Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A modern Viewport 2.0 multi-purpose shader for pre-visualization.

I don't think DX11 shading is enough unfortunately. As a Maya user that works on OS X it is obviously not an option at all for me.

I believe it would be perfectly possible to create a dedicated and modern shader specifically for Viewport 2.0 to create quick but excellent looking approximations of a modern physically based shader used by many popular renderers today.

-Diffuse Color Input, Diffuse Amount
    -Reflection Color Input, Reflection Amount
    -Reflection Glossiness/Roughness
    -Reflection/Environment map (for doing fake real-time reflections, any image could be used or even procedurals like ramps, etc.)
    -Transparency (I would imagine real-time refraction…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bevels like Softimage

I know you have done a lot of work on bevels lately, but honestly the beveling in Softimage is still the best in the industry. I would love it if you could make bevels work and have the functions that are available with softimage.

A big one is collision detection. When bevel components hit each other they seamlessly merge and weld preventing geometry from passing into each other.

Also, it just seems like the bevels work on more complex geometry than any other modeling package. I can't tell you the number of times in both Max and Maya when I…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Features for MultiCut and Modelling Toolkit to reduce the need to switch tools

Hi I am senior modeler and I work a lot in Maya. I would love to leave some suggestions to improving the modeling toolkit tools and even suggesting a new Pro Modeling Mode / Ueber Tool to improve speed and decrease the need to switch tools and and the use of custom hotkeys and hotboxes

But first the functionalities I would like to see added to the MultiCut tool that I think would make it by far the most usefull tool in MTK:

Create Edge: LMB on Edge or Vertex + Shift for snapping in increments when on an Edge…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to hide Node editor in Hypershade window

Its not possible to hide the node editor from the Hypershade as you can with the browser etc. See menu in image below.

http://1drv.ms/1IaV3qL

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cage Deformer from Softimage in Maya

Lattice is all good and sweet but in most cases Lattice as is (square shape) is not quite what you want, not accurate and not very flexible.
    I don't do animation a lot, mostly i am modeling and every time i use Lattice i wish it could be in another "custom" shape whether that is low res of original mesh or some other arbitrary mash.

For example:
    1. Duplicate initial (low res) mash
    2. Apply smooth on original or press 3
    3. Add low res duplicate as cage deformer to deform original
    with it.

It is important that i works…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. modern cel shading

Cel shading or Toon shading shaders and their workflow in Maya/MR is outdated. It didn't evolve much and, In general the results are mediocre, the whole pipeline is unintuitive, almost like a nightmare and almost impossible to achieve fluid toon lines (for outline and inside shading).

What MentalRay for Maya can achieve is a far cry from a fluid an elegant 2D cell shade look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkudnrTj_sI

https://vimeo.com/125144720

We need modern tools and shaders that are intuitive and robust enabling artist to achieve cel shaded images that are impossible to know if its done by hand or in Maya/MR.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create a node based script editor for visual scripting in Maya

It would be nice if Maya had some sort of visual scripting for artists. Something like blueprint in UE4 or XPresso in Cinema 4D.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Top Linear Menus to Marking Menus

Benefits:

1. Shorter mouse drags required to reach linear menu options

2. Helps avoid the menu being offset from cursor due to accommodating an overloaded bottom linear menu.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make texture bake tools such as the Transfer Maps tool Multithreaded

The Transfer Maps tool only uses one core and can be excruciatingly slow at times. Especially at higher quality levels. It would be really nice to have this multithreaded.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Maya Shatter has never worked... never been revisted.. Please recode this.

The current algorithm for Maya's shatter function is completely inoperable and has been for years. I'm sick of constantly having 3rd party solutions that work 10x better dangle in front of my face for more money when I paid for a product that is supposed to work out of the box.

I've tried on probably 4 totally simple geometry types for solid shatter and I just contantly get errors..

" An error occurred while running the Solid Shatter script."

Vague much guys? sighs.. Frustrations.

This example was done with solid shatter defaults, 5 shards...

Heaven forbid I actually have to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Redefine Scene interface.

So this is what I was thinking when I was working with maya (please credits if you like or better, hire me XD)

So notice how working on a single scene/file is rather cumbersome when it comes to creating a large scenes? Say modeling an entire room with bed, walls, tables, closet, tv (you name it). When I model, say the TV. The tv is composed of many pieces that you have to model individually and then put together right? and I often model the same piece a few times to test the best edgeflow. So if you are a…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. GPU Cache needs offset frame, looping, speed, etc

The maya GPU cache has amazing performance, much better than Alembic, but it lacks some of the options that the Alembic has, such as playback looping, offset frame, and speed scaling.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Face Robot for Maya

Coming from Softimage, I am starting to learn a bit more about Maya. However, I thought it would be a nice idea to integrate Face Robot that was in Softimage into Maya. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same thing, but something akin to Face Robot would be great, especially if it lost some of the limitations that were present in Softimage - extending it to a full rig and perhaps evolving it more to work on the whole body.

Face Robot would be a 'show-stopper' and a big added feature.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. We need a smart crowed system as a default plug-in in maya !

We need a crowed system we can work on that easily as in 3d Max it would solve many problems and would improve the artists workflow much better...

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. realtime GI and reflaction and better post effect for viewport 2

( light fog - light lens effect - camera lens flare - glow effect - bokeh and more ...) same marmoset or substance paiter viewport .

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Sculpting Hair

I saw the autodesk future of modeling video and sculpting hair would be a great, interacting with actual hairs instead of guides. You should borrow some technology from Weta Digital's Barbershop system. It does exactly that. http://www.fxguide.com/featured/barbershop-at-weta-sci-tech-winner-explained/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The new Cut/Sew UV Tools

The new Cut and Sew tools make incredibly difficult to move and sew without distortion. Nor can one cut based on existing edge selections. Both were possible and easy with the previous toolset. The new tools are slow, and sloppy in action... They may have simplified some things, but they limit several essential and efficient workflows....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a Material Shelf like in Mudbox for Maya 2016

Add a Material Shelf like in Mudbox for Maya 2016
    (since you already recently integrated the sculpting tools from mudbox as a shelf... what about those awesome material tools... as another separate shelf)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Quick search and sorting objects in outliner & hypershade.

Dear Autodesk! Please make very useful feature. My new idea is to create quick searching and sorting of objects in outliner and hypershade.
    I think this will interest many.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base