Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix. Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya 2014, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Read Cory’s blog for more details.

Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas).

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Surface Extrude with level 1 curve

Model a cornice turns in to a time consuming task, and many other geometries with similar construction. Please fix this annoying thing of Surface Extrude

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Delete several layers at once

Deleting display/render layers has to be one by one, I should be able to delete all of them at once!

Small annoying thing!

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Return 'Keep faces together' to the edit mesh drop down.

earlier versions had the 'Keep faces together' as a toggle box under 'Edit mesh'. The new way is long winded and wastes time.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Student version popups!

Please limit the student version popups to one time per session.
    It pops up every time I save, save-as, autosave, or even copy to clipboard (because it is actually saving the selection into the temporary file storage)
    Having to click continue every time I want to copy-paste a selection is easily one of the most annoying things that I've dealt with in a piece of software.
    Thank you in advance.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a powerful renamer tool with useful options like prefix, suffix, etc.

This is such an important tool for scene organization. Everybody uses these, but Maya should come with a powerful one right out of the box.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. View Cube Fix

View Cube doesn't show up in 2015 not in viewport 2.0 not even in legacy viewport

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make poly extrude animatable

When I'm extruding a polygon on a curve I would like to be able to animate/keyframe that extrusion as well for motion graphics.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Material instancing for the Hypergraph

Would be incredibly useful for tweaking different versions of the same Material.
    Modo has a similar functionality and it really helps for lookdeving large scenes with similar materials.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Combine Modeling Toolkit with Tool Settings

i think it's better to follow the maya's rules in order not to make it messy!
    Putting the MT in Tool setting can be tidy!

& although it's important to make a software easy to use and fast for modeler artists, but some duplicates makes it noisy,

& for example MT's Shelf is not necessary at all!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Expand All & Collapse All trees in Outliner

It is tedious to go through and expand each item in a hierarchy to select them all... an option to expand or collapse the entire tree would be helpful. This is especially important when dealing with joints because dragging a selection in the viewport only selects the top level joint and you must select each on individually in the outliner (which can take a while if you have to expand them all!)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please add a surface deformer similar to one Softimage has

The surface deformer Softimage has is a powerful modelling tool that help to achieve complex models otherwise would took to much time and effort like a straw hat. It would be great to have the same tool with same functionality (something that is working with both geometry and curves) in Maya.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Give us back the use of the CMND-key to navigate on Maya OSX.

In versions prior to 2015, Mac users could use the Command key (CMND) with any of the 3 mouse buttons to navigate (tumble, track and dolly) within a viewport. With the release of Maya 2015 you took that option away from us without so much as providing a preference setting for it.
    In the place that can be considered to be the most prime location for a hotkey on a Mac keyboard, we now essentially have a key that is a dud. In fact, it's worse than that, as pressing CMND still allows for 'tumbles' and 'tracks', but no longer…

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Constraint compensation tool like in XSI.

When wanting to tweak a position of a child object be able to tempoarily switch off the contraint to its parent. You can then make the change and switch is back on. Rather than having to remove the contraint and re apply. Like the buttons on the main interface in XSI that do this very effectively.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cannot save files in Maya 2015

When I try to save or save as either .ma or .mb in Maya 2015 with SP3 installed, the file will not save. This happens with a test scene that has nothing in it or any other type of file. Below is how it (doesn't) work:
    1) Launch Maya 2015
    2) Save (or save as, same result)
    3) Select .ma or .mb, same result
    4) Type name for file (test)
    5) Enter
    A dialog pops up with two buttons at the bottom but no text. The cursor changes to a 'busy' icon.
    6) Using keyboard, hit 'enter'
    There is an…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. allow dx11/cg shaders to be pluged into shader group so viewport see's a nice shader and mentalray/vray renders a corresponding material

it would be nice for previs/ animation to see a beautiful dx11/cg shader while working to get a better feel.
    when its handed of to rendering, they can work straight away rendering, knowing that correct render materials are assigned to the objects.

maybe there could be an option in the shadergroup to plug a different material into a viewport slot, or viceversa, a vray/mentalray material into a dx11 shader slot.
    currently previz and animators work with just black objects or force default shaders onto everything. this is very bad, particularly when animating/previzing glossy/reflective surfaces in the automotive industry

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Lines for the plug-in manager

I always have to look carefully to make sure I'm clicking on the correct plugin checkbox and it would be much easier if the line were alternating light and dark shading or if not that, at least have horizontal rules in between each plugin.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Rewrite Hypershade so it looks as cool as node view

Rewrite Hypershade so it looks as cool as node view

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hiding a parent object automatically hides all children. Drawing Overrides don't work.

Hiding a parent object in a hierarchy automatically hides all children. Setting the child's "Drawing Overrides" doesn't work.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Prevent pivot orientation from changing on curves

My curves pivot orientation keep on changing when I change the pivot orientation on my other curves. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I'm having a hard time tying to set up rig controls. Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  default settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Remove delay from context menus appearing.

Could we please remove the slight delay when right clicking or shift right clicking for the context menus. I find it really frustrating that my muscle memory can work faster than Maya can make the menu appear, this doesn't seem like a loading issue it feels like there is an intentional delay when these menus appear.

Could we please remove the delay completely, or have an option to set how long the menu takes before it appears.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base