Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them against the “Unique to Maya LT” category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ramp shader /facing ratio combo

I think i'm really tired of setting up , or using presets from a library to create Fresnel ramps, direction based ramps or other kinds of ramps that read geometry or light direction.
    Please give to us, a solution out of the box.

Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Installing SP1 for Maya 2016 takes more time than Uninstall -> Install

Installing the new SP1 for Maya 2016 takes ages.
    Uninstalling Maya 2016 - 4 min
    Installing Maya 2016 - 9 min (including transfer of files)
    Installing Maya 2016 SP1 (Only SP1) - 25 min

I like the idea of having patches. But if they take such long time to install then Ill rather uninstall old version, install new and after that drink a cup of coffee (still faster than installing just a patch).

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bring back Shift Extrude

2015,2014 has shift extrude. 2016 removed it. please bring it back.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Don't hide black boxed assets unless they're inside a reference

Black boxing an asset always hides its contents and shows the asset interface instead. This is what you want if you're a user of the asset and you've referenced it in, but if you're editing the asset itself you want to see the contents. This means that you have to uncheck black boxed every time you open an asset, then remember to check it again before saving. It would be nice to have an option to show black boxed assets as long as they're in the top-level scene, so you can edit assets more easily.

(If an asset references another…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add ability to pan and drag nodes/connections at the same time (like in nuke)

its hard to connect nodes that are distant to each other, so we need some way to grab a connection and pan node view at the same time for example by pressing and holding alt key at the time of dragging.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. double clicking a node in hypershade should open attribute editor

double-clicking a node in hypershade workspace should open regular attribute editor and display node attributes (also with selection sync turned off) - exactly like node editor works.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Maya 2016 In View Editor's need to have the same functionality as the Channel Box

The new Maya 2016 IVE's need to have the same functionality as the Channel Box where you can select multiple input fields and change the value once for all the selected fields.

i.e. Using Ctrl or Shift to select multiple input fields

Regards

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Layout that save all the interface at the same time

I really need Maya to start saving layout of every single panel.
    Not just the viewport config.
    Things on the second monitor are really important.
    Things like preset layouts are also valide.
    Your doing them right on 3dsmax ( although its has now more than enough templates! )

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. YOU LISTENED... THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH...and +

THANK YOU BECAUSE YOU LISTENED FOR MAKING THE INTERFACE LESS AGGRESSIVE WITH THE PASTEL COLORS FOR THE MENUS. LOVE IT ALL. THE CATEGORISATION STAGE SEEMS TO BE GETTING BETTER... DEFINITELY NEEDS MORE ATTENTION, BUT NOW IT'S BETTER, STILL WILL ALWAYS INPUT YOU WITH MY THOUGHTS, THERE ARE THE OPTIONS LIKE: apply "..." to this (xyz) or import export"..." to "..." those must be own an "intelligent automation" = I mean, once the elements selected we should directly chose what to apply, not to go to the menu and choose import/export> another menu>another menu..., for the sole menus like the ones…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Need a way to change Attribute Editor floating point precision

Maya's Attribute Editor UI always rounds to 3 decimals. You can change the ChannelBox precision, but there is no way to modify the AE precision.

This is incredibly frustrating as we commonly have rendering/solver parameters as small as 0.0005, and in the UI it just looks like 0.0. So looking at the node, we have no idea if it's actually 0, or if it's just a small value.

It's a pain in the butt to have to use MEL/Python commands to query the value to get up to 6 decimals. And you have to use the C++/Python-bindings if you want…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. move tool forgets selected plane

Since Maya 2015 the move tool has these new handle squares to interact within a plane of 2 dimensions. When you click one and change the selecection the plane is unselected again and it's switched to the screen plane again :(
    In Maya 2014 you can select however you like: the selected plane keeps the same. So you can for instance move stuff around on the ground plane via mmb. Now in Maya 2015 you're always moving stuff up and down as well or you click the frigging plane thingy again and again ...
    Still the single dimensions also on…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Don't sprinkle "FBXASC032" everywhere in imports

Maya's FBX importer replaces characters that aren't allowed in node names with "FBXASC###". On every FBX import I've ever done, this happens to every single node, since most other programs use spaces in node names. This makes everyone have to do a bunch of search/replace after every import. This even happens when using "Send to..." directly between AutoDesk products.

Add a special case for common characters: turn spaces into underscores, and just remove # which is common in materials ("Map #1"). This creating naming conflicts seems uncommon (if your file has both "Bone_Arm" and "Bone Arm", you're asking for trouble),…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix duplicate with transform

Please fix Duplicate with transform, as it stands it does not work with rotational transforms, and with standard translates it works until you move the camera

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. torn off camera reselection

it would be nice to have the ability to change a torn off camera from within a torn off view.
    that is, to have the marking menu>panels>persp option available or at least have the marking menu's 'space+upswipe' cycle through the persp cameras

thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow layer override for "Filter Size" in the "Quality" tab of the render settings (Maya 2016)

I often need to render a separate depth pass layer for compositing using Frischluft Lenscare. When I do this I need to render that layer without antialiasing. I change the sampling mode to "Legacy Sampling Mode", the min an max sample levels to 0, and the Filter Size both to 1. I can't do a layer override for the filter size so I have to save out a separate file before sending it to our render farm. Please allow layer overrides on the filter size option in the render settings.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. MILA Materials glossy reflection needs a slider to adjust glow intensity

Maya 2016 apparently added a glow effect to the glossy reflection layer when using MILA materials. I can't find a way to turn it off other than turning off all glow effects with the shaderGlow1 material. The idea of a glow option for MILA materials sounds fine, but I'd like to be able to turn it off just as I would with a lambert, blinn, or phong material. Also the default glow intensity should be "0".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Set Project location is remembered when a file is re-opened

Currently the scope of the set project function is only within the current working session. Every time a file is opened - regardless of which location was chosen previously as it's working project - it is set to whatever was in use by the previous maya scene that was open in that session. Aside from rendering the function essentially useless, it creates a mess when rendering using scene tokens. unless you set the path explicitly the render will always into the project that was set when the file was saved... even if it hadn't been set in that working session.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base