Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. More default procedurals (2D and 3D textures)

I would like to see a bigger, more robust collection of 2D and 3D procedurals in the Maya / mental ray base libraries.

My top ten list:

inverse occlusion (edge detection -- think Vray's dirtmap shader)

directional occlusion

3D "primitives" (Uses the 3D placement node to create a 3d textural sphere, cube, cylinder, etc inside of its bounds)

cavity (think Zbrush's default red-clay)

cellular

voronoi

UV-shell ramp (ramps whose "position" is driven by UV shell borders)

Plaid (multiple layers of grids, checkers, and color variations in one node)

Swatch (single constant color)

Panels (randomly divided rectangles)

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A decent fur system

Make an all new fur system like shave which is much much better

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. have a blur node

have a simple blur node that allow us to blur every 2D/3D Textures node in Maya (Mental Core has one like this !)

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I want to expose hidden Mental Ray shaders like the mip shaders

I have to modify files to expose some hidden shaders. I want them to be exposed by default.

Some shaders are quite useful like mip_cameramap, mip_matteshadow.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks to everyone who’s voted on this issue. It is being moved to the Ideas for Maya forum, because although it’s annoying you, it’s not a small thing to address.

Enjoy spending your Small Annoying Things to fix votes on other ideas!

6. Allow Folders to be created in Hypershade.

The Hypershade seems to be more difficult to manage when more environment and characters assets are introduced, it would be nice to have folders to manage textures as a pack for less confusion.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Straighten UV Brush Tool for UV Editor

Hi,

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion better than a hundred of words.

Maya feedback program already has a bunch of requests for new UV Editing tools in Maya, with one of them being a Straighten UV functionality, as can be seen in this topics:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/5868505-straighten-uv-tool-like-the-one-in-roadkill

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/7246950-better-uv-tools

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/6438509-straighten-wavy-edges-tool-in-uv-editor

Straighten UV is a very handy and demanded feature that allows artists to improve their UVs for hard-surface objects, ultimately leading to less pixel aliasing on textures, easier texture painting and overall better texturing results. The task of straightening UVs can be found in another 3D…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. What about a falloff node like 3ds Max?

It is a very good Idea to add to Maya a new node called "Falloff" just like 3ds Max. In Maya however we do it with ramp, still there is a great absence of curve-display for the falloff.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. LayeredTexture node ovehaul (example)

Key features/changes:
    1. Layer stack one on top of the other (bottom --> top direction).
    2. Blend Modes like in Photoshop!
    3. Drag and drop layers to change order.
    4. Separate Alpha (mask) and Opacity channels.
    5. Ability to paint Alpha(mask) and Opacity using 3D Paint Tool directly on object in viewport.

6. Not exactly a feature but also important. More attention and care for design. Please just don't make a mess out of it like 10 year old kid did the job. Please.

I did quick layout in Photoshop for possible look.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. A modern Viewport 2.0 multi-purpose shader for pre-visualization.

I don't think DX11 shading is enough unfortunately. As a Maya user that works on OS X it is obviously not an option at all for me.

I believe it would be perfectly possible to create a dedicated and modern shader specifically for Viewport 2.0 to create quick but excellent looking approximations of a modern physically based shader used by many popular renderers today.

-Diffuse Color Input, Diffuse Amount
    -Reflection Color Input, Reflection Amount
    -Reflection Glossiness/Roughness
    -Reflection/Environment map (for doing fake real-time reflections, any image could be used or even procedurals like ramps, etc.)
    -Transparency (I would imagine real-time refraction…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Texture Baking

Maya Transfer maps is super slow, so plz update it with below feature.

>>>Generate a Normal, Derivative, Displacement/Height, Ambient Occlusion, Concavity and Convexity maps of selected object

>>>Ultra High Resolution Support

See Below Links

www.knaldtech.com
    www.knaldtech.com/docs/doku.php?id=welcome_to_knald
    www.xnormal.net/

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. layers in paint fx !

Add layers on paint effects would be verry handy

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A Custom Fresnel curves node

Metal shaders has a complex index of refraction, the ior options on shaders or even ramp/facingRatiom do not supply the tool for a very realistic material. would be amazing a node that we can handle curves in RGB, something like falloff in 3ds max.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Anonymous responded

a little more details would help us here

15. Multiple UV tile support in 3D Paint Tool

Sometimes you need to paint certain attributes related to nucleus, animation and shading/rendering using the 3D Paint Tool but currently it lacks support to paint an object using multiple UV tiles so you have to rely on external applications for a basic operation and it becomes a tedious Maya < > External Application process.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. A Size Reference Object !

An object(like the distancetool) or a parameter that give the real life reference size. This could be used by maya, mentalray, plugins. Think for example of an automating sizing of the leather wood ocean textures, paint effects. Also usefull for physics engines and all mentalray physical simulations, and more.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Using weightmaps for more than just rigging - Texturing and fluids as well.

I would like weightmaps to have texturing functions and not just rigging functions. I would like to use weightmaps in hypershade for texture blends as well as controlling fluid emissions.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Curves like 3dsmax.

Falloff curves like 3dsmax. They are so beautiful and simple and intuitive and POWERFUL and fast to set up. #grantwarwick #control #whatgives?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Planetary Atmospheric Scattering (accurate)...

A shader solution for accurate planetary atmospheric scattering implemented by Sean O'Neil's in nVidia's GPU gems 2 chapter 16. For years I have tried every possible solution to do this without faking it which is not really acceptable for accuracy. I have converted shader after shader from glsl to cgfx only after finding the technique or some other function is not supported - the frustration that atmospheric scattering for planetary purposes can mostly only be found in game engines is daunting. I have even tried to implement atmospheric scattering in shaderfx and once again all functions required are not supported.…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. placement nodes after file texture nodes in the shading tree

Like in any compositing program, files are only loaded ones and transformed later in the node tree. If I want to place the same texture with different offsets in Maya, I would have to create multiple texture nodes and manipulate their placements.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base