Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New Canvas UNDO functions

CTRL-Z = UNDO
    CTRL-ALT-Z step back thru history.

Please add this function to make more step back. I know you can paint on a texture material instead of the canvas to get the standard undo behaviour..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Flex IK / Pose Tool

An advanced, animatable pose tool, compatible with any hierarchy of joints (applied at the root). Similar to what Modo is offering in 601, but much more powerful, since Modo just applies and records FK rotations. This "Flex IK" evaluation would evaluate in real-time, every frame during playback. Pinning / Un-pinning and reach (like in HIK rigs) settings would be available at any joint, and that state would be also animatable, so you'd be able to pin the clavicle base and pose the arm (dragging from the hand) using the clavicle, then pin the shoulder and pose the arm starting from…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. enable lights to be instanced onto particles

would like to instance lights on particles. The end.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. A better File browser UI

Current Maya's file browser UI is not much user friendly. Older OS native UI was very useful for us to cut, copy, paste like functions and also to work with folders and other files.
    In windows OS, there is no option like open or explore folders.

My suggestion is to include OS native right click menu options to Maya's own current file browser window.

/* Yes, we can change our UI to OS native in preference, but OS native gives error's while export FBX files.. its not getting exported properly in that UI. */

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Integrate a documented p_hairTK type fur shading system

Maya's Fur shading is old and limited. P_hairTK is a promising alternative but it's undocumented and difficult to decode best practice.
    P_hairTK demonstrates that the fur shader can be improved to a reasonable finish.
    Also, I'd assume some sort of deep shadowing fur would be a basic benchmark to aim for when reviewing the toolset.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement a tessendorf wave shader/deformer

The Houdini Ocean Toolkit has become an industry standard for generating large bodies of water. Sadly the only publicly available version of this is buggy to the point that it is difficult to use in production.
    The code is freely available.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Get rid of the BaseAnimation Layer

Get rid of the BaseAnimation Layer. The default "startup" layer should be the base layer.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. circular dynamic curve that looks nice

Right now if you try to make a necklace or bracelet its rather hard/ annoying to achieve it seems. If you make a circular curve into a dynamic curve it freaks out. If you make a dynamic curve and fix the beginning and end it looks rather awkward. Anyway you could add some sort of feature for a dynamic circle curve?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. paint weights on wrap deformer

Paint weights should work with the wrap deformer.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who’s voted on this issue. It is being moved to the Ideas for Maya forum, because although it’s annoying you, it’s not a small thing to address.
    Enjoy spending your Small Annoying Things to fix votes on other ideas!

10. Instance distribution with fast interaction and LOD

Instance distribution of multiple object with no problem on manage it with Level of Detail. The base of distribution like map or painted the distribution like spPaint3d.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. add a displacement input on poly surface shape nodes to open geo displacement based on black and white texture input

add a displacement input on poly and surface shape nodes to open geometry displacement based on black and white texture input. See Max's displacement modifier. Now, other than using a texture map assigned to the shading group nodes disp channel the only obvious option available is to use the height field node.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Exiting paint select on mesh components should retain component selection while returning to object select mode

Using paint select for mesh components is a really great tool for getting into those hard to reach places. When you're finished making a selection, I propose that hitting "q" should retain the prior selection, while also returning Maya to all default contexts and masks associated with the normal Marquee selection tool.

As exiting paint select to marquee mode is currently implemented, hitting "q" returns the tool to marquee mode but no longer allows for mixed object/component selection of joints and transforms due to the selection masks being set for component selection only. It would be handy to be able…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Give us more and better classes for working with Maya Objects

For example the MFnSkinCluster class is slow and not very flexible as far as the arrays of data it outputs

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I want to expose hidden Mental Ray shaders like the mip shaders

I have to modify files to expose some hidden shaders. I want them to be exposed by default.

Some shaders are quite useful like mip_cameramap, mip_matteshadow.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who’s voted on this issue. It is being moved to the Ideas for Maya forum, because although it’s annoying you, it’s not a small thing to address.

Enjoy spending your Small Annoying Things to fix votes on other ideas!

16. Use thumbnails embedded in the maya file for browsing

Max and Mudbox, have this feature.

It is very time consuming when you have a big project and you have to find a specific geometry or prototype for your level.

This would make it so much easier to browse through my collection assets to find something to reuse.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improve motion trail performace (speed)

Like this tool but it is too slow to use in production

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Right-click to cancel

Just like in 3ds Max, when performing an operation in the viewport (i.e. Left Mouse Button click-dragging to create geometry; or click-dragging to move components like vertices on a mesh), add the ability to cancel the current operation by right-clicking the mouse. By clicking the RMB, anything you're currently doing in the viewport would get canceled, allowing for better trial and error workflows (and less reliance on Undo thereafter).

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

what do you propose happens with the existing RMB marking menu?

19. better particle render result

I need better particle render result, have some volume, something like Krakatoa. (I think this is a huge annoying thing)

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix the dependency graph or give me a way to escape a mass selection

I want to be able to press ESC to cancel a selection if I try and select too many nodes at once. Maya locks up for a long time if I try and select 150+ nodes.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base