Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages. Please help us identify things that bother you when you’re working in Maya that we can easily fix.

Suggest and vote for annoying little quirks or problems in Maya you want us to fix, and get others to vote for your ideas.

To see the Small Annoying Things that we fixed in Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them against the “Unique to Maya LT” category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

Put larger issues in the Ideas for Maya forum. We’ll move issues that are not small (even if they are annoying) to this forum — if so, you’ll get your votes back.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

What is a little tweak or change we can make to Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pivots only snap relatively when translating in a single axis

Before Maya 2016 you were able to snap the pivots of multiple objects to the floor by constraining along one axis once "retain component spacing" was unchecked.

Now the pivots only seem to move relatively when constrained to a single axis while trying to snap to the grid or a point. If you use the center handle on the pivot, all will snap to a point or grid point like expected.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back the toolbar icon style from Maya 2015.

The new single-color toolbar icons in Maya 2016 are hard to distinguish from one another, and slow down the user's workflow.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback !

Maya 2016 suppose to be work with frozen UVs ane selected UVs.
    Meaning, if you freeze some UVs then select UVs and perform Unfold, you should see freezon UVs are not unfold while the position changes so the UV still fit in the 0-1 UV space. Also you can select some UVs and unfold, the unselected UVs maintain the shape.

Do these work for you?

5. add ability to pan and drag nodes/connections at the same time (like in nuke)

its hard to connect nodes that are distant to each other, so we need some way to grab a connection and pan node view at the same time for example by pressing and holding alt key at the time of dragging.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ramp shader /facing ratio combo

I think i'm really tired of setting up , or using presets from a library to create Fresnel ramps, direction based ramps or other kinds of ramps that read geometry or light direction.
    Please give to us, a solution out of the box.

Thanks!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. repeated space swipes should toggle a locked axis

if the manipulator's axis is locked and i swipe in the locked direction, the swipe should toggle the lock

thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Switching modes (object >faces, etc) using the marking menu often applies the setting to the wrong mesh

Using the marking menu to swtch between modes, for example, object mode to faces, often changes the state of the wrong mesh; usually to one behind, which is extremely frustrating for some one who relies a great deal on the marking menus. This problem has been around in Maya for a very long time and could do with being fixed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Installing SP1 for Maya 2016 takes more time than Uninstall -> Install

Installing the new SP1 for Maya 2016 takes ages.
    Uninstalling Maya 2016 - 4 min
    Installing Maya 2016 - 9 min (including transfer of files)
    Installing Maya 2016 SP1 (Only SP1) - 25 min

I like the idea of having patches. But if they take such long time to install then Ill rather uninstall old version, install new and after that drink a cup of coffee (still faster than installing just a patch).

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. The mauve icon for the locator should be the same green color that it is in the viewport

The mauve icon for the locator should be the same green color that it is in the viewport. It is confusing otherwise.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. All zoomable UIs should zoom on the mouse cursor position

Many Maya UIs, eg. the viewport and node editor, zoom around the mouse cursor. Others always zoom on the center, like the animation editors and profiler. It's disorienting, and requires the user to switch modes going from window to window. The graph editor would be a lot nicer to navigate if it zoomed like the node editor.

If this is done, there should probably be a preference to switch behaviors (excluding the viewport), since some people do prefer the center-zoom behavior.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hotkey Editor window has no save settings.

It is not possible to save settings for the Hotkey Editor window as there is with other windows in Maya.

I would like to have 'Search By: Hotkey' on by default and the Runtime Command Editor on by default. However, if I quit the window and go back in it has forgot my preferences and defaults to Application Command and the Keyboard diagram which I never use.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Hotkey Editor - Divider in center

If it were possible to resize the Hotkey Editor I propose adding a resizable divider in the center to allow flexible positioning of the contents of the window's content.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Solve Palm Rejection with Wacom touch

U can´t use the pen while touch is enabled, it always rotate the scene with the palm of your hand while using the pen. Mudbox hasn´t the problem, there u can dral while using the touch to rotate the scene. Please fix it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Its not possible to resize the new Hotkey Editor in 2016 (its too big)

Its not possible to resize the new Hotkey Editor in 2016. Its just too big to fit on the screen using lower monitor resolution settings (1024x768).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bring back Shift Extrude

2015,2014 has shift extrude. 2016 removed it. please bring it back.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pivot on move, scale or rotate tool, sometimes, misteriously disappear

Sometimes, misteriously, doing anything at all (bug), the pivot disappears. I have to shutdown Maya and reopen to see it again.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix duplicate with transform

Please fix Duplicate with transform, as it stands it does not work with rotational transforms, and with standard translates it works until you move the camera

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. reset extrude settings within the view pane hud

Would be super useful to have a reset option on the extrude settings within the view pane hud. eg. So often I extrude something with 20 loops and the next time I want to do an extrude I it still has the 20 spans set as default.

This would save me having to go back into the extrude took to reset it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base