Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a node based script editor for visual scripting in Maya

It would be nice if Maya had some sort of visual scripting for artists. Something like blueprint in UE4 or XPresso in Cinema 4D.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Let Maya catch up with Houdini, Stop improving modeling tools, and start working on FX tools

since Maya 2008 Autodesk worked very hardly on improving modeling which easily can be replaced by a tens of other applications, but not working seriously on developing Dynamics... since Alias Maya 7 Autodesk added only few improvement tools like xGen which also can be replaced in my opinion and Bifrost which still needs alot of adjustments.. till now almost 90% of movies VFX are working on Houdini because Maya isn't sufficient enough.. At least include ICE in it.....

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mental Ray - A Real progressive Render Engine

The IPR it's almos obsolate, we need and a Real Progressive Render Engine inside of Maya, like:

+ Render Man.
    + VRAY
    + FurryBall
    + Arnold
    + Even Blender (Open Source) has one!

Thanks,
    Deo :)

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. MIrror Geometry could use a Flip UVs option

A common workflow for symmetrical models is to UV map 1/2 of the model, then mirror duplicate when done. Both Mirror Geometry and scaling @ -1 across the symmetry axis will copy the UVs, but they need to be flipped separately.

It would be a time-saving step if there were an option to flip the UVs (usually in U) in the tool.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make texture paths relative!

As someone who often has to switch between workstations when working on a project, the file path of the textures is very important. No matter how many times I save the files to relative, Maya always, ALWAYS, sets them to global. This is particularly annoying in the lighting/rendering stage, when I often have to link the files again to the project folder. The path SHOULD be relative if it's saved as relative.

There is a script to quickly rename all the files in a scene called "Clean Texture Paths" from Lightcraft, but this is only a temp solution to a…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Texture Baking

Maya Transfer maps is super slow, so plz update it with below feature.

>>>Generate a Normal, Derivative, Displacement/Height, Ambient Occlusion, Concavity and Convexity maps of selected object

>>>Ultra High Resolution Support

See Below Links

www.knaldtech.com
    www.knaldtech.com/docs/doku.php?id=welcome_to_knald
    www.xnormal.net/

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Scene File Preview Image Functionality.

Other platforms (not to be mentioned) have this incredibly handy feature that allows the user to see a snapshot preview image (automatically created on save) of their project file (scene file in Maya) in the OS browser AND within the application file browser. This is incredibly helpful when browsing through dozens of versions of a file so that a desired "state" of development can be easily selected as opposed to having to open each and every file to see its contents.

Let's add this to Maya as a super time saver! Thank you!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better uv tools

Recently i started using Ninja Dojo and it has some nice scripts such as:
    - Scale to Last ( Scales UV's to last selected object)
    -Quick scale (Scales UV's based on pixel ratio and texture size)
    -Check Ratio( Check Pixel Ration of selected uv object)
    -Tube Map ( Mapes tubes in a clean way)
    -Straighten Horizontal / Vertical ( straightens selectev uv's)
    -Align Center ( allights selected objects to center )
    -Store Target UV ( sets a source uv )
    -Match UV (Matches selected uv's by the source based on a tolerance slider).
    Ninja Dojo
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/ninja-dojo-grand-master-w-ninja-city

Also would be nice…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Maya2016 users beware. Update isn't compatible with Renderman, Redshift, and possibly more renderers.

It may be good for Autodesk to take initiative on this and get on it with various vendors to get this resolved ASAP despite that this is technically "3rd party issues". The API changes in Maya are the root cause. It would be stellar customer care to take the lead on this. Punting to the 3rd parties could be in very poor taste.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Unify Maya's (low poly) modelling tools

Hi,
    I propose to completely and finally unify the modelling toolkit and the (old) selection, moving, scaling and rotating tools.
    My biggest problem with the current concept (Maya 2015) is that I need to go to the old tools, when I want to have funktionality like:
    1. Preserving UVs
    2. Backface culling for selection
    3. Mirrored editing
    4. Selection with falloff.

I think there are significant workflow advantages to having all functionality concerning the same workflow in one place.

What I am saying is:
    Please, please, please, put all the functionality of all the basic selection/move/scale/rotation/modelling tools in one toolkit.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Xray Any Shape node

Hi,

I'm Character TD and Developer and I propose create a new node or a option to see any Shape node in Xray. Like joints, for example.

For me as Rigger some times need make Xray for other shapes. Mainly the Nurb Curves. I know that is possible programme a manipulator using Maya API. But it has a lot of limitations in shapes and not all the artists have this knowledge.

I think that a node to connect in between shapes and transform nodes or a option in shapes to see as Xray will be really useful.
    Anybody can connect…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Vertex Color tint Texture in Viewport 2.0 (Like Legacy Default Viewport)

Hi,

I use vertex colors to tint a simple material with a simple texture. In my case for Rigging Visualization options in viewport. Only one material and texture, multiple colored parts! :-D

Here an example:
    https://vimeo.com/97121110#t=0m30s

For video games is important to see the final result before export to the engines.

I attached two images with simple examples.
    First one, spheres multiple colors in Legacy Default Viewport.

Second one a comparative with the same scene in Legacy Default Viewport and Viewport 2.0

We can't use all the powerfull of Viewport 2.0 with this limitations.

Can you please, consider change it…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Mesh deformation to bone animation conversion tool

Hi,
    I think Maya really should have a tool that turns any kind of mesh-deformation into a bone animation. My reasoning is, that it is really useful in game-development and it allows artist to tweak simulation results.

I am basically talking about the tool shown in the video linked below:
    https://vimeo.com/123883474
    (the video pretty much speaks for itself)

I hope people here (and the devs) agree with me and we get this (or something like it) into Maya.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Hope to incorporate the functionality of the " Render Heads Vertex Chameleon " to Vertex Color Tool

"Render Heads Vertex Chameleon" has been very helpful in vertex color Editing in Game production ,but development will be terminated , can not be used with the latest Maya.

Maya's Vertex Color Tool is very poor when compared to Vertex Chameleon.

I want incorporate the Vertex Chameleon's function to Vertex Color Tool .

http://www.renderheads.com/portfolio/VertexChameleon/

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. conform(snap vertices) on a live surface along selected axis

Would be great to see option "conform using selected axis" that should give result similar to the right part of the attached image when moving vertices along one axis. Currently the standard conform command gives the result showed on the left side of the image.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Polygon Edge Crease Falloff/Crease Weight Map

Open Sub-Div creasing is really useful for maintaining volume on a design without making the mesh too complex.

I use this a lot for creating concept models for automotive design. It would be really great if you could add the ability to define a falloff when assigning creases to a selection of edges.

Example: A crease down the bodyside of a car that fades into the body shape.

You can see this functionality in Modo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doazrHltwa0

How it might work In Maya:

Make a selection - drag a falloff shape volume/or use bespoke weight paint tools to define crease…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. FUll Compositor Render Node inside of Maya

Will be incredible to have render layers inside of maya and pulish the render at the same time with a node compositiion render layer, with this the piline will be short and we can increase fast the quallity of our renders.

Example: http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/introduction-to-the-compositor/

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. If Maya has a option of changing selected keys colors in time liner to get idea of animation blocking keys and polishing keys ...

When we animate any object , we first do blocking and then detail animation . So if we have option of changing the selected keys color in time slider from red to some other selected colors it would be great. So that we can differentiate which keys ' I used for blocking stage and which are belongs to polishing stage . Its just my opinion . If you think my Idea is good for working in the software . please provide it in your next release versions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base