Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Straighten UV Brush Tool for UV Editor

Hi,

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion better than a hundred of words.

Maya feedback program already has a bunch of requests for new UV Editing tools in Maya, with one of them being a Straighten UV functionality, as can be seen in this topics:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/5868505-straighten-uv-tool-like-the-one-in-roadkill

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/7246950-better-uv-tools

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/6438509-straighten-wavy-edges-tool-in-uv-editor

Straighten UV is a very handy and demanded feature that allows artists to improve their UVs for hard-surface objects, ultimately leading to less pixel aliasing on textures, easier texture painting and overall better texturing results. The task of straightening UVs can be found in another 3D…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Interactive Retopology

An interactive approach to retopologising the mesh as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K5CyQB_kc

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Save Display/Animation/Render Layer configurations as presets per scene

We need a way to save different layer configurations: visibility, wire color, etc per scene.
    This would be extremely helpful for product configurations, where you have a bunch of parts that can be combined to create different versions of a product. It would be great if we could save the layer visibility as a preset and quickly swap between versions of the object without having to toggle a bunch of layers on and off

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multi-cut tool improvement from XSI

Hello! I'd like to suggest to improve the behavior of multicut tool. XSI has a perfect implementation of cut tool - I can start cut line from outside of the mesh or arbitrary point inside mesh or snap to some vertex. And I can define the end point absolutely the same way. After the start and end are placed, I can freely move them outside of the mesh or snap to where I want.
    Current implementation of maya mutli-cut tool is very limited in terms I described above. I can start cutting EITHER from the point inside the mesh and…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Combine name

Now that you have options for combine, could you add an option to keep the name of the last selected object as well? We have this made inhouse since a few years but it's always fun to get it out of box

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. A "smart" perspective camera with snapping and auto-orthographic mode

There's a GIF picture attached to this post that illustrates this suggestion — see it to get a quick idea.

Hi,

Latest release of Maya 2016 Extension 2 saw several and quite useful new features for camera controls, including the View Along Axis commands. Together with overall modeling improvements introduced over previous versions and the Extension 2, the modeling workflow in Maya has already become much more fun and artist-friendly. I think that while the development of new camera control features probably is still hot, we can make another step in this direction and further improve the modeling experience in…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enhance Select Similar to work with Objects

Enhance Select Similar to select similar objects based on topology similarity via threshold, rather than node similarity, right now it just selects all polygon objects which is redundant feature, instead make it select objects with similar topology or shape.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. QuadChamfer & procedural workflow for Maya!!!

I like Maya but I feel sometimes my workflow could be much faster in 3ds Max. How hard would it be to implement something like quad chamfer for Maya?
    There a polycount thread of someone really close to creating something similar http://polycount.com/discussion/164254/maya-surface-based-asset-generation
    Also when will Maya have a procedural generated workflow implemented?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make executing certain Maya functions like "select" or "extrude" multi-threaded instead of single core.

Executing some tasks may take minutes or hours depending on the number of objects selected. The time can be reduced by utilizing all the processors for tasks by subdividing the task among different processors. I have a 20 core computer, and I see that selecting 100 different geometries still takes about 5-10 minutes and is only utilizing a single core to perform this simple task.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Welcome 3ds Max user to Maya

Autodesk should listen to their users for what they want. It is 2016, the industry leading Maya software should be the best tool for Artists. I think what Artist and Autodesk want is one powerful 3D software. I know you guys want to develop Maya to keep up with its competitors, and would like to 3ds max user switch to Maya because you dont want to develop 3ds Max as Maya, So as a Max user for 7 years experience I would like to see some Max features in Maya to make me comfortable if I want to switch. I…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Lock selection in Attribute editor

A simple Lock selection button on the Attribute editor, so it doesn't change when selecting a different object. Copy Tab is annoying.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. channel box easy toggle on/off

My suggestion is to have some simple way toggling boolean values on or off, without having to click the value field, type "0" for off or "1" for on, then enter.

A simple middle or doubleclick-to-toggle would be best, I think. For multi-editing several fields, you could still type "0" or "1".

Btw, for normal values it would be nice to be able to middleclick/slide directly inside the channel box instead of having to move the pointer over to the viewport.

And... for normal values that have a 0..1 range like blendshape weights, it would be nice if the middleclick-slide…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Create tileable patterns along a spline

I would like to create some tileable geometry by
    1) select the edge loop I want from my model
    2) convert that edge to a spline
    3) attach the tilable geometry to the spline
    4) set the amount of duplicate copies of the tilable geometry I want and have all vertices merged.

I get really wierd results when attaching using attach to motion path and flow path object. Most of the times the lattice applied twists on itself messing the geometry and I can make the ends meet perfectly.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Native support to OpenVDB

Add OpenVDB tools (volumeToMesh, fracture) as nodes to Maya. Nodes interact with the viewport like any other node in Maya.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. normal

normal conform on different object

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. maya dynamics/fluid container

i think it would be awesome if we would be able to input texture in incandescence ramp. if we are making fire for example, we would insert real life fire texture and filter and arrange colors in the picture. that way it would give us more realistic shading

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  dynamics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Matrial Editor... HyperShade...

Change The hyperShade Workflow,Look and feel
    The way Hypershade Works, Change That Workflow

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Run installer insted of RPM

I understand that Developers for linux feel lost when users from different distributions ask for support!
    I have the solution. Instead of build a Red Hat Package, build a .run, it works for any Linux distribution, and another companies such as The Foundry, Nvidia had used this alternative, and please support Kernel 4, it will be the standart, even if kernel keeps evolving, it is the most stable in the recent years. You have QT, there is no limits now.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Xgen to reference image sequences to drive parameters

There's an extremely awkward method of using an image sequence to drive xgen parameters (involving ptexBake and baking a ptex map per frame based on the image sequence). It would be nice if there's an automatic way of doing this without having to use hacks. Maya could potentially have more Cinema4D mograph features if this was enabled.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base