Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Interactive Bevels in Maya

Having interactive bevels on selection like this video shows it's possible with the addition of some Soup nodes, would be a major improvement to Maya modeling workflow. Being able to add and subtract bevels on selected edges on the fly , would make for a 10 stars addition to Maya's modeling toolset. Please consider this!
    https://vimeo.com/146695098

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Convert face,edge,vertex selection to loop-selection patterns

During complex hard surface modeling we need to be able to quickly make loop like selection patterns. Say you select one face, one gap,one face and then you need the software to continue the selection pattern for you in a loop. So whatever the selection you make first locally, Maya should be able to convert it in a loop pattern.
    I added an image to show what I mean. Also at 4.47 you can see in the link here how Modo handles that. This should be a major addition to the selection palette in Maya.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4uzIE1Q6n4

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Straighten UV Brush Tool for UV Editor

Hi,

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion better than a hundred of words.

Maya feedback program already has a bunch of requests for new UV Editing tools in Maya, with one of them being a Straighten UV functionality, as can be seen in this topics:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/5868505-straighten-uv-tool-like-the-one-in-roadkill

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/7246950-better-uv-tools

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/6438509-straighten-wavy-edges-tool-in-uv-editor

Straighten UV is a very handy and demanded feature that allows artists to improve their UVs for hard-surface objects, ultimately leading to less pixel aliasing on textures, easier texture painting and overall better texturing results. The task of straightening UVs can be found in another 3D…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hobbyist pricing for Maya, and other products.

If you're a student, you get Maya free for three years. After that, there is a considerable jump in price - thousands of dollars.

I'd like to see low cost options for those who don't make any money with Maya, with increments for those who do, based on the amount of money they make with it. The game engine Unity3D works this way. It's free until you make $100k per year. Unreal charges 5% of your income, but only if you make a certain amount.

A sliding scale for Maya would allow students to continue to use the product long…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Interactive Retopology

An interactive approach to retopologising the mesh as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K5CyQB_kc

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Extending selection along nearby edge (drag along edge) without D- align

An easy to implement feature to extend (!) a selection along a nearby edge would be great. Right now I have do D select (align) to an edge first and then grab the gizmo and move. That feels so disruptive and unnecessary. Why not just make a the edges closest to the selection light up like a gizmo handle and make instant extend drag possible. (a tiny popup over the curser saying "along") Should be very easy to implement and would simplify one of the most used extend methods while poly modeling

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. A modern search system in Maya

It's the year 2016 and we still have to use an ancient search in Maya.

Say if we want to find lambert1 in the Hypershade.

We can't just type lamb for Maya to automatically guess, rather we have to type in lamb* or the whole name.

The technology exists because the autocomplete works really well in the node editor.

This same search upgrade should be used with the outliner and other areas of Maya.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3D Sound (renderer) within the scene

To be able to place sound nodes in a scene, would be great.
    For example: attach a sound to an (moving) object and get a 5.1 output from an mic attached to the camera to get the the disered effect corresponding to the place and speed(doppler) of that object.
    And maybe reverb/echo parameters to simulate the influence certain materials/surfaces have on sound?
    The ability to use certain rules to trigger a sound (e.g. generate a footstep sound on collision) would make timing a lot easier!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Combine name

Now that you have options for combine, could you add an option to keep the name of the last selected object as well? We have this made inhouse since a few years but it's always fun to get it out of box

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Undo Checkpoints

Undo Checkpoints: the possibility to undo directly to a specific time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Array types in MArgDatabase/MArgList

MArgDatabase is extremely limited in the argument types that can be parsed in a plug-in command. For example, it does not allow doubleArray, stringArray, matrix, etc.

MArgList enables custom parsing (as shown in the "skinClusterWeights" example in the devkit.) However, the flags will not work if the command is called from python.

Please allow us to parse array argument types in a way that is consistent between MEL and python calls - Either enable MArgDatabase to parse the same argument types as MArgList, or enable MArgList to work with python!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shortcut Based modelling workflow (not mouse pies)

Hi, I would like to see some elements that I've found in Modo really enjoyable for example loopSlice with the option to increase/decrease no of edges using A-D or whatever. Select every n-th edge or vertex based on current selection by using Up arrow and small things like these that make's modeling much more enjoyable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. A "smart" perspective camera with snapping and auto-orthographic mode

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion — see it to get a quick idea.

Hi,

Latest release of Maya 2016 Extension 2 saw several and quite useful new features for camera controls, including the View Along Axis commands. Together with overall modeling improvements introduced over previous versions and the Extension 2, the modeling workflow in Maya has already become much more fun and artist-friendly. I think that while the development of new camera control features probably is still hot, we can make another step in this direction and further improve the modeling experience in…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Retain most recent file, under File > Recent Files >, if Maya crashes

If a user opens a maya file, works in it and the program crashes... the user will not see that file in the File > Recent Files > sub-menu. The only way to ensure a file will show up in that menu is by opening the file and closing down Maya normally.

In the event Maya crashes, it would be ideal for the recent file to visible in the Recent Files menu.

I am using Maya 2014 as the example, please correct me if it's been addressed in a later version. :)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Midi Plugin for Maya

Please provide a Midi plugin with all releases of Maya to allow users to connect Midi hardware (keyboard or controller like the Behringer BCF2000) or software (like Touch OSC app on iPad) to channels/functions in Maya.

I like to control channels with knobs/faders, launch commands with buttons/pads/keyboard (play, stop, set keyframe), or animate by recording value changes.

All modern Midi devices are fully configurable. A receiving node in Maya should be able to react on all incoming message types.

IMPORTANT: Such a Midi node should also SEND values when they change in Maya (time changes, value changes, etc.) to display…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Multi-cut tool improvement from XSI

Hello! I'd like to suggest to improve the behavior of multicut tool. XSI has a perfect implementation of cut tool - I can start cut line from outside of the mesh or arbitrary point inside mesh or snap to some vertex. And I can define the end point absolutely the same way. After the start and end are placed, I can freely move them outside of the mesh or snap to where I want.
    Current implementation of maya mutli-cut tool is very limited in terms I described above. I can start cutting EITHER from the point inside the mesh and…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Channel Box: Click and drag to slide for value change

Right now, you can easily and precisely translate, rotate or scale one or more values by marking value names in the channel box and use the middle mouse button to slide the values up and down in the 3D view-port.

But this is a two click operation. In other programs like Unity you can simply drag and slide once on the name it self and change the value. This is really nice, and also intuitive for people who know about this feature from other software.

The nice thing about Maya that crashes a little with this functionality is that you…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base