Ideas for Maya forum

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas).

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya 2014, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Read Cory’s blog for more details.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Return Cut Faces tool to Faces markup menu

In Maya 2014 the cut faces tool was in the top right slot of the shift-RightClick markup menu when you had faces selected. It seems the tool is still in Maya and intact, but it has been removed from the markup menu, and nothing has been added in it's place. Could you please put it back?

P.S. I know that it's still in the object mode shift-RightClick menu, but I want it back in the faces one, so I don't have to toggle between component types to get to the tool using the markup menu. Currently I have moved it…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Replace Maya cursors with Modeling Toolkit cursors, please bring back Hybrid Raycast/Marquee selection mode

Hi, I really love what you guys are doing for modeling! New pivot editing is just a dream. It's a very good move to integrate Modeling toolkit and then eventually get rid of it as a second layer. But two things you can do now to make it more robust, and it is fast to implement (SP update difficulty level :) ):

1. Unify cursors icons across Maya and Modeling toolkit, i believe modeling toolkit (dot for drag and cross-hair for marquee) cursors are much more robust than paintbrush for selecting faces/vertex/edges. Paintbrush is really an awkward to use in…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bevel creates extra edge/face when adding 2 or more segments

I am puzzled by this certain "feature" when beveling that no other software has. Check attached images to see what i mean.

In some situations that extra edge/face is useful but in probably 99.5% that is not what you want and since there is no option in bevel to remove it right there while you are beveling you have to manually select those extra edges or faces and delete them.
    That leads to numerous extra steps of tedious zooming in and selecting usually tiny edges or faces to remove them thus breaking the whole fast modeling workflow.

If you thinking…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for mentioning this, Klaudio. I’m marking this as ‘Under Review’ as it’s an issue we’ve already investigated when you brought it up originally on CGTalk. We’ve got a solution in the works, so although we can’t make any promises for unreleased software, rest assured our intention is to include the fix in a future release. The reason why you don’t see it in Maya 2015’s Extension release is that a fix like this requires code that changes the API, and we don’t do that for extension releases (in order for plug-ins designed to work for Maya 2015 to continue working for any extensions or service packs that come out for that release). Again, thanks for persisting – it reminds us that the work we’re doing is going to directly impact seasoned modelers like yourself.

4. Very Frustrated With Updates And Subscription Model

I have been a Maya user since the very first version of Maya, I must say that I am impressed with the improvements that Maya has had over the last year and a half. But I am a bit concerned with the way Maya is updating and the way that it is growing.

I primarily use Maya as a modeling tool. That being said, we are in a weird state in Maya right now where you have the normal Maya modeling tools and the modeling tool kit. And they don’t play nicely with each other…at all. (I can’t even predict…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to write up all of this, Nick. Your points are all valid and completely understood. I’m the designer who owns the area of modeling in Maya and I wanted to mention a few things in light of what you’ve shared.

Starting in the Summer of 2012, we built an internal team to focus exclusively on improving Modeling & UV workflows in Maya. Our first development work was delivered in the Maya 2013 Extension release (Fall 2012), where we improved a couple of things in modeling like Poly Reduce. In the follow-up release, Maya 2014, we introduced the Modeling Toolkit (amongst other things), which was essentially a basic integration of the popular NEX plug-in. We knew that Maya’s modeling feature set needed a significant boost and felt that the Modeling Toolkit would do that for us. It did. However, as you’re saying, the experience feels like…

5. Fix Adding 0 Divisions Crashing Maya

When I'm working sometimes I put zero divisions in the add divisions to face options. If I click into another box it auto corrects to 1, but if I hit apply, maya crashes.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Folders to be created in Hypershade.

The Hypershade seems to be more difficult to manage when more environment and characters assets are introduced, it would be nice to have folders to manage textures as a pack for less confusion.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Real-time rendering in Mentalray similar to Autodesk Showcase

Real-time rendering with adjustable performance options.
    It will give another aspect to Maya.
    And its a difficult challenge.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bridge Tool - all options in one place

Bridge tool is one of those tools that has a lot of nice additional options beside just standard bridge command but, as it is, those options are all over the place which makes really inefficient workflow of switching between 3 windows : Modeling Toolkit - "old" Bridge Options - Attribute Editor ...and it could be just Modeling Toolkit.

