn't do anything for curves and surfaces. It should be very simple for the UX team to improve on this. Its such a no brainer on the fingertips of every Maya user and it gets shamefully ignored since forever and leaves gaping holes in the UX. Its high time to follow through with the UX concept in all areas, please

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Marking Menus persist after releasing RMB click.

I would like to make them appear after a single RMB click (+- other modifying keys).
    I don't like the current way to hold the RMB because it's not ergonomic to keep pressing or accidentally release on the wrong command.
    I basically just want to release the mouse and still have the menu, which doesn't disappear until I click again either on a command or outside, that's it.
    Would be very helpful to make it an option at least for the RMB marking menus, thanks.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Keep corners when converting Polygon to Subdiv options

Converting polygon models to Nurbs is a royal pain because there is no option to keep hard corners when going to Subdiv as a necessary step to Nurbs. The only way to work around is to manually insert edges close to those areas that will otherwise be rounded / interpolated by the process and to the nature of things it will never be perfect as well. Please add the option box for this its very annoying to have to do this manually
    For example a rectangular poly plane (with no divisions) converted to Subdiv will be a circle. A few…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Tools for surface modelling are in an embarrassingly bad shape (buggy, crashing not reliable)

Nurbs suface modeling is in terrible shape right now. Simple operations like blend, trim, extend etc are horribly outdated, not working half of the time or instantly crashing maya. Seriously, that stuff is so basic and yet not working reliably if its working at all. What is going on? How is that that so many features can't even reliably make operations that were possible 30 years ago? Why? Please dont point me to Fusion 360 as no IT in any company will ever instal it anywhere. I'm not asking for much, just the most basic functionality to just work.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make editors and dialog boxes pop to the top of the stack when they are called

Make editors and dialog boxes pop to the top of the stack when they are called

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Maya 2017: Mesh doesn't always update in the viewport when animating with the new Shape Editor

The new Shape Editor is a great idea, but occasionally the mesh will not update when you animate the shapes with the sliders, even though the editor clearly creates the new keyframes. This happens usually if you use the sliders without the actual mesh being selected. The mesh will update again when you select the mesh and try to change the values.

Also, it's great that you can change the order of the blendshapes easily in the Shape Editor. But unfortunately this doesn't change the order in the Graph Editor. Would be nice if these two things would be connected.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Forgets Values after Piping in and out something in Node Editor

How ot works right now:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0 automaticly

How it should be:
    Value in shading node is set to 0.4 manualy
    Pipe in a node so the value is overwritten
    Pipe the node out
    Value is set to 0.4 as it was set previosly

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create UV Shells with Simple Edge Selectios

Being able to select, visibly see color coded selected edges, and then convert those edges to UV shell seams would be ideal in combination with unfold UVs. Instead of having to go to planar/cylinder/auto this would make way more sense and save a ton of time. Having unfold be a live tool would be great! A free app like Roadkill UV does UVs so much faster. 3DS Max also does this well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multi cut tool - tweekable planar manipulators have been removed

The mutli cut tool
    Can we have the manipulator back for planar face selection cuts please.
    - The Maya 2016 Multi cut doesnt allow the ability to tweek the manipulator when planar cutting "a selection of faces". Such a shame as this was a powerful function. In our studio it was very useful to snap the manipulator to verts within the scene etc rotate etc from a specific component, before finally cutting the array of faces.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Maya 2017 : No need for the multiple Outliner windows in Maya 2017.

Symptom :
    "Outliner" is used to be appeared/displayed, just "ONLY ONE Outliner" window, by pressing the "Outliner" button in "Window" on menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Outliner".

But, from Maya2017, "Outliner" is appeared/displayed over one "Outliner" after pressing the "Outliner" button in "Window" on menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Outliner".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Maya 2017 : Attribute Editor doesn't be shown up over the other multiple piled windows in Maya 2017.

Symptom :

"Attribute Editor" window is used to be shown up/displayed over the other multiple piled windows even after by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute Editor".

However, from Maya 2017, I can't bring up/display the "Attribute Editor" window over the other mpltiple piled windows.

When I work on Maya2017 with other displayed windows(Hypergraph, hypershade, graph editor and so on.) over "Attribute Editor", and trying to call "Attribute Editor" by pressing the "Attribute Editor" button in "General Editor" from menubar, or hitting its assigned shortcuts key for "Attribute…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 50 51
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base