Ideas for Maya forum

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas).

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya 2014, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Read Cory’s blog for more details.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Bevel creates extra edge/face when adding 2 or more segments

I am puzzled by this certain "feature" when beveling that no other software has. Check attached images to see what i mean.

In some situations that extra edge/face is useful but in probably 99.5% that is not what you want and since there is no option in bevel to remove it right there while you are beveling you have to manually select those extra edges or faces and delete them.
    That leads to numerous extra steps of tedious zooming in and selecting usually tiny edges or faces to remove them thus breaking the whole fast modeling workflow.

If you thinking…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for mentioning this, Klaudio. I’m marking this as ‘Under Review’ as it’s an issue we’ve already investigated when you brought it up originally on CGTalk. We’ve got a solution in the works, so although we can’t make any promises for unreleased software, rest assured our intention is to include the fix in a future release. The reason why you don’t see it in Maya 2015’s Extension release is that a fix like this requires code that changes the API, and we don’t do that for extension releases (in order for plug-ins designed to work for Maya 2015 to continue working for any extensions or service packs that come out for that release). Again, thanks for persisting – it reminds us that the work we’re doing is going to directly impact seasoned modelers like yourself.

2. Very Frustrated With Updates And Subscription Model

I have been a Maya user since the very first version of Maya, I must say that I am impressed with the improvements that Maya has had over the last year and a half. But I am a bit concerned with the way Maya is updating and the way that it is growing.

I primarily use Maya as a modeling tool. That being said, we are in a weird state in Maya right now where you have the normal Maya modeling tools and the modeling tool kit. And they don’t play nicely with each other…at all. (I can’t even predict…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to write up all of this, Nick. Your points are all valid and completely understood. I’m the designer who owns the area of modeling in Maya and I wanted to mention a few things in light of what you’ve shared.

Starting in the Summer of 2012, we built an internal team to focus exclusively on improving Modeling & UV workflows in Maya. Our first development work was delivered in the Maya 2013 Extension release (Fall 2012), where we improved a couple of things in modeling like Poly Reduce. In the follow-up release, Maya 2014, we introduced the Modeling Toolkit (amongst other things), which was essentially a basic integration of the popular NEX plug-in. We knew that Maya’s modeling feature set needed a significant boost and felt that the Modeling Toolkit would do that for us. It did. However, as you’re saying, the experience feels like…

3. UV unwrapping tool like 3D Coat, but without the curvy shapes it produces.

In 3D Coat there is a really great UV unwrapping workflow. Basically you select which edges you want to be seams and as you add or remove an edge it shows you a real time preview of what the unwrap will subsequently look like. Once you are happy you hit apply. This method of unwrapping is the fastest easiest way to unwrap complex mechanical models or simple shapes.

Unfortunately 3D Coat got the workflow right, but their unwrap algorithm is not great so you get curvy or wavy shells when you want perfect straight and uniform uv shells.

Could we…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatically switch to uv mode when opening the texture editor.

I still find it weird after all these years that when I open the uv editor I then have to select uv's from the component list before I can start working. Could we please just default the selection mode to uv's when you open the uv editor instead of defaulting it to nothing.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We need crowd system in our maya

I'm thinking that if Maya having the crowd system that is in 3D max it would be amazing thing. it will be so helpful Beside the crowd system in 3d max is just having many features we needing in Maya. I just thought about it that it would be very good thing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow rearrangement of non DAG nodes in outliner, especially in sets

Currently, its not possible to rearrange non-DAG nodes in the outliner and whats even worse, its not possible to rearrange non-DAG nodes in a set (the node ordering of non-DAG nodes in a set is not dependent on the index of the 'dnSetMembers' attribute connection whereas this is the case for connections to the 'dagSetMembers' attribute ).
    So, please allow for custom ordering. That would help a lot in the organization of all nodes in the outliner.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Folders to be created in Hypershade.

The Hypershade seems to be more difficult to manage when more environment and characters assets are introduced, it would be nice to have folders to manage textures as a pack for less confusion.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Screen Reference Coordinate System

Since the plan is to make Maya more modeling friendly, please bring the Screen Reference Coordinate System from 3ds Max to Maya. If you guys have a look at the top modelers (Max users) from the industry, all will tell you that this is one of the most important features of Max modeling tools, as it speeds the workflow A LOT by modeling correctly from perspective view.

