Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Modeling Tool Kit in 2016 missing Critical Features from previous versions

Integration of the modeling toolkit / NEX tool in 2016 is missing some important functionality.

First, the slide functionality that was mapped to the Control + Shift MMB has been removed. This function was extremely important to an efficient modeling workflow. Surface constraint - Slide, and other workarounds are not good enough. Please add the Ctrl + Shift MMB back to the transform manipulators in component mode.

Secondly, Preselection Highlighting, which is now called Highlight Nearest Component does not make the component active this feature allowed for very fast mesh editing without having to select the component explicitly.

Move along…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back the toolbar icon style from Maya 2015.

The new single-color toolbar icons in Maya 2016 are hard to distinguish from one another, and slow down the user's workflow.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. make extrude divisions work in more objects like maya 2014

in maya 2014 when I select multiple object not attach if I extrude and use division it work for all object . but in maya 2016 if I select multiple objects the divisons only work for one object not all .

2014:
    http://i.imgur.com/A6wWCZw.png

2016:
    http://i.imgur.com/KSdhs7j.png

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Select UV's is not correct

Dear Autodesk, please fix critical bug.

How to repeat bug?

1) Select one of components to UV's Shell, face, edge or vertex.

2) Apply command: "Select UV Shell".

Object selected full, and not a single shell.

P.S. UV'v vertex works fine.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Can't select loop or row, or element, or range of loop or row when raycasting selection

In Maya 2015 you could use the raycast selection tools, or in other words, the camera based paint selection, to do all the selection tricks that you could do with the regular marquee selection.

As in:
    1. Double click in face mode selects the element

2. Selecting a face and then holding down cntl and shift and clicking the adjacent face would select the row or loop going in the direction you chose.

3.Selecting a face and then holding down cntl and shift and clicking a non adjacent face would select a range between where you first clicked and where…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pivots only snap relatively when translating in a single axis

Before Maya 2016 you were able to snap the pivots of multiple objects to the floor by constraining along one axis once "retain component spacing" was unchecked.

Now the pivots only seem to move relatively when constrained to a single axis while trying to snap to the grid or a point. If you use the center handle on the pivot, all will snap to a point or grid point like expected.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. add ability to pan and drag nodes/connections at the same time (like in nuke)

its hard to connect nodes that are distant to each other, so we need some way to grab a connection and pan node view at the same time for example by pressing and holding alt key at the time of dragging.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. All zoomable UIs should zoom on the mouse cursor position

Many Maya UIs, eg. the viewport and node editor, zoom around the mouse cursor. Others always zoom on the center, like the animation editors and profiler. It's disorienting, and requires the user to switch modes going from window to window. The graph editor would be a lot nicer to navigate if it zoomed like the node editor.

If this is done, there should probably be a preference to switch behaviors (excluding the viewport), since some people do prefer the center-zoom behavior.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Connect components stop moving my verts

The new version of connect components does a weird thing where it tries to move your vert's and edges, I don't know what its trying to do but I don't like it.

I frequently use this tools to split faces making a quick controlled edge loop, or to connect 2 verts with a new edge. I don't want them moved. It messes up my vert placement.
    Leave my verts and edges where they were. If I want them moved I'll move them myself.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Save maya file 2016 to lower version

please refer to pic ! We upgraded to 2016 but we still have some clients prefer the source file return in Maya 2014.

Autodesk should consider this when pushing customer to upgrade or purchase latest version.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Higher Viewport 2.0 Anti-aliasing sample count for Maya on OS X.

I don't believe this is a limitation of OS X or it's implementation of OpenGL, so being able to use a sample count higher than 8 would be very beneficial for some of the pre-vis work I do. If it is possible to up this to 16 or even 32 that would be fantastic.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback !

Maya 2016 suppose to be work with frozen UVs ane selected UVs.
    Meaning, if you freeze some UVs then select UVs and perform Unfold, you should see freezon UVs are not unfold while the position changes so the UV still fit in the 0-1 UV space. Also you can select some UVs and unfold, the unselected UVs maintain the shape.

Do these work for you?

14. ramp shader /facing ratio combo

I think i'm really tired of setting up , or using presets from a library to create Fresnel ramps, direction based ramps or other kinds of ramps that read geometry or light direction.
    Please give to us, a solution out of the box.

Thanks!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Hotbox camera and redraw issue....

The Hotbox is not allowing me to switch camera views... The option is no longer available on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), running OSX 10.10.5 (Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB).

Also, I occasionally experience a problem with redraw, when deleting history on geometry. On occasion, it appears to be smoothed and infinitely dense geo. When saved and reopened, it looks normal. Sometimes a combination of isolation, delete history, and smooth preview can cause the redraw issue. The problem is consistent, but infrequent enough to just be annoying, not as frequent as it was in SP1.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Selecting a single edge is now impossible in UV Editor.

It will ALSO selects the edge related to the edge I've just selected.

I do NOT want this behaviour, I used to be able to select entire edge-loops this way and still only have it selecting from the shell that I clicked on. I would really like this behaviour back. Maya 2016 has added 20% nightmare to my workflow purely by doing this.

Maya should not make such assumptions about what my current task is. I am doing art that by design MUST have awkward UVs, For such a task, I need full control of my UVs, like I have…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Selecting curves with lasso can take up to one hour

..if there are many curves like hair output curves.

Selecting CVs of the same curves is fast, so this should be easily fixable by just using the same code (If you have the cvs, you have the curve too)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Constrain Closest Point should leaves the input locator selected instead of the output

After creating the constraint and two locators you would almost always need to select the input locator and move or parent it. There's very little point to having the constrained locator selected at this point. Please switch it around.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. visual cosmetic appearances adjustments

Assign a new ramp material logo (coloured radiantly circle) is out of order between his other "friends" it can be changed into greyish or at least change them to pastel, the red looks like and "eye icon", and it's very attracting to the viewer, like splash of ink..." like some dirt left on the screen" very annoying overtime i change to the Rendering menu.

/Users/faridkerba/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 06.14.52.png

the following rectangle should not appear when we are closing the application even when we didn't touch a thing, just open and close., Matya must directly close not ask us to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base