I explained it a bit more in detail and made possible look of Bridge Tool options in Modeling Toolkit. Take is as idea/suggestion of possible look with features currently available in Maya and if you guys have some other ideas or other…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Select Surround Polygons and Edges as in Softimage and 3dsMax, and improve raycast.

Selection tools need to improve. Need to add a selection mode only those components that are fully hit the marquee.
    And need to improve raycast selection mode, now it work inaccurately. For example create box 8 8 8, select the faces of the upper camera angle in marquee mode, than look bottom of box, border bottom faces are selected too...

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Straighten wavy edges tool in UV editor.

Could we please get a straighten edges tool in the UV editor like the one in UVDeluxe. Basically if your edges are slightly angular you can select all the uv's and planarize them to center average along u or v, or both. There is an angle tolerance as well which is helpful. This tool is extremely useful to fix areas of the unwrap which have unwanted curves to them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Tools disable in the tools menu in 2015

Looses many tools in the tools menu in 2015. More precisely, all the new tools of 2015 disable themselves for no apparent reason. We have to reset preferences to get them back.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SCENES and PROJECTS

that when u open a project (e.g. your working on a commercial or animation) that with in that if every character or thing was animated in a different scene then u have final one with it all together. Make it possible that different scenes from the same project can be open at one time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix UI freeze when loading hypershade thumbnails

If I open a file with textures on a network drive, Maya has a tendency to thread lock and freeze up the UI when I open the textures tab, especially for missing files. This seems to be occurring during swatch generation.This has happened for many versions now, and never causes a crash report, but is probably my number one crash.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Tag common functions in drop-down menus with colors.

No matter how many times I use the viewport > "Show" (dropdown) menu, it still takes a moment to sift through the 30 or so options. Tagging a few favorites with a highlight color would make it much easier to navigate.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Autosave delay period

Hi Autodesk. Something I've found that disrupts my workflow tremendously is when Maya decides to autosave, but in the middle of a tool or hotkey operation. I use Toon Boom software a lot as well, and something I noticed in their user preferences was an option to delay autosave by a number of seconds to avoid interrupting the user. Maya could benefit greatly from a similar feature. My primary concern is that Maya somewhat breaks when it interrupts a tool or hotkey. For example, when I'm manipulating a key in the graph editor or scrubbing in the viewport, etc. I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix small fonts on 4K monitor

The fonts are too small in 3840 x 2160 resolution. It would be nice if this could be fixed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add checkbox for low priority rendering with mental ray

while rendering with mental ray, the workstation becomes nearly useless for doing other things while waiting for the render to finish (within maya and batchrendering).
    V-Ray has a low priotiy checkbox which does the job. It would be great having that checkbox for mental ray too.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve Crease workflow with better display (heatmap) and quick selections in the crease context.

If a modeler picks up someone else's work that uses creases on a complex model. It is hard to instantaneously see or get a feel for what edges have what creasing value and how to select sets of creased edges that share the same crease value. You can use selection sets but that workflow is a bit slow or could be improved for creases.

What I propose is an option to firstly display creasing on edges as a heatmap. Edges with low creasing = blue , medium creasing = green / yellow, high amount of creasing = red.

Secondly, when…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Better fillet on curves

Basically just the same feature as in MAX where you can select all the vertices on a curve and fillet them in one step. In Maya you now have to select all the vertices, separate them into several curves, then fillet two curves at the time, then the next two, then the next etc, then attach the curves back together.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Shatter effects: improvements and bug fixes (NEW TOOL)

Maybe this tool could be moved to polygon tab and improved with fragmentation by voronoi diagram (scale, position and divergence controls for point cloud). Bug fixes.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base