Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Straighten UV Brush Tool for UV Editor

Hi,

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion better than a hundred of words.

Maya feedback program already has a bunch of requests for new UV Editing tools in Maya, with one of them being a Straighten UV functionality, as can be seen in this topics:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/5868505-straighten-uv-tool-like-the-one-in-roadkill

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/7246950-better-uv-tools

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/6438509-straighten-wavy-edges-tool-in-uv-editor

Straighten UV is a very handy and demanded feature that allows artists to improve their UVs for hard-surface objects, ultimately leading to less pixel aliasing on textures, easier texture painting and overall better texturing results. The task of straightening UVs can be found in another 3D…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Interactive Retopology

An interactive approach to retopologising the mesh as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K5CyQB_kc

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Combine name

Now that you have options for combine, could you add an option to keep the name of the last selected object as well? We have this made inhouse since a few years but it's always fun to get it out of box

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. A "smart" perspective camera with snapping and auto-orthographic mode

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion — see it to get a quick idea.

Hi,

Latest release of Maya 2016 Extension 2 saw several and quite useful new features for camera controls, including the View Along Axis commands. Together with overall modeling improvements introduced over previous versions and the Extension 2, the modeling workflow in Maya has already become much more fun and artist-friendly. I think that while the development of new camera control features probably is still hot, we can make another step in this direction and further improve the modeling experience in…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multi-cut tool improvement from XSI

Hello! I'd like to suggest to improve the behavior of multicut tool. XSI has a perfect implementation of cut tool - I can start cut line from outside of the mesh or arbitrary point inside mesh or snap to some vertex. And I can define the end point absolutely the same way. After the start and end are placed, I can freely move them outside of the mesh or snap to where I want.
    Current implementation of maya mutli-cut tool is very limited in terms I described above. I can start cutting EITHER from the point inside the mesh and…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Channel Box: Click and drag to slide for value change

Right now, you can easily and precisely translate, rotate or scale one or more values by marking value names in the channel box and use the middle mouse button to slide the values up and down in the 3D view-port.

But this is a two click operation. In other programs like Unity you can simply drag and slide once on the name it self and change the value. This is really nice, and also intuitive for people who know about this feature from other software.

The nice thing about Maya that crashes a little with this functionality is that you…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Easier copying of keys in Graph Editor.

I think copy/paste operations in the Graph Editor should (and could with little effort) be far easier than they are now.

The things that I'd change to achieve this would be:

- Include Copy / Paste / Paste Connect in the Graph Editor's contextual menú (as it is now in the main Timeline contextual menu).
    - Add standard hotkeys to the Copy & Paste functions (perhaps Ctrl+Shift+c and Ctrl+Shift+v ? ...I know Ctrl+Shift+c is currently used by Create Camera From View, but you don't go creating cameras as much as you do copying keys, after all. ;-) ).

Thanks for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Give us a mel/python command that allows us to query the connections when we select the link/line that connects nodes in every node editor

Right now we can move those spaghetti links around, select them and delete them, but we can't query them through a command when selected?!

It would useful if one could select the links in a node editor or Hypergraph, query their connections and then run a script that will insert a node in between them automatically. It would be something reminiscent to the way nuke inserts a node when you hovering it over a link that is connecting two different nodes.

Right now to do this we have to list the nodes in question, query the attributes to see if…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support Arnold to Maya mainly

Honestly renderer Mental Ray is very failed .... Please support Arnold to Maya mainly

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Camera movement like unreal engine 4 (Shift + move tool, Bring the camera along for the ride)

Shift+move tool would be a really bug improvement on Maya and Maya LT. I don't enjoy moving an object around then having to move the camera around separately. adding Shift + move tool would allow the camera to come along for the ride.

see the following link from UE4 for more details: https://youtu.be/yNsKAntWiB0?t=16s

i know this is already posted in the LT feedback but not to many people adventure to the LT part of this feedback stuff. :)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Save Display/Animation/Render Layer configurations as presets per scene

We need a way to save different layer configurations: visibility, wire color, etc per scene.
    This would be extremely helpful for product configurations, where you have a bunch of parts that can be combined to create different versions of a product. It would be great if we could save the layer visibility as a preset and quickly swap between versions of the object without having to toggle a bunch of layers on and off

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. save preferences to Autodesk account

This is nice feature that Adobe products have, so you can save preferences (hotkeys, colors, even shelves) directly from maya to your autodesk account , so wherever you go you can just log on any computer with maya and be rdy to go, not to mention much easier reinstalls etc.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enhance Select Similar to work with Objects

Enhance Select Similar to select similar objects based on topology similarity via threshold, rather than node similarity, right now it just selects all polygon objects which is redundant feature, instead make it select objects with similar topology or shape.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. If double click on an object inside a group it will select the group

Say you have five boxes inside a group, if you (double click) on one of them it will select the entire group. (like it's doing the up-arrow thing but with double click on the object)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. QuadChamfer & procedural workflow for Maya!!!

I like Maya but I feel sometimes my workflow could be much faster in 3ds Max. How hard would it be to implement something like quad chamfer for Maya?
    There a polycount thread of someone really close to creating something similar http://polycount.com/discussion/164254/maya-surface-based-asset-generation
    Also when will Maya have a procedural generated workflow implemented?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Maya Fluids FX Improvement

Maya Fluids FX have not been updated since Maya 2011/2012.
    It's time to update this set of fluid simulation tools with improved performance and stability, new fields (maybe customizable), and another great feature wuold be a Multiscatter self illumination like Fumefx or Houdini. Please dont't look at bifrost new gas solver beacouse it's a very poor quality solver.
    Thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. What if there is a search bar? get to the tool just by typing.

One little search bar, Type the tool, get to it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Maya 2016.5 EXT2 - node editor - connection popup slow

when hoovering over a connection in the new node editor, it takes about a second until this info flashes up. it used to be really quick and it should be instantly again, since some of us are using the nodes without expanding them. it makes inspecting the node graph really time consuming.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base