Ideas for Maya forum

Welcome all Maya users! We have merged the Maya and Maya LT forums to make it easier to track and vote on items that apply to both packages.

Suggest and vote for ideas to improve Maya. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them again the “Unique to Maya LT” category.

To see the Ideas that we added to Maya, select “Completed” in the “Status” drop-down below. Then click “Hot Ideas” to return to ideas with recent activity or many votes. Describe both the steps to show the issue, and how you would prefer it. Enter each idea separately (we’ll remove items with multiple ideas) and assign a specific category. For ideas that you feel are specific to Maya LT, log them against the “Unique to Maya LT” category.

Read blogs from our resident Maya experts for updates on when ideas are released in shipping version of Maya. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/page/1/211.

For an issue that you think is easier to fix but still annoys you a lot, use the Small Annoying Things to fix in Maya forum. Issues in the Small Annoying Things forum are more likely to be fixed sooner, so don’t waste your votes on small things in this forum.|

Frequently Asked Questions | Report Maya Bugs

How can we improve Maya?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Let Maya LT keep its own feedback forum

Maya LT is a significantly different tool than Maya. This feedback forum merge has made it very difficult for me as a Maya LT-only user to parse what feedback is related to the software I actually use. The bulky amount of threads are deterring me from actually browsing and giving feedback on the software that is relevant to me.

I understand that there is a "Unique to Maya LT" category, but I have no idea what is actually unique to Maya LT or what it shares in common with Maya. Because of this, I'm likely to just mark everything as…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Unique to Maya LT  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integrate a Nuke-like file Proxy system for Textures, Image planes, etc.

Large image files can quickly bring Maya to it's knees by filling up main system Ram and GPU resources. But more often than not, we have no immediate need to see the full resolution of these image files inside Maya itself. Instead they are merely there to be fed to our final Render engine of choice. Be it Mental Ray, V-Ray, Arnold, etc.
    In the meantime, a much lower resolution placeholder would do just as well.
    In Nuke this is handled by their read nodes having a separate file path entry for a low-res Proxy version of the image(s) you…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  file import/export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix crease behavior when combining objects or adding geometry.

When combining two objects with creases on them, their assignment gets mixed around as the edge indexes change. Same thing happens when using some of the poly tools like Cut Faces, Multi-Cut, Extrude.
    If the creases are part of a Crease Set, this happens quite often. If they are baked into the object, it happens less often.
    The only workaround is to convert creases to hard edges, combine the meshes and then select the hard edges and crease them again which is not optimal if you plan to use more than one Crease Set.
    I would ask that the poly…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Return Cut Faces tool to Faces markup menu

In Maya 2014 the cut faces tool was in the top right slot of the shift-RightClick markup menu when you had faces selected. It seems the tool is still in Maya and intact, but it has been removed from the markup menu, and nothing has been added in it's place. Could you please put it back?

P.S. I know that it's still in the object mode shift-RightClick menu, but I want it back in the faces one, so I don't have to toggle between component types to get to the tool using the markup menu. Currently I have moved it…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Edit values within the node editor, directly on nodes.

I essentially want an objects channel box attributes visible/editable on its node so we can work directly out of the node editor.

I realize having this visible on every node would probably slow the UI down, so an on/off toggle per node would be nice.

You could go full/split screen with your viewport and node editor, and work exclusively out of those two windows.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bevel creates extra edge/face when adding 2 or more segments

I am puzzled by this certain "feature" when beveling that no other software has. Check attached images to see what i mean.

In some situations that extra edge/face is useful but in probably 99.5% that is not what you want and since there is no option in bevel to remove it right there while you are beveling you have to manually select those extra edges or faces and delete them.
    That leads to numerous extra steps of tedious zooming in and selecting usually tiny edges or faces to remove them thus breaking the whole fast modeling workflow.

If you thinking…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for mentioning this, Klaudio. I’m marking this as ‘Under Review’ as it’s an issue we’ve already investigated when you brought it up originally on CGTalk. We’ve got a solution in the works, so although we can’t make any promises for unreleased software, rest assured our intention is to include the fix in a future release. The reason why you don’t see it in Maya 2015’s Extension release is that a fix like this requires code that changes the API, and we don’t do that for extension releases (in order for plug-ins designed to work for Maya 2015 to continue working for any extensions or service packs that come out for that release). Again, thanks for persisting – it reminds us that the work we’re doing is going to directly impact seasoned modelers like yourself.

7. Select flipped UV shells

Add a way to easily select flipped UVs.
    Currently flipped UV shells are colored in red but there's no way to easily select them.
    Some game pipelines require that all flipped UVs be offset in the UV space by 1 and selecting them manually is a real time killer.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ignore UV flip for Unfold 3D & co

Add an option to ignore flipped UV shells or rather keep their current orientation when unfolding UVs.
    Would help a lot with symmetrical object that have mirrored UVs and require adjusting their UVs after they have been added.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. CryENGINE plugin

Maya LT supports only "Send to Unreal" and "Send to Unity" plugins. CryENGINE is one of the best tool for game development. But, Maya LT and CryENGINE can not work together because unfortunately, Maya LT does not support third-part plugins.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unique to Maya LT  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The Text tool should have history and be able to be updated dynamically.

