Ideas for Maya forum

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas).

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya 2014, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Read Cory’s blog for more details.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Mudbox + Maya => MayaBox

Mudbox should be combined into Maya as Maya Scultor. Blender has it built-in. Without mixing them up, Mudbox will loose its ground to Zbrush. Currently, I believ a fraction of studio and individual are using Mudbox. Mudbox is a great tools but once you can combine it and make it like OpenSubdiv for maya where you can sculpt but the geometry remain the same that would be fantastic. JoeAlter Lipservice is the case in point but it is quite tedious.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Layout UVs into Multiple UV tiles

Now that Multi-Tile UV support has been improved in Maya 2015 there should also be some features to help auto layout the UVs into multiple tiles. For example the "automatic mapping" in Create UVs and the "Layout UVs" would need a "Shell layout" - "Into multiple squares" upgrade of the "into square" option, so the shells get disturbuted into a chosen range of UV tiles, while maintaining uniform scale and not overlapping tile borders.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve Mental ray Approximation integration

Mental Ray approximation can be really powerful for high subdivision and displacement.

Right now, it's hard to use, the work-flow is not intuitive and the approximation can only be set on shapes.

It would be a lot better if it could be plugged on transform nodes. So the whole hierarchy would have it instead of having one connection for each shape of the asset.

There should be an option to convert maya preview smooth to mental approximation, with a global control in the render settings (like in vray)

We cannot assign a subdivision to an alembic node. The gpucache doesnt…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unify the snap functions into one shortcut like Softimage.

Unify the snap functions into one shortcut key like in Softimage. You tick on all the snapping functions you would like and then holding down the Snap shortcut you will be able to snap to all the selcted or ticked functions.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Proper Non-Linear workflow

For example being able to easily change topology, uvs or shapes after the character has been enveloped would be a good start.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Transparent graph editor

The ability to set the background color of the graph editor to transparent (or even a opacity slider if possible).
    Often times, the graph editor take a lot of screen space, and I think if we could see through the background, it would feel less "intrusive".

I have attached a quick photoshop mockup

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Introduce MFnEnumArrayData

Please give es 'MFnData::kEnumArray' and 'MFnEnumArrayData', so that dependency nodes can accept custom enumeration type values.
    So, lets say we have a
    enum class customType
    {
    kVal1,
    kVal2,
    }
    it would be great to be able to send this to other DG nodes

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  scripting & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Softimage style Render in Viewport

Good implementation here:
    http://therenderblog.com/maya-viewport-render/
    Maybe integrate into maya....

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Workaround for openGL 16 light limit

Perhaps include some form of light deferring, etc to overcoming limit of 16 lights preview

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. update service packs without having to uninstall maya first

as name suggests. had to do this every-time with 2014. unbelievable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. graph editor- Spline selection buttons

it would be great to have drop down menu and 3 axis buttons in the graph editor that selected only and all splines based on x, y, and z axis of translation or rotation... for example... when you open the graph editor you get all splines on a control... in the case of animating a hand you have over 15 controls with 3 splines for rotate and a few for translate and also all splines on that node like FK/IK swap and blend parents, and a lot of splines that you would never really want selected at the same time...…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add upstream/downstream move to Node Editor

Currently the node editor only allows for one move nodes interaction, which is an all or nothing couple with the selection.
    It'd be tremendously useful to be able to move the node under the mouse and all upstream nodes or all downstream nodes, and to not alter the selection in the process.

ICE in Softimage has the upstream move with middle click, Houdini takes a step further and has upstream and downstream with modifiers.

Having a modifier + drag NOT selecting, but moving the layout (shift downstream, ctrl upstream) would both improve usability considerably, and avoid making layout work pollute…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. matte painting /camera projection toolbox

Hi
    would you please consider making matte painting easier in Maya?
    currently I use a custom plugin, like most studios.
    automatic surface shader setup/ blend projections.
    interactivity when modeling into a projection.( i would like to see it update in realtime as I model and move geometry around to catch the projection better.
    I use Nuke to finish my MP's but i really wish i could do 90% of the lifting in Maya.
    Maya is the industry standard for VFX and cg in film. Could we make sure we keep it this way.
    Many thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Crowd FX in Maya

Since Softimage is being discontinued it would be great to have a tool like CrowdFX in Maya. I am a Maya and Max user but I do use ICE and CrowdFX in Softimage as their is just nothing like it in any other Autodesk software. Populate recently came out in 3Dsmax but it has very little features and control. So having crowdFX inside of Maya would be a very welcomed addition.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Modeling Toolkit Transform Options enhancements

It would be great if when you are moving an object’s component, the numeric values within the Transform Options would display in real time so that you can get a general idea of how far you are moving the component as it is being dragged.

It would be beneficial if you could type in offset values for components relative to an object's local orientation. Currently, if an object is rotated 45 degrees and the axis is set to local and you type in a value of say .5 in the Z axis field, the component moves .5 in world space.…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base