Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My studio is going back to maya 2016 - massive viewport and QT problems impeding work

Too many problems to describe. We have a room full of advanced Maya users each with 10-20 years of maya experience, and we are fed up with maya 2017. Its a product with great new features but its so broken on the interface and display / prefs side that it makes daily work really unenjoyable and inefficient.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Maya 2017 Workspace: Docked editors don't keep their size when re-opened

When I reduce an editor (like Channelbox) and than reopen it, its size is different from before.
    Here is a screenshot.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The pattern where you ship a new product with a thousand bugs, fix half of them, then ship a new product with a thousand bugs...

Why don't you just have three years of bugfixing. Leave it to the marketing guys to make it sound sexy.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2017 The toolbox on the left only has options for 3 layouts now instead of 6. All that empty space!

I make a lot of layouts depending on what I'm doing.
    I found that 6 wasn't enough, but now with 2017 upgrade, there are only 3 in the left hand side tool box.
    Why reduce functionality?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. File browser inside Maya, Thumbnail generation

When you choose an image-file, e.g. for a file-node to use it for lighting, or for an imageplane.
    You click the file and depending on size it takes a while for the preview in the file-browser to show up.
    If you don't need this preview and you know it is _this_ file you want, and immediately click/doubleclick on this file, to choose it, this doubleclick won't "pass" (and do what it should) unless it already has a thumbnail.

So my point is: doubleclick on a file should, with or without a thumbnail, choose this file, not activate the thumbnail-generation-process, like…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Maya 2017: Can't type in decimal numbers in Attribute Editor

We have three guys at our studio that have all started using Maya 2017 and none of us can enter decimal numbers in the Attribute Editor.
    I've deleted the Maya preference file, but it did not help.
    Please fix it.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. channelBox colors should fill field

pre 2016.5 the "colors" of the channel box were 100% filled.
    please bring that back, the new style is confusing , and certain channels like vis and enums are 100% filled as "unkeyable" but actually aren't unkeyable. also often artist use enum as channel box spacers.. this is no longer a valid workflow, as locked channels are not displayed across the field

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hypershade - Consistency with Property / attribute editors

Hypershade - So many things..Work area and consistency with attribute / property editors

Have nodes in the work area have consistent labeling with the property and attribute editors. Make other input/outputs clearer.

Add the buttons to crawl inputs/ outputs from the attribute editor to the hypershade based property editor (see image). I shouldn't have to click around in the work area graph or use the attribute editor in the main window to crawl through nodes.

Have a button to make ALL (nor just the selected node's thumbnail) enlarge by default in the work area.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. MAYA 2017 shelf icons are being drawn at different sizes

This looks really unprofessional. Have a look at the attached screen grab and the tiny hypershade icon

Please can we have them displayed at consistent sizes

cheers!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Auto save in Student Edition - Popup

When you're running the Student Edition and have autosave turned on, you get a dialog to confirm that this is a file created by the student-edition, to not use it commercially, etc.
    The problem is that this dialog seems to appear on the most recently used display (?); which means that if I have say a video running on screen 2 and Maya on screen 1, but I'm not watching screen 2, then said dialog blocks Maya and I have no idea why, until by chance I glance over to my 2nd monitor. I've spend several minutes, many times, thinking…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Crash at bevel in Component mode

Consider I have 4 boxes. In component mode I select all edges and apply bevel. It shows the option box and maya is stuck there. I can't do anything.

Maybe I am doing it wrong. Shouldn't do it in component mode rather do it in object mode. One at a time.
    Just wanted to note that this occurred to me.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Debug Shading Dropdown too short in Arnold Render View

In the Arnold Render View, make the Debug-Shading-dropdown (the one you can optionally enable to be displayed in the View-menu) long enough to incorporate all options. For me, the dropdown is just long enough so that the last option, Isolate Selected, isn't visible anymore and I have to scroll each time to select it, and scroll up again to go back to Shading.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Well animating if you make a change then play the animation undoing can take up to 100+ undos to fix.

For example, if I delete some keys in the graph editor, then proceed to playback my animation to see if I like the changes or not. If I try to undo what I just did. I have to undo as many times as there were frames played it seems like, the more I watch my animation the more i have to undo.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Isolation mode needs to auto-include things created afterwards

When entering isolation mode in a complex scene I often want to create or add another detail or draw a curve without an obstructed view. Sadly isolation mode keeps the newly created assets invisible which defeats the purpose in this specific case. It would be much more useful if the feature would automatically include newly created objects.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Poly to Subdiv conversion utterly broken in 2017

How to replicate. 1 Create any polygon primitive. 2 Scale it a little and move it away from its original position. 3 Hit poly to subdiv and watch the craziness. I tested it on two totally different machines on two different OS. The more complex the model the weirder the result

Autodesk fix this and while you are at it: please, make it finally keep hard corners.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make it possible for a node not to inherit its parent's visibility

It is often frustrating to have a node inherit it's parent's visibility. For instance, during the rigging process I often want to hide the joints of a character's arm without hiding his finger joints. A checkbox in Settings & Preferences for 'Inherit Visibility' would be great. There is no workaround to this problem, as far as I know.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make all nodes visible in Hypershade

There is no good reason I can see for not letting us see all nodes in the Hypershade. I frequently attach shading nodes to rig controls etc and it is really confusing when they don't show up. There isn't even a switch to allow this. There is a switch in the Node editor to view shading nodes, but I really don't see why it isn't on by default. Since when did id make things easier when stuff is hidden from view?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Making people vote for "small annyoing things" is a public relation strategy, and it pisses me off.

Bugs and "small annoying things" are things that should have been sorted out by your quality control.
    Making people vote for "small annyoing things" is a public relation strategy, and it pisses me off.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ubuntu/Debian support

More popular than redhat/centos.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Better automatic camera-based selection

Automatic camera-based selection that turns on and off dependant on the component type, instead of just between x-ray views.

Currently working with geometry that has backfaces, (I.e Interiors)
    is a huge pain, because you can't select objects within that object unless the option is enabled, but then when it's enabled you can't select components that are occluded by the camera or some other object.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 51 52
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base