Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Transform relative to the normal SHOULD respond to SOFT selections too

Edit Mesh > Transform
    Just discovered this tool by accident...it is very usefull but it should respond to soft selections, that would really unleash power.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Maya Fluids FX Improvement

Maya Fluids FX have not been updated since Maya 2011/2012.
    It's time to update this set of fluid simulation tools with improved performance and stability, new fields (maybe customizable), and another great feature wuold be a Multiscatter self illumination like Fumefx or Houdini. Please dont't look at bifrost new gas solver beacouse it's a very poor quality solver.
    Thanks

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. space switch

Right now maya lacks built-in tools for easy and intuitive space-switching. In max there is Link Constraint, but in Maya we have to correct transformations when we change parents in parent constraint. With scripting or manually.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Retain most recent file, under File > Recent Files >, if Maya crashes

If a user opens a maya file, works in it and the program crashes... the user will not see that file in the File > Recent Files > sub-menu. The only way to ensure a file will show up in that menu is by opening the file and closing down Maya normally.

In the event Maya crashes, it would be ideal for the recent file to visible in the Recent Files menu.

I am using Maya 2014 as the example, please correct me if it's been addressed in a later version. :)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Zbrush matchmaker deformer for maya

would like to conform one object to another like zbrush's matchmaker brush!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Some improvements for a Cameras!

1) Fast camera switching panel (watch screenshot).
    2) The name for a new camera is - Camera1, not Persp1
    3) Center point of camera orientation more better like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIMO3gDV-A

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Interactive Retopology

An interactive approach to retopologising the mesh as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K5CyQB_kc

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. file texture editor and forward/backward slash bug

The file texture editor's 'replace string' function is bugged. If the UI displays backslashes, replacing backslashes doesn't work, forward slashes must be used. This is confusing and counter-intuitive.

Say I have the following file texture:
    \\oldserver\share\project\...\maya\sourcimages\pancake\pancake.tif

if I try to 'replace string' "\\oldserver\share\" with "\\server\share\" it will not work.

If I instead replace "//oldserver/share/" with "//server/share/" it WILL work.

The UI should display the correct slashes, or have some system to convert or fix the problem. If I open the maya scene as a maya ascii, the slashes are forward slashes. This is on win-x64, Maya 2016 SP6.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Camera movement like unreal engine 4 (Shift + move tool, Bring the camera along for the ride)

Shift+move tool would be a really bug improvement on Maya and Maya LT. I don't enjoy moving an object around then having to move the camera around separately. adding Shift + move tool would allow the camera to come along for the ride.

see the following link from UE4 for more details: https://youtu.be/yNsKAntWiB0?t=16s

i know this is already posted in the LT feedback but not to many people adventure to the LT part of this feedback stuff. :)

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Trax to Time Editor

As mentioned in the title, we would like to have a way to import all Trax data into the new Time Editor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Feet AND Inches Units Setting

There should be a feet and inches units. I know it would be harder to implement, and metric is much better, but because I work in metric I don't quickly calculate 6'1'' to 73" or 6.083' in my head. I would love a units mode that shows 6'1" when I use a measure tool, or if there's a remainder 6'1.3", or possibly settings that allow you to round or use fractions.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Bring over the bounding box selection/editing from Motionbuilders Fcurve editor

The Fcurve editor in Motionbuilder has one advantage over Maya, Max and every other 3d app. When you select multiple keys on curves in Motionbuilders Fcurve editor, you are given you a bounding box around your key selection.

This "bounding box" gives you the ability to quickly and or precisely manipulate keys. You can both enter numeric values into the boxes "corners" to adjust the curves with precision, or you can drag the box handles to make quick adjustments.

This functionality is one of the key reasons I still persist on using Motionbuilder.

Here is a link explaining what I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Extending selection along nearby edge (drag along edge) without D- align

An easy to implement feature to extend (!) a selection along a nearby edge would be great. Right now I have do D select (align) to an edge first and then grab the gizmo and move. That feels so disruptive and unnecessary. Why not just make a the edges closest to the selection light up like a gizmo handle and make instant extend drag possible. (a tiny popup over the curser saying "along") Should be very easy to implement and would simplify one of the most used extend methods while poly modeling

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Correctly Open ma/mb files with the correct version of maya

When multiple versions of maya are installed. Opening maya files by double clicking on them results in them being open by the version of maya most recently installed. In past attempts, even trying the 'open-with' options in windows and picking the correct maya executable would not work. Please write something so that windows properly detects what maya file version is saved as, and open that scene file with the correct maya. If the maya version is not present, set it to open with most recent/closest version #.

Thank you

-M

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multi-cut tool improvement from XSI

Hello! I'd like to suggest to improve the behavior of multicut tool. XSI has a perfect implementation of cut tool - I can start cut line from outside of the mesh or arbitrary point inside mesh or snap to some vertex. And I can define the end point absolutely the same way. After the start and end are placed, I can freely move them outside of the mesh or snap to where I want.
    Current implementation of maya mutli-cut tool is very limited in terms I described above. I can start cutting EITHER from the point inside the mesh and…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 3D Sound (renderer) within the scene

To be able to place sound nodes in a scene, would be great.
    For example: attach a sound to an (moving) object and get a 5.1 output from an mic attached to the camera to get the the disered effect corresponding to the place and speed(doppler) of that object.
    And maybe reverb/echo parameters to simulate the influence certain materials/surfaces have on sound?
    The ability to use certain rules to trigger a sound (e.g. generate a footstep sound on collision) would make timing a lot easier!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Combine name

Now that you have options for combine, could you add an option to keep the name of the last selected object as well? We have this made inhouse since a few years but it's always fun to get it out of box

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base