Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add custom shelf within the UV texture editor.

Add a custom shelf within the UV texture editor window. The UV texture editor is almost always open on a second monitor and it would be nice to have the customizable shelf within that window of your most used tools when doing UV work, instead of bouncing back and forth between seperate monitors.

Thanks,
    Nate

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bridge should work with un-equal edge number as well

The current bridge command has not enough options. Please add an option so we will be able to quickly bridge un-equal border edges. This could be fast and helpful for any modeller. The actual BonusTools>Modeling>Connect Border Edges is able to do that, but it's creating a new object and require extra steps to combine it and merge the vertices with the original object. Max is able to do that on the flow, Maya not. I attached 2 images as for example:

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2016 Ext2 Bevel Using Offset (World Units) Doesn't work as expected

When using bevel with "Offset as Fraction" turned off, Maya 2016 Ext2 gives wrong bevel widths. I have attached a comparison of Maya 2016 Ext2 and Maya 2015 (didn't check 2016). In the attached image, each cube is 100 units^3 and the same settings were used on each cube, one with fractional bevels of 0.5 and one with offset (world unit) bevels of 25. The actual bevel widths in Maya have never been perfect, but 24.997... is close enough to 25, but in Maya 2016 Ext2 the offset bevel is 35.351... which is obviously wrong. if we measure the bevels…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix: Maya 2016.5 needs lots of undo commands to undo 1 action

This was common in 2016 vanilla, and was fixed in SP versions, but the problem is back in Maya 2016.5
    When you undo an action, a lot of hypershade callbacks are listed as undo actions (should be automatic) and therefore you need to type Z at least 3 our 4 times to undo one step. Those callbacks function count as one undo to the system, so you need to keep twicking the undo limits to the infinity on the Preferences.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Image sequence "Loop" checkbox.

Please add a Loop check box next to "use image sequence"
    A simple solution to a time wasting annoyance of using expressions all the time.
    People who use hybrid animation cycles in Maya will appreciate.

many thanks.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Reference edit attributes should change color

When an object is referenced, and an attribute is changed in the scene it's referenced into, the color of the attribute name in the attribute editor should change so it is clear that the value has been changed. This is comparable to the way you can visually see an overridden attribute with render layers.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. New Channel box changes in 2016 Ext 2 are a step backwards.

I really don't see the point of the new Channel Box with the channels acting as sliders, for one thing with multiple objects selected the slider only affecting the last selected object which makes it much less useful (presumably that's a bug), for another the state of the slider is barely visible and this functionality is already there for years by MM dragging in the view, which gives you much more 'elbow room' in any case (sliding directly in the channel box feels much less accurate, especially when working with a pen on a tablet/Cintiq.. That's such a burned-in muscle…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. make character sets work with values over 360 in maya 2016

create a cube- create a character set containing the cube.
    set a key on frame 0 with roty value 0, go to frame 10 and set another keyframe with value 500- step forward and back a frame and notice that maya has changed 500 to a random value between 0 and 360.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Create new object at same xyz as selected object

If you have something selected, and you create a new object like a locator, nave option to put it at same coords as the selected object.

Wonder if that can already be done?
    Thanks

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. UV editor needs a complete fix

UV editor is being a problem since Maya 2012. There are a lots of issues regarding it, and here are some of them that urgently need fix:

1- Here is a situation - You finish editing the UVs of the scene objects. Then you use the viewport smooth (1 or 3 on keyboard) to preview the final object. When you hit those keys, the UVs jump back to the previous position before you have finished editing it. There is no way to workaround it, only pinning the UVs, but as soon you modify the object and the UVs again, the…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I would like the reference editor have an option to ignore duplicate nested references

It's common in my work to use a couple of base reference files throughout a project, so it is VERY common to accidentally create nested duplicate references of these base files when creating references.

Simply ignoring nested duplicate references should be the default behavior I think i.e. when you import/create a newly referenced file, and it already contains within it references that already exist in the file you are currently working in they should be disregarded.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "Fill Hole" and "Bridge" that automatically tries resolve quads in planar poly surfaces

When you have a hole in a poly surface with multiple loops on both directions, instead of using the Fill Hole tool to create a single face and connect the loops with multi-cut, it could automatically make quad draws if possible. This could be also added in "bridge".

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Render Settings: Start/End Frame By (rendered) Camera

I think having just one overall Start/End Frame range, when we can have several renderable cameras is not convenient.

The interface should provide a separate Start/End Frame attributes for each renderable camera in existance (or probably several ranges per camera).
    That way it should be far easier to render a complex scene without having to save several versions of the scene, just for settings different frame ranges for each camera.

Thanks for listening!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve copying keys in Graph Editor

Copying/Pasting keyframes in Graph Editor should be easier.
    I'd do that by simply:

1. Adding "Copy", "Paste" and "Paste Connected" to the contextual menu.
    2. Adding hotkeys to the Copy and Paste functions of the Edit menu (Graph Editor).

Thanks for listening!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Limit Material Viewer CPU Usage

I like having the Material Viewer open, and the addition of the pause option is nice, but it would be great if you could specify a number of cores that can work on the material viewer, so you can work on other things while the preview works.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Keep Custom Axis Active

I can't recall if it used to be like this, but I think it did. I wish that after setting a custom axis with set to edge or face or something, it would remain on that axis until you intentionally switch back to world or object. Now if I make a new selection of edges on the same mesh after making a custom axis, it switches back to world or local axis instead of remaining on the axis I created.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. MASH "Random Node" is Buggy

I'm running into an issue using the Random Node in MASH. (This however is NOT an issue when using the animated Noise node.- but if you don't want objects to move you have to use the Random node as far as I understand)

Basically when I have a bunch of radially distributed clones, I want to randomize them, and I add the Random Node, if I set the maximum, the randomizer pulls all the clones towards +Y and +X, and If I change the minimum distance, they're pulled towards -Y and -X. I've attached some screen shots to demonstrate the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Select UV set in place 2D texture node.

Have a dropdown selector in the place 2D texture node to select UV set for each texture. Current Relationship editor setup is cumbersome and seems to ignore textures connected to displacement.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 45 46
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base