Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve script editor

More options like autocomplete, wrapping lines of code etc

269 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    15 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Math (trig) Nodes as a default

currently there are basic math nodes, but it would nice to have more advanced ones built in. I have seen many TD's create their own, myself included, but they are so easy why not do it yourselves? Having them built in will avoid having to compile for other platforms or distributing them, the less dependencies the better

258 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

do you have a top 10 list of nodes?

3. Ability to create 'composite' nodes in new Node Editor

The new Node Editor does not have the ability to create 'composite' nodes, like every other node editor anywhere (XSI ICE, coral, morpheme, houdini, etc.). It is effectively useless without the ability to create composite nodes.

100 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anonymous responded

just to confirm, you mean the ability to group a bunch of nodes into one, right?

4. 91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a node based script editor for visual scripting in Maya

It would be nice if Maya had some sort of visual scripting for artists. Something like blueprint in UE4 or XPresso in Cinema 4D.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. History Output for Python

History output should be outputting Python commands similar how its is currently outputting Mel commands

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Official support, integration and maintenance of PyMel.

I would like Autodesk to officially support and maintain the implementation of PyMel in Maya so that it's future and continuous development is secured officially by a commercial product. This would make the use of PyMel a safe and stable solution even for core pipeline tools that currently may be developed with mayapy, c++ or mel because of the uncertainty of PyMels future development.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

what does official support look like to you? We ship it with Maya and believe that shows confidence in it as a solution.

8. Python/ PyMEL for Expressions

When writing Expressions, one is bound to MEL. Although there are relatively cumbersome ways to execute Python commands in an expressions, I'd very much appreciate if one could write Expressions directly in Python.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Improve print output performance

Print statements in code cause some pretty extreme slowdown, whereas writing to standard out/trace is fast. Can normal print output speed be increased to a more acceptable level?

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. New panes in script editor

Mel Studio Pro had some awesome advantages over the standard Mel scripting window. One, it has a pane that listed all the script files you had open and what procs where in them. You could tell at a glance what was a local or global proc, and a single click would take you right to the proc in the code.

Also, you could save by just clicking save, not having to select everything first.

And lastly, you could write expressions in it. Much easier than in the expression editor.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have a plugins API strategy that does not make them obsolete after a year.

I think it is a far more reasonable (for the user) policy to make sure plugins can be used for more than 1 version.
    I understand new technology dictates new API calls and perhaps there may be a need for revenue from the developer kit but I think it is just poor planning and a complete disregard to the effort of developer community. The only outcome out of the current strategy is that every time a new version of maya comes out a legacy of very useful plugins becomes dead-ware, thus diminishing maya potential itself.

I'm forced to skip 2013…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. public Git repo for mel and py scripts

Make Maya's mel and py scripts available in a public git repo so power users can fix bugs and help the community(and save Autodesk some money) instead of waiting for service packs or being stuck with a bug forever.

A git repo with pull requests would serve nicely. Whoever manages the repo could cherry pick the changes that he wants and fold it into the repo. End users could keep the installed versions or branch to the repo versions at-will.

I've fixed several system mel scripts myself, and those scripts were still broken in later cuts of Maya that've been…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Highlight syntax in the Expression Window

Would be really helpful to have highlighted syntax in the Expression Window

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Upgrade Maya Python to 3.x

When will Maya be upgraded to Python 3.x?

Legacy Python 2.7 is starting to cause us issues in our pipeline. PySide2 is the most recent headache but many other distributions are also an issue. Additionally I would also petition Autodesk to compile Maya Python using the same MSC as the standalone Python distribution. This also causes many a headache by preventing version dependent Python modules from being used in Maya without having to recompile them.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make Maya's node editor more like ICE and consolodate hypergraph: More procedural animation capabilities

It would be great to make the node editor more like ICE meaning opening up procedural animation capabilities in Maya. Also consolidating Hypergraph into node editor would be great and less clutter.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. How about finishing the 2.0 python api ?

It's here for a few maya versions but seems not to have evolved since.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Since maya 2012, the API reference is hard to use. 2011 a prior version were much better

Since maya 2012, the c++ API reference is really annoying.
    It's much harder to find the class I'm looking for.

The old reference (before 2012) had a really easy alphabetical filtering with prefix (MFn, MPx etc)

The new one with the dual scroll area is unusable. THe search function is extremely slow, and even the browser own search function is not usable because of the left panel.
    So we are stuck with an endless scroll bar to find the right function.
    Then when the right page is open, it's a pain to go to another page.

Please revert to the…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Standard Python

2013 modified python in a non standard way. Now libraries like numpy dont work with maya. I use maya for research, and I have noticed many people are using maya for research in various fields (sci-arc for architecture and robotics for example). Can you change back to the 2012 version or at least make some well documented instructions as to how to make python libraries work with maya.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hardware control surface mapping ability for Maya

It would be great to be able to map a 3rd party hardware control surface like the Tangent Element panels or some other MIDI control surface to the functions in Maya. I use these panels for several other software programs (FCP X & DaVinci Resolve) and they speed up my workflow considerably.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. be consistent -->

provide the whole as IDE or Middleware Solution.

don´t pack another set of features on top.
    Clean up the whole software concept!!! No more editors-reduce the amount.
    Make it a an IDE with possibility to compile things.
    Tell people not to use it right out of the box.
    Make it a true nodal system.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base