Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unify Animation Layers, Trax Editor, and Importing/Exporting Animation.

The Trax Editor is limiting because of the need to create character sets, and the need to switch modes between editing clips and editing keys. Animation layers are great because they work on anything, but are limited because they only affect values and can't affect timing. There's also no universal and reliable way to import and export animation.
    Animation layers should be editable in a more non-linear way, and their timing should driven by an animation curve that can be edited. Retimed keys should be interactively re-adjusted in the graph editor. Any sort of non-linear editing should still leave keyframes…

146 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need a system where animators can put down place markers to indicate events.

All animation editors (Timeline, Graph Editor, Trax etc...) need a system allowing animators to place markers to indicate events in time, like you have in Adobe Premiere for instance. You place a marker and include a description, you can also quickly jump between markers etc.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it easier to save/load information (skin weights, anim curves, etc)

Ten years on we have the same save skin weights tool that makes IFF files.

The first thing every company has to do is write a weights saver and remapper.

The next is an animation curve saver, and they rarely work with layers.

There are other examples, the main point is that we would like to be able to save/load data, this was understood back a decade ago when the original animation and skin weight saving systems were written, it's time for an update. :)

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

regarding curves, have you tried the ATOM format in Maya 2013?

4. paint weights on wrap deformer

Paint weights should work with the wrap deformer.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who’s voted on this issue. It is being moved to the Ideas for Maya forum, because although it’s annoying you, it’s not a small thing to address.
    Enjoy spending your Small Annoying Things to fix votes on other ideas!

5. Change how Maya handles component IDs

When altering components on a mesh for example - deleting faces, Maya renumbers the existing faces so their IDs remain continuous. I would like to see those IDs that are deleted remain deleted like particles, allowing the user to group and save a component list during the delete faces command.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

this is a mesh data optimization (just so you know why it happens) – why you don’t want it to happen is understood

6. Improve motion trail performace (speed)

Like this tool but it is too slow to use in production

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Overhaul the motion path animation feature

Motion path curves should display their normals for editing, the workaround with curves on surface is to time consuming. curve path flow should be more reliable in some situations you get twisting problems even with the curve on surface -> up vector = curve normal workaround.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. blender-like FK animation

Yet another idea coming form Blender.
    The chance to position FK bones in IK mode. I mean,
    to position an FK arm for instance, you have to move the shouder control, forearm control and wrist control. this takes time.
    It would be great to activate an IK mode for FK controls, that allows you to position the arm in IK. But when you finish to pose and play the timeline, the arm is still FK.
    It is only for FK controls position purposes and has nothing to do with IK-FK blending.
    Thanks
    Dino

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Prevent Stepped Preview from affecting Set Driven Keys

As an animator I was really excited when I first discovered the Stepped Preview function in Maya - it's basically one single button to toggle inbetweens on an animation, and it's non-destructive on already modified animation curves!

I instantly bound it to a hotkey and decided to try it out in my animation workflow, hoping to replace the slightly involved process of setting default out tangents to stepped, converting all curves to stepped, and then back again when finished blocking.

It was great! I would switch to stepped preview when I began blocking, then with the tap of a hotkey…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Need a Multi-directional constrain with soft constrain effect (optional)

Need a Multi-directional constrain with soft constrain effect (optional)

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. FaceRobot plug-in way too slow

When you export the FaceRobot linked-shapes rig from SoftImage into Maya, the Maya implementation is way too slow to be used by animators. It creates a lot of those faceRobotShapeDriver nodes, but from what we can tell a lot of them are redundant, doing pretty much the same math per controller. If we could come up with a more efficient implementation that would be fantastic.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A.R.T. for Unreal Engine with MayaLT

A.R.T. is a animation and rigging toolset for Unreal Engine and Maya.
    I hope the engineers can enable ART exluslivly for MayaLT as I think that would be a huge timesaver for animators and gamedevelopers, so they dont have to send the files manually, everytime they have changed a animation in MayaLT.

A.R.T. is also very easy to use, so a gamedeveloper which have no experience with animation, A.R.T. could be very handy, if the developer dont have a animator on the team.

As A.R.T. is meant for use in gamedeveloping, I dont see why it shoulndt be enabled for…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Maya media player / Playblast Veiwer

Being an animator, it has always been a daunting task to view playblast. It doesn't matter which studio I am at, or which player I am using... QuickTime, VLC, Windows MediaClassic... there is always something that is missing or flawed. QuickTime is great, but it's laggy and slow and buggy sometimes. FrameCycler has been one of the best so far. But now that Adobe owns the company, it's not available anywhere.

I think it's time for a true playblast viewer for Maya. This "Maya Media Player" is light and simple. It combines the best of all worlds from players mentioned…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add 'paintable weights' to ALL deformers

Only a few deformers have paintable weights (Jiggle, BlendShape, Wire).. it would be nice if all of them have the same options. Starting with all the nonlinear deformers.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Crowd FX in Maya

Since Softimage is being discontinued it would be great to have a tool like CrowdFX in Maya. I am a Maya and Max user but I do use ICE and CrowdFX in Softimage as their is just nothing like it in any other Autodesk software. Populate recently came out in 3Dsmax but it has very little features and control. So having crowdFX inside of Maya would be a very welcomed addition.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Soft-select keyframes.

soft-select keyframe(s) will transform keys on same curve(s)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. graph editor- Spline selection buttons

it would be great to have drop down menu and 3 axis buttons in the graph editor that selected only and all splines based on x, y, and z axis of translation or rotation... for example... when you open the graph editor you get all splines on a control... in the case of animating a hand you have over 15 controls with 3 splines for rotate and a few for translate and also all splines on that node like FK/IK swap and blend parents, and a lot of splines that you would never really want selected at the same time...…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve motion trail workflow

There should be a transparent way of switching between an editable motion trail and a motion path over a 3d bezier curve (and even a nurbs curve), back and forth.
    It should be possible therefore to output a bezier curve from a motion trail.
    It would also be great if there was an simple way to convert between an anim curve and 3d curve, also in both senses.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve ghost tool

Update the ghosting tool to make it faster and more user friendly. Currently it's not really usable especially when ghosting character's geometry. Ghosting bones or controllers works better but it's not that useful when animating. To me having realtime ghosting isn't a priority, but the ability to see the previous and following character positions as "ghosts" would be really great.
    I'd imagine a tool where you'd first select a controller ( or a set of controllers ) that would give information on which frames have to be ghosted. Then select the geometry ( or geometries ) to be ghosted.
    Finally,…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base