Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them against the “Unique to Maya LT” category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need a way to change Attribute Editor floating point precision

Maya's Attribute Editor UI always rounds to 3 decimals. You can change the ChannelBox precision, but there is no way to modify the AE precision.

This is incredibly frustrating as we commonly have rendering/solver parameters as small as 0.0005, and in the UI it just looks like 0.0. So looking at the node, we have no idea if it's actually 0, or if it's just a small value.

It's a pain in the butt to have to use MEL/Python commands to query the value to get up to 6 decimals. And you have to use the C++/Python-bindings if you want…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set Project location is remembered when a file is re-opened

Currently the scope of the set project function is only within the current working session. Every time a file is opened - regardless of which location was chosen previously as it's working project - it is set to whatever was in use by the previous maya scene that was open in that session. Aside from rendering the function essentially useless, it creates a mess when rendering using scene tokens. unless you set the path explicitly the render will always into the project that was set when the file was saved... even if it hadn't been set in that working session.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Selection Tool Black Screen

How do I fix the problem with the Selection Tool, when trying to select components the screen turns black? Please help

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. better Quick Select Sets function.

in Houdini 14, quick select operation is simple and good. please look at the pictures and compare the differences.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. skin tab

In older versions of maya you guys had the skin tab where i can do smooth bind but now it doesnt show up anywhere. is it somewhere hidden? if so please tell me where. and if it is just gone please bring it back because i need it for a project im working on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Primary Visibility to ImagePlanes

Instead of having to hack in a plane or turn the whole thing off, it would be better to have a Primary Visibility flag on ImagePlanes.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Kill the TURTLE

The TURTLE plugin is driving us crazy here at WETA Workshop. We want to turn it off but deselecting Auto Load doesn't work! It just keeps coming back, re-creating the Turtle shelf and populating our scenes with Turtle nodes that we have to unlock and delete all the time.

Please fix this VERY ANNOYING THING. We don't want Turtle, it's shelf, or it's nodes in our scenes!!!

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. New pivot point tool hard can be fiddly to translate

In Maya 2015 the pivot tool now has a rotate manipulator. This can make moving the pivot point fiddly.

If the pivot points needs moving some time you have to move the camera slight and/or take care selecting it so as not to select the rotate manipulator.

It would be good if the rotate manipulator within the pivot point tool could be disabled. Working around it can slow down the entire modelling process.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Vertex selection is not accurate. 2015

The vertex selection doesn't select the correct vertex when I hover over and/or click on it. If I'm working on complex meshes it stops me from selecting a vertex, even if my mouse is right over the vertex I want to select, this severely slows my modeling down. I just want to be able to select the vertex I click on.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Capacity to handle scenes with many objects without slowness

Scenes with 1000 objects or more, or high poly objects slow down the program, a simple task of select one of them takes minutes and sometimes we have to kill the process, loosing all the progress made.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. UV Editor: Convert Selection for Unfold

In the UV Editor when I have an object selected (or a bunch of faces, ...) and want to "Unfold", nothing happens.
    Unfold doesn't convert any selections to UVs.
    That's very annoying. Please fix it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Show selected objects with a green outline in shaded mode

I suggest that selected objects in shaded mode be shown with a green outline instead of showing them with wireframe. (like cinema 4d)
    In this way it will be easier to see the surface of the objects, specially in vertex mode!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bring back the different "Draw Style" options for joints that got removed in 2014

Previously you could choose from between ~10 different draw styles. Now you can only draw "Bone", "Multi-Child as Box" or "None".

Drawing the Head and/or Jaw joints as a NURBS plane allowed to easily manipulate the bone and not having to see all the cluttered links to its many child joints. Could also be solved by adding a "Draw link" bool to joints like it was recently added to Motionbuilder.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix menus disappearing too quickly when the mouse moves away from them

When the mouse moves out of a menu, the menu disappears almost instantly. It looks like the delay is around 200ms. This is much slower than the standard Windows delay. It makes everyday navigation of Maya's menus an absolute nightmare: hover the mouse over a menu, the menu appears, then unless you're absolutely precise as you move the mouse to the opened submenu, the menu disappears and you have to start all over. It makes using Maya a constant headache.

When in Windows, Maya should use the standard delay Windows uses. It should probably use something a little higher or…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Game Exporter takes / options tied to an object

Often in game dev your Maya scene might have more than 1 objects that you want to export. Sometimes you have 100. Manually renaming the FBX export file in the Game Exporter can become very tedious.

If you have already exported this asset once and your iterating it, and your overwriting your file in your Unity project, manually typing the name and having it match up to successfully replace leaves a large margin for error.

At minimum we need a file browser dialogue on that to circumvent this. Bit ideally something cleverer that uses the mesh node name for the…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Snap using two axis constraints (like in Max) rather than just one at a time.

Make it so you can for example - align a vert to another in two axis by holding the little square on the move tool that corresponds to the two axis you want to move the vert in, then move to the vert you want to align to holding the 'v' key. This works when moving in one axis at a time, so why not two? It's something I need a lot when building things like game environment collision mesh where edges need to be square for our context moves to work in game.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Right-click to select on object selection (ie to select face/object/vertex/edge etc) is off screen

When I select an object and then right-click to see the menu options the top part of that list (ie select face/vertex/ etc) does not display on the screen, but is off the top of the monitor, and only the bottom of the list is displayed.

Sometimes if I mouse over the bottom end of the list, the top bit appears!

I don't think it's my settings/computer as it worked just fine before this version of Maya. (2015)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Batch name render passes

When I create a render which has several passes my tutor told me I have to open each pass, one by one, to name them. This is incredibly time-consuming and tedious. Can we please have a batch name function like when we are rendering multiple frames?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Import Layers from Autocad, illustrator, FBX etc

On Maya 2012 when you import an ACAD file, all the layers are imported as well. since 2013 the layers are imported, but all the objects are NOT linked to them.

Layers should be considered for .AI, .FBX, and any other format that supports layers. Right now they aren't

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base