Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open source completely FBX just like Alembic and OpenEXR and PTex

FBX is wide spread and more and more productions use it for some part of the production but it should be fully open sourced to allow it to grow and improve with input from production and not just Autodesk.

http://www.robg3d.com/?p=991 Never build upon closed-source frameworks (talking about .net and cat but directly applies to FBX

The past few versions have had serious bugs and the speed of response and fixes are not adequate. Autodesk should follow ILM, SONY and WALT DISNEY ANIMATION and release a true open source of FBX code.

373 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    13 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

thanks for the feedback – please make sure to log the bugs and add any that you feel strongly about to uservoice

question to the voters: how many of you are developers that would contribute to such an initiative? I would like to get a better feel on how much this reflects “FBX needs improving” vs “I want to personally extend FBX capabilities”.

for the devs, make sure you fill out the API survey http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/our-annual-api-wishlist-surveys-are-now-live

2. Use thumbnails embedded in the maya file for browsing

Max and Mudbox, have this feature.

It is very time consuming when you have a big project and you have to find a specific geometry or prototype for your level.

This would make it so much easier to browse through my collection assets to find something to reuse.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Maya to After Effects Export

Cinema 4D now has Cineware for an After Effects/C4D workflow. I find it a pathetic reason for a Maya house to go C4D, but I know of one case.

I would love to see a plugin that makes Maya integration with After Effects easier if it doesn't already exists.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate a Nuke-like file Proxy system for Textures, Image planes, etc.

Large image files can quickly bring Maya to it's knees by filling up main system Ram and GPU resources. But more often than not, we have no immediate need to see the full resolution of these image files inside Maya itself. Instead they are merely there to be fed to our final Render engine of choice. Be it Mental Ray, V-Ray, Arnold, etc.
    In the meantime, a much lower resolution placeholder would do just as well.
    In Nuke this is handled by their read nodes having a separate file path entry for a low-res Proxy version of the image(s) you…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Maya scene thumbnail icons with Windows

3Ds Max and Cinema 4D scenes display thumbnail icons in Windows Explorer. Maya does not.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make texture paths relative!

As someone who often has to switch between workstations when working on a project, the file path of the textures is very important. No matter how many times I save the files to relative, Maya always, ALWAYS, sets them to global. This is particularly annoying in the lighting/rendering stage, when I often have to link the files again to the project folder. The path SHOULD be relative if it's saved as relative.

There is a script to quickly rename all the files in a scene called "Clean Texture Paths" from Lightcraft, but this is only a temp solution to a…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Import automatically

Hello Maya devs,

Could you please change Maya's start-up options so that Maya will try to import files, if it cannot simply open them?

So that if you double-klick on something like an fbx file in the (windows) explorer (and if Maya is set as the default program for fbx files and the relevant plug-in is installed). Maya will just open the file?

I mean, currently if I do this with Maya 2015, I get some "filetype unrecognized" message and I have to click it away, and either drag and drop the file into Maya or go through the import…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make FBX capable of exporting and importing third party shader (e.g. V-Ray)

Some versions ago we could export a 3ds Max scene with FBX and import it into Maya and the texture connections were intact. With 2014 and 2015 this is not possible any more! After importing the texture connections were all lost.

The guys from Choasgroup say that this should be possible with FBX, but that "FBX exporter is not even reading the information we provide to the Maya legacy viewport. In theory, it can at least export what you see there - diffuse/specular/emission + texture."

Please fix this or make FBX Open Source, so that e.g. Chaosgroup can add the…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Duplicate Reference with Edits

It would be great to be able to duplicate a reference with existing reference edits.
    Currently I need to duplicate the reference then export the reference edits to an offline file, then import those edits back onto the duplicate. Could be a check box somewhere.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix 2013 (and beyond) file format that breaks compatibility with older versions.

2013 .ma files screwed up the file format for "ignore version" in the open setting. I sometimes have to send files from 2013 to older maya versions . . .

Thanks!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Alembic that can output separate geo and vert animation

Separating geo from animation using alembic will allow a lighter or FX artist to more easily separate their workflow (dependency) on the geometry received from off a rig or other department. That way a lighting setup/ fur setup with different UV assignments, history, nodes connected etc, can be maintained as a separate process, while only needing to update vertex animation, versus trying to reconnect stuff to new geometry.. Cortex can do this.. Alembic should definitely do this!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Better Autodesk Inventor importer for Maya

I know that Maya is not really for product designers, but I think a better importer of Inventor files, like the one in 3DS Max would be great! With a dialog box that lets you choose between meshes and body objects, and maybe an option that lets you include the material that the part has. This could make it easier to include design data into games or movies if needed. This could make Maya even more versatile!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SVG & Adobe Illustrator Import - Revisit And Redesign For True Production Value Please.

The addition of SVG import in 2015 Ext 1 was a great start. Great job guys. However, it needs to be revisited and overhauled to be more production appropriate.

1) Please develop TRUE support for Adobe Illustrator files with multiple paths and colors. This is already present in competing 3D platforms. SVG is old school. Especially in today's subscription market where so many shops are using Adobe day to day. Think pipeline. It's surprising you guys missed that the first time round. You're pretty damn good with pipeline stuff.

2) Cascade source file's layers - groups - path hierarchy as…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Read and write one frame per file using Alembic IO

Current Alembic IO in Maya don't support to read and write one frame per file. This feature could be implemented to load cache files using "#" in filename.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Custom scale for fbx export

Custom scale for fbx export.

Maya has problems working with large objects in real world scale. It already has options to export into different units, but these always make the model smaller. We need to be able to set the scale manually so that our models are the proper size in other programs,

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When importing a maya file, choose how to deal with shaders

Like in 3dsMax, when I import a .ma or .mb file in a scene that contain the same shaders (same name but properties updated), it would be great to choose what to do for example :

- use scene shader
    - replace using imported shader
    - create duplicate

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base