Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix. Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya 2014, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Read Cory’s blog for more details.

Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas).

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add a powerful renamer tool with useful options like prefix, suffix, etc.

This is such an important tool for scene organization. Everybody uses these, but Maya should come with a powerful one right out of the box.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Delete several layers at once

Deleting display/render layers has to be one by one, I should be able to delete all of them at once!

Small annoying thing!

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Kill the TURTLE

The TURTLE plugin is driving us crazy here at WETA Workshop. We want to turn it off but deselecting Auto Load doesn't work! It just keeps coming back, re-creating the Turtle shelf and populating our scenes with Turtle nodes that we have to unlock and delete all the time.

Please fix this VERY ANNOYING THING. We don't want Turtle, it's shelf, or it's nodes in our scenes!!!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Combine Modeling Toolkit with Tool Settings

i think it's better to follow the maya's rules in order not to make it messy!
    Putting the MT in Tool setting can be tidy!

& although it's important to make a software easy to use and fast for modeler artists, but some duplicates makes it noisy,

& for example MT's Shelf is not necessary at all!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Surface Extrude with level 1 curve

Model a cornice turns in to a time consuming task, and many other geometries with similar construction. Please fix this annoying thing of Surface Extrude

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Student version popups!

Please limit the student version popups to one time per session.
    It pops up every time I save, save-as, autosave, or even copy to clipboard (because it is actually saving the selection into the temporary file storage)
    Having to click continue every time I want to copy-paste a selection is easily one of the most annoying things that I've dealt with in a piece of software.
    Thank you in advance.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Consistency in the flag names fullPath, fullPathName, dagPath, long

Wouldn't it be great to have one common flag to get back the full path for the returned objects? I know you can't realistically remove the other flags, but you can add another flag to these commands to give them one common flag.

ls and lsUI use "long"

listRelatives and filterExpand use "fullPath"

UI elements like optionMenu, and many attr* controls use "fullPathName"

namespaceInfo and referenceQuery use "dagPath" which may or may not be the full path. And to add to the confusion, referenceQuery uses "showDagPath" for reference edits and that is the full path.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. View Cube Fix

View Cube doesn't show up in 2015 not in viewport 2.0 not even in legacy viewport

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. OMT - OM TOOLBOX integration to modeling and selection tools

OMT - OM TOOLBOX edge ring selection replacement for 'edge ring tool'

edge ring selection should also be a hotkey, it could also be a simple hotkey menu item, for a better and more elegant solution to edge and ring selection, please steal everything from this ancient mel script which i still use, omtoolbox, the maya life saver since forever.

OMT also has a nice feature of sliding edges from edge to edge and along z normal all in one operation, which I use all the time. The only limitation to it is if the edge is not on a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Return 'Keep faces together' to the edit mesh drop down.

earlier versions had the 'Keep faces together' as a toggle box under 'Edit mesh'. The new way is long winded and wastes time.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Select Surround Polygons and Edges as in Softimage and 3dsMax, and improve raycast

Selection tools need to improve. Need to add a selection mode only those components that are fully hit the marquee.
    And need to improve raycast selection mode, now it work inaccurately. For example create box 8 8 8, select the faces of the upper camera angle in marquee mode, than look bottom of box, border bottom faces are selected too...

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Select Similar Tool as 3dsmax.

Select Similar Tool in Maya is very inaccurate and unusefull. I dont no how it work, may be very tricky, but that is not what we need. I have done many many tests, and its horrible (just check out how it works on the Sphere, at all faces, including the poles). Please add simple modes Select Faces with Similar Area and Edges with Similar Length.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Merge modeling operation back together

Its very very very annoying and time consuming to choose for exemple the extrude function in the edge section for the edge and another in the face section for the face and another in the vertex section... why didn't keep the simple function extude that work with every selections?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Assign Existing Material could have a Small Thumbnail image

RMB-Click on Object

Assign Existing Material

Assign Existing Material could have a Small Thumbnail image next to it to identify it by colour instead of just by name. Thanks

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make poly extrude animatable

When I'm extruding a polygon on a curve I would like to be able to animate/keyframe that extrusion as well for motion graphics.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Material instancing for the Hypergraph

Would be incredibly useful for tweaking different versions of the same Material.
    Modo has a similar functionality and it really helps for lookdeving large scenes with similar materials.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add option for Texture Deformer to drive blendshapes rather than normal-space transformation

Add option for Texture Deformer to drive blendshapes rather than normal-space transformation.

Driving a blendshape with a texture is extremely useful, and can be done with a variety of slow, painful scripts and plugins.

Make it easy! (also, if this already exists, I would love to know)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The ability to copy and paste a number of parameters AT ONCE in the channel box by selecting all and then pasting in all.

The ability to copy and paste a number of parameters AT ONCE in the channel box by selecting all and then pasting in all.

This is especially important for xyz position and rotation information, if you want to copy a lll the information to a new model that is replacing and old model, or matching a camera view.

Likewise RGB/HSV values would be great to be able to be copied at once too in the materials editors, by simply dragging over the three values, and copying, and then pasting in another object.

Managing large numbers of materials would be made…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. HELP ME ESCAPE!

There are many functions where a some settings can cause Maya to go into deep thought for a *very* long time with no escape, forcing the user to force a shut-down via task manager and open Maya again obviously reloading the scene from an earlier time.

Giving the user the ability to cancel *any* processing at any time using the "Esc" key would make far more sense instead of losing work due to being held hostage while the function works its magic.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base