Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Polygon Edge Crease Falloff/Crease Weight Map

Open Sub-Div creasing is really useful for maintaining volume on a design without making the mesh too complex.

I use this a lot for creating concept models for automotive design. It would be really great if you could add the ability to define a falloff when assigning creases to a selection of edges.

Example: A crease down the bodyside of a car that fades into the body shape.

You can see this functionality in Modo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doazrHltwa0

How it might work In Maya:

Make a selection - drag a falloff shape volume/or use bespoke weight paint tools to define crease…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mental Ray - A Real progressive Render Engine

The IPR it's almos obsolate, we need and a Real Progressive Render Engine inside of Maya, like:

+ Render Man.
    + VRAY
    + FurryBall
    + Arnold
    + Even Blender (Open Source) has one!

Thanks,
    Deo :)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. FUll Compositor Render Node inside of Maya

Will be incredible to have render layers inside of maya and pulish the render at the same time with a node compositiion render layer, with this the piline will be short and we can increase fast the quallity of our renders.

Example: http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/introduction-to-the-compositor/

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Put out some NEW tutorials for LT 2016

I got Maya LT from Steam about 3 weeks ago and started going through some easy to follow tutorials from Autodesk, the 101s and the a few modeling (of the cat). 2 or 3 days ago steam auto updated me to 2016. (I wish I could go back until there was more help out for 2016.) The shape geometry is moved. There is not more "normals" in the hot box. I can't shape a square on the subdivision levels (when you make it a sphere). I'm not saying this is broken i'm just saying I want some simple howto videos…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create a node based script editor for visual scripting in Maya

It would be nice if Maya had some sort of visual scripting for artists. Something like blueprint in UE4 or XPresso in Cinema 4D.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Increment & Save Improvement

For eg. if I use version like v001 at the end of the file name
    Increment & Save will produce file name like this:

CoffeMachine_v001.0001.mb

My suggestion would be an expression based incremental save option to adjust padding version character, etc.

For eg.:

{BaseFileName}_{versionChar}{padding}

so the user would enter something like this to describe a specify versioning:

{BaseFileName}_{v}{000}

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Put the Modelling Toolkit toggle into "UI Elements" and the East marking menu of the Hotbox

The switch for the Modelling Toolkit is hard to find.
    As a UI element it should reside in the "UI Elements" menu and should also be accessable in the east marking menu of the Hotbox (replace the "Layer Editor" entry, its useless).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fix attribute editor and add stack like in 3ds max

I don't like the tab layout in the attribute editor, where you have to scroll for ages horizontally to view all your tabs/attributes, it doens't give you a good overview. So you have to scroll in order to find the tab/attribute you are looking for, then when you find the tab you are looking for you must click it, but you can't click it if it's selected, which it probably is since the scroll also moves the selection (but doesn't update the Attribute editor settings), so then you have to click another tab and then reclick the tab you wanted…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. More Mouse Customization and More Marque Selection

For mouse customization. It would be nice to default the right click selection to only a few things, such as Vertex, Face, Edges, Move, Scale, Rotate, Isolate, X-Ray. And this could be done in like a radial option. Additionally, what I really don't like is that you have to hold the right mouse button down during this whole process. Is it possible to just click once to active it, and move around to select your object, and if you accidentally right clicked you can either hit escape or right click again to deactivate it. Many times while modeling and using…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Toggle Switch to Hide/Unhide all floating windows (like Photoshop + TAB)

During any given Maya session the amount of floating windows a user needs to have open to work can amount to quite a few. We can't dock 'em all after all. These floating windows can, and often do, get it the way of things. Especially when all we want to do is quickly do something in Maya's main window. Having to shuffle floating windows out of the way is a real pain that costs a lot of time and breaks an artist's workflow. It would be better to have an easy way to temporarily hide all floating windows. Photoshop does…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Display more information in the Help Line

The Help Line is a long element across the whole Maya window, and all it does is to display short help messages and sometimes the values of the current tool.

There is enought space to display more useful things like:

Number of selected objects/components (HUD only displays objects)
    Memory/CPU usage
    Time since last save ;)
    current Repeat (G) command
    Last thing in the Undo stack
    # of keyframed channels on the current frame
    + some of the things from the HUD
    etc.

Maybe you could divide the help line into four sections:
    - left bound
    - left of center
    -…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Better uv tools

Recently i started using Ninja Dojo and it has some nice scripts such as:
    - Scale to Last ( Scales UV's to last selected object)
    -Quick scale (Scales UV's based on pixel ratio and texture size)
    -Check Ratio( Check Pixel Ration of selected uv object)
    -Tube Map ( Mapes tubes in a clean way)
    -Straighten Horizontal / Vertical ( straightens selectev uv's)
    -Align Center ( allights selected objects to center )
    -Store Target UV ( sets a source uv )
    -Match UV (Matches selected uv's by the source based on a tolerance slider).
    Ninja Dojo
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/ninja-dojo-grand-master-w-ninja-city

Also would be nice…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. custom icons

It would be nice if (transform) nodes would have a field for a custom icon to be loaded in, similar to how containers can be given custom icons (which show in both the outliner and node editors). Possibly something to add under the Display tab?

It greatly benefits complex rigs for example, where certain transforms play a very distinct role. In the attached image you can see an example of nodes being used as 'connectors', used to connect different components of a modular rig. (I used containers here, but there are major drawbacks in (ab)using containers as regular transforms)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. node identification by string attribute

I had this idea because its impossible to rename referenced nodes.
    If I have a referenced node a hundred times I have difficulties finding the correct referenced node.

You know its possible to add a dynamic string attribute to a node. It would be nice if there would be an option for the outliner and other UI elements ( -> node name for hypershade/nodeEditor icons ) for displaying the value of the specified string attribute instead of the true node name.
    And it would be also nice if the 'ls' command could have a flag for specifiying the string attribute…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Prevent Lagging by Saving Detail in a Special New Layer.

Maya can crash when overworked. But, when working with a hi-poly model you can't simply reduce the number of polygons and later increase it; you will lose detail. What if you could save the geometry of your model to a different special layer, that is used as simply a placeholder for all the vertices. You could then reduce your quality, and Maya would no longer lag when doing things such as rig, texture, light etc... When finished you could re-apply the special layer giving the model back its poly count, and losing none of the detail.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Mirror Driven Key And filp the model vertex position for blendshape

I saw people write the script It can mirror the driven key:

https://vimeo.com/48283237

Besides, I did the blendshape from left side, I need mirror it but I would not like to change the vertex index. I also need to download the script from internet.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. mental ray translation opencl

translation in mental ray is very slow and unstable great idea use opencl for this process

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Soft-select keyframes.

soft-select keyframe(s) will transform keys on same curve(s)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Implement Nightshade UV Editor into Maya

Nightshade UV Editor is an extension to Maya's default UV editor which add a ton of new and efficient features and an intuitive UI. You will be surprised how lacking the native editor actually is when you take a look at this tool. It is being developed by an aspiring Technical Artist from Sweden.

It comes with features like:
    Orient UV shells, Straighten UV shells, Align UV shells, Stack shells, Randomize shells, etc.

Link:
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/nightshade-uv-editor

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base