Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users!

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT or Indie Games, please log them here |
Ideas for Maya LT-

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Interactive Bevels in Maya

Having interactive bevels on selection like this video shows it's possible with the addition of some Soup nodes, would be a major improvement to Maya modeling workflow. Being able to add and subtract bevels on selected edges on the fly , would make for a 10 stars addition to Maya's modeling toolset. Please consider this!
    https://vimeo.com/146695098

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hobbyist pricing for Maya, and other products.

If you're a student, you get Maya free for three years. After that, there is a considerable jump in price - thousands of dollars.

I'd like to see low cost options for those who don't make any money with Maya, with increments for those who do, based on the amount of money they make with it. The game engine Unity3D works this way. It's free until you make $100k per year. Unreal charges 5% of your income, but only if you make a certain amount.

A sliding scale for Maya would allow students to continue to use the product long…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Camera Improvements, height, tilt, overlay info, frustrum, metadata, etc

Was working on previz for a real world project and found maya cameras to be really unfriendly.

I suggest the following improvements:

1. Camera tilt - angle to horizon, no matter what the rotate x,y,z are.
    2. Camera height - set whatever ground plane and get realtime height.
    3. Change lens and have the "Camera Aperture" update to keep the same framing.
    4. Change "Camera Aperture" and update the lens to keep the same framing.
    5. Link/Unlink the "camera aperture" to lens.
    6. Rename "camera aperture" to sensor size?
    7. Have a customizable UI overlay for viewport which can be…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. A modern search system in Maya

It's the year 2016 and we still have to use an ancient search in Maya.

Say if we want to find lambert1 in the Hypershade.

We can't just type lamb for Maya to automatically guess, rather we have to type in lamb* or the whole name.

The technology exists because the autocomplete works really well in the node editor.

This same search upgrade should be used with the outliner and other areas of Maya.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Batch render capability to Arnold

Arnold being now the default renderer for Maya is close to useless without the ability to batch render. Please implement batch render with Arnold or include mental ray with Maya

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Prevent Stepped Preview from affecting Set Driven Keys

As an animator I was really excited when I first discovered the Stepped Preview function in Maya - it's basically one single button to toggle inbetweens on an animation, and it's non-destructive on already modified animation curves!

I instantly bound it to a hotkey and decided to try it out in my animation workflow, hoping to replace the slightly involved process of setting default out tangents to stepped, converting all curves to stepped, and then back again when finished blocking.

It was great! I would switch to stepped preview when I began blocking, then with the tap of a hotkey…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Turtle

We need Turtle to care about the tangent space in he object (right Handed and Left Handed). The default Transfer maps baker considers that brilliantly when baking , but Turtle doesn't. If I have to bake a normal map for Direct X engine and not for Open GL I'm stuck, as Turtle can only flip the green channel. This flipping operation is a simple trouble causing one. Flipping cause artifacts on the seams, while baking with Left handed binormals, makes the normal seamless. Please consider this. We are having big problems in production now, that we work ina direct X…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Arnold Render View dockable

Now that everything is dockable in Maya 2017, it is a shame that the new Arnold Render view is not docakble. Would make the UI perfect if it was!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow multiple shelves (like Houdini)

Would be helpful to see a Custom shelf and one of the built-in shelves at the same time. Or two built-in shelves. Or three built-in and two custom. Or any combo of them, in a fashion where a shelf set is just another window anywhere in the Maya 2017-style tabbed interface. Look at Houdini for inspiration.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Separate crease weights for each Blend Shape Target

Having unique edge weights in Blend Shape Targets would allow for creases to appear, for example, only in specific facial expressions. Currently it appears all Blend Shape Targets share the same crease weights, limiting their usefulness.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Disable Viewport 2.0 and OpenCL startup info

I'd like an option to disable the startup info (see below) that prints to stdout regarding Viewport 2.0 and OpenCL. Its quite a bit of text that is useful to very few people, so I'd like to disable it at my studio if possible. Having that debug text always printing results in loss of genuine information regarding crashes because it is muddled in with this generic info.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Initialized VP2.0 renderer {
    Version : 6.3.1.0. Feature Level 4.
    Adapter : Quadro 4000/PCIe/SSE2
    Vendor ID: 4318. Device ID :
    Driver : 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.59.
    API : OpenGL V.4.5.
    Max texture…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Maya 2017: Arnold render view defaults to exposure icon text box, not allowing use of Arnold shortcuts

When you open the Arnold Render View, the 'Show exposure icon' is on the toolbar by default. The exposure text field is auto selected and won't let you use the Arnold Review View shortcuts because it's treated as a text entry. The problem doesn't exist in 2016.5.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Notification sound for render completion

Nothing too fancy just add a notification sound option for rendering that a user can turn on and off to make the render babysitting end.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Protect objects from "Delete All by Type/History"

Protect objects from "Delete All by Type/History"

A simple attribute or something similar, to protect an object - polygon, group, etc. - from being affected by "Delete All by Type/History".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Easy bridge between Maya Polygons to Alias Nurbs modeling

Maya and Alias should have a much smoother and easier way of passing and converting data. An easy "live" bridge would be awesome. Currently its a mess as its impossible to get poly data to clean nurbs to begin with (can't keep hard corners, can't have open or creased edges). And even disregarding the surface problems that are created through the subdiv conversion Maya deletes the shaders before exporting as well which makes multiple objects or shells non selectable in Alias. Please have a look at this and make the bridge between Maya and Alias as smooth and elegant as…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. quad draw surface offset

to be able to set an amount of surface offset from the normals of the make live object.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Convert face,edge,vertex selection to loop-selection patterns

During complex hard surface modeling we need to be able to quickly make loop like selection patterns. Say you select one face, one gap,one face and then you need the software to continue the selection pattern for you in a loop. So whatever the selection you make first locally, Maya should be able to convert it in a loop pattern.
    I added an image to show what I mean. Also at 4.47 you can see in the link here how Modo handles that. This should be a major addition to the selection palette in Maya.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4uzIE1Q6n4

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Tree Generator System

A tree and plant generator built into Maya that resembles the OnyxTrees paradigm. The tool should allow users to create any type of tree that is polygon based that is automatically instanced within a scene.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base