Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. node identification by string attribute

I had this idea because its impossible to rename referenced nodes.
    If I have a referenced node a hundred times I have difficulties finding the correct referenced node.

You know its possible to add a dynamic string attribute to a node. It would be nice if there would be an option for the outliner and other UI elements ( -> node name for hypershade/nodeEditor icons ) for displaying the value of the specified string attribute instead of the true node name.
    And it would be also nice if the 'ls' command could have a flag for specifiying the string attribute…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mirror Driven Key And filp the model vertex position for blendshape

I saw people write the script It can mirror the driven key:

https://vimeo.com/48283237

Besides, I did the blendshape from left side, I need mirror it but I would not like to change the vertex index. I also need to download the script from internet.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Soft-select keyframes.

soft-select keyframe(s) will transform keys on same curve(s)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Implement Nightshade UV Editor into Maya

Nightshade UV Editor is an extension to Maya's default UV editor which add a ton of new and efficient features and an intuitive UI. You will be surprised how lacking the native editor actually is when you take a look at this tool. It is being developed by an aspiring Technical Artist from Sweden.

It comes with features like:
    Orient UV shells, Straighten UV shells, Align UV shells, Stack shells, Randomize shells, etc.

Link:
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/nightshade-uv-editor

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Golden Ratio tool

hello. Golden Ratio rule is used on arts by famous artists(for example Da vinci) since renaissance era. Why dont we use it on maya for modelling. it could be very helpfull tool for artists. here s some golden ratio tools ; it will be very helpfull for designing human body; face ; some animal parts also golden ratio is used in architecture. This tool could be very helpfull. thankyou.
    here is some picture for golden ratio tool;
    http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz/product_images/n/279/20121029_tool_images_0069_grande__46285_zoom.jpg
    http://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/golden-section-gauge.gif
    and there s a video to learn where we use golden ratio;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46f6ozRTVsU
    At the and of video (last 2 minutes)…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Scale Generator System

There has never been an available procedural system for creating scales for reptiles. There should be a controllable system where you can populate a surface with scales and describe them in size, shape, and profile. It's better than geometrically modeling scales and painting them on, especially if the models are going to move and scales can't stretch.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Artist-Friendly and Controllable Hair/Fur System

Either make XGen more artist-friendly without relying on expressions or get a new hair/fur system that is very similar the proprietary hair/fur tools used by Weta Digital, MPC, and Double Negative.

http://www.moving-picture.com/documents/FurtilityDynamicWolfman.pdf

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/barbershop-at-weta-sci-tech-winner-explained/

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Ability To Sort All Selected Objects In Outliner In Alphabetic Order

Frequently I'll have a very large scene and I want to reorganize the hierarchy in the outliner. However, by default objects appear in the outliner in creation order instead of alphabetically. Same when importing a whole bunch of objects from other applications. It would be nice to select objects in the outliner and have a utility to rearrange them in alphabetic order. This would allow for easier organization, and easier outliner selection to group similar objects, etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Context menu (r-click) on a reference file (in ref. editor) > Open File (opens original file)

Often, I find I need to make an edit to a file being referenced into my scene. This would be a nice shortcut to open a referenced file for edit, rather than navigating hundreds of files on the server.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save script in scene file

Taken from Houdini, the ability to save a script in the scene file.

My suggestion would be, to create a window similar to The Expression Editor, where you can define a name, for instance 'charSelect' and choose a language (or just Python).

The you can write code.

To run this, in Houdini you'd simply type hou.session.charSelect() in the command line.

I think a similar function would be awesome.
    Basically, saving a script within the scene file, in a similar fashion as expressions are currently, and being able to run that session code from the command line.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Timeline indicator for batch render progress

A simple ghosted hash timeline indicator of the frame you are on while batch rendering in Maya would be quite nice.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve outliner filtering methods, filter by type

Being able to filter scene contents by type in addition to the current object name would really help when dealing with scenes.

ie: imagine typing something similar to "t:gammaCorrect" to get all gamma corrects in the scene, rather than having to rely on people naming them something similar to "gc_*" and then filtering for that...

examples: t:camera, t:transform, t:file, t:place2dTexture

Yes I'm aware that probably "t:" isn't the best option as it would be considered namespace "t" but it was just to illustrate a point. Consider changing this to @, #, ~, ?, %, [$type], etc...

Also, it would really…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve and coordinate the attribute, like this model

Hello Sir,
    greetings
    excuse me sir but
    I think the look of the attribute editor in autodesk maya is not that good, I think the tabs should be a little bit smaller and it should be more arrangable..

and here is a suggestion
    1-
    http://im71.gulfup.com/pTPeK3.jpg
    2-
    http://im71.gulfup.com/AP6c3p.jpg
    3-
    http://im53.gulfup.com/bSj5eG.jpg

Thank you

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Previewable 4:3 ratio while in 16:9 camera view

It'd be nice to have the option to preview both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios while in looking through a camera view. Currently Maya cameras only support one of these.

Something like pro cameramen have: http://i.imgur.com/IV3qUaf.jpg

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Maya LT Linux support.

I know that Maya LT team is too small to maintain the support for Linux distributions.

Source : http://steamcommunity.com/app/243580/discussions/0/540743032465685985/#c540743213316314421

But it would be wonderful to have Linux support for Maya LT. We are eagerly waiting.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. please turn off nex polygon modeling whateveritis tool.

Maya is not made only for modeling. During past 15 years there are thousands of usefull user made custom tools, wich are distructed by this plug-in. such are. Custom made marking menus, one for change selection mode to any vertices in scene, or turn it to object selection mode, or just simple select nothing and change sel. mode to object Maya turns on NEX modeling tool and forcing me as a user to do everything through thatt plug in..I do need old fashion selection of faces/edges vertices for rigging, or any other kind of setup, it just made bugs because…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Timeline scrub

What would be really, really nifty is if the timeline had an option (checkbox, etc), say next to the play controls, to limit scrub to (realtime or whatever FPS you are animating at) so that (when the option is checked or enabled) and you scrub on the actual timeline quickly, the scrub speed would never exceed that of the FPS, so that when you scrub the timeline (at or above the set FPS), it would scrub only as fast as the FPS giving you 'realtime' animation vs having to hit the play button to get 'realtime' feedback.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Better pivot tool (Insert) for objects

The pivot tools in maya need work, currently if someone wants to rotate an objects pivot u need to select the object, go into component mode and turn on the question mark, then u need to select the pivot but if u want to move the pivot u need to go into object mode. Max has a great way of manipulating the pivot either but rotating or moving it in the same place and it would be nice to be as easy as that, also manually imputing values for rotation while in pivot editing mode would be great as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Cut to Quad Draw Tool

I find myself switch between Quad Draw tool and Multi-Cut tool a lot when modeling clothes. The Quad Draw tool already support inserting edge loops. It would be good that Quad Draw tool has cut feature as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base