The text tool should have exposed history and be able to be updated dynamically. I want to use it to test fluids, but I will use a simple example.

Polysphere radius attribute is connected to the text tool. As polyshere radius is changed, text tool updates dynamically. I will be able to see this change in my render as I animate the value. Of couse I can see this in the attribute editor, but I want to render these values as 3d text.

This could make 3d counters a snap as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI (user interface) / ease of use  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Better Autodesk Inventor importer for Maya

I know that Maya is not really for product designers, but I think a better importer of Inventor files, like the one in 3DS Max would be great! With a dialog box that lets you choose between meshes and body objects, and maybe an option that lets you include the material that the part has. This could make it easier to include design data into games or movies if needed. This could make Maya even more versatile!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make FBX capable of exporting and importing third party shader (e.g. V-Ray)

Some versions ago we could export a 3ds Max scene with FBX and import it into Maya and the texture connections were intact. With 2014 and 2015 this is not possible any more! After importing the texture connections were all lost.

The guys from Choasgroup say that this should be possible with FBX, but that "FBX exporter is not even reading the information we provide to the Maya legacy viewport. In theory, it can at least export what you see there - diffuse/specular/emission + texture."

Please fix this or make FBX Open Source, so that e.g. Chaosgroup can add the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Very Frustrated With Updates And Subscription Model

I have been a Maya user since the very first version of Maya, I must say that I am impressed with the improvements that Maya has had over the last year and a half. But I am a bit concerned with the way Maya is updating and the way that it is growing.

I primarily use Maya as a modeling tool. That being said, we are in a weird state in Maya right now where you have the normal Maya modeling tools and the modeling tool kit. And they don’t play nicely with each other…at all. (I can’t even predict…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to write up all of this, Nick. Your points are all valid and completely understood. I’m the designer who owns the area of modeling in Maya and I wanted to mention a few things in light of what you’ve shared.

Starting in the Summer of 2012, we built an internal team to focus exclusively on improving Modeling & UV workflows in Maya. Our first development work was delivered in the Maya 2013 Extension release (Fall 2012), where we improved a couple of things in modeling like Poly Reduce. In the follow-up release, Maya 2014, we introduced the Modeling Toolkit (amongst other things), which was essentially a basic integration of the popular NEX plug-in. We knew that Maya’s modeling feature set needed a significant boost and felt that the Modeling Toolkit would do that for us. It did. However, as you’re saying, the experience feels like…

14. Allow Folders to be created in Hypershade.

The Hypershade seems to be more difficult to manage when more environment and characters assets are introduced, it would be nice to have folders to manage textures as a pack for less confusion.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  texturing & materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add more options to Animate--> Turntable User Interface.

With the Animate--> Turntable User Interface, you should add more options like Render with Wireframe. This would automatically place a Wireframe just like "Wireframe on Shaded" in the Panel Shading options, but it would render out in Playblast, Maya Software, Maya Hardware, and Mental Ray.
    You should also be able to change the color of the Wireframe on the Turntable User Interface.
    This feature should also be Keyable for Animation. Turn On, Turn Off, and have an Opacity % Feature (Fading in and Out).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Welcome Maya LT Users!

Welcome Maya LT Users!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unique to Maya LT  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Overall improvements vs features

I would like to ask the Maya team and product managers to maybe consider improving/perfecting the features that you already have in place instead of adding more new features that are extremely buggy! Definitely the new modeling tools need better implementation. NEX Tools were absolutely perfect as third party plugin, now that it's part of Maya it does not work as well. There is a huge bug that in most cases prevents users from getting out of multi-component mode that is driving me crazy, it slows my workflow at least by 50%... Cut tool and many other tools don't work…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Custom Fresnel curves

It would be SO helpful to have the ability to graph out custom fresnel curves for shader work, like you can in 3DSMAX.

Ali

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Replace Maya cursors with Modeling Toolkit cursors, please bring back Hybrid Raycast/Marquee selection mode

Hi, I really love what you guys are doing for modeling! New pivot editing is just a dream. It's a very good move to integrate Modeling toolkit and then eventually get rid of it as a second layer. But two things you can do now to make it more robust, and it is fast to implement (SP update difficulty level :) ):

1. Unify cursors icons across Maya and Modeling toolkit, i believe modeling toolkit (dot for drag and cross-hair for marquee) cursors are much more robust than paintbrush for selecting faces/vertex/edges. Paintbrush is really an awkward to use in…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add UHD 4K Preset To Render Common Settings

Add a 3840X2160 Render Preset to the Common Render Settings Please, for some reason I just have a hard time remembering the numbers....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  rendering & lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base