Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them in the Maya LT specific Small Annoying Things forum.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2016 Ext2 Bevel Using Offset (World Units) Doesn't work as expected

When using bevel with "Offset as Fraction" turned off, Maya 2016 Ext2 gives wrong bevel widths. I have attached a comparison of Maya 2016 Ext2 and Maya 2015 (didn't check 2016). In the attached image, each cube is 100 units^3 and the same settings were used on each cube, one with fractional bevels of 0.5 and one with offset (world unit) bevels of 25. The actual bevel widths in Maya have never been perfect, but 24.997... is close enough to 25, but in Maya 2016 Ext2 the offset bevel is 35.351... which is obviously wrong. if we measure the bevels…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Fill Hole" and "Bridge" that automatically tries resolve quads in planar poly surfaces

When you have a hole in a poly surface with multiple loops on both directions, instead of using the Fill Hole tool to create a single face and connect the loops with multi-cut, it could automatically make quad draws if possible. This could be also added in "bridge".

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. New Channel box changes in 2016 Ext 2 are a step backwards.

I really don't see the point of the new Channel Box with the channels acting as sliders, for one thing with multiple objects selected the slider only affecting the last selected object which makes it much less useful (presumably that's a bug), for another the state of the slider is barely visible and this functionality is already there for years by MM dragging in the view, which gives you much more 'elbow room' in any case (sliding directly in the channel box feels much less accurate, especially when working with a pen on a tablet/Cintiq.. That's such a burned-in muscle…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. make it easier to quit out of multi-cut tool

The multi-cut tool is overly difficult to quit out of. For instance, tweaking with the ` key or choosing a different component mode (edge, vert etc) should quit out of the tool, or maybe in the case of tweaking, should bring about a stickey-key behaviour where the tool is active when the shortcut is pressed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. UV editor needs a complete fix

UV editor is being a problem since Maya 2012. There are a lots of issues regarding it, and here are some of them that urgently need fix:

1- Here is a situation - You finish editing the UVs of the scene objects. Then you use the viewport smooth (1 or 3 on keyboard) to preview the final object. When you hit those keys, the UVs jump back to the previous position before you have finished editing it. There is no way to workaround it, only pinning the UVs, but as soon you modify the object and the UVs again, the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Import only selected objects from another scene

When I import a scene there are some options, but what I'd really like is an outliner to pick and choose what items I want to import from the given scene. 3dsMax does this really well and even offers to parent the selected object the same as an option.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Modeling Toolkit has focus issue after clicking on tool in custom shelf

I use the custom shelf at the bottom of the Modeling Toolkit for my heavily used scripts. When you click on one of your buttons the Toolkit remains in focus and you need to click within the viewport to focus that again. Super frustrating.

Example:
    1) Click a button that toggles all backface culling
    2) I now want change from move to rotate so I click E
    3) Nothing happens because the toolkit is still in focus
    4) click somewhere in viewport, then click E

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enter component mode for active objects ONLY

Please make a checkbox in the preference menu that only allows you to select components on the objects that you first have selected in "Object Mode" (see attatched image).

Whenever I do modelling I always select the geometry I want to work on in "Object Mode" first. Therefore I find it extremely disruptive that I end up selecting components on other objects in the scene just because my mouse cursor is over another object. If I need to select components on other objects (something I rarely ever find the need for) I am perfectly fine with selecting them in Object…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Skin weight mirroring using intermediate shape

Skin mirroring should have an option to use the intermediate shape (usually standing undeformed in the world origin) for surface matching. It would be usefull when skinning on a test animation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Retian symmetry after save

Make a model with symmetry (I used topological), save, then re-open the project and the symmetry is gone.

This can be v. annoying as you may end up working on a model that you remember has symmetry applied, only to find that when you look at the other side, the symmetry is screwed.

The symmetry state of objects should be saved with the scene.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Remove word 'Search...' from the Outliner in future release

Can we remove the word 'Search...' from the Outliner in a future release once everyone knows what its for. The word 'Search...' is distracting and cluttering.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Scale Tool - Prevent Negative Scale on UV

Hi,

Scale Tool now has an option to prevent negative scale on components when used inside the viewport. This allows to easily flatten them by scaling to zero, without manipulator handle going in the opposite direction of the pivot.

However, this option isn't available when using Scale Tool in UV Editor to scale UVs. It would be nice to extend support for this option for the Scale Tool inside UV Editor too, as this will allow to flatten the UVs at the average point (default selection pivot) or to any arbitrary point (modified pivot position). Basically this will allow to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Filtering in the Plug-in manager

We all have a lot of plugins, and when I am looking for a specific plugin to load, it's always a pain to find it, in the long list.

It would be great to have some filtering, so we could type the start of the plugin name, or a part of it, and it would just show the plugin which names are matching the filter I entered.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to save reference edits directly in its own reference file as I am editing a file

Currently when I have a reference in maya, I can make edits to it, but the refEdits are saved in the master scene.
    I can then save the edits to a file for a later import, but it doesn't always work, and I don't have a clean scene ready when I am done working.

Here is a scenario : It would be great to be able to have a reference loaded, like a rig. And start to sculpt blendShapes and author facial rigging, for instance, and have those shapes and edits go directly into their own reference scene, as I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. moving refEdits to referenced scene

It would be great to be able to move refEdits to a reference scene that is loaded. Then maya would offer to save the reference scene as a different file, and have the reference point to it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please add a Vertex Reorder tool.

If there are two meshes with the same topology a tool that will allow me to match the vert order of one to the other.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. please don't delete "Create -> Text" tool, It can handle all the fonts.

please don't delete "Create -> Text" tool, It can handle all the fonts. new "Create -> Type" tool can not handle special fonts, such as "webdings".

please check on Attach File, or Google Photo:
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMuf9qNwSBC-MfNxKrVlZoWGcxx8gBN7qJWg3ns

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. ViewCube disappears in Viewport 2.0 in Maya

ViewCube disappears in Viewport 2.0 in Maya

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. outliner menus are not context sensitive

It's great to have functionality like "select set members" and "export as reference" directly in the right click menu.

However I find the right click menu should be context sensitive and adapt to the selection. This would mean (for example) showing "select set members" only for sets, not for any kind of object.

other examples:

For constraints, it could show: * select constrained, * select constraining

For objects it could show: * delete, * duplicate

And lots more.

The outliner could (and should imo) become the core of user interaction.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 43 44
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base