Screen Reference Coordinate System

Uses the active viewport screen as the coordinate system.
    X is horizontal, running in a positive direction toward the right.
    Y is vertical, running in a positive direction upward. …

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better fillet on curves

Basically just the same feature as in MAX where you can select all the vertices on a curve and fillet them in one step. In Maya you now have to select all the vertices, separate them into several curves, then fillet two curves at the time, then the next two, then the next etc, then attach the curves back together.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Node editor shading network presets

It would be fantastic to have a system where we could set up a number of presets for shading networks.

So for instance, ramps hooked with sampler info in a particular way.

I could call this rampSamp

Then in the node editor to get a new network as my preset, I press tab - then type in rmapSamp. When I press Enter Maya creates a new network based on my preset.

This would save so much time on more complex networks. ;)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Play a Sound when render finish, like in After Effects

Maya need to have an alert when finish a render, like you ear in After Effects. The render end, then you ear a particular sound fx, that will be a thread mark of Maya.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A Render Queue integrated for multiple renderings, with proper and easy UI

A easy to use and auto configured render queue, that setup automatically to your local network, and with a simple queue install on other machines, make then slaves for render. automatically controlled from the master, that too is automatically set. All of this without any terminal command, only click to network render and done. in a proper UI for that inside maya, or standalone.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Layout Tools (from Bonus Tools) with a better file browser

Like the one in Modo or C4D, please!

For example it's a pain if you have well organized your libraries with lots of subfolders in the LayoutTool in Maya...

Regards

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Maya + Help DOCUMENTATION - UPDATE - NEWS - HIGHTLIGHT

Hi!

I do love the Maya system that shows what is new. I do have 2 suggestions.
    1) You guys could set GREEN color for what is NEW in MAYA and e.g BLUE for what have been updated.

2) For the HELP DOCUMENTATION
    I do love that system on left menu and content on right side. However I have to dig each page to find out what is new and what have been updated. Would be hard to have a option that we could TICK and activate a mode that the MENU on left side would change css to hightlight…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Straighten wavy edges tool in UV editor.

Could we please get a straighten edges tool in the UV editor like the one in UVDeluxe. Basically if your edges are slightly angular you can select all the uv's and planarize them to center average along u or v, or both. There is an angle tolerance as well which is helpful. This tool is extremely useful to fix areas of the unwrap which have unwanted curves to them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Camera based selection for objects

Right now camera based selection only works on components, when i have 1 object obscured by another if i drag select over one object it selects any objects withing my marquee which are behind and invisible!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Replace Maya cursors with Modeling Toolkit cursors, please bring back Hybrid Raycast/Marquee selection mode

Hi, I really love what you guys are doing for modeling! New pivot editing is just a dream. It's a very good move to integrate Modeling toolkit and then eventually get rid of it as a second layer. But two things you can do now to make it more robust, and it is fast to implement (SP update difficulty level :) ):

1. Unify cursors icons across Maya and Modeling toolkit, i believe modeling toolkit (dot for drag and cross-hair for marquee) cursors are much more robust than paintbrush for selecting faces/vertex/edges. Paintbrush is really an awkward to use in…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fix UI freeze when loading hypershade thumbnails

If I open a file with textures on a network drive, Maya has a tendency to thread lock and freeze up the UI when I open the textures tab, especially for missing files. This seems to be occurring during swatch generation.This has happened for many versions now, and never causes a crash report, but is probably my number one crash.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Light manipulators in viewport (light decay, cone angle, penumbra angle).

It would make easier to handle lights in viewport if manipulators were more accurate: taking care of proper decay, cone angle and intensity (or exposure).
    See the attached image.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. add smoothing and masking to Modeling Toolkit

The modeling toolkit in Maya is not bad, but it lacks features compared to R3D Diamant Tool. With R3D Diamant tool, I can not only drag the CVs, edge, or face out, but I can also smooth them too. Maya's Modeling toolkit should be similar to ZBrush too. With Zbrush, people can push in/out, smooth, and mask out certain areas.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base