Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them against the “Unique to Maya LT” category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MILA Materials glossy reflection needs a slider to adjust glow intensity

Maya 2016 apparently added a glow effect to the glossy reflection layer when using MILA materials. I can't find a way to turn it off other than turning off all glow effects with the shaderGlow1 material. The idea of a glow option for MILA materials sounds fine, but I'd like to be able to turn it off just as I would with a lambert, blinn, or phong material. Also the default glow intensity should be "0".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set Project location is remembered when a file is re-opened

Currently the scope of the set project function is only within the current working session. Every time a file is opened - regardless of which location was chosen previously as it's working project - it is set to whatever was in use by the previous maya scene that was open in that session. Aside from rendering the function essentially useless, it creates a mess when rendering using scene tokens. unless you set the path explicitly the render will always into the project that was set when the file was saved... even if it hadn't been set in that working session.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. crash and better save

Man, Maya need urgent a better way to handle crashes and saves. I lost overtime my last moments just because this is not write correctly. Look to apple products, they don't need me to save, they save automatically. and if a crash occurs (and i can say occur a lot, LOT #$%#$%), they came back with all save. With Maya, even knowing i have auto save, incremental save each 10 minutes, i already lost more than that time. It's annoying. And fix this dam crashes! All! Make it stable. This is the most important thing, more important then keep putting…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Need a way to change Attribute Editor floating point precision

Maya's Attribute Editor UI always rounds to 3 decimals. You can change the ChannelBox precision, but there is no way to modify the AE precision.

This is incredibly frustrating as we commonly have rendering/solver parameters as small as 0.0005, and in the UI it just looks like 0.0. So looking at the node, we have no idea if it's actually 0, or if it's just a small value.

It's a pain in the butt to have to use MEL/Python commands to query the value to get up to 6 decimals. And you have to use the C++/Python-bindings if you want…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. better Quick Select Sets function.

in Houdini 14, quick select operation is simple and good. please look at the pictures and compare the differences.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "DialogBox" doesn't Sync with new Hotkeys!

if you change your default hotkey's that shown in dialoge box, such as ctrl+spacebar to alt+ctrl+spacebar,it doesn'ts shown to Yellow Dialoge box!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Where did the change module marking menu go? old "h"...

Miss the old "h" button. If you really want to have hide there without "ctrl" can´t we have it somewhere else?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Selection Tool Black Screen

How do I fix the problem with the Selection Tool, when trying to select components the screen turns black? Please help

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring the trash icon back

The trash icon to remove items from custom shelves disappeared in maya 2016, pleas bring it back

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Timeline stops interpolating between frames. This shuold be fixed.

when placing a new key frame between two other keys the new one will override the others stopping the transition between one frame to the next. To make thing work again I have to exit the program and then open it again to make the timeline work the way it should.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Xgen Archives

In order to use a custom texture down the road with Xgen archives, before you create the archive you must assign any random shader other than lambert1 to the archive before creating it. Otherwise, the archive will not accept any custom file textures down the road through custom color attributes. The shader features should not be limited down the pipeline because the default shader is applied to an archive before creation. This should also be included in all documentation relating to using textures and custom color attributes to xgen while using archives.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bring back Shift Extrude

2015,2014 has shift extrude. 2016 removed it. please bring it back.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add ability to see effect of IBL light & shade direction in Viewport 2.0.

As of Maya 2016 we are unable to see the real time effect of image based lighting maps in viewport 2.0. We have to keep rendering out frames to see what the light & shadow contribution really are in a scene. It would be a major boost in productivity to be able to see this contribution in real time as the IBL node is rotated in the scene.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. [BUG] : camera stuck on focus custom nodes, it freezes center of interest

for instance: create muscle spline, select hierarchy, press F do zoom camera on it (or just cMuscleSplineSpline node or other custom nodes), it stuck camera center of interest,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. fix Camera Clip Plane problems

camera clip plane often made bad view result, i know that can be set a large Near Clip Plane value to fix it (like 10 or 100), but it Is not a perfect solution. when i zoom in or zoom out, i need adjusting this value again.

So I hope to have a new "view engine (maybe Viewport 2.1)" can fix it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. skin tab

In older versions of maya you guys had the skin tab where i can do smooth bind but now it doesnt show up anywhere. is it somewhere hidden? if so please tell me where. and if it is just gone please bring it back because i need it for a project im working on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. select UV shell

I use the select UVShell command as both a useful uv'ing tool as well as a selection tool when modelling. In 2016 Ive found that the command doesnt work the way it used to, namely it selects the entire sub object and not the UVShell as expected. Can this be put back please?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. set track tool to right mouse button for scroll wheel mice

mice with scroll wheel can dolly (zoom) via the wheel. while tracking using the same wheel as button is tedious. let us set the track tool (pan) to the right mouse button and the dolly to the wheel (at least as an option)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. multi thread the Autosave feature

So that it can save in the background.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base