Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use thumbnails embedded in the maya file for browsing

Max and Mudbox, have this feature.

It is very time consuming when you have a big project and you have to find a specific geometry or prototype for your level.

This would make it so much easier to browse through my collection assets to find something to reuse.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve motion trail performace (speed)

Like this tool but it is too slow to use in production

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Right-click to cancel

Just like in 3ds Max, when performing an operation in the viewport (i.e. Left Mouse Button click-dragging to create geometry; or click-dragging to move components like vertices on a mesh), add the ability to cancel the current operation by right-clicking the mouse. By clicking the RMB, anything you're currently doing in the viewport would get canceled, allowing for better trial and error workflows (and less reliance on Undo thereafter).

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

what do you propose happens with the existing RMB marking menu?

4. better particle render result

I need better particle render result, have some volume, something like Krakatoa. (I think this is a huge annoying thing)

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the dependency graph or give me a way to escape a mass selection

I want to be able to press ESC to cancel a selection if I try and select too many nodes at once. Maya locks up for a long time if I try and select 150+ nodes.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. consolidate node editors

have a single node editor instead of having a hypergraph, hypershade and a node editor and oh yeah.. a node connections editor

240 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a fluid preview window

It will be cool to add a fluid preview window just like Fumefx in 3ds Max.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Link or unlink hair with light

I want be able to link or unlink hair with light.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. See all menu on my 15 inch monitor

I want be able to see all menu on my 15 inch monitor due to low resolution, I don’t like the hotbox very much

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Set to default setting for each node

I hope every note have a button to set to default setting. So once I messed up settings, I can be back. (Nuke kind have this feature, you can even undo every node)

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I want a tool to easy control hair or fur with UVs

The fur and hair are base on uv, it is very hard to control direction using brush.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make Component Editor like Microsoft Excel

I want to be able to
    - color texts and cells
    - sort rows
    - cut/copy/paste values
    - access to RMB menus
    to name a few.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Lose the Output Window

I don't need another Window on my desktop - please re-route the message to a different log somewhere/

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Maya should be able to take any resolution image to generate thumbnails, not just less than 2K.

Maya don't auto-generate thumbnails for images higher than 2K, which sounds very 90s.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I'd like a proxy system that works easily.

And lastly I'd like a proxy system that works easily. Vray makes this incredibly easy why does MR have to treat this like we are all TD's.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have photoreal trees/vegation presets

It's good to have artistic toony trees and vegetation but it's also better to have photoreal trees/vegation presets, just check Alessandro Prodans work 5 years ago, isn't it a shame that from million of Maya users, we only have one descent example

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Extend tool for open edges

With the Extend tool you can work on the open edges of the object; those on the border of the surface that have only one polygon attached. Following are the different functions of the Extend tool:
    Normal Drag a border vertex to create a polygon.
    Shift Drag a border edge to create a polygon.
    Ctrl+Shift Drag an edge to extend the entire loop on which the edge resides.
    Ctrl+Alt Drag between two edges to create a polygon.
    Ctrl Click to delete a polygon and its isolated vertices.
    Ctrl+Shift+Alt Drag a vertex to move it around on the grid or surface

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. have profiler tool also record rendering and give us information

It will be cool if Profiler can show us which element or shader in the render is talking more time.. then we can try to optimize it better..

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base