Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Import only selected objects from another scene

When I import a scene there are some options, but what I'd really like is an outliner to pick and choose what items I want to import from the given scene. 3dsMax does this really well and even offers to parent the selected object the same as an option.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix crease behavior when combining objects or adding geometry.

When combining two objects with creases on them, their assignment gets mixed around as the edge indexes change. Same thing happens when using some of the poly tools like Cut Faces, Multi-Cut, Extrude.
    If the creases are part of a Crease Set, this happens quite often. If they are baked into the object, it happens less often.
    The only workaround is to convert creases to hard edges, combine the meshes and then select the hard edges and crease them again which is not optimal if you plan to use more than one Crease Set.
    I would ask that the poly…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. export selected

export selected should export selected, not the whole scene. This has never worked for as long as I can remember using Maya (v4). I think it is about time someone made this work, it doesn't seem like a particularly difficult thing to achieve. (in particular obj and fbx)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bring back the toolbar icon style from Maya 2015.

The new single-color toolbar icons in Maya 2016 are hard to distinguish from one another, and slow down the user's workflow.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Maya 2016 so standard QT styles work properly again.

When Maya introduced its "dark" user interface, it also started using the QT interface library, which allowed users to easily customize the whole UI, and make it "light", amongst other things, by using the -style flag at Maya startup - you can add it to an alias in Windows, or make an "Automater" macro to start Maya with that flag in MacOS, and I have been using it fine to set it to "plastique".

But Maya 2016 broke the ability of Maya to support standard QT styles: the popup menus don't work properly, and many areas of panels ignore the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Modeling Tool Kit in 2016 missing Critical Features from previous versions

Integration of the modeling toolkit / NEX tool in 2016 is missing some important functionality.

First, the slide functionality that was mapped to the Control + Shift MMB has been removed. This function was extremely important to an efficient modeling workflow. Surface constraint - Slide, and other workarounds are not good enough. Please add the Ctrl + Shift MMB back to the transform manipulators in component mode.

Secondly, Preselection Highlighting, which is now called Highlight Nearest Component does not make the component active this feature allowed for very fast mesh editing without having to select the component explicitly.

Move along…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. layer panel being able to be torn off

Layer Panel able to be torn off from Channel box. Complicated scenes require many layers and it's problematic constantly not being able to use the channel box or the layer editor because one needs to resize up or down either layers or channels.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. "Fill Hole" and "Bridge" that automatically tries resolve quads in planar poly surfaces

When you have a hole in a poly surface with multiple loops on both directions, instead of using the Fill Hole tool to create a single face and connect the loops with multi-cut, it could automatically make quad draws if possible. This could be also added in "bridge".

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better snapping to curve

When using snap to curve (holding c or by toggling it) you are able to snap your selection to a curve or an edge, BUT, if you want to snap, like for instance a selection of edges on a given axis I need to select that axis and middle mouse button on that point on the curve and I need to do this several times to get my vertex more or less where I want. What I want is to grab my selection using the axis that I want and snap on the point (imaginary point) in the curve/edge where…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make animation key(s) ticks easier to select and duplicate on the timeline (Mockup attached)

Mock up provided.

Maya key ticks are out dated and could be way more user friendly.

You dont really select key frames ( ticks) on the timeline.
    they are pretty counter intuitive but we have gotten used to them.
    Newer users find it a bit clunky. my suggestions below;

Make the key ticks fill the frame they are on. ( like 3dsmax)

Allow users to just select and drag the key ticks around

Colour code what transforms have been keyed.

Allow a simple visualization or ghost of the Key ticks when you MMB drag out a hold or duplicate frame…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. render layer

The way maya 2016 displays active render layers is really confusing. Is black an active render layer, or is it disabled?

Maybe some form of colour indicating that a render layer is turned on other than black or make a deactivated render layer lighter or greyed out?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "render region" frame directly in viewport

Very often when I want to render a region, I don't see which part I'm going to see because the cropping is done in the render view.
    If it was done directly in the viewport (like in Blender), I would see exactly where I'm cropping it and wouldn't waste any render time

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. XGen to Geometry please

XGen has to be able to export it's outcome easily into poligonal geometry. Many things in there can be used for Games. Please consider that, we need XGen to be able to work with cards that can be exported EXACTLY like they where groomed and then UV'eed and used in conjunction with textures for game rez hair.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Let us still use the minimize, maximize icons when turning off Title bar

When turning off the title bar, there is no way to minimize the software anymore. In production as artists many times we need the vertical space too. The title bar it's a total waste of space. Being able to get rid of the title bar it's cool, but once you've done that maya it's stuck on the monitor with no way to minimize it anymore, as windows refuse to do it without the bar. Please let the minimize , maximize icons still survive in the upper corner without the title bar on, something like Photoshop does it. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. symmetry

please make the new way the symmetry works (actually "physically" selecting the other's side components) a choice.
    I prefered the old way. As now when you had symmetry on while selecting you can't just turn it off, and the other side would deselect with it.
    Which is very annoying and messes with a lot of workflows i have (i have a lot of own scripts that aid me in dealing with symmetry and resymmetrizing).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Function to bake nParticle instances into objects, making standalone meshes per instance

For importing dynamics animations into Keyshot, which doesn't handle anything except object level animation, it was necessary to bake the instanced objects into separate keyframed meshes. I was able to find a 3rd party script that did it, but it looked grim for a while.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Alembic exporter doesn't properly "Write Face Sets"

If I create a cube primitive and assign a phong shader, the shader engine of the Phong will be named phong1SG, ans should contain the shader assignments of the cube primitve.

If I export this as an alembic with the Write Face Sets ON and import it in a new scene the cube comes in with only the initialShadingGroup assigned to the cube, which is not the correct behaviour.

If I go back to the scene where I created the cube primitive and make new primitive f.ex a sphere. I select all the faces of the sphere primitive and assign…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow referencing of alembic GPU caches

Direct referencing of Alembic files is a really useful new feature but it would be really good to allow referencing of GPU Alembic caches because this would allow more flexible swapping of full caches to GPU caches.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Keep Script Editor search dialog on top of Script Editor Window

Keep script editor search dialog on top of script editor window.

Clicking the script editor window when the search dialog is open (and over the Script Editor Window), will then bring the Script Editor Window in front of the search dialog.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Paint Skin Weights: View colored weights while in 'Select Mode'

In the paint skin weights tool, you can view the colored weights if you are in 'Paint' or in 'Paint Select' mode. However, if you are in select mode - you cannot see the colorization.

If it was possibly made as a toggle, or a checkbox in the Preference menu, it could make vertex weight adjustment easier.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 44 45